The Skyscale Quest Line Is WAY Too Grindy, And Insulting [Merged]

11 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

yeah it does. More people with Skyscales mean more Skyscale Skin Sale potential. Thats Money

This doesn't add up, nothing guarantees that you are going to spend money in skins, specially when you can convert gold to gems. But having the skyscale behind a collection guarantees that more people will be kept occupied with long term goals and replaying LWS4 and PoF events.

Stop dreaming about the skyscale collection becoming easier. It's been three years and the collection was already nerfed. Is not going to happen anymore.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 4:41 AM, Zenfooki.2034 said:

Wow doesn’t lock mobility behind a garbage grind with a terrible story. 
 You get their version of the skyscale an hour into the new expansion. 

I have multiple ascended sets and legendaries on GW2. Those were fine. Griffon was fine. Skyscale was enough to make me quit. 

You’re really trying to claim WoW is more grindy than GW2? I can be max level and near BiS gear on an alt in a week or so. GW2 legendaries take months. 

there’s a reason this game’s popularity is consistently decreasing. 

I have all my  legendary gear. I can max alts in half an hour with tomes I have stacked up so high I can build a house out of them. I could level a character in minutes, unlock and elite spec with WvW currency and I already have all the legendaries. You'll still be invalidating everything you do every time a new expansion comes out.

8 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

well I sure didnt buy Skyscale and Griffin skins until I unlocked the mounts... so Yeah I think that logic checks out pal...

I did, bought branded mount pack when I did not have griffon unlocked.

On the other hand have have not bought any skin for skyscale, rollerbeetle or griffon after I unlocked them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

well I sure didnt buy Skyscale and Griffin skins until I unlocked the mounts... so Yeah I think that logic checks out pal...

Except that wasn't the point being made ... at all. The point was that no one should assuming making skyscale easier to get guarantees the most revenue, especially if they are going to use that to argue Anet should make it easier. 

Worth noting, it's exactly the people who want to be LESS involved with the game by making things easier that tend to be the ones that DON'T spend the money on it.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I disagree

Based on what?

13 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

There's plenty of stuff to spend money on if you actually want to spend money, so... 🤷‍♂️ 

And see what happened here? You wanted to have skyscale and griffon... so... you got them by playing the game. Didn't seem like a huge barrier. On the other hand people constantly asking for easier rewards don't really do it in an attempt to be more involved in the game, quite the opposite.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

It took me a month to get this premium mount casually, others can do it in a couple weeks.  After that they can buy whatever skin they want.  Note as well people tend to get more excited about skinning up their favourite items when the journey to get it was a bit more meaningful than 'i want it- gimme faster.. i got it'  

What's the problem again? 

20 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Do you think that the people saying "make skyscale easier" are the same people saying "we want more long term goals"? Or is it possible that there are two groups of people? Or shockingly, maybe MORE than 2 groups of people saying different things!

The longevity of the game, ie: long term goals to maintain player interest - are essential to the game. The Skyscale is one of those goals, and it is worth the effort. Whether there are more than 2 groups of people or not, the health of the game depends on goals to work towards that take time. Without a subscription, Arenanet has been pacing players  using time gates. It's not fun to think about and I know the Skyscale, and other aspects of the game that use the mechanic have been bitterly complained about but it needs to be in the game otherwise there will be more complaints about "nothing to do" and "no long term goals." - arguably complaints which demand more attention because it would denote something wrong in the game. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Based on what?

There's plenty of stuff to spend money on if you actually want to spend money, so... 🤷‍♂️ 

And see what happened here? You wanted to have skyscale and griffon... so... you got them by playing the game. Didn't seem like a huge barrier. On the other hand people constantly asking for easier rewards don't really do it in an attempt to be more involved in the game, quite the opposite.

Yeah I played the game when everybody was trying to unlock those mounts and I had lots of players along the way to help with difficulties in that task. 

New players doing these goals dont have that massive amount of players to play with to get these goals done or to get help with task. 

Its not as enjoyable when less people are doing it. I play MMOs for the Massively multiplayer. Starting these task now after the rush is long gone, is more like a single player experience. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

8 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

That's not the  argument.

Besides, more time in game = more potential time viewing the cash shop which means more potential sales

I rather rely on the direct potential of a player buying skins when they have access to said object to unlock skins for. Much higher potential than somebody staring at a skin that they cant use...

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

Yeah I played the game when everybody was trying to unlock those mounts and I had lots of players along the way to help with difficulties in that task. 

New players doing these goals dont have that massive amount of players to play with to get these goals done or to get help with task. 

Its not as enjoyable when less people are doing it. I play MMOs for the Massively multiplayer. Starting these task now after the rush is long gone, is more like a single player experience. 

If you completed the task when 'everybody was trying to unlock those mounts', then you did it before the 'Return to...' content which makes the acquisition so much easier. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

I rather rely on the direct potential of a player buying skins when they have access to said object to unlock skins for. Much higher potential than somebody staring at a skin that they cant use...

ANet's in game development. They're here to develop content for players to experience.  Collections are their way of making quests.  The Skyscale collection is a quest by another name that has you exploring the world, doing platforming, item collection, and other such things.  The item collection part has been made a lot easier with the 'return to' achievements as well.  \

9 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

Part of the MMO experience is also utilizing guilds, the LFG, and map chat to ask for help with a task or event when you need it. 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, Zenfooki.2034 said:

A dying game that's basically on maintenance mode needs all of the money it can get. I was spending hundreds a month on gems. 

First of all we are not gonna lie. Second of all, I've seen your argument regarding WoW, you were being disingenuous. Third of all can't say GW2 is dying when I can queue in every single mode this game has to offer. Isn't WoW the game that has a company that has been dripping in controversy, had some pretty serious allegations made against it, AND had their population leave in DROVES to GW2, FF, and ESO respectively because of a garbo expansion? (Not the current one, but the one before it).

So with all do respect and in the most polite way possible, please stop the cap, it looks ugly. 

Edited by Dreams.3128
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Ausar.9542 said:

since the mount can be easily achieved in under a month, what's your point?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:31 AM, Ausar.9542 said:

But then again, people leaving because the game is increasingly too easy also causes loss of income for Anet and also there are plenty of other things that you can spend your money on in the gemstore. Chances are that because you unlocked the Skyscale that you just changed your gem spending instead of adding to your overall budget. Most people have limits to their, let's say, monthly budget and Anet doesn't really care what you spend that on.

Besides, it will likely also increase the complaints about the pricing of those mount skins, especially when it gets easier to get a mount. I mean how can you make something low effort and still ask those crazy prices?

And I did it after "everybody was trying to unlock those mounts" and didn't have any issues.

So... are you talking about "that mmo experience" or about "throwing money at the screen" experience in this thread? Which maps do you consider so empty (in relation to what you just wrote)? The ones you don't know if they're played because you are not playing them? When do you think what you're saying here started being true? Today? This year? Last year? Right when any new content post s4 got released? Or is this maybe just a vague shot in the dark?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Beforehand, if you were playing the stories and completing the maps of S4, it would not take you long at all to complete skyscale. With the ‘Return to…’ achievements? Forget about it, done in less than a week not counting the time locks (which I think weee shortened even now to be able to finish in only a few days? Could be wrong on that) seriously this grind is not insulting at all. Legendaries take much more time and the QoL of skyscale far outweighs the QoL of a legendary (outside arguably trinkets/sigils/runes, being instantly accessible to all characters and classes)

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 12:41 PM, Zenfooki.2034 said:

Wow doesn’t lock mobility behind a garbage grind with a terrible story. 
 You get their version of the skyscale an hour into the new expansion. 

I have multiple ascended sets and legendaries on GW2. Those were fine. Griffon was fine. Skyscale was enough to make me quit. 

You’re really trying to claim WoW is more grindy than GW2? I can be max level and near BiS gear on an alt in a week or so. GW2 legendaries take months. 

there’s a reason this game’s popularity is consistently decreasing. 

Also this is a lie too, just confirmed this with a friend that still plays WoW to this day. He said you have to be in the most tryhard of tryhard guilds to be in mythic raids, and those guilds are not gonna hand them over to a petty little alt. They want to gear up their main raid group first. So, unless you basically don't eat or sleep, you are talking out the side of your mouth to try and prove that the Skyscale is some bone crushing grind. 

Can't even compare these two grinds that how dumb this argument was.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

But then again, people leaving because the game is increasingly too easy also causes loss of income for Anet and also there are plenty of other things that you can spend your money on in the gemstore. Chances are that because you unlocked the Skyscale that you just changed your gem spending instead of adding to your overall budget. Most people have limits to their, let's say, monthly budget and Anet doesn't really care what you spend that on.

Besides, it will likely also increase the complaints about the pricing of those mount skins, especially when it gets easier to get a mount. I mean how can you make something low effort and still ask those crazy prices?

people not leaving because its easy. No totally opposite seen by how EoD Turtle Mount outcry. 

People leaving because the expansion was bad and not much new interesting features were added and now we have to wait a unknown amount of time for new content to come.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dreams.3128 said:

Also this is a lie too, just confirmed this with a friend that still plays WoW to this day. He said you have to be in the most tryhard of tryhard guilds to be in mythic raids, and those guilds are not gonna hand them over to a petty little alt. They want to gear up their main raid group first. So, unless you basically don't eat or sleep, you are talking out the side of your mouth to try and prove that the Skyscale is some bone crushing grind. 

Can't even compare these two grinds that how dumb this argument was.

As far as I know wow still has weekly raid lockouts (correct me if I'm wrong, its been a while since I quit). So even if you assume anyone will take a fresh alt into the latest raid (haha), good luck with getting full bis in one lockout (or 10 for that matter).

9 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

As far as I know wow still has weekly raid lockouts (correct me if I'm wrong, its been a while since I quit). So even if you assume anyone will take a fresh alt into the latest raid (haha), good luck with getting full bis in one lockout (or 10 for that matter).

Now I will admit I don't care to play Dragonflight, so I am not sure how easy it is to get flying there. But did WoW for the longest time since Warlords came out have the worst way to get flight in game? If I remember right, you had to wait 6 months or more and do kitten annoying reps just to unlock it making it a bigger grind than GW2 did with the skyscale to get some easy flight. To me, WoWs way was way worse then the Skyscale collection. I heard from people they removed that long grind part before the new expansion, but I don't know how true that is. GW2 still wins though overall because they didn't gatekeep the mount behind a kitten rep wall.

Edit: (If you can't tell, that kitten change in WoW with flight  is what made me quit it for good. I liked the old pay 2000 gold way better.)

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345

29 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Now I will admit I don't care to play Dragonflight, so I am not sure how easy it is to get flying there. But did WoW for the longest time since Warlords came out have the worst way to get flight in game? If I remember right, you had to wait 6 months or more and do kitten annoying reps just to unlock it making it a bigger grind than GW2 did with the skyscale to get some easy flight. To me, WoWs way was way worse then the Skyscale collection. I heard from people they removed that long grind part before the new expansion, but I don't know how true that is. GW2 still wins though overall because they didn't gatekeep the mount behind a kitten rep wall.

Edit: (If you can't tell, that kitten change in WoW with flight  is what made me quit it for good. I liked the old pay 2000 gold way better.)

Rep grinds 🤢 And those are actual true repetitive grinds. Luckily there was not much behind reps that was actually useful. Skyscale is hardly a grind. Its just a long quest line. Yeah some parts are annoying but its nothing compared to true repetitive mmorpg grinds where often you have to compete with other players for kills or loot that already has like 1% drop chance.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, Akisohida.8963 said:

So, because people feel like the mount is amazing, it's locked behind an absurd level of grind?

Why do players always want everything easy in this game, it's not much gold and it's apart of the story in lws4.

Edited by stuvvo.4753
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1