Roman Gladiator outfit

Are you able to link to an example?

I tried an image search for Roman gladiator and the only one I saw with a cape was the main character from the film Gladiator, but that was earlier in the movie, when he was a soldier. Otherwise they're just wearing seemingly random bits of armour - like the existing gladiator, pit fighter, and scallywag heavy armour skins.

40 minutes ago, OceanVoice.1862 said:

Hi Anet, 

Would you consider making Roman Gladiator outfit with cape. The classic look? This is because since there is a Roman gladiator warclaw skin, why not an outfit to match . Lol

Thank you 

To be fair, we already have the Barbaric armor skin and the Gladiator armor skin in the game since 2012 i think. Both of them resemble what an ancient gladiator of the Coliseum would have looked like back in the day, in my opinion. 

Edited by Sir Alric.5078
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/12/2022 at 2:39 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I didn't see a thread about these, so here we are. I think these are massively good additions to the game and will explain why in a moment, but feel free to share your own views below and let ArenaNet know what you think.

Why this outfit pack is excellent (imo):
- Fairly priced (1,200 gems for both outfits, a new emote tome, 5x dyes, and a total makeover kit - each item is also sold separately if you don't want the combo)
- Wide appeal (You don't have to like it, but you probably know someone who's thrilled today)
- A cohesive, uncomplicated look (this is the kind of thing outfits are best at)
- Fits the world of Tyria (We canonically have tea houses, maids, butlers, nobility, etc.)
- Asura and Charr toes are included in the design instead of being chopped off or clipping through
- Both versions can be worn by both genders 🎉

I'm not usually a fan of outfits (team armor pieces all the way), but if we have to have them, this is exactly the kind of design and functionality I want out of them. That last point in particular is something that's been driving me nuts for years; that you'll put on a pair of pants and watch it turn into three feathers glued to the thigh on a female model or you'll see a nice tunic but on male characters it turns into a potato sack. For wildly different looks, it's probably better to just make a different armor piece or outfit, and it finally happened in October, 2022. This is a massive win in the FashionWar.

If ArenaNet releases more armors and outfits that meet these conditions, I will buy them.

7 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Are you able to link to an example?

I tried an image search for Roman gladiator and the only one I saw with a cape was the main character from the film Gladiator, but that was earlier in the movie, when he was a soldier. Otherwise they're just wearing seemingly random bits of armour - like the existing gladiator, pit fighter, and scallywag heavy armour skins.

12 minutes ago, OceanVoice.1862 said:

Well, you should know that in the event Anet decides to make something similar to what you're asking for and they do include a cape, its almost for sure going to be a separate item from the outfit.  I don't think they have it set up in such a way that a cape would be a part of an outfit like that.

1 hour ago, OceanVoice.1862 said:

Pit Fighter Skirt and Helm is pretty close to that. The rest of I'm not so sure about, but you could play around and see if you can get close. The hardest may be the bracers, closest I'm finding that I have unlocked is the Raven Ceremonial Bracers and they don't dye well. Maybe Martial Artists footwraps for the feet. Chest is hard cause ideally you want something stretches down to meet the skirt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Didn't Roman Gladiators often fight in the coliseum naked?

What Greyhawk said. The point of gladiator armor wasn't so much protection but rather the opportunity for a spectacular death. On this note, the Legion Helmet ( cultural Charr heavy T2 ) is very obviously inspired by Murmillo Helmets worn by certain types of Gladiators.

19 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

C'mon, Kharmin, you know they mean based off the style. The game already has already done outfits that do something similar, like Pharaoh's Regalia.
Unless this was troll bait and I fell for it, in which case fair game.

you took the bait. you owe us some coins pal

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:59 AM, kharmin.7683 said:

Are there Romans in Tyria?

I mean, the Krytans are similar to greeks, Cantha are loose amalgamation of asian cultures, and Elona is a loose representation of Africa. Maybe if we ever left these three zones, we'd meet new cultures (like tyrian rome, or tyrian Australia...).

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1