The Infinite Fishing Lure

Regarding the lure, shouldn't it be at least of rare quality?

This would prevent accidental deletion (over drag, drop and select the delete button) and it would make it look different from the other lures. As it is, it doesn't look special and blends well with my other lures.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Nothing against those ideas but there is no need for any other lure if you have the infinite one.

Until they later add bonus features like they did with the infinite tools. Or they give future versions special effects. If they see a way to make more money off of players, they’ll take it. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Until they later add bonus features like they did with the infinite tools. Or they give future versions special effects. If they see a way to make more money off of players, they’ll take it. 

If they do that then there will be even less reason to have non-infinite lures

1 minute ago, Farohna.6247 said:

What fishing power is it?  I

100, same as jade/amber lures

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I have leftover lures.

Kind of like all of those gathering tools for volatile magic that I bought with karma before I bought the infinite ones. 😄

Also, another idea: Add a buff icon or effect whilst fishing with an infinite lure. Something purely for showing off. 😛 A blinking icon or other visual icon over the bobber would be nice. Something to help keep track (visually) of it. An infinity symbol?

Edited to add: I like the idea above mentioning gathering tools. Fishing glyphs would add a whole new aspect to fishing.

• +33% chance for an extra catch
  • +33% chance not to consume bait

...and so on. 🙂

Edited by GamerOnline.3650
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

800 gems (260ish gold at the time I write this) is an absolutely ludicrous price for this. Shame on you Arenanet for this! It should be 50-100 gems maximum AND it should be an unlock for the entire account (like legendary items in the Legendary Armoury). Who in the world needs anything close (in orders of magnitude) to 100 thousand fishing lures (see Reddit for the math).

• Like 21
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

i made the mistake of buying the lure and realizing it was per character, and ironically shares the same price tag as a new character slot as well. Least if you buy a new character slot, you theoretically get more added to the account (another character to hold useless stuff) but ugh... I feel cheated.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Neo Mortem.3627 said:

i made the mistake of buying the lure and realizing it was per character, and ironically shares the same price tag as a new character slot as well. Least if you buy a new character slot, you theoretically get more added to the account (another character to hold useless stuff) but ugh... I feel cheated.

then ask for a refund

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blur.3465 said:

How does it work though?

Lures are generic for all fish; the only difference between them is the amount of fishing power they give. You're thinking of bait, which affects what kind of fish you can catch in an area depending on which one you have equipped.

OP's right that there should be a confirm window to avoid accidental deletion of the infinite lure (which can happen if you try to juggle it between characters), but what I don't really get is what convenience the infinite lure offers over the cheaper in-game ones.

The infinite lure can only be used on one character at a time, you still have to frequently go to a fishing vendor to buy more bait, and the price of the infinite lure is very high compared to what you'd pay for temporary-use ones (which you can pick up during your many trips to buy bait). It doesn't save you time or money, and if it's meant to save you inventory space, you could spend a lot less simply buying a bag slot to keep temp lures in. 😕

Edited by AgentMoore.9453
I made a typo; I may never recover.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Don't give them the idea!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great QoL addition! Was instant buy for me.

As for the "one character use only at a time" thing: I do most of my fishing on one toon anyways so to me it doesn't matter that much. Don't want to carry all them bait stacks on multiple toons and too lazy to bank/withdraw every time I want to go fishing, much easier just to relog.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The infinte lure seems odd for two reasons. First off it seemed like an obvious way to give jewelcrafters ascended and legendary recipes. Secondly, really don't like top stats being tied to a gem item - as thats coming uncomfortably close to pay to win - and woe unto you should consumable lures come out with catch stat bonuses higher then 100.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As for the opening post: I agree. There should be more visual clarity between the infinite lure and the regular ones.

As to my opinion on the infinite lure in general: I bought it but I am not fully convinced the value is there since baits still exist so you will have to keep going to merchants anyway. It's nice to have but 10€ seems a bit much for something that is a lot more niche than infinite gather tools which cost about the same. The value of the lure would increase if they release something similar for baits but then it just emphasizes that the lure on its own is kind of overpriced.

Should they decide to release infinite lures with some sort of glyph-effect in the future I am probably done with purchasing gems though. I am still sour about that happening with infinite gathering tools and I am not going to get fooled twice.

Edited by MajinSoul.4512
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KoSs.3027 said:

I'd like to see extra features added to the infinite fishing lure like we have with the gathering tools. (not visual effects but to gain extra things while fishing would be nice)

Even just extra base fishing power, e.g. make it 125.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I think it's basically the same as the infinite gathering tools. It's not needed but if you're doing a lot of fishing it means a bit less hassle and less inventory space taken up with spares.

At the moment I don't think I'm fishing enough to justify that, but I can see why some people might like it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Adzekul.3104 said:

800 gems (260ish gold at the time I write this) is an absolutely ludicrous price for this. Shame on you Arenanet for this! It should be 50-100 gems maximum AND it should be an unlock for the entire account (like legendary items in the Legendary Armoury). Who in the world needs anything close (in orders of magnitude) to 100 thousand fishing lures (see Reddit for the math).

It's not designed to be "worth it" from a monetary standpoint, it's designed to be a QoL item - the same as infinite gathering tools. You're likely never going to pay the cost off, you're not supposed to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1