Outfits vs. Armor Skins - Which do you prefer?

MrWubzy.3587

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd prefer armos over outfits any day. Armors let's you mix and match where outfit all look the same. Mixing things up offers more variety for player to express themselves in how their toons look where outfits make it so that everyone and their mother looks kinda the same. If more fancy armors made it to the game, obtainable by playing the game and not in the gemstore, I'd be totally ok with selling outfits on the gemstore, but since that's not a thing, I'd rather have ANet release their outfits as armors.

Armor skins is so much more worth than outfits imo. I really really want to see more armor skins, especially that is more inspired from each race fashion. I find it really hard to find a good armor mix for my asura female engineer for example. Most of the skins clips really bad and doesnt fit the asura body shape at all. They all look almost the same, just some different details. Same for norn and charr.

Some armor skins i really wish for:• A lot more sylvari skins• Skins with fur and pelt details• More Vabbi inspired skins• Pants for light armor• No more trenchcoats and buttcapes (theres alot already)• Scale the armor better for non human body shapes.• Separate asuran male and female fashion, please.• Just more skins :D

Im not against outfits, but I would love them a lot more if i could wear an outfit with another helm piece.We can already hide headpiece of any outfit, so why not show the headpiece of the normal armor, then.I have so many headpieces that fit better with some outfits than the headpiece that comes with some outfits.

And while we’re on the subject of headpieces, why not release them for the normal wardrobe as well. The Hexed Outfit (F) has a great headpiece I can use with so many armorsets.Same with the Witch’s Outfit (M)

Armor skins all the way. Some clipping is an acceptable price to pay for at least having the option to combine the looks. There are quite a few outfits I would've bought if they were armor sets. But a almost fully premade look simply isn't appealing to me.

There is more individuality with armor. MANY of the outfits are distasteful. It's either an ugly headpiece, coats or clunky-ness. Marjory's & Kasmeer's armors look better than the actual outfits. Their outfits are a dumbed down version. The outfits are an excuse to do a poor job on something that takes half the time armor sets do. If Anet wanted to bank, they'd hold an outfit design contest or release more GW1 armors as outfits.

They both have things going on for them but I feel armor skins offer way more flexibility, outfits would have to have some crazy effects to make up for it. I do wish that it was possible to make a combination of the two (as in a hiding option for every part of the outfit which would reveal the armor skin you're wearing beneath it unless your hiding it too or the player getting a complete set of armor skins upon purchasing the outfit just like how it is with the head skin of the Fallen Balthazar outfit) but that's not going to happen.

I voted both, because it all depends on which character of mine I'm focusing on. For my main it's outfits or nothing - I can never choose a armor combo I like on her. But on other characters of mine I do prefer armor over outfits. Honestly I am torn between the two, but I do have a special place in my heart for outfits.

Armor skins even if it means more development time, and mixing and matching pieces with others might clip, that should be for the player to worry about and create their own custom look IMO. Gemstore armor skin sets would be nice. Would like to say this game lacks decent looking armor skin heels ;) I always wanted to be able to use like the human wedding dress style of heel with the rest of my look, but most of the good looking heels in the game are a part of outfits like Kasmir's or the wedding dress etc. Would make for a good gemstore item.

• 1 month later...

So the Dervish OUTFIT just came out. Anet keeps making outfits, when going by this thread it seems clear, armor is the preferred choice. Kinda disappointing, there's parts of the outfits I'd like to have as individual armor to mix n match. I know it can be hard for Anet, but they just dropped gem armor entirely for gem outfits :(

Armour skins. Part of the fun is mixing and matching outfits to create unique looks that makes me feel more attached to the character, more immersed in the world, and gives me a personal experience that will make me spend more $$$ on the game.

I have nothing against Outfits except that their development seems to take away time from the creation of armor skins. If both could exist, I wouldn't begrudge Outfits. However, it seems like it's one over the other.

Both because in general I feel that almost all the armour sets that they've added in game since launch have been as ugly as sin (the gem store ones on the other hand are great). Nearly all my characters are in cultural, gemstore armour or WvW medium armour (as it's one of the few non trenchcoat options and they do love their trenchcoats and butt capes).

At least the outfits give a change of pace and aren't so asymmetrical that it looks like someone forgot what they were designing half way through but carried on regardless.

I use outfits almost exclusively, simply because almost all armor skins are completely uninteresting. I'd like more options in that regard. There's plenty of cool head piece options, but then you get stuck with things like all medium armor looking like overcoats that flare at the hips and look ridiculous, etc. Outfits generally show more inventiveness and fit better on the toons.

@Biff.5312 said:I use outfits almost exclusively, simply because almost all armor skins are completely uninteresting. I'd like more options in that regard. There's plenty of cool head piece options, but then you get stuck with things like all medium armor looking like overcoats that flare at the hips and look ridiculous, etc. Outfits generally show more inventiveness and fit better on the toons.

Good to hear some truth. For all the inventiveness and creativity that armor skins grants the players, by the posts you hear around here, you'd assume all armor is just amazing and had done no wrong.

I wish some of the limitations on armor (or outfits for that matter) could be worked on but at the end of the day, I find myself using armor skins less and outfits more, not because of the current trend of more outfits, but because no interesting or good looking or unique armor is being pushed out or has been pushed out in a while. Just flash, glitter, gaudy and bulky (and don't get me started on back pieces).

No one says armor are without any fail. What we say is that, instead of improving armor ang giving us more options to be creative (Like medium torso-pieces that aren't longcoats, or light pants without "buttcapes") they use all the effort in creating outfits. Why are the best pieces always part of the non mixable stuff? Why do they make outfits "superior" while neglecting armor pieces? I would love to buy some of the boots in the outfits for my designs. But they aren't obtainable outside the fixed look.

Archived