Player housing poll

How would you like player housing to work?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What type of housing would you like in GW2?

• Adding extra features to the existing home instances
    • Adding extra features to the home instances AND a building or space which officially belongs to my character/s
    • More home instances to choose in different locations around the world
    • Placeable houses in a shared map (or multiple maps) seperate from the rest of the world
    • Placable houses in the existing maps
    • Private spaces for each guild member in guild halls
    • A tempoary/portable home like a tent or airship
    • Any of the above
    • I would prefer a different housing system (explain in a comment)
    • I do not want housing and/or I'm fine with the current home instances with no additional features
  2. 2. Which of these features do you want/expect player housing to have in GW2?

• Gathering nodes like home instances
    • Town services (bank, TP, merchant, crafting stations etc.)
    • A way to show off my achievements, collected skins, mini pets etc.
    • Placable furniture and decorations
    • NPCs come to live there (either like the story NPCs in home instances or ones you choose and place)
    • "Houses" which do not look like a house - e.g. cave, ship, bare ground, forest etc.
    • Furnishings which allow you to build a house - placable walls, doors, floors, stairs etc.
    • A resting buff like Arborstone (or a different type of buff for going home - explain below)
    • The option to invite other players in my party or squad to visit my house
    • The option to make my house public so everyone can come in even if I'm offline
    • The option to keep my house entirely private so no one else can come in
    • Extra item storage, seperate from the bank and inventory
    • The ability to expand the size of the instance over time (adding more rooms or more land to build on or whatever)
    • Other
  3. 3. Would you like houses to be character-specific?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't mind either way

1 hour ago, aikatara.3462 said:

I'm not interested in housing, I'd rather see those resources to go somewhere else. However that is not an answer option in the poll.

Totally this ^^.

Apologies @Danikat.8537 (I like reading your forum posts in general ) but I would view "player housing" a valuable waste of Dev's time & resources

In my humble opinion, it would be yet another "non-Gw2-feature", in-line with Skiffs ( ? just why when we already have Skimmer, oh but I hear some say: You can't stand on a skimmer and fish!:) & Fishing. Personally I feel both: Fishing and Skiffs rank extremely high in the dullness stakes, I just can't even bring myself to engage in either if only for the AP: They utterly bore the pants off me).

I play Gw2 for interactive combat with, collaboratively and against other players, theory crafting different builds, etc etc. Solo stuff just really does not appeal: Otherwise I'd just play an "off-line game" and play alone.  

Rather than introducing player housing when we already have Home Instance: Why not make suggestions to modify or upgrade our current Home Instances, which Anet Dev's could do quite easily on the cheap, since HI already exists anyway.  Also I'd prefer it too, as is currently, Party of 5 players could benefit from all NEW features as well: Benefits the whole community, rather than Anet monetize a completely new Player Housing System, which I think I'm 99% safe to say Anet will never implement.  Only my 2 cents on the matter 🙂

Edited by Greg.7086
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I've liked housing in every MMO I've played that has it. I imagine ANet's version of it would be decent, but marred by heavy monetization for some of the nicest features. Either way, I think it would be nice to have.

As for the "I'd rather see dev resources put elsewhere" crowd, eh. Among the other systems ANet could be working on, I think they already have a solid foundation to build a housing system. All characters have access to 5 "home" instances, and the guild hall decoration system at least superficially looks like it would work just fine for a player housing system.

Overall I'm indifferent about having or not having housing. I claimed a guild hall for my solo guild, and am treating it as housing. It would be ideal to not have to cannibalize an existing system (a guild slot) to replicate a non existent one (player housing), but my itch for player housing is now satisfied.

• Like 1

well  i DO want some housing, i mean i dont realy care that much and wouldn't use it much prob.

But the thing is, out of normal housing, clan content is almost dead, and the game is called guild wars, what i mean to say is, there are other priorities in my opinion and then we could get a good housing sistem, i hope not too big, but something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg.7086 said:

Totally this ^^.

Apologies @Danikat.8537 (I like reading your forum posts in general ) but I would view "player housing" a valuable waste of Dev's time & resources

In my humble opinion, it would be yet another "non-Gw2-feature", in-line with Skiffs ( ? just why when we already have Skimmer, oh but I hear some say: You can't stand on a skimmer and fish!:) & Fishing. Personally I feel both: Fishing and Skiffs rank extremely high in the dullness stakes, I just can't even bring myself to engage in either if only for the AP: They utterly bore the pants off me).

I play Gw2 for interactive combat with, collaboratively and against other players, theory crafting different builds, etc etc. Solo stuff just really does not appeal: Otherwise I'd just play an "off-line game" and play alone.  

Rather than introducing player housing when we already have Home Instance: Why not make suggestions to modify or upgrade our current Home Instances, which Anet Dev's could do quite easily on the cheap, since HI already exists anyway.  Also I'd prefer it too, as is currently, Party of 5 players could benefit from all NEW features as well: Benefits the whole community, rather than Anet monetize a completely new Player Housing System, which I think I'm 99% safe to say Anet will never implement.  Only my 2 cents on the matter 🙂

You don't need to apologise, I didn't create this poll because I want player housing (I'm still not sure) but because at the time there was a lot of talk about whether Anet could or should add it and it seemed to me there was no real consensus on what 'it' was. Player Housing is a pretty vague term which covers a lot of different things so I wanted to see if there's any consesus around what specifically it could or should be in GW2.

I think people saying they don't want it at all are just as important to the discussion. I mentioned at some point that I didn't realise until after the poll was up that it wasn't possible to only answer the first question (I hadn't done a multi question poll before) and suggested picking the 'Other' and 'I don't mind' options for the other questions if you don't want housing and still want to vote.

Having said that one thing I've been finding interesting about this poll is the preference (besides no housing) is for what IMO could be a pretty 'low effort' version. 21.26% (the biggest group who do want housing) want the home instance with a designated space for your character to live and a further 6.64% want the home instance as-is. Add in the fact that besides placable furniture the most popular features are things the home instance already has (the ability to invite other players, a way to show off achievements and gathering nodes) and only 16.94% want it to be character-specific and it seems like Anet could create an acceptable system for many players who do want it just by adding the existing guild hall furnishing system to home instances. Admittedly I have no idea what it would take to do that, but it seems likely to be easier than creating an entirely new feature from scratch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a returning player who used to be in a large guild, and we always talked about where housing would be i GW2.
I think, that Divinity Reach would be a good place for instance player housing. There is already so many houses, so they just have to make doors clickable. Some would be bigger and more expensive than others.
But there could also be the possibility for people live in small villages or get a room at an in/tavern or in the guild hall.
Living in wagons that you could move from place to place, would be a great add on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Customisable housing is a great feature to me ^.^ It is a 10/10 content for community events and casual play. Done well it is a great addition to an MMO I think!

I would say though, I do not feel like I miss housing in this game, there is already a lot to keep me occupied for sure! I do think a more expanded housing would be cool but I won't cry about not having it either, the guild hall areas are quite nice at least! 

I love my houses in ffxiv, it's great fun decorating in different themes. Housing is a great content to do when there is content draught for instance, keeps my sub up always. The creativity people show in ffxiv with the housing designs is crazy!! Though even there the system could do with some improvements, I cannot decorate my mansions properly for example due to small item limit! Many players resort to walling off entire areas of the house and it really sucks!

If they do something similar to ffxiv housing please have good item limits, customisable building so we can design our own home entirely and objects able to be placed wherever we want without restriction! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I would love to have a housing system in GW2 🙂

The way I'm imagining it is by expanding the home instance or/and the guild hall so that players can build whatever structure they like. I do prefer the idea of housing being inside the home instance because I personally would love to build racial/cultural houses for my characters.

But it would also be amazing if we could build something anywhere, not just inside the home instance or guild hall but in open world maps.  Imagine if we had those "stars" indicating you can enter an instance: so we're in a map, for example Caledon Forest, and there's this star that indicates where we can enter our own version (instance) of that map, or region of the map. First we would select from a few different options in which part of the map we wanted to build. Then that place would be marked with this star and when entering it for the first time it would look "empty", with just the bare minimum (e.g., trees, grass, rocks, etc), pretty much like guild halls look like at the beginning. This new instance could also be accessed via a new icon next to the ones we already have for Inventory, PvP, WvW etc. So we could either enter like we enter other instances, or we could click the icon.  

We could have a multitude of decorations and structures so that we could build different types of spaces, not just a typical house but also settlements, outposts, markets, etc etc. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

I'd prefer to both keep the current system and add personalized private home instances. Gathering nodes, collectible cats, NPCs and etc. can stay in the current housing. Personalized homes can be decorated however you like.

Though I selected the poll option for placing down furniture, I feel like it might cause too much lag upon entering the home. It may be better to have a selection of home blueprints for the exterior of the home and the overall structure, set places (multiple placement options?) to put furniture, and furniture skins to customize the look of some furniture. And of course, some furniture should be interactable. Let me sit in my chair.

I also wouldn't mind being able to show off some achievements, but I think that these should be new achievements. These achievements may take place in less popular maps, so as to try to breathe life back into them as a plus. The rewards may include furniture skins, homebound companions, companion food/toys, clothing tonics with home themes (kid's pajamas, lol), decorations such as paintings and statues, a special cooking tool with fun animations (doesn't have to be a real cooking station), and other small knickknacks that are purely cosmetic. Placement should be optional and easily changeable, so you won't be stuck with a reward that you didn't want to see 24/7. It won't be enough to customize everything perfectly, but it'll at least be enough to feel like a home.

Some things should be gemstore items while others should be obtainable in-game, so it can be monetized without pay-to-win and is still accessible to anyone who doesn't use gems. A personalized home instance could be unlocked at level 30 or something. The home itself shouldn't be blocked by gems, though some home blueprints may be. At least one blueprint should be offered to everyone, perhaps themed to the race of the character that reached level 30. Five free blueprints may be free for this reason, and those already with a level 30 character can log in to unlock their new personalizable racial home blueprint. These should look like real homes, not the instances that we have right now.

Personalized homes should by default be set to private, though the home owner may change the privacy to "only me", "only the following people (type in account names)", "friends only", "friends and followers", "the above + guildmates of represented guild", "the above + guildmates of all guilds", or "public". A new UI panel may be implemented to browse all public homes for exploration fun, or perhaps a new command like "/visit [account name]" could be used. I think that homes should be account-wide, not per character.

I don't think that any kind of real-space housing would be practical, so I'm opting for fully instanced homes. Enterable by clicking a button. It's enough to be able to freely visit others' public homes by selecting them through a list. We don't need the super rich to show off their wares by buying up all of the empty houses in DR. I feel like that would diminish some of the friendliness in GW's community, and the friendly community is an important factor to me.

Okay, I think that I've covered everything that I want to. I have no idea if ArenaNet will ever consider personalized housing, but here's to hoping~

Edited by Embered.5089
Word choice
  • Like 1

I cannot express how much I really want GW2 to NOT move in the player housing direction. I far more want active playable content. If people simply HAVE TO HAVE HOUSING, make it something that can be bought on the Gem Store separately and not force it on the rest of us in an expansion. Anet doesn't need to follow in the footsteps of other games and just be like everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

I cannot express how much I really want GW2 to NOT move in the player housing direction. I far more want active playable content. If people simply HAVE TO HAVE HOUSING, make it something that can be bought on the Gem Store separately and not force it on the rest of us in an expansion. Anet doesn't need to follow in the footsteps of other games and just be like everyone else. 

But what if it's an f2p feature, entirely optional and purely cosmetic, and consist of instances? No houses taking up current land, no DR homes opening up as real estate, no new continent discovered where we all decide to live. Just instances. Free to play. Optional. Purely cosmetic.

Would you still be against that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Embered.5089 said:

Would you still be against that?

It would still take up resources that could be used to create other content, which is an issue.

Arenanet simply doesn't have the deep money pockets that Square Enix has for FF14 to create all kinds of diverse content.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1