For the people who don't read the front page - Anet Studio Update

Xenesis.6389

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-the-future-of-guild-wars-2/

The relevant wvw sections, wvw and balance updates(which they plan to do quarterly, once again(remember when they use to do this back in 2013/14?)). Plan is to do the world restructuring, update rewards, then look into the game play updates, strap on your delay hats, this could take some more years. No dates listed for the upcoming betas so throw the summer release window out I guess, they don't even list the monthly wxp bonus weeks for the events, we didn't get one this month I believe, so.....

FYI Relinks should be this week as well, hello bandwagons start your engines!

World vs. World

In the July 2021 ArenaNet Studio update, we said that we view World vs. World as a cornerstone game mode of Guild Wars 2. This statement still holds true for us, and now that Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons is released, we can further increase our support for WvW. Our priorities for WvW are largely unchanged from what we talked about in our “Future of World vs. World” blog post in September of last year.

First, we’re actively working on addressing population balance with the WvW World Restructuring system. In the blog post mentioned above, we said that we’d be taking a multiphase approach to building this system. We’re still in Phase One now, which is focused on standing up the complex backend infrastructure for the system and refining the matchmaking algorithm. We’ve run multiple Phase One betas over the past few months, and after taking a short break to release End of Dragons, we’ll be getting back to it. Right now, the team is tracking down an incredibly elusive, long-standing bug that causes queues to reset and throw players back to the end of the line—something that happens more often during the highly active beta events.

Second, we need to make WvW more rewarding for individuals. We took a small step recently by increasing the speed at which the skirmish reward track is completed, but there’s much, much more that we’d like to do, including providing better rewards for active participation.

As we mentioned last year, once population balance and rewards are addressed, our theory is that WvW gameplay will see a significant shift. At that point, we intend to look very hard at core WvW systems (upgrades, scoring, siege, etc.) and balance them to ensure that the WvW experience is still reflecting our vision.

Speaking of balance, profession balance has a huge impact on the WvW experience, whether you tend to play as a roamer, a havoc player, or if you choose to run with 49 (or more) of your closest friends. This brings us to our next area of focus.

Profession Updates

Balance and maintenance of Guild Wars 2‘s extensive combat system, including the latest elite specializations released with End of Dragons, is important for keeping gameplay engaging and varied across PvE, WvW, and PvP. Moving forward, we’ll be making professions and elite specialization updates a higher priority.

Our plan includes quarterly profession updates, with smaller releases in between as we monitor and respond to how the meta in each game mode takes shape. In addition to the number tweaks that you’re used to seeing, the team will be revisiting some underpowered and underused weapon skills, traits, or utilities for each profession in each profession update to help expand your arsenal. We will continue to make game-mode-specific balance adjustments as needed.

We’ll be releasing some PvP and WvW balance changes in the March 29 update, and our first major profession update will drop on June 28.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I was kind of surprised to see this update. Good to see we got some news, and hopefully we get more regular updates. This could bring a lot of positivity to the community, which I think the WvW section could use 😛 

Actually what got me most excited was not the alliance but that they mentioned revisiting sieges, upgrades, etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

At that point, we intend to look very hard at core WvW systems (upgrades, scoring, siege, etc.) and balance them to ensure that the WvW experience is still reflecting our vision.

I really wonder how their "vision" actually looks like ...

• Like 4

I'll see it and then  I'll believe it, since even if they fix balance, it always trickles from pvp. :s

That being said the success of the expansion is good news for the game as a whole, and at the end of the day without money you can't support anything. We've put off the deciding point for a bit so at the very least people can still enjoy the game for a while longer.

Also, guess fishing was really that popular. Please add proper fishing and skiffs to WvW. I mean, nobody goes in the water anyways except to get out.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt there is a meme to cover this. They spent so many words telling us what they always tell us. They need to pick one thing off their list for wvw and focus it down. More loot and scoring are probably the bottom of that list.

42 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Also, guess fishing was really that popular. Please add proper fishing and skiffs to WvW. I mean, nobody goes in the water anyways except to get out.

I go into the water to win fights cause there is actually damage there still 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I don't mean to be a doomer, but this post alarms me.

ANet is usually very secretive and bad at communicating, and now they're confirming a 4th expac a month after the 3rd? Feels more like panic to me. Like sales were not good and they're just trying to ensure they can keep the players they have by making long term promises.

Like I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it hasn't felt like the game has become significantly more active to me at all. I just get very strong vibes of "oh kitten, we're losing people and we hardly gained any. Quick, tell them something exciting!"

• Like 11
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Shroud.2307 said:

ANet is usually very secretive and bad at communicating, and now they're confirming a 4th expac a month after the 3rd? Feels more like panic to me. Like sales were not good and they're just trying to ensure they can keep the players they have by making long term promises.

Like I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it hasn't felt like the game has become significantly more active to me at all. I just get very strong vibes of "oh kitten, we're losing people and we hardly gained any. Quick, tell them something exciting!"

They're probably now realizing that END of Dwagons(the one main thing in their pve story for 10+ years) was probably not a good title to go with when so many people kept thinking it was the end of the game as the last expansion. Not like FF14 Endwalker, which also was an end to their long story, but it doesn't sound like the end of the game. FF also seemed to generate so much more hype for their expansion last year.

Also they said they've doubled their active player base, somehow, through just releasing living stories the last 3 years while their pvp side continues to slowly die, and EoD, somehow, out sold PoF already. So lack of sales doesn't seem the reason to announce so early, but their constant reassurance that this isn't the end of the game and more content is coming is pretty telling their marketing is once again not doing the proper job in delivering the right message. 🤭

This update also doesn't do much to assure wvw of it's "near" future, it's the same song and dance we've been hearing for the past eight months, you're the cornerstone! here's your betas! expansion releases... back to crickets... betas? what betas? yeah that thing you had two months ago? oh, right, whenever we get time after the one wvw dev working on the queue bug is done, sorry we got pve stuff to do and another pve expansion to plan!

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Second, we need to make WvW more rewarding for individuals...

..including providing better rewards for active participation.

Maybe they can start by copy and pasting those new expansion trinkets that are gated behind the Strike missions into our Skirmisher or Notaries vendors. Since some of those maps are kind of empty unless you LFG and WvW maps can empty out fast after prime time squads cool off, they can reserve some shards of those xpac maps for flagged pvp. I'd like to fight around New Kaineng City while I wait on EBG queue or whatever.

Even if Anet rolled out all the stuff they've talked about for WvW tomorrow, it's still goin to be kind of stale and repetitive, although when prime time is happening it's still a lot of fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Like sales were not good and they're just trying to ensure they can keep the players they have by making long term promises.

it wouldn't surprise me. when you do no balance updates, no meaningful new content etc. and the feeling that the game is being abandoned starts to fester for months then years, well how could anet not see it coming. there is the fact that other games are doing their own updates and full new game releases to consider such as lost ark, so maybe that is taking away some players.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

I doubt there is a meme to cover this. They spent so many words telling us what they always tell us. They need to pick one thing off their list for wvw and focus it down. More loot and scoring are probably the bottom of that list.

I go into the water to win fights cause there is actually damage there still 😂

All water will be removed from WvW to adress that.

Alpine Bay  will have a frozen lake.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

I've been saying this brooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

It's def them promising early on so they can somehow keep people around to play or have the incentive to come back. 

I can't think EoD was such a success as to not see anything around it on the week's release....

Also isn't Daddy NCSoft pumping money into another MMO planned rn?

Not to mention that now that EoD is "over" and at some point the must take a look at comp modes, they'll start chewing the gum "our efforts are now directed towards the 4th expansion of the game".

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

All water will be removed from WvW to adress that.

Alpine Bay  will have a frozen lake.

Kind of like how ebg blue watergate can no longer be sieged because siege cant be places in the water. (Theres 1 small dot you can place a ram on on the wall base.) wE cArE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gwaihir.1745 said:

Kind of like how ebg blue watergate can no longer be sieged because siege cant be places in the water. (Theres 1 small dot you can place a ram on on the wall base.) wE cArE

is that true or ur trolling? :D i dont think water there is that deep to disalow siege placement o.O

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Gwaihir.1745 said:

WoW!

Guess omni zerg invading that gate vs a empty server is balanced xD ahahahhaha

Jokin asside i can imagine why, since  line of sigh advantage for whom is outside is astonishing, aoe classes can break LoS and aoe everything even those stairs and targets above since one can bomb targets on upper floors reason why EBG keep has 2 floors tight to each other and lord was moved down :).

Edit:

Soon zergs will remmember how broken is blue keep wurm tunel when atacking it :) since there isnt a simple counter to catapults there, while they can bomb floor of the above enemies.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

3 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

lmao I missed that part. They really are promising the sun, the moon and the stars.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

WvW and PvP feel dead but that's mostly vets going on hiatus because of how empty the expansion was for those modes. I have seen piles of guildless 'scouts' and the like wandering in WvW. I'm sure the numbers are fudged a bit from mystic coin accounts but I can buy that the player base has doubled thanks to Covid and WoW dropping off a cliff.

I think this is just them settling down after the expansion and setting goals. If history is any indicator I'd be ready for many of these goals to experience delays and/or partial completion, but goals are there and Anet has historically fulfilled said goals even if it isn't always timely (or related to balance patch consistency).

• Like 3

I'm not holding my breath.  The promise of increased balance cadence was not upheld *immediately* last time.  They didn't even do a single extra attempt.

If they do a decent job I'll eat my words and come back to playing, but almost everyone that regularly plays the competitive modes has lost all faith in this company's ability to maintain their older (and generally superior) competitive content.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

i'm yet seriously disgusted about what i read... anet will try to destroy the meta of Wvw worst case... pirateship ahoi :S they've shown hundred times by now that they have no clue about balance.

therefore, i am NOT LOOKING FORWARD to these "big changes in Wvw"

there's no PoF metaclass that they can hit without the whole group comp crashing. it's gonna be superfun if they make this threat come true :Y

• Like 2

4 hours ago, God.2708 said:

WvW and PvP feel dead but that's mostly vets going on hiatus because of how empty the expansion was for those modes.

This is what I'm thinking too. I noticed a pretty steep decline in activity the first couple weeks after the expac, but my initial thought was that everyone was just grinding out PvE stuff and they'd be back within a week.
Two or three weeks passed and I still didn't see all the "regulars" that I recognize coming back to WvW, and it has continued to feel a little lower on energy. 

To be clear though, I've heard a lot of good things about the PvE content, and that's great. I don't doubt a lot of people are preoccupied with that, and maybe I'm seeing the worst of it because I did like 1 day of PvE then went back to WvW. 

But this announcement just comes off as... Desperate... When I read what they've said compared to how they've handled things in the past. Just because they say there's been increased activity and good sales doesn't mean it'll last for long. 

Again, I don't mean to sound like a doomer. I really hate to be pessimistic about anything. I'm just... Suspicious, lol.

• Like 2