New Eastern Dragon Mount

Now that we are in Cantha, i really want to ride an eastern dragon mount, one that like Kuunavang. Every time i see her in Arborstone i wish i could ride on a long dragon mount like that one day...

I imaging this type of mount can really fly all directions; energy bar wont affect how high it flys but maybe used for super speed flying (like Aurelion Sol's E skill). And of course the eastern dragon can fly and walk and swim. 

If we are getting this type of mount in the upcoming living world new seasons, what kind of mount feature would you like to see?

Edited by Hoover.6394
  • Like 5
  • Confused 9

ArenaNet has done an amazing job making a stable of mounts that excel in each of their niches. IMO, the only one that can be seen as obsolete would be Springer after you have Skyscale, but even Springer still retains its breakbar damage and ability to launch you into Griffon.

How would your Asian dragon be designed so as to not make the rest of the mounts obsolete?

If it was slower than raptor and jackal over ground, slower than skimmer over and under water, and couldn't fly as high or maneuver as well as skyscale, would you still want it?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Not opposed to something like this being added to the game, but probably not as a mount since we have so many of them already and all movement types seem covered (barring tunneling/web-slinging).

Put it under the vehicles tab instead and have it tote a full party on land the way Skiffs do on water. I guess it'd be capable of walking/running/jumping a short distance off the ground, but its primary purpose would be to drag your team of people around. For possible skins: your dragon, a long dog, a centipede, several Moa following each other, a handful of mining carts, a Charr vehicle, 5 skateboards held together with zip ties and faith.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I literally been waiting for one as a skyscale skin all year but basically gave up recently and bought the current new skyscale. Even if they added it now I'm not gonna buy another skyscale. 😞 too expensive. Seems unlikely that they'd make another flying mount because I'm not sure what it could do different without breaking the game or being something that could buff skyscale or griffon instead, which already compete with each other.

• Like 1

While I don’t see this being added to the game, maybe they could make a skin for the griffon with it. It could glide through the air with a slight wave movement when “flapping” wings. I dunno, but I think that’s the most feasible way to add a Chinese dragon Mount (I think that’s what they are called?) 

• Like 3

Not much against the visual style of mount you want to see, but definitely against some sort of "unlimited flight" one -or for that matter, any mount that will be supposed to be more versatile than skyscale. I'd hate for the new mount to destroy usefulness of the previously existing ones.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

• Hoover.6394 changed the title to New Eastern Dragon Mount

In general I'd rather Anet start coming up with some other features besides mounts to improve or add content to the game, plus like others have already said your idea probably renders several existing mounts obsolete, mounts some people would have put a lot of time, effort and gold into acquiring.  Anet's gotten things covered well enough that if a new mount doesn't make others obsolete, they'd likely still be redundant.  Which is why I'd like them to try to come up with something new.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

There's still a few niches not covered by existing mounts, the main one being hovering. The skimmer does this in theory, but its so slow that no one uses it outside of water. We could easily have a new "flying" mount that only hovers in the air, moves over all obsticles quickly but can't actually fly like Griffon or Skyscale.

Turtle isn't good for this because its very hard to control in general exploration, it has no accuracy.

What we need is basically the opposite of skimmer, a fast hovering mount that moves over land only. It'd be extremely useful for moving over terrain that Beetle, Jackal and Raptor get stuck all over. Also keep in mind we can't compare new mounts to Beetle or Skyscale because they're Living World exclusive only mounts and not everyone is going to own those episodes, so its okay to have alternatives, just like its okay to have alternatives to the turtle because not everyone is going to have that either.

Remember, this isn't going to be the last expansion, and not everyone will own LWS4 and EoD at all. We have to think of the long-term future of the game and not just the here and now.

We also have to keep in mind that we can still get multiplayer versions of the existing mounts. For example there's currently no two-player flying mount, even though that is something which would likely be warmly received by the community especially for players who are couples (also, hero point trains, metas, etc.).

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

There's still a few niches not covered by existing mounts, the main one being hovering. The skimmer does this in theory, but its so slow that no one uses it outside of water. We could easily have a new "flying" mount that only hovers in the air, moves over all obsticles quickly but can't actually fly like Griffon or Skyscale.

Turtle isn't good for this because its very hard to control in general exploration, it has no accuracy.

What we need is basically the opposite of skimmer, a fast hovering mount that moves over land only. It'd be extremely useful for moving over terrain that Beetle, Jackal and Raptor get stuck all over. Also keep in mind we can't compare new mounts to Beetle or Skyscale because they're Living World exclusive only mounts and not everyone is going to own those episodes, so its okay to have alternatives, just like its okay to have alternatives to the turtle because not everyone is going to have that either.

Remember, this isn't going to be the last expansion, and not everyone will own LWS4 and EoD at all. We have to think of the long-term future of the game and not just the here and now.

We also have to keep in mind that we can still get multiplayer versions of the existing mounts. For example there's currently no two-player flying mount, even though that is something which would likely be warmly received by the community especially for players who are couples (also, hero point trains, metas, etc.).

How does what the Skyscale do not qualify as hovering?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

How does what the Skyscale do not qualify as hovering?

It can't hover while moving consistently, it has to touch down eventually. Furthermore as I explained in my post its a LWS4-exclusive mount that you can't rely on anyone having.

EDIT: Players replying to me just aren't reading my post at all, so I digress.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

It can't hover while moving consistently, it has to touch down eventually. Furthermore as I explained in my post its a LWS4-exclusive mount that you can't rely on anyone having.

ALL mounts are exclusive to their respective releases, whether is PoF, LWS4, or EoD.  There are no "Core" mounts, not even the Warclaw, so I don't know where you think you're going with that argument.

• Like 2

We don't need a new mount, especially one that could fly unlimited. It would make pretty much every other mount obsolete. We already have a jack of all trades mount that makes most of the others less relevant - Skyscale.

Now, an "eastern dragon" skin for a skyscale, that would be good. So far practically all the mount skins have been based on the same skeleton. Make it a new skeleton rig, make it a 1600 gem skin. Profit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we were to get a new mount, i would love it to be a spider which could walk on/scale any surface at any angle, including underwater. It would be a modified raptor/jackal with short jumps as its dodge and an aoe immobilise as it's dismount skill (web).

• Confused 1