What is currently safe to "learn" or consider maining in PvP

fluxGER.8416

Hello, I spent the last 2 month playing PvP everyday with a different class. What is the general opinion on which professions atm are worth the time to learn and perfectionist in ? Some insight of some of the better players is highly appreciated , cuz its driving me nuts 🙂 

cheers !

Its safe to main necro or guardian as those are the company favorites. They will always probably be meta and be busted in some way or another. They are also really safe and braindead easy to play. With these 2 it makes it easier to climb out of the lower ranks with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

39 minutes ago, fluxGER.8416 said:

Yes I expected that answer 😄

1 thing I often see especially in random ranked games is that highly skilled players DOMINATE everyhting with ranger. But you never ever see one in the AT‘s . What about that?

It's a class good vs low tier players.. but has limited skill ceiling, no busted skills doing a trilliong things with a single button, clear animations and enough time to down between one rotation and another, easy to lock down and almost no access to stability, plenty of skills/utilities with 1s+ cast time

• Like 1

Go with what you like. Each class has its own mechanics and playstyle, those options will differ a lot if you want something teamfight oriented, roamer, etc.

Also, you could just hop in with a class that has a build considered meta. Last balance patch hit on tuesday so don't expect any changes before months.

Anyway, builds will not do everything, you will still have to master it and rotate properly to shine.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

It's a class good vs low tier players.. but has limited skill ceiling, no busted skills doing a trilliong things with a single button, clear animations and enough time to down between one rotation and another, easy to lock down and almost no access to stability, plenty of skills/utilities with 1s+ cast time

In a way that is sort of balanced and how most classes should be. With the exception of the toxic BS that comes from the condi core ranger. That is the only ranger player that i despise and believe is ruining the game. That pulsing root is kitten and their ability to run away is ridiculous. I found the best way to beat them in the sense of winning an sPvP match is just ignore them. They want you to chase them but without GS they cant chase you. So i just rotate.

Tangent Over.

I would add that if you are looking to make it to top ranks in pvp in the game then you have to play meta. It doesnt seem worth it though because of the match manipulations going on as well as the low population. There is another thread in the forum about climbing. Its much easier to climb on a fresh account than one that has a messed up MMR from where you were learning to play.

If you dont care about that and want something fun with a high skillcap that can feel rewarding to stomp someone with then ele or spellbreaker is a good pick but they are far from meta. (weaver was recently knocked off its place in meta but its still good an really fun)

High skillcap and still meta is power herald. That could be rewarding to learn and i can atleast respect a good herald player that beat me. Not so much with necro, guard or condi ranger.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Matthius.9104 said:

In a way that is sort of balanced and how most classes should be. With the exception of the toxic BS that comes from the condi core ranger. That is the only ranger player that i despise and believe is ruining the game. That pulsing root is kitten and their ability to run away is ridiculous. I found the best way to beat them in the sense of winning an sPvP match is just ignore them. They want you to chase them but without GS they cant chase you. So i just rotate.

Tangent Over.

I would add that if you are looking to make it to top ranks in pvp in the game then you have to play meta. It doesnt seem worth it though because of the match manipulations going on as well as the low population. There is another thread in the forum about climbing. Its much easier to climb on a fresh account than one that has a messed up MMR from where you were learning to play.

If you dont care about that and want something fun with a high skillcap that can feel rewarding to stomp someone with then ele or spellbreaker is a good pick but they are far from meta. (weaver was recently knocked off its place in meta but its still good an really fun)

High skillcap and still meta is power herald. That could be rewarding to learn and i can atleast respect a good herald player that beat me. Not so much with necro, guard or condi ranger.

I certainly dont wanna be in the top 100. BUT I want a class that doestn rely much on the RNG that the nature of random ranked matches give me . For example playing a core Necro, yeah its Meta and nice but it relys on a team that knows wtf is going on. Spellbreaker could be a strong "soloq" class 🙂

For solo play, avoid necro, guard, thief, although they're very good in a proper team, they can't carry solo if the team don't work with them.

Engi, Rev, Ranger have been for a long time the best solo performers, because they've quite self-sufficient. They dont "need" someone else to do something for them to work. Mesmer used to be a strong solo performer, but that hasn't been true for a while now.

Ele, the less said the better. Prior to EoD I would also have put warrior in the garbage-tier, but bladesworn is actually pretty good, so, not sure where it goes now.

• Thanks 1

Guard/Necro. Safest picks since god knows when. DPS Guard falls off when you hit like top 50 of the ladder but... yeah, that's pretty irrelevant to most of us. They can fill every roles to some degree, great dueling potential, really sturdy for the most part.

Thief/Rev/Mes also have great solo carry potentials, specially in low/mid gold where people really neglect sidenodes, but they have a really steep learning curve since you also need to learn an entire role/playstyle alongside the class (roaming is a different mindset than focusing on node fights).

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Thanks 2

rev and thief the safest bet

ranking in terms of meta up time/ being relevant

thief is S+

rev is S

engi is A+

guard/necro is A

the rest doesnt matter.

war is F-

only play war if you want to be meta for 2 months and be completely irrelevant for 3 years after and repeat.

also don't believe anything about thief is not good outside of proper team, not true.

thief easily one of the best carry classes.

Edited by felix.2386
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Hi welcome to PvP.

Before mastering a particular class, try to master first map rotation, what you'll do when teammates "scatter" after winning mid and home, when not to contest/counter a point, when to ignore/prioritize map specific buffs, etc.

I suggest Thief. Great ones are hard to come by and there's a significant difference in skill level between most thieves and the really good ones. With practice, one can improve drastically. 

Guardian, necro and rev are also "safe" pics. 

You also mentioned ranger and if you've been playing it, keep it up. 

Edited by greedywholesome.9081
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Ragnar.4257 said:

For solo play, avoid necro, guard, thief, although they're very good in a proper team, they can't carry solo if the team don't work with them.

Engi, Rev, Ranger have been for a long time the best solo performers, because they've quite self-sufficient. They dont "need" someone else to do something for them to work. Mesmer used to be a strong solo performer, but that hasn't been true for a while now.

Ele, the less said the better. Prior to EoD I would also have put warrior in the garbage-tier, but bladesworn is actually pretty good, so, not sure where it goes now.

Guard is the best solo class of all time, wtf are you talking about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

Guard is the best solo class of all time, wtf are you talking about.

The only meta guard build is support.

Support, on any class (its the same for tempest, healbreaker, anything), sucks for solo play. If your team are useless, you can't carry using a support build. You need a high damage build that can quickly secure kills and snowball.

And its the same with necro and thief. If your team doesn't move around you or make space on the map for you to get stuff done, then you'll find that there's just nowhere for you to go. If, as a thief, your team is constantly getting steam-rolled in teamfights, then you'll find that the enemy team can easily dedicate 2 duelists/bruisers to prevent you getting any decaps or ever finding a favourable +1. 

To spell it out again, we're talking here about what allows you to carry when playing solo in ranked. Not what is best in an organised tournament team. These are two different things. When playing solo, you need something that can secure kills even if your team sucks, and which can take 1v1s against most opponents. Just like how some classes don't really perform so well in organised tournament teams (eg. Ranger) there are other classes that don't perform so well in solo, while still being great in organised tournament teams. Do try and distinguish these concepts.

Edited by Ragnar.4257

1 hour ago, Ragnar.4257 said:

The only meta guard build is support.

Support, on any class (its the same for tempest, healbreaker, anything), sucks for solo play. If your team are useless, you can't carry using a support build. You need a high damage build that can quickly secure kills and snowball.

And its the same with necro and thief. If your team doesn't move around you or make space on the map for you to get stuff done, then you'll find that there's just nowhere for you to go. If, as a thief, your team is constantly getting steam-rolled in teamfights, then you'll find that the enemy team can easily dedicate 2 duelists/bruisers to prevent you getting any decaps or ever finding a favourable +1. 

To spell it out again, we're talking here about what allows you to carry when playing solo in ranked. Not what is best in an organised tournament team. These are two different things. When playing solo, you need something that can secure kills even if your team sucks, and which can take 1v1s against most opponents. Just like how some classes don't really perform so well in organised tournament teams (eg. Ranger) there are other classes that don't perform so well in solo, while still being great in organised tournament teams. Do try and distinguish these concepts.

So what are the classes you would suggest then ? If thief for example isn´t good for soloq carry potential ? What are really good duelists ? Spellbreaker? Ranger of any kind ? Would love to hear your opinion 🙂

5 minutes ago, fluxGER.8416 said:

So what are the classes you would suggest then ? If thief for example isn´t good for soloq carry potential ? What are really good duelists ? Spellbreaker? Ranger of any kind ? Would love to hear your opinion 🙂

I'd say holo is generally the strongest ranked spec. It can duel fine, it can teamfight and it has above average mobilty. 

Herald is also up there, so is spectre.

• Like 1

For solo play you want to play a class/build :

Which has 100-0 within 2s burst capability

And with great movements to disengage kite and roam to carry ur mates.

Most of the time best carry class are roamer/dps ones. And because u are a carrier u can even fill the 1v1 sidenode kiting role when needed ie when your team has been killed, its the best to buy time. And keep in mind that this playstile is nort worth the whole game just when buying time is relevant.

Also try to find the easiest to kill opponent and just prevent him to play. It helps a lot.

Ah and there will be another carrier facing you most of the time. If u lose to him or cant secure kill on him, u lose.

2 hours ago, chokela.4823 said:

For solo play you want to play a class/build :

Which has 100-0 within 2s burst capability

And with great movements to disengage kite and roam to carry ur mates.

Most of the time best carry class are roamer/dps ones. And because u are a carrier u can even fill the 1v1 sidenode kiting role when needed ie when your team has been killed, its the best to buy time. And keep in mind that this playstile is nort worth the whole game just when buying time is relevant.

Also try to find the easiest to kill opponent and just prevent him to play. It helps a lot.

Ah and there will be another carrier facing you most of the time. If u lose to him or cant secure kill on him, u lose.

Problem is idk what currently good duelist or sidenoders are.  Can somebody tell me ?