Dusk / Dawn Fishing - Increase the drop rate

I have spent at least 20 dusk/dawn cycles in the last 5 days sitting in Iron Marches for the Ascalonian Fisher. Not even the Avid yet. I've used roughly 1k lures and the same in bait, and have yet to drop Muskellunge. After 6 consecutive hours in Iron Marches, I sent a ticket in and an in-game bug report. 

First response: "We ask that, when possible, you reattempt to catch the Muskellunge again. If after attempting to catch the fish again and you still are unable to catch it, we then ask that you submit an in-game bug report."

Two hours later, still waiting for my 5 minute chance. In which I get 3 fish per node, and maybe 4 nodes or 5 starting in Bloodfin Lake.

Second response: "Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your ideas about increasing the drop rate for the fish in question! We ask and encourage players to post their ideas in our forums."

On my next Dusk cycle, I caught the elusive Muskellunge. But it took TWENTY ONE separate 5 minute windows. In my last attempt, in the 5 minute window, I caught 12 things from 4 nodes, 1 trash item, one partially chewed box, and 10 fish. 1/10 was the Musk, 10% chance. Out of the 12, 8.3% chance. But, if you use that math for 21 cycles, maybe average of 12 fish each dusk or dawn, that's 1/252 chance, 0.003 drop rate. 

The Ascalonian Fisher collection has two Dusk/Dawn fish, the legendary to me seems like the impossible fish, unfair to be stuck in a 5 minute window. Especially considering a 0.003 drop rate, and you have to do the collection twice. All of this was done at 875 FP, using Fish Pancakes and a maxed out Fishing Party buff, and Jade Lures. I could have used the Tips on Fishing for an additional 50, but I would have to leave every time it ran out, and lose my Fishing Party buff.

Please increase the drop rate for dusk/dawn specific fish. A, I should not be fishing up trash items (Broken Fishing Hook) at 875 FP. B, if you do increase the rate, let us know the real numbers, not an arbitrary increase. Ex. "Increased legendary fish drop rate from 5% to 8%." Not "Increased legendary fish drop rate by 5%". 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, warherox.7943 said:

That would be a good change, same with removing Day/Night fish from the fish table during those times.  They supposedly increased the Saltwater fish drop rate from nodes with the latest update but I'm not seeing much improvement. 

They should have a table just for Dusk/Dawn fish during those times, from trash up to the legendary tier. 

• Like 5

Hard agree with all the comments in here. I'm now doing Avid Ascalonian Fisher, and going back to the map to fish for 5 minutes, which is normally 3x3 = 9 casts for me as I can't get to a 4th fishing hole in the time limit, is disheartening. And then fishing up multiple catfish. I realise this is an achievement, so some effort is involved, but how many 5-minute windows are we supposed to be fishing, from the perspective of the devs? 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Hard agree with all the comments in here. I'm now doing Avid Ascalonian Fisher, and going back to the map to fish for 5 minutes, which is normally 3x3 = 9 casts for me as I can't get to a 4th fishing hole in the time limit, is disheartening. And then fishing up multiple catfish. I realise this is an achievement, so some effort is involved, but how many 5-minute windows are we supposed to be fishing, from the perspective of the devs? 

I was getting 12 total fish on a good cycle, but that was assuming the nodes were easy to get to in that 5 minutes and that my boat wasn't getting hit. The skiff buff giving you 10 seconds to kill a mob or two is not generous enough and is it's own problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sassypenguin.4627 said:

I was getting 12 total fish on a good cycle, but that was assuming the nodes were easy to get to in that 5 minutes and that my boat wasn't getting hit. The skiff buff giving you 10 seconds to kill a mob or two is not generous enough and is it's own problem.

12 fish in a good cycle round up those lures around 240 and not 1k :classic_happy:

But you can do the Ascalonian collection in a better spot and without using the skiff (usually you need the skiff just for 1 fishing node) 

Just go to  [&BGQBAAA=] - Breach Water Waypoint in Diessa Plateau and you will see it's a much better spot to fish

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, KoSs.3027 said:

12 fish in a good cycle round up those lures around 240 and not 1k :classic_happy:

But you can do the Ascalonian collection in a better spot and without using the skiff (usually you need the skiff just for 1 fishing node) 

Just go to  [&BGQBAAA=] - Breach Water Waypoint in Diessa Plateau and you will see it's a much better spot to fish

12 x 21 cycles is what it took, and you need the skiff for the fishing party buff + getting to nodes faster

• Sad 1

I'm addicted to fishing this is true however, I'm becoming more and more frustrated with the Dusk/Dawn cycles, they're far too short compared to the other cycles.
The dev's need to address this, they either need to extend the time on fishing during this time frame, remove other fish that are in the rng table, or buff the ones that show up only during that time frame.

I'm currently stuck on Avid Ascalonian Fisher (Golden Trout), and Orrian Fisher (Dusky Grouper) which is supposed to be a common catch? It's really annoying having to be around for a certain time exactly every day for several days, just to get some stacks on the skiff, and hope you don't aggro mobs (cause god help the skiff being durable & holding any stacks you have claimed), not to mention the main point of it all, hoping to god you acually get the fish you need.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having dawn/dusk woes as well - the window is way too short to make any good use out of, especially with day/night fish being thrown into the drop pool as well. I just want to finish "A Strange Diet", is that so much to ask?

EDIT: So complaining worked and I got the fish I needed, but it doesn't change that the drop rate for dawn/dusk fish are pretty bad.

Edited by Ozimul.9185
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ozimul.9185 said:

I'm having dawn/dusk woes as well - the window is way too short to make any good use out of, especially with day/night fish being thrown into the drop pool as well. I just want to finish "A Strange Diet", is that so much to ask?

EDIT: So complaining worked and I got the fish I needed, but it doesn't change that the drop rate for dawn/dusk fish are pretty bad.

Imagine the fact that you need 1 for strange diet, plus collectionist in me needs to keep one, but my Avid collection remains uncomplete.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Agreeing with all the oponions above. Currently on my 20th nigth and 40th dawn/dusk cycle. Still missing Old Whiskers and Golden Trout in Ascalon and not really feeling like getting them any time soon. The drop rate is a joke, even with full maxed out fishing power. Please increase the drop rate. Tired of getting fishes I dont need..

Edited by Tessi.2398
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, Antycypator.9874 said:

Dusk/Dawn is just 5 minutes window. It's easy when there is only 1 Dusk/Dawn fish, but some places e.g. Channel Fish in Kaineng is pure hell because 50% of the catches is Blowfish.

Yeah, the taimen took me around 380 pulls.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just wasted 5 day/night cycles in Iron Marches to get that kitten Muskellunge (with 99 stacks buff and food) before I gave up.  

Dusk/Dawn fishes mustn't have the same drop rate of day/night fishes, simply because for the first ones you only have 5 min real-time to catch them and if you don't manage to, you'll have to wait 1 hour before trying again and that's just very bad design! 🤬

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I keep going to Frostgorge whenever it's close to dusk. Still no mystic remora. You have 9 chances but then all you get is 7 boreal cods and 2 icy lumpfishes. At most it could improve with leaving out the day or night and being the any kind at most, but the problem is it's just 5 minutes and then 55 minutes wait. Some of the nodes are surrounded by several mobs that will go attack you. You are better off ignoring them and hoping your skiff resists till you are done. The day and night cycle wasn't made to fit fishing but shoving fishing into it wasn't a good idea. All I need for many collections are those. It's ironic when you get ascended or even legendaries but not that stupid lower tier one lol.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have to agree with OP.  A low RNG on an item that can only drop in a 5 minute window every now and then is too much.

Also the mobs have to go! Their agro range and respawn rate makes specially the few chances we have during the few minutes during dusk and dawn more frustrating.

Who thought it was a good idea to ad day and night fish in the 5 short minutes we have at dawn and dusk?
Who thought it was a good idea to put fishing holes at FAST respawning enemies?
Who thought it was a good idea that mobs can harm you and your boat but you cannot harm them unless you LEAVE the boat, leaving a MERE 10 second window to kill ALL agro?
Who thought it was a good idea to NOT give us a health bar of the boat when anchored so we at least can see if the damage is serious or we can ignore it and keep fishing?

To me, fishing has become a frustrating activity after the initial fun I had with it in calmer waters. 

Loosing a 99 stack due to level 9 krait constantly attacking you and the boat does that to a person.

Edited by Tuna Bandit.3786
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

After starting with fishing about a week and a half ago and having very strange RNG, I'm starting to think that fishing is affected by diminishing returns. I often got more legendaries while still stacking the fishing party to about 30 or 40 compared to when it is at 99.

On top of that the dusk/dawn fishes are just another proof IMO, that a lot of devs do not play their game. How on earth can anyone think, that a 5min window with a shared loot pool is a good idea?

I really considered buying a nice skiff or maybe even a fishing rod from the store, but I'm so frustrated after 9/30 and still on the first completion of ascalonian fisher, that I will refuse to spend anything until fishing is basically fixed. Fishing is not even close to the relaxing activity I expected... it's just a frustrating and not-rewarding timewaste at this point.

Edited by doenerfritze.2648
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Have to agree on this. I've lost count how many dusk/dawn cycles I've gone thru trying to catch the Mystic Remora. And if/when I finally manage to catch it I'll have to do it again for the avid collection.
For now I've pretty much stopped trying since it's not fun anymore. Also still missing Golden Trout and Muskellunge from the avid collection, tried both many times but less than that kitten remora.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Going to add my two cents about fishing.

The Dusk/Dawn catches need adding to either Day or Night, and during Dusk/Dawn you can pull from both tables.

Aside from that. I have completed 26 (almost 29) individual fishing achievements, I am still waiting for my last two catches to finish the first Saltwater Fisher Achievement. I think there should be specific fishing nodes to fish for Saltwater fishes (The Maguuma "Saltwater" fishing nodes should be renamed Maguuma Sea or something).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Glad that this thread is still going! I finished my Ascalonian, but the Branded Eel took me an additional 4 night cycles after my Musk catch. I wish they fully released the loot tables, and made FP better impact the rarity of fish, instead of just the ease in catching. You shouldn't be catching White level fish at 925 FP, during your dusk/dawn cycle, on top of fighting random mobs to keep the skiff alive! Great points all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fishing should be a relaxing pastime. With the quick jaunts back and forth to continue working on collections for a painfully short amount of time (I can't help the wordplay, I'm a mesmer), it's difficult to say that fishing is relaxing when your available time is five minutes of every hour. Also, the issue of enemy attacks is quite frustrating to me. I can hardly settle down at a node without some random mob tearing my boat apart. I have no way of knowing how my skiff is doing when I'm standing on top of it, which makes it hard to gauge if I should deal with the threat. Beyond this, I have to leave my skiff and burst down this enemy and get back on to maintain my fishing party buff within 10 seconds. The fact that I have to leave my skiff is annoying. I could easily use ranged attacks, but shooting down into the water always says that the enemy is invulnerable. If these problems could be fixed, I would say that fishing could return to the blissful peace that it initially was when I started my journey in Seitung Province.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/24/2022 at 8:57 PM, doenerfritze.2648 said:

After starting with fishing about a week and a half ago and having very strange RNG, I'm starting to think that fishing is affected by diminishing returns. I often got more legendaries while still stacking the fishing party to about 30 or 40 compared to when it is at 99.

I was wondering about this myself.  Fishing stacks demand that you stay in one map doing just one thing for a very long time.  Diminishing returns demand that you change up what you are doing and what map you are on.  I would hope that fishing is not affected by DR but I could imagine it being subject to the same reward coding.  Though I have not actually noticed getting worse fish.  Even at the end of a couple of hours working on Orrian fishing today, I was getting high quality fish occasionally mixed in with my 20 of the same darn green fish.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1