What's the purpose of earning Hero Points if you can't spend them ?

Maybe hero points could also give a region reputation point. A core hero point challenge also gives a Tyrian Reputation Point, Heart of Thorns hero point challenges also give a Maguuma Reputation Point, Path of Fire... etc. That can all be done retroactively. The game knows every hero point a character has and hasn't done. 

If that is implemented then it isn't about "what's the point of extra hero points, or why do the hero point challenges that are only worth 1 point?", because then we another system in place that gives the same content a new use. Ensuring there is incentive to do what's already there makes content more efficient for player retention. There is 100s and 100s of hero point challenges and the game should take advantage of that.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

Maybe hero points could give a region reputation point. A core hero point challenge gives a Tyrian Reputation Point, Heart of Thorns hero point challenges gives a Maguuma Reputation Point, Path of Fire... etc. That can all be done retroactively. The game knows every hero point a character has and hasn't done. 

If that is implemented then it isn't about "what's the point of extra hero points, or why do the hero point challenges that are only worth 1 point?", because then we another system in place that gives the same content a new use. Ensuring there is incentive to do what's already there makes content more efficient for player retention. There is 100s and 100s of hero point challenges. The game should take advatange of all that.

Sure they could do these “reputation points” but then elite specs would only be unlocked by reputation points from their respective expansion. 

There’s a reason why expansion hero challenges reward 10 while the core ones reward just 1. 

Edited by mythical.6315

14 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Sure they could do these “reputation points” but then elite specs would only be unlocked by reputation points from their respective expansion. 

There’s a reason why expansion hero challenges reward 10 while the core ones reward just 1. 

I guess it wasn't clear, so I added for clarity.

Edited by Redfeather.6401

Just now, Redfeather.6401 said:

I guess it wasn't clear, but reputation points would have nothing to do with elite specs. You do a hero challenge in tyria, you get 1 hero point and 1 Tyrian reputation point. You do a hero point in heart of thorns, you get 10 hero points and 1 Maguuma reputation point.  It's a new use for hero challenges. 

I guess the reason it didn’t come off as being clear is because you didn’t give any indication for the purpose of these reputation points. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On a basic level, you are not expected to do map compleition on every single characater, so you have some freedom to choose.

On a more practical level, it would just be  a pain to make as many points to be divisible by 250 and there's no reason to give any extra rewards as that's just double dipping into map completion.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Once upon a time this was an active discussion on the front page, if you will, so nobody would need to search for it. So it was more of a conversation. I reread the posts, and very few were badgering the wording -- not to say that doesn't happen on the forums, it certainly does.

I would think Anet would want to avoid a secondary use for hero points to avoid the often posted complaint that there are not enough mastery points. Spoiler alert: there are. But if people spend hero points on other uses and run out, what then?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Sam.5018 said:

Just trying to understand something. I maxed all the training on my main and was curious what I could use the extra hero points on. So I went to google and typed in "gw2 extra hero points" and it brought me to this post. I noticed that some of the replies had nothing to do with the question other then breaking down the persons sentence and talking badly about how they worded their question.

No big deal. This is the internet. I understand that.

What I don't understand is what did they search for that brought them to this post? They apparently were not searching for information on what to do with the extra hero points. I would have never even known this post existed if I did not look for it specifically. Do they just hang out here and go from post to post talking sh't regardless of the topic? 

Look at the dates. This topic lasted one day. Until you necro it after 7 months. I did not see anyone that talk bad about the op. Can you point me to what you mean? 

• Like 3

On 4/7/2022 at 6:02 AM, Rasimir.6239 said:

Hero challenges are map completion objectives just like pois and vistas, so once you have enough hero points the challenges still have a purpose.

They are also events ... at least in PoF which is useful for completing dailies. Although I wish they were more consistent because for some reason not all of them count.

Would be nice if they added a whole new traitline or just abilities for each class to spend some of the excess on, like every class is missing some skills from the utility skill schools, be it not having a heal or an elite or whatever, i'd love for them to round that out fully and let every type of utility school have a heal, utilities and elite skill. A new traitline could open up new builds or maybe in some cases bridge the gap between cores and elites and finishing off the missing utility skills could open up more options without locking them behind a certain espec. 

There's loads of excess points to accommodate something like that without compromising the no need to collect every point in the game and also the luxury aspect of instantly buying out next expansions espec.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/7/2022 at 5:09 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

What? You can get Heropoints outside of Wvw? 😛

roflmao - This. Very much this! The OP had 300+ hero points?  🤣 At the moment, I have 13,518 Testimonies of Jade Heroics and 14,163 Testimonies of Desert Heroics from WvW. For those who don't know, those can be used to buy hero points from a WvW vendor at a cost of 1 per hp. So simple addition tells me that I am sitting on 27,681 hp. 🤑

If you want to talk about useless items, don't forget to mention the 76 Grandmaster Mark Shards, 185 Emblems of the Avenger, and 106 Emblems of the Conqueror I am also currently sitting on. The Emblems have no use at all anymore and now that I have all three legendary armor sets and just buy the leggy weapons I want, I don't need the Grandmaster Shards either.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm maxed on all elites and core. Because I'm an obsessive completionist, I have over 300 extra hero points. At least let us turn them in for rewards or coin or something... anything.

I have a GREAT idea... let us turn them in for MASTERY POINTS of our choice!!!!!

Edited by TheOuroborus.6387
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TheOuroborus.6387 said:

I'm maxed on all elites and core. Because I'm an obsessive completionist, I have over 300 extra hero points. At least let us turn them in for rewards or coin or something... anything.

I have a GREAT idea... let us turn them in for MASTERY POINTS of our choice!!!!!

Why the "Confused" reaction? Many of us are woefully short on mastery points, ESPECIALLY core. 

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

I don't need Mastery Points or Hero Points anymore.

Let me sink the rest into "Swimsuit Mastery" and "Underwater Training," where I can dress appropriately for Swimming and unlock the rest of my skills and weapons for use underwater, and use underwater weapons on land, as well as the ability to harvest and sell Gooseneck Barnacles to restaurant merchants. 🦆🦆🦀

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/7/2022 at 5:37 AM, Redfeather.6401 said:

I am bummed that core HPs got relegated. They don't mean anything. If someone doesn't have an expansion, they don't need them. If someone does get an expansion, they can get 100 hp from a quick verdant brink, seitung harbour sweep... but to get 100 hp from tyria would take an incredibly long time.

It's unfortunate that the game didn't give any incentive to do the core hero points anymore once the system revamp made it so that every level you get free points.

You still need them for map complete, which if you're a core only player is arguably another goal, since you're going to miss most end game. And of course, you can use the rewards from it to make legendary weapons.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Okay., reading this thread today since I was wondering if I could do anything with all these extra hero points. Who's the clown just clicking the confused reaction on every post? Yes, understanding basic arguments for wanting stuff to be more useful is extremely confusing, we get it.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1