Revert the post processing change -NOW- [Merged]

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey folks,

I'm looking into this. I believe this change was done as part of the prep work for finishing the transition to DX11 (which you'll hear more about early next year). I'm chatting with engineering this morning about what our options are. Hang tight.

-Josh

• Like 13
  • Thanks 21
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, RedCobra.7693 said:

cool good for you, congratulations you came onto a post complaining about a change to complain to people suffering from the change that you dont suffer from it, once again, cool and congratulations, but there's a mountain of people having issues and thats who the thread is for, if you're not having any issues and notice no difference you shouldnt care if the change is reverted now play the game and enjoy since you notice no difference

Am I complaining? No. If you looked at one of my earlier posts, I specifically stated that I don’t disagree that people are having issues. 

edit: I’m not using DX11 so maybe that’s why I’m not impacted?

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hey folks,

I'm looking into this. I believe this change was done as part of the prep work for finishing the transition to DX11 (which you'll hear more about early next year). I'm chatting with engineering this morning about what our options are. Hang tight.

-Josh

thank you for a response grouch, you truly are the chosen one, im happy now that someone is at least aware of it. I've had to stop playing as its bringing on migraines for me 😞 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hey folks,

-Josh

Thank you! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

edit: I’m not using DX11 so maybe that’s why I’m not impacted?

I tested on DX9 in every post processing setting and it looks the same as all settings on DX11 (using Mistlock Sanctuary as reference). Mistlock Sanctuary really hurts to look at now, if you don't see the difference, maybe you were playing on high before and didn't notice.

I feel like biggest problem is having multiple effects tied to one option, idk how possible it would be, but having a different box for bloom, color grading and other effects would improve a lot instead of one package with everything.

Also I just tested and now I can't see new kaineng sky in daytime anymore, it's all a white bloom 😞

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Alexander.5321 said:

I tested on DX9 in every post processing setting and it looks the same as all settings on DX11 (using Mistlock Sanctuary as reference). Mistlock Sanctuary really hurts to look at now, if you don't see the difference, maybe you were playing on high before and didn't notice.

I feel like biggest problem is having multiple effects tied to one option, idk how possible it would be, but having a different box for bloom, color grading and other effects would improve a lot instead of one package with everything.

Also I just tested and now I can't see new kaineng sky in daytime anymore, it's all a white bloom 😞

I always played with it off because I dislike the post-processing look in this game. I think the first time that I turned it on all year was briefly this morning. 

Thank you for checking DX9 vs DX11. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RedCobra.7693 said:

Its much more noticeable if you have legendary effects, my character is just a ball of light now lol 

New WvW tactic: Blind your opponents!

Edit: Also, Josh, while you're at it. See if you can have them revert the WvW Lord changes too!

Edited by Bristingr.5034

The colors and brightness are WAY off and no matter what you do it won't set like before todays patch. This is just unacceptable put postprocessing back the way it was the game is blinding or way way to dark adjusting gamma. And color's are severely off of what they should be.

Edited by DivaCeryn.2673
  • Like 4

The performance of my game has decreased a lot, before the update in the most populated areas of lion's arch my fps were 50-70 but since the update my fps have dropped to 30-45 and is stuttering like crazy, also I played with the shadows in ultra but now the game crashes if I put the shadows in that setting, please fix this nonsense! I was very happy with the performance I had before!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, RedCobra.7693 said:

cool good for you, congratulations you came onto a post complaining about a change to complain to people suffering from the change that you dont suffer from it, once again, cool and congratulations, but there's a mountain of people having issues and thats who the thread is for, if you're not having any issues and notice no difference you shouldnt care if the change is reverted now play the game and enjoy since you notice no difference

Where exactly is he complaining? Stating that he doesnt see a difference is not a complaint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hey folks,

-Josh

Please impress upon them the need to separately toggle effects like bloom from the rest of post-processing. I'm gonna be besides myself if they rework the graphics settings and still don't allow us to simply disable the eye-melting nuclear bloom! I know it's possible because an amateur did it through the GW2Hook ReShade fork years ago and ever since that deprecated I'm once again forced to miss out on outlines and color grading because the game is effectively unplayable with this implementation of post-FX.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Josh Davis.7865 said:

Hey folks,

-Josh

I already memed you a bit about this in the replies to your latest twitter post about "what would be the most universally hated changes by the player base" ...but yeah.

If this is unintended to be a permanent change and you can promise us that you'll give back the post-processing off setting eventually, I can calm down. But if this is intended to be a permanent change.. idk what I'll do man I played the game for years without it on and I'd have to spam a lot of kittens here to describe my feelings towards being forced to play with it on. (Cause it's too high contrast, oversaturated and looks like kitten)

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always played with post processing set to high, so none of this has come as a shock to me. It looks exactly as I've always seen it.

I'm aware that some areas of the WvW borderlands, particularly at the top right in the snow area have always seemed very bright but this has always been the case for me. It's not be caused by this patch.

That said, clearly some people are having issues or don't like this being forced upon them. If its possible just add Off to Low Medium and High for Post Processing?

Having said all that I've come across one oddity.

I use the DX9 depricated option. I have a Charr Revenant dressed in the Mistward Armour. In Gendarran fields with Post Processing set to high, the way the armour alters colour as the day progresses is quite impressive, particulary at dusk where it takes on a sort of glowing light blue colour. When I've been wandering around the area to the west of  Bloodhill Waypoint, the armour loses its reflectivity and becomes very dull. moving to the east again the armour becomes glowy again.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I believe this change was done as part of the prep work for finishing the transition to DX11 (which you'll hear more about early next year).

Ah, I thought it might have something to do with it since certain aspects of DX11 aren't working properly yet (like some vital AoE effects not rendering).

Looking forward to the news!

11 minutes ago, Jokuc.3478 said:

I already memed you a bit about this in the replies to your latest twitter post about "what would be the most universally hated changes by the player base" ...but yeah.

If this is unintended to be a permanent change and you can promise us that you'll give back the post-processing off setting eventually, I can calm down. But if this is intended to be a permanent change.. idk what I'll do man I played the game for years without it on and I'd have to spam a lot of kittens here to describe my feelings towards being forced to play with it on. (Cause it's too high contrast, oversaturated and looks like kitten)

If this is a permanent change, then I am permanently unable to play the game. Over 10 years here and it's all just gone because Anet couldn't be bothered to think through how removing options would impact players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Andy.5981 said:

I've always played with post processing set to high, so none of this has come as a shock to me. It looks exactly as I've always seen it.

I'm aware that some areas of the WvW borderlands, particularly at the top right in the snow area have always seemed very bright but this has always been the case for me. It's not be caused by this patch.

That said, clearly some people are having issues or don't like this being forced upon them. If its possible just add Off to Low Medium and High for Post Processing?

Having said all that I've come across one oddity.

I use the DX9 depricated option. I have a Charr Revenant dressed in the Mistward Armour. In Gendarran fields with Post Processing set to high, the way the armour alters colour as the day progresses is quite impressive, particulary at dusk where it takes on a sort of glowing light blue colour. When I've been wandering around the area to the west of  Bloodhill Waypoint, the armour loses its reflectivity and becomes very dull. moving to the east again the armour becomes glowy again.

That fits with some reports from players on Reddit that sometimes bloom or effects seem to be tied to location, regardless of graphics settings.  Makes me wonder what is going on with the engine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gilosean.3805 said:

That fits with some reports from players on Reddit that sometimes bloom or effects seem to be tied to location, regardless of graphics settings.  Makes me wonder what is going on with the engine.

yeah, there is definately something screwy going on in certain parts. As I said previously the top of the normal WvW borderlands in the snow has been bright for years (that's with Post Processing set to high). Another area where Ive seen weird lighting effects with Post Processing set to high is at the top of the cliff above Crash Site 1 in Drytop.

I'm currently standing there now, if you stand close to the Hero point and look down into the valley the lighting is fine. If you move towards the Vista the area in the valley gets progressively whiter with a heavy mist (again this is with Postprocessing set to high). Setting it to Low the effect is less pronounced but it is still there.

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 1

Hey folks,

-Josh

Please do. Having to pick between "Blind" or "getting blinded", isn't a great way to play the game. 

This will make me go "Off-Line" quite a lot more, simply due to my eyes getting too strained/getting headaches. 

E: And please consider splitting up all the various effects that are mashed together into "Post-Processing" into different options finally. 

It really doesn't make sense that shading, colour grading, bloom, character outlines, special effects (like drunkenness, hallucinations, some environmental effects, etc.) and so on are all tied to one single graphics option - getting either all or nothing.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You really think it makes sense to nerf catalyst 100 times? From 0.1 to 0.001, really? In addition to the fact that after patch my PC crashed 5 times due to some errors caused by your game client, wasted time on trying to fix the whole thing multiple times..... I mean, do you even test your game before applying any changes to it? Or you just throw it out there and hope it will be fine?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7