Which skill on each profession do you think is the least used/weakest?

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I know every profession has those skills that are just never used for one reason or another.  I've spent 99% of my time since launch on Necro, so I don't have a lot of familiarity with the other 8 professions.

I'd like to ask people keep it to a single skill per-profession (including all elite specs ), just to make this simpler.

Personally, for Necromancer, I see Serpent Siphon (from Scourge) as the worst skill on the profession.  There's just no context at all where it's got a use because of the basics of how the skill functions.  Even if they buffed the numbers to absurdity, I don't know if it would see any use because it requires such a specific circumstance to even pretend it has a role.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I don't think you'll find anything as universally useless as Serpent Siphon. It being utterly useless was my feedback for Scourge in the PoF beta's and it's never changed. 

While there certainly are a lot of skills I've never really considered using in any context on other professions (Light's Judgement for DH or Fear Me! on Warrior come to mind), they generally have some redeeming value or could conceivably be buffed to viability.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, aspirine.6852 said:

Do people even bother to use the race specific skills? The hounds of baltazar and such?

On rare occasions.  They're not available on Revenants at all, nor PvP, and they're intended to be weak.  That said, I have, on occasion, equipped Hidden Pistol on my Necro because they don't have any vigor or evade skills (this was pre-Harbinger).

But as I already mentioned, they're intended to be weak and only there for flavor.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

On rare occasions.  They're not available on Revenants at all, nor PvP, and they're intended to be weak.  That said, I have, on occasion, equipped Hidden Pistol on my Necro because they don't have any vigor or evade skills (this was pre-Harbinger).

But as I already mentioned, they're intended to be weak and only there for flavor.

This makes you a charr player... ahh yes a man of culture! 

• Like 1

Elementalist: Either Signet of water or Cleansing fire. Honestly, I can't chose between the 2. Signet of water don't feel like it does have any passive effect at all while it's active isn't really attractive. Cleansing fire is just a terribly outdated condi cleanse.

Engineer: Personal battery ram. Tried to use once, never did it again ever.

Guardian: Bow of truth. I always wanted to use it but never found in myself to do it.

Mesmer: Illusion of life. Temporary alive... wth.

Necromancer: Serpent siphon. After "Rise!" I was expecting something from this skill but I've been disappointed.

Ranger: Muddy terrain. Please tell me why someone would use that?

Revenant: Envoy of exuberance? I want to say the shield as a whole but I think this skill is one of a kind.

Thief: Prepare seal area. If I can take smoke screen why would I take this bothersome thing?

Warrior: "Fear me!". 60s CD.

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, aspirine.6852 said:

How about the elite mesmer skill time warp. How kitten is that one...

Time warp is balanced around the fact that you can use mimic to use it twice in a row. Unfortunately, the skill is somewhat decent when used like that.

And it has probably seen more use over the years than many other mesmer skills. It's not wrong to say that Time warp is currently at it's lowest point since release, thought.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:25 PM, aspirine.6852 said:

Do people even bother to use the race specific skills? The hounds of baltazar and such?

Seed Turret on sylvari has its uses. 

You can place the Turret up to 1200 range away from you and the Turret also has 1200 range making it effectively 2400 range. 

And as is has HP, it's a perfect way to pull a MoB away from a harvesting node or chest. 

On 4/18/2022 at 6:25 PM, aspirine.6852 said:

There are a few that have some use like:

- (Norn) Become the snow leopard: mainly for prowl and dash in WvW as it allow any profession to quickly get away and disappear.

- (Sylvari) Take root: a 3s invuln that can be priceless on builds that lack survivability and don't have great elite skills choices.

- (Asura) Technobabble and pain inverter: Both skills have decent effects for decent CD which is rare.

- (Charr) Shrapnel mine: It is stronger than many profession skills, thought few even think about using it.

- (Human) None are worth using. Reaper of grenth could be worth using if it had half it's current CD, thought (10 targets, on a condi reaper... it could even be meta in WvW zerg if it weren't for it's CD).

3 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Time warp is balanced around the fact that you can use mimic to use it twice in a row. Unfortunately, the skill is somewhat decent when used like that.

And it has probably seen more use over the years than many other mesmer skills. It's not wrong to say that Time warp is currently at it's lowest point since release, thought.

Time warp is trash.
Yes it was pretty nice the last years but since they halfed its power its very big trash.
Its half as good as it was before. And it wasnt even good before.
It was just good for 10000 chrono pugs that all used time warp and thats also why they nerfed chrono away but at this point I dont understand why they didnt just remove the quickness on that skill...

It was nice for slow uptime on chrono but now it only generates 5 seconds of slow. (10 with reset of f4)

I dont even know why they made chrono so reliant on slow uptime....its a very strong soft cc and it was obvious they would never let chrono pump out perma slow so at this point I dont know why they didnt choose a different condition for chrono....anet balance decisions on top tier level again at this point.
Having the crit chance jumping around from almost 100% to 85% all the time is annoying af.

Thats something they should never do again but actually they did this in Eod....

20 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Guardian: Bow of truth. I always wanted to use it but never found in myself to do it.

Bow of Truth is a great burst healing for support guardian and firebrand.

The least used/weakest I would say Druid Glyphs. It hardly has any synergy with druid kit. The only useful parts are the CCs for PvP or WvW, but then again druid is quite weak in those game mode compared to other ranger specs due to gutted pet damage.

As a necro player from if i consider it from a purely pve standpoint

offhand focus needs help (yes i know its great in pvp still)

Corrupt boon is borderline useless here..... (yes i know its decent ish in pvp)

Well of power / corruption are also really not used all that much due to their nature... well of power just is not all that great and well of corruption now gets easily out classed by well of darkness in terms of effective usability (not even looking at the damage) the blind and chill are just more useful on mobs than a boon corrupt on something that has no boons.

Spectral armor.... the only skill to not receive any compensation ever since the removal of the spectral skills trait could use a boost on all accounts.

Vampire signet... the passive is more annoying than effective revert it back to its old version which was more effective and balanced off by the need to get it to gain a heal. This new one will force weapon draw the entire you are in combat even if there is nothing in range for it to leech from. It also has very poor leeching range and leeching power. At the very least increase its range so that you don't need to be inside somethings hit box for it to work... thats a little too strict.

Most of the skills i called out are pretty decent in pvp (except vampire signet) in the right situation but in pve they see almost no use... i would like to see skills that corrupt boons do more damage or do a bonus effect if the target has no boons specifically to make them usable in pve. That would be super great imo. 

Thief daredevil distracting daggers

Spellbreaker break enchantment

Virtuoso thousand cuts 

Warrior stomp(is a good skill for decap but not used)

Any staff skill in druid😁

Specter shroud in general

Oops getting too general here, anyways

Elementalist arcane utilities other than arcane shielding

I probably missed a few

Thief: Thieves Guild.
I know people are using this skill, but in reality, Thieves Guild does nothing. Really — it's damage is trash (NPCs hitting for 300-500 without crit), low duration/high cooldown. Better take Basilisk Venom (prep. group CC), Impact Strike (2 hard CCs), Shadow Melt (deadeye) or even Daggerstorm (long evade).

Necromancer: Serpent Siphon.
It's one of the "Utility of a wasted skill slot".

Elementalist: Ether Renewal (healing skill).
Never used a single time in Guild Wars 2 history.

Revenant: Ancient Echo.
Only because it's core revenant.

Mesmer: Illusion of Life/Decoy.
First: Illusion of Life works only for 15s, so value of this skill as a revive is low. Decoy: 40s cooldown.

Engineer: Elixir X.
You don't know what will happen.

Guardian: "Hold The Line"
It's just protection+regeneration, nothing more.

Ranger: "Guard".
There are better skills, e.g. "Protect Me" — Break stun, 4s of protection and almost 4k barrier.

Warrior: Shattering Blow.
The hell is this anyway?

• Like 3

On 4/19/2022 at 2:06 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

There are many. But if I had to say one it would be Warriors Kick or Fear Me. 

I've used Fear Me on enemies stacked at hills cata wall. Kind of hilarious sending 5 people over the edge. But, yeah it's pretty garbage any other time.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, Antycypator.9874 said:

Thief: Thieves Guild.

Mesmer: /Decoy.

I use both of these decoy in spvp is nice because it stealth and thieves guild is ok in ow because it distracts enemies though I have to admit that dancing daggers does way more

Edited by Infinity.2876

On 4/20/2022 at 2:10 AM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Mesmer: Illusion of life. Temporary alive... wth.

Illusion of life is an aoe resurrection what's not to like?

I think people a reading the description literally, as far as I can tell it is a full rez since for some reason even after 15 second you don't die. Instead you go back down normally right on top of your zerg or party unless you have been down to many times. 

Edited by Mell.4873

On 4/20/2022 at 5:07 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:

Hi,

The Time Warp skill is thrash (wvw perspective) however your interpretation of using it with Mimic is incorrect.
Mimic only works with utility skills not elite.
It is only possible to do twice if you are a Chrono through Continuum Split. 

• Like 1