If Anet added in game ads, what would be the least annoying places to put them?

I am going to continue to bring up unpleasant topics on these forums.  I want these sorts of things discussed by players.

"If you don't say something, it doesn't get said."

I suppose I will be less restrictive though. I viewed the answer, "I would just leave,"as a way to avoid answering the question. Some people seem to think that I was advocating placing ads in game. 

I was trying to ask, "what if X," and "what would be most tolerable given X." I understand, now, that leaving would be the most tolerable option for some players.

I do not expect corporations, CEOs, or shareholders to make good decisions.  Humans are fools, and committees are worse. 

Edited by Zebulous.2934
Paragraph placement
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I am going to continue to bring up unpleasant topics on these forums.  I want these sorts of things discussed by players.

It's unpleasant only for a marketing intern tasked with finding a place for ads in GW2. 😉

1 hour ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I do not expect corporations, CEOs, or shareholders to make good decisions.

Then why do you think they will listen to you (or others here on the forum)?

• Like 5

Nowhere, because this kind of thing is exactly what sinks the gaming ships and sails the NFT skiffs. If A-Net or NC-Soft or kittening HP Lovecraft himself crawled himself from beneath Innsmouth and declared this a good idea, I'd drop this game, its affiliates, and Lovecraft all into the darkest depths of the city beneath. In other words: Does not want, will not play if does get, flush it and a writer into deep, dark, chasm of everlasting torment and fear...

ok, that's a little dramatic. but my point still stands.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I suppose I will be less restrictive though. I viewed the answer, "I would just leave,"as a way to avoid answering the question. Some people seem to think that I was advocating placing ads in game. 

I was trying to ask, "what if X," and "what would be most tolerable given X." I understand, now, that leaving would be the most tolerable option for some players.

I do not expect corporations, CEOs, or shareholders to make good decisions.  Humans are fools, and committees are worse. 

Allow me to use a more direct approach. 

Why on earth did you come up with this idea on the first place, and in some strange distant spark in the brain thought it was a good idea... if you haven't the slightest economic financial gain in it?

What's in it for you, really?

Who would want ads on a game that we already pay for?

Including xpacs, and gemstore items.

As I said on another similar, comical post:

"You... offcourse, was always going to get a lot of flak from players here, with this kind of thread"

Surely you didn't think that people were going to agree with you, did you?

You do realise that now?

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tsakhi.8124 said:

Nowhere, because this kind of thing is exactly what sinks the gaming ships and sails the NFT skiffs. If A-Net or NC-Soft or kittening HP Lovecraft himself crawled himself from beneath Innsmouth and declared this a good idea, I'd drop this game, its affiliates, and Lovecraft all into the darkest depths of the city beneath. In other words: Does not want, will not play if does get, flush it and a writer into deep, dark, chasm of everlasting torment and fear...

ok, that's a little dramatic. but my point still stands.  

If the good old Howard Phillips would create the ads himself, that'd actually be interesting to look at and probably of decent intellectual value though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Allow me to use a more direct approach. 

Why on earth did you come up with this idea on the first place, and in some strange distant spark in the brain thought it was a good idea... if you haven't the slightest economic financial gain in it?

What's in it for you, really?

Who would want ads on a game that we already pay for?

Including xpacs, and gemstore items.

As I said on another similar, comical post:

"You... offcourse, was always going to get a lot of flak from players here, with this kind of thread"

Surely you didn't think that people were going to agree with you, did you?

You do realise that now?

"If the horse is named invincible, how come I can see it?" 

• Confused 8

F2p runesape in the like 2004-2008s used to have it, but it had like 100-230k active players at any time with like 2000 players on w1 and like 40 f2p worlds with 500-1.5k players each. The ads were only to cover some hosting costs but I think they scrapped it later on. (Except for rs3 which gives dwarven mining axe adverts everywhere and squeal wheels.. Because it got bought out by Chinese investors, literally literally. ) 

That would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. I already tolerate too much in some games dealing with invasive MTX and question my own tolerance of it on a regular basis. Ads are something I hate with a passion even more. They are like the invasiveness of MTX with zero relevance to the matter at hand. I really don't need to hear about Carl's Scooter Emporium while trying to be immersed in a virtual world, much less anywhere really. I don't care about Carl's Scooter Emporium. If I want a scooter, I will search for places that have one and see what is available.

And an MMO is just about the worst kind of video game you could put ads into. A place that is specifically supposed to be a world apart from the real world with a constant reminder that it's not.

I would be more specifically visceral about how horrendously awful this entire train of thought is, but it would just get deleted for bringing real world subject matter too much into view.

• Thanks 2

On 8/7/2022 at 4:38 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Why is this even a thread willingfully created by a player?

Exactly. 

Is this thread a joke?

Dont even give them the suggestion or idea we want that. 

The whole world has became 1 big shithole of ads everywhere. Just dont.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:51 PM, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

But I would quit playing. If there were any deliberate advertising in a video game I was playing, I wouldn’t play it.

When I play a video game I am making a choice how to spend my time. If a company were to subsidize their product with advertising for other companies, they are putting something in front of me that I don’t want to waste my time with. I already have and am using the product I want to use right now. 

I don’t own a TV, I don’t use social media, I use ad blockers on the web. When the product we enjoy is advertising to us, we become the commodity being sold, not the consumer. 

Exactly and on point. 

• Like 3

There are already ads in the launcher and also in the gem store tab. Granted they advertise mostly ingame items (launcher ads might advertise webstore stuff too) but those are still ads that make Anet more sales, that's the reason they are there. There's a big difference between "in your face" direct advertising and subtle one, and the latter might be inconspicuous by design.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 12:56 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Please stop giving these companies more ideas on how to completely demolish the integrity of MMO's so they can make a bit more money. Anet will look at your post........it will swirl around in their heads for a few seconds and no matter all of the people responding saying they don't want adds in the game the answer they will come up with is......................."the player base wants us to put adds in the game"

BECAUSE....MONEY.

• Like 2

I fed a what if scenario of Rytlock imprisoning Ryland with the help of Michael's Bay's knockoff brother, Michael Bayson to a Text Ai (Novelai) just to see a what if of what would happen. The AI decided having Micheal Bayson hold Rytlock's son hostage to explode him to sell kitty litter with a "BUY IT OR ELSE YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!!!" was the most logical solution to do. 🤣 Output below if anyone wants lmao.

Rytlock and his son, Ryland, (who was handcuffed to a kitty litter container) was grumbling. "Remember Ryland, if you want to have a breakfast today after EVERYTHING you did. You have to perform a immersion breaking ad for every 1/10th cents of ad revenue. The only way that I will let go is when you finish this ad." said Rylock.

"But Dad! This isn't fun!" whined Ryland as he tried to pull away from the cat litter box. He looked at his father with anger in his eyes, but it quickly disappeared into tears once again.

Suddenly they heard an explosion coming up behind them. They turned around just in time before two large explosions hit their backside. They fell down on the floor, while smoke started filling inside the room.

"I AM MICHEAL BAYSON AND I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT THIS IS THE BEST KITTY LITTER IN TOWN!!! Now BUY IT or ELSE YOUR FAMILY BECOMES MY NEXT MOVIE EXPLOSION ACTION SCENE!!!!!" screamed Michael Bayson gleefully.

A small window popped out showing Michael Bayson standing next to the rest of a human user's kidnapped family. In front of him were five people chained together, all crying. One man was holding a sign saying 'Please buy our stuff or we'll die' . Another one had a sign saying: Please save me!!!' A third person held a sign which read; I am not part of your movie please don't kill us!' And lastly there was another guy who simply said: My name is Joe. We are innocent. Let us go home.'

Michael Bayson walked closer to the group. His face covered by black sunglasses. He pulled off his glasses and showed everyone what he really looks like.

He then smiled wickedly and continued.

"This product is the best because it contains no harmful chemicals. It does not contain any artificial ingredients nor do we use animal fat. This makes this product 100% natural and safe for both humans and animals alike! If you love your pets, you need to try our new line of products!!. RYLAND! TRY THE KITTY LITTER!"

Rytlock grabbed the microphone and spoke.

"My Name Is Rytlock and i'm here to tell you about my favorite brand of cat litter. It's called Pawsitive Pawprints Cat Litter. It comes in three different scents, Natural, Ocean Breeze,and Wild Berry. But most importantly it keeps your house clean so you can keep your pet healthy and happy."

Ryland jumped on stage with the microphone in hand. "SOMEBODY DEAR GOD SAVE ME FROM THIS MADMAN!!" shouted Ryland as he struggled to get free from his chains.

The camera zoomed in on Ryland struggling against his restraints.

Michael Bayson laughed evilly as he continued his sales pitch. "It has been proven that cats prefer to stay indoors than roaming outside where they could be exposed to dangerous things such as cars, dogs, wild animals etc.. So why risk their lives? Buy our wonderful Kitty Litter today and make sure your furry friends live long and prospering lifes."

"PLEASE DONT KILL US!!!!!!" screamed Ryland through the mic.

Then suddenly a flash went off. Rytlock and his son turned around just in time before the explosion hit them. They landed on their backsides and rolled onto the ground. Smoke filled the air and flames licked across the walls.

Michael Bayson stood up smiling happily. "You see kids. That is how you should advertise your product. By using violence and terrorizing those who refuse to buy your product. Now get up and continue advertising."

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

There is no such thing as tolerable placement for ads. The reason is that no matter what anyone here 'concedes' as a 'tolerable' placement, advertisers will see that as places not to put ads and will instead put them where they are completely unavoidable eyesores. You give an inch, they will take a mile. THERE IS NO TOLERABLE PLACEMENT FOR ADS.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2022 at 5:53 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

I am not asking if you want in game ads.  Lets pretend that all mmos will have in game ads in five years.  What is tolerable ad placement?

If we rate tolerability of ads on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is least tolerable and 10 is most tolerable, but all entries, no matter of rating, produced a result of unwillingness to play the game any longer, then the bit about not asking if a respondent would quit is an invalid qualifier.

Lets assume that in five years time all restaurants will cover their food in human excrement. Excrement from what age, race, gender would be most tolerable?

The only real answer is, "I would no longer eat at restaurants."

• Like 2