What's a living wage in GW2?

Is this a lore question?  Because living wage doesn't apply to the player.  You don't need in-game gold to stay alive.  Your food, housing, etc. are bought in the real world with you're nation's currency.  Nothing in GW2 contributes to your actual living expenses.

If it's lore, I'd say about 55--65 copper a day, based on vendor food prices and an approximation of rent in-game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

The gold you get from doing dailies. 

I cannot stand dailys and purposely avoid then in all mmos, to be honest that is something I can be doing elsewhere, it should be a login reward at this point, they are so pointless.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

How much gold do you feel like one needs to make to earn a living wage in the game?

At which thresholds of weekly gold earnings do players fall into the "poor" or "rich" categories for you?

Zero. You do not need gold to play the game. That said, the daily 2g log in rewards are sufficient to cover some costs, such as waypoints, that could be a bit of a pain to go without.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ryou.2398 said:

I cannot stand dailys and purposely avoid then in all mmos, to be honest that is something I can be doing elsewhere, it should be a login reward at this point, they are so pointless.

The existing log in rewards are pretty significant in terms of gold fore those who do not want to do dailies.

• Thanks 2

I don't think you need much at all to get by. The only reoccuring costs comparable to a 'cost of living' analysis are salvage kits (either buying new ones or paying to use the infinite ones), gathering tools (if you don't have infinite ones) and waypoints and even those can be avoided if you want or need to.

10 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

I think around 10 gold per day is minimum if you actively play at lvl 80, average if you play at least for 1 hour is probably around 20-30 per day I would assume

Are you including selling login rewards (averaged out across the month of course)? If not then I'd say that's an over estimate. It will also vary hugely depending on what you're doing. I could probably make 10g in an hour doing Fractal dailies, but if I'm doing the story or taking my time actually exploring a map (as opposed to racing to the 'check points' as fast as possible) it could easily be less than 1g.

Maybe for people who devote the majority of their time to farming whatever makes the most gold 20-30g an hour is feasible but I doubt that's the majority of players.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It is a funny question for sure. Please do not take the below stuff too serious, this is entertaining at best:

Looking at the current waypoint-costs, we vary between a maximum of ~ 12 silver 50 copper (no guild) to a minimum of 0 in towns. That results in an average transport-fee of 6 silver 25 copper.

Talking about activity, the dailies are imo the time of the day you spend most with waypointing. As I do not have any other data (obviously), I use my own. My efficient rush of dailies takes around 20 minutes, where I use a total of 15 waypoints.

15 waypoints / 20 minutes = 0.75 waypoints per minute - in the most cost-intensive phase of the day (my pov)
0.75 x 6 silver 25 copper = 4 silvers 69 copper costs per minute

How often do you use a waypoint in meta events? How many times do you waypoint when dead? How many hours per day do you play? What content do you play? How much time do you spend doing nothing that costs money? ... all of these questions contribute to how high your average daily activity-phase is. So I cannot make a proper assumption here.

Wild guess: The average daily high-activity phase does not cross 30 minutes. Most of the time we spend idling or fighting.
30 x 4 silver 69 copper = 1 gold 40 silver 7 copper 
This is what we consume per day, if we play 'active' that day - waypoint costs only. 

Food is a bit of a mix. Some use their own, some participate in meta events and use trays, some use the stuff they find as loot. 
Using my data again, I use custom regular food to buff my characters. 
Utility = 2 silvers 60 copper (30 minutes) + Cheap Food = 1 silver 80 copper (30 minutes)
I use about 2x of each per day ... = 8 silver 80 copper
1 gold 40 silver 7 copper + 8 silver 70 copper = 1 gold 48 silver 87 copper

So the daily 2 gold covers my costs and reward me with more than 50 silver of profit per day. 

Would that be enough to survive, imagining my dailies reward 0 extra profit and I gain no loot from playing normally? Yes. 50 silvers are a lot. Let us say you are a dedicated player, 330 days should be possible a year - some of you can cross the 360 easily, nice flex bro! 330 x 50 silver = 165 gold. It is not much. But you can gear your character properly and even adjust the build once in a while. 

• Haha 1

Way more than the actual player daily gold income perhaps, as Sabetha can give 500g for each head of raiders if the bandit under her suceed on killing them, that means she could give at most 5000gold and this is coming from a bandit.

if from the player perspective, mine is 0 to 1 gold daily but around 80-100g (cant do math) fixed weekly from raids clear, but way more if i sold all of my materials gathered and/or opening my unopened and hoarded encryptions boxes.

Edited by ardhikaizecson.3697
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

Way more than the actual player daily gold income perhaps, as Sabetha can give 500g for each head of raiders if the bandit under her suceed on killing them, that means she could give at most 5000gold and this is coming from a bandit.

if from the player perspective, mine is 0 to 1 gold daily but around 80-100g (cant do math) fixed weekly from raids clear, but way more if i sold all of my materials gathered and/or opening my unopened and hoarded encryptions boxes.

Abit wrong on the math there bud.

Sabetha the Saboteur: One hundred gold for each head. Get chopping!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

If you need to make Ascended gear a lot its about 300 gold a week.

That's like saying someone needs to make over $10k a week to keep up with celebrities. 

Since there have been several people in this thread who do not know what a living wage is:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_wage

Edited by mythical.6315

1 minute ago, Dante.1508 said:

Its not just Ascended but its definitely around 300g a week to enjoy GW2.

No it's not.  I wouldn't be shocked if 90% of the players in this game don't even make anywhere near that much per week.  You really need to understand what a living wage is.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

No it's not.  I wouldn't be shocked if 90% of the players in this game don't even make anywhere near that much per week.  You really need to understand what a living wage is.

If you say so. It must be right.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1