Legendary variants cost is unacceptable

8 hours ago, Silverglance.5812 said:

While it is true that new stuff is always the most expensive on release, the price for variants isn't just high - it is increasing. As you said, it's about supply and demand. Let's look at Aurene's Memory for example. The daily limit on that is 27 if you do all three meta events. A single skin takes 250, all variants for one weapon 1500. That's two months of farming ~2h daily just for that. And Runestones are even worse with only two guaranteed drops per day, the rest being left to RNG (and the droprate is pretty low), yet you need 200 of them. There's a huge discrepancy between supply and demand. And yes, in time demand will go down, but so will the supply. Population is the highest after a new release and right now, metas like Dragon's End are actively farmed, but that won't last forever.

And of course I didn't buy EoD just because of the legys, but it was a factor. It's also not about a "perceived" discount - they outright said the variants would be cheaper.

To be fair, that seems about normal for a legendary weapon. I'm currently working on Conflux, it takes 6 weeks to get enough Skirmish tickets.

Using this calculator https://gw2.limitlessfx.com/wvw/pips.php

I'm silver rank right now, 12-15 hours over the week, round about 2 hours daily. Plus all the other things I need to make it.

It's not meant to be a short process.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You can buy mats for gen2 collections too, for "just a little bit of gold". I see no difference.

It costs you around 75 gold to get the research notes. I usually salvage all the ascended weapons and armor I have no use for. 
Of course you can buy all the stuff for gen2 legendaries, but you need a lot more gold for that and a lot more different things. For the variants you only need eight different materials.  Maybe you have bad vision that you don’t see a difference. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

To be fair, that seems about normal for a legendary weapon. I'm currently working on Conflux, it takes 6 weeks to get enough Skirmish tickets.

Using this calculator https://gw2.limitlessfx.com/wvw/pips.php

I'm silver rank right now, 12-15 hours over the week, round about 2 hours daily. Plus all the other things I need to make it.

It's not meant to be a short process.

While it's true that some legendary items, namely armor and trinkets, are taking a good while to acquire, it is important to point out a few things. 1. WvW rewards structure has always been atrocious and should never be used as an example. 2. Trinkets and armor take longer for a good reason - they are way more useable. 3. Despite armor being more useable, for the same time and price you can craft all three sets of legendary armor, you only get 3 weapons - hardly balanced. 4. Legendary weapons so far only ever had negligible timegates, gen 3 and the variants have hard timegates and soft timegates mixed with kitten RNG which makes the economy balance out much slower and increases prices unnecessarily. 5. My main complaint isn't about the legendary weapons being expensive, not even about the variants being too expensive, but the variants being too expensive despite there having been implications to the opposite before release.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

It's important to keep in mind that we aren't actually talking about what it takes to get a legendary weapon. We're talking about what it takes to get a skin. A skin that already requires having made a legendary weapon.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

40 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It's important to keep in mind that we aren't actually talking about what it takes to get a legendary weapon. We're talking about what it takes to get a skin. A skin that already requires having made a legendary weapon.

Yeah -and it's still significantly cheaper than crafting any gen of legendary weapon.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

I don't think anything was misleading at all. I understood it as "the variants will be cheaper than the legendaries themselves", as in if I wanted the Jormag variant sword, then I wouldn't have to craft two whole legendary swords.

I think they did it quite nicely.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

On 8/1/2022 at 1:18 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

Oh, so apparently the mats you use for it cost you nothing. I was unaware that you can get them for free, with not even any opportunity cost. If you can, please share your methods, because i am really curious about those.

Depending on amount of characters you have, you can park them all at the jumping puzzle in New Kaineng to collect 1 Jade Runestone/character/day. I collect 25/day this way. More characters the better here. For Memories of Aurene, Dragonstorm gives 6 daily, and Dragon’s end Meta gives 15 daily. You can get the memories doing these two daily for roughly 10 days. Jade Runestones depends on amount of characters you park. They can also be found in chests throughout eod maps. Perhaps there is a farm out there? Zen Daijun puzzle gives about 4-5 Jade Runestones daily. You need 1-2 people to help with that one though.

• Like 1

This thread would get more support on the subreddit. Most of the people browsing the forums are diehard anet apologists. 

They shouldn't just have a lower cost, there should be no cost. Let me go on the unlock journey, do a collection, whatever. It was literally one of the key selling points that the weapons would come with variants. The entire reason they did it was to appease the "One theme for all of them is lame and low-effort" crowd. To them gate them behind costs which, granted aren't high, feels weird. 

Unlocking the variants should've been a sorta spiritual journey through old experiences, kinda like Seasons of the Dragon but deeper. It shouldn't have been a paywall. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Depending on amount of characters you have, you can park them all at the jumping puzzle in New Kaineng to collect 1 Jade Runestone/character/day. I collect 25/day this way. More characters the better here. For Memories of Aurene, Dragonstorm gives 6 daily, and Dragon’s end Meta gives 15 daily. You can get the memories doing these two daily for roughly 10 days. Jade Runestones depends on amount of characters you park. They can also be found in chests throughout eod maps. Perhaps there is a farm out there? Zen Daijun puzzle gives about 4-5 Jade Runestones daily. You need 1-2 people to help with that one though.

By that reasoning, cost of any legendary is negligible, because you can get most of the stuff for them directly. If we go further, gold also is "free" because you can get 2g just by doing dailies or dragonstorm.

Do i really have to point out the issues with using this kind of logic?

• Like 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

This topic has been already discussed and Anet gave us the best response to our concerns that it could give: raised the cost on gen3 skins. Im not joking, just look at what it was initially and after the research notes got lowered/gold cost been added. It literary costs us more now than when the issue with high price was raised. 

Ive stated it multiple times, Anet misslead us with gen3 promotions minimum two times, first in their blogpost when the "tons of resources" things was said. And second time when they announced gen3 legendaries in general saying "oh look they are all aurene themed, but dont worry you will have additional varians of these legendary skins" which implied that gen3 major selling point was its multiple skins. If you compare gen1/gen2 with gen3 aestetically you will notice that gen3 is Black lion skin level of skins (just look at aurora ones etc). They even got the same animation for the whole set of skins, unlike gen1/gen2. So players assumed that "ok, skins are just overpriced BLC skins, but we will get more skins (reskins) for the same price" and that was the saving grace of the whole gen3 legendary series. Now we have to pay 1/3 the price of gen3 weap (or 1/2 of gen1 weap) to get a REskin of the same weapon. Imagine paying loads of gold for Halloween themed fire weapons (that are just Ascalon catacombs reskins). 

This kind of attitude towards their customers is manipulative. If they said it straight forward (during the announcements/promotions) that you will pay for the skins 1/3 of the lege price, it would be ok, but they didnt, they misslead us. 
To the guys that defend this kind of attitude of Anet: if you like these skins and are ok with paying loads of gold for a skin, good for you, you are totally allowed to. But just think about what will anet do next with this kind of attitude towards their customers. If they will get no backclash for missleading people - they will push this even further for future releases. Now answer me this - do you want to let gw2 fall into microtransaction hell eventually? Why microtransactions? Cause the sole purpose of this gold/resource sink to get those skins is purelly to get people to swipe their cards and get that shiny skin faster than it would take an active player to farm the gold for it. This behaviour is an effort to capitalise on the sole "i want that now" reflex of many people that are addicted to games.  

Edited by soulknight.9620
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

My plan is to just get one of each legendary weapon type - splitting them around the different generations. (No duplicates - I do not care about the skins.) Those variants here ... just seem like some "end game" ... so the won't have to add other stuff that quickly. Cause some people alwayse are too fast.

The achievements tied to it actually seem to hint that they actually want certain types of players to go for everything here - being a bit busy for some time. 😛 And really: The achievement are the only important things. Unless you care about skinks for "completin" as well. Don't think most of them look good. Other generations have more diversity in skins visually.

Edited by Luthan.5236

3 hours ago, Kori Jenkins.9017 said:

This thread would get more support on the subreddit. Most of the people browsing the forums are diehard anet apologists.

Nope, the subreddit pretty much agrees here and actually had topic creator backpedal on his stance: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/wdggh8/legendary_variants_are_overpriced/

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

If it was too easy people would complain it wasnt special enough.

The prices will drop. Look at what almalgamated gemstones and mystic coins now cost. Its a joke. 2 years ago crafting Nevermore, assuming you didnt have any materials, would cost you 2700g. Now its worth 1500g. Thats almost half the price..

Summoning stones are also dropping slowly in price. Like people said. Its a matter of supply and demand. Currently the demand is high. The supply is low. Thats why i dont buy it from tp yet.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

The prices will drop. Look at what almalgamated gemstones and mystic coins now cost. Its a joke. 2 years ago crafting Nevermore, assuming you didnt have any materials, would cost you 2700g. Now its worth 1500g. Thats almost half the price..

You've left the second part of the story - The Nevermore now costs pretty much the same it cost when it was initially released. And it does not look like it will go any cheaper than that. Basically, from how it was originally, the price only massively balooned up, and went down (to previous levels) only after few years. So, your Nevermore example is hardly optimistic - quite the opposite.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Confused 5

9 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You've left the second part of the story - The Nevermore now costs pretty much the same it cost when it was initially released. And it does not look like it will go any cheaper than that. Basically, from how it was originally, the price only massively balooned up, and went down (to previous levels) only after few years. So, your Nevermore example is hardly optimistic - quite the opposite.

Thats because EoD legends required new mats that werent in the game before. Nevermore used materials already ingame. So the initial cost went up when people started to craft it. 

What you left out is that EoD legendary currently costs 1419G (current cost based on gw2eff, excl currencies, Aurene's Rending). This was 2900g upon release.

Edited by Cronospere.8143
Clarification
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Why is the Cost so staggeringly High? 

200 Jade runestones , A super rare  Resource given you can either get a Handfull from daily metas, Or Gamble, gamble, gamble and hope you get lucky. 

250 Dragon memories, Which the Market sharks wasted Zero time driving up to the price of MYSTIC COINS just about. 

Clovers, 100+ Gold in Research Notes. 

They're SKINS, Anet. These are SKINS. That are costing people More than Some ENTIRE COLLECTIONS ever will. 

I get it , they're special skins. 

But they're Not " Multi Hundreds Of Gold " Special , And if it weren't for completionists and Aesthetic hunters this entire Idea would have Completely Flopped right out of the Gate. 

The cost needs a Bigger adjustment than " Oh we shifted The cost in research notes a Smidgen 🙂 We hope that Solves all the problems 🙂 " 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

Jade Runestones are not super rare, just park some alts at the Kaineng  JP. 
I don’t think the cost is too high, you get a skin with unique effects. But if you think they are too expensive, don’t make them. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Nope, the subreddit pretty much agrees here and actually had topic creator backpedal on his stance: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/wdggh8/legendary_variants_are_overpriced/

This part is my favorite: "There are people who bought the expansion/made a gen3, believing we would get legendaries that are basically 7in1."

Some people really thought they should be getting 7 leggies for the price of one and now they're angry that's not the reality. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

This part is my favorite: "There are people who bought the expansion/made a gen3, believing we would get legendaries that are basically 7in1."

Some people really thought they should be getting 7 leggies for the price of one and now they're angry that's not the reality. 🤦‍♂️

Exactly! You are literally getting multiple LEGENDARY skins, they have unique effects, unique footsteps, unique kill animations, and you're only having to pay a few hundred gold for that (assuming you don't just spend 10 days doing some content and more than halving the cost).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1