Do all bosses in this game have to look like this

Enter the Gungeon

Do all the bosses have to have a deadly rain of aoe in which I spend more time dodging than attacking

Does the fate of tyria always have to hang in the balance

If so could you could at least give me another dodge (or faster endurance regen for that matter)

(This is a semi rant thread so don't take me to seriously)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Anet is a one-trick pony when it comes to increasing difficulty on world bosses and story instance bosses: AoE spam and CC spam.

Before I started to raid I was a bit scared that raid bosses would be like this aswell, but they're not! This holds true for fractals too..  *Siren's Reef has entered the chat* .. for the most part.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, shib.1369 said:

Anet is a one-trick pony when it comes to increasing difficulty on world bosses and story instance bosses: AoE spam and CC spam.

Before I started to raid I was a bit scared that raid bosses would be like this aswell, but they're not! This holds true for fractals too..  *Siren's Reef has entered the chat* .. for the most part.

GW2 has a bizarro difficulty curve where in "casual" content after a certain point every mob and boss has a knock-back/down and kitten out half a rooms worth of death wells that blend into the floor every few seconds making it impossible to tell which circle is instant death and which is a tickle.

Then you have "endgame" content where someone actually decided to telegraph mob/ boss attacks correctly and your team will always have a firebrand shitting out stability.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the AoE spam has caused us to all stack and ignore mechanics. So then they made the mechanics one hit kill instead.

I do see some improvement though with the CMs requiring you to split up to avoid major damage. But even still. Fight Li and you can't tell which way he is going to attack because of the sparkle effect spam from players. We just can't win here.

Maybe anet can give us wireframe mode. So that we can at least see what's going on.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Infinity.2876 said:

If so could you could at least give me another dodge (or faster endurance regen for that matter)

Have you tried reading your skill descriptions?

Many classes have blocks and evades on their weapon skills. Many classes can also generate vigor. Then there is sigil of energy.

On my chrono I have ... the 2 basic dodges, 4 blocks, weapon evade.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I bet they can't even be very creative with boss mechanics. I think choices were made and the consequences are here. I often thought about what beyond limited resources could be at fault for this. Things I could come up with were the dodge system/action combat, the choice not to go with the traditional trinity and the boon system.

I mean, these things just make that tons of aoe's are the easiest way to give the average player (the impression of) a tough fight. Not saying that they made the wrong choices there but the downside of these things, imo, are lame boss mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

What bosses are you fighting that are like a bullet hell

Legendary Bandit.. Scruffy 2.0, Balthazar.. everybossandchampioninguildwars2..

Its literally why i gave up playing melee classes.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, Strider Pj.2193 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Orrian_Truffle_and_Meat_Stew

Endurance food.  Helps a little.  

But they (Anet) like the flashy AOE,  damage sponge bosses…. 

This!

Also...

Can of Meat and Winter Vegetable Stew - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

If you play WvW a lot, an equally good (for the price) alternative. Little less reliable, but hey, can't beat 5 Badges price. 😉

• Sad 2

Man am I thankful for this topic to come up. I always thought story bosses are more annoying than challenging. I did the Caudecus fight recently. Tiny room with camera clipping while getting chainkicked around. Just bad!

Also shoutout to the undead mobs with hammer. Instant knockdown for an eterity and then they just stare at you. I always picture them giggeling at me while i rant in frustration... 🙄

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

goodness, the amount of trash mobs with cc annoys me so much sometimes. I don't even think it's a red-circle attack either, it's just instant.

If you're referring to the Risen Brutes, yes they can be irritating when you get hit. But there is a weapon glow visual cue as they wind up to give you time to dodge

On 7/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, Gehenna.3625 said:

I bet they can't even be very creative with boss mechanics. I think choices were made and the consequences are here. I often thought about what beyond limited resources could be at fault for this. Things I could come up with were the dodge system/action combat, the choice not to go with the traditional trinity and the boon system.

I mean, these things just make that tons of aoe's are the easiest way to give the average player (the impression of) a tough fight. Not saying that they made the wrong choices there but the downside of these things, imo, are lame boss mechanics.

Seems more like inexperience since some the mobs have the same problems as what you see from some player posts. Things like "just add more HP!" or "there is no such thing as too much CC".

Someone with experience designing mobs or even just experience playing a lot of games themselves shouldn't be making mistakes like that.

Edited by Khisanth.2948
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

goodness, the amount of trash mobs with cc annoys me so much sometimes. I don't even think it's a red-circle attack either, it's just instant.

When you get stampeded by tons of little mushrooms…. Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/8/2022 at 9:07 PM, Infinity.2876 said:

Enter the Gungeon

Do all the bosses have to have a deadly rain of aoe in which I spend more time dodging than attacking

Does the fate of tyria always have to hang in the balance

(This is a semi rant thread so don't take me to seriously)

We need a mounted boss. Kinda like Radahn in Elden Ring.

A noobie facetanks all damage without realising they can dodge. A semi-experienced player tries to dodge every attack. An experienced player knows which attacks to dodge, which to sidestep and which can be safely facetanked. Best advice I can give is to learn boss attack patterns and adjust your positioning accordingly - you'd be surprised how many things can be side-stepped without losing any damage on your part.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wolfshade.9251 said:

A noobie facetanks all damage without realising they can dodge. A semi-experienced player tries to dodge every attack. An experienced player knows which attacks to dodge, which to sidestep and which can be safely facetanked.

This works in high-end instanced content, where those truly dangerous attacks are clearly marked and don't happen too often. It does not work in OW where there's a ton of mobs around, which each can cc/stunlock you. It also often does not work in big squad instances and mid-tier content. In Dragonstorm, for example, it is possible to get cc'ed by one of adds you didn't even see, then get hit by meteor, and jumped on by Braham, all in the span of 2 seconds, without any ability to dodge that, because first, you haven't even seen that cc coming, and after that you''d be down on the floor at the moment, and thus unable to dodge. Even bringing stunbreaks rarely helps, because mobs tend to focus on you in groups, so if you get cc'ed and stunbreak it, you will just get cc'ed immediately by another mob. And Dragonstorm is still relatively tame as far as cc/aoe spam is concerned. There are worse cases than this.

Best advice I can give is to learn boss attack patterns and adjust your positioning accordingly - you'd be surprised how many things can be side-stepped without losing any damage on your part.

Again, you are talking about high-end instances, which are much cleaner as far as effect spam is concerned.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2