Why isn't the que system in PVE?

Twitch.4635

Because it goes against the whole philosophy of dynamic map opening/closing. If everyone sat around waiting for a slot to open on the one prime map, no overflows would be created and most people would miss the event/meta completely (as the previous post intimates). I regularly start AB meta on an overflow map with just a handful of others. By the time we engage Octovine a bunch of other folks have arrived and comm tags appeared.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

10 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Because it goes against the whole philosophy of dynamic map opening/closing. If everyone sat around waiting for a slot to open on the one prime map, no overflows would be created and most people would miss the event/meta completely (as the previous post intimates).

It could use the system that was already there before megaserver update. It required you to be on overflow to queue for the prime map.

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Twitch.4635 said:

Can we please get a queue system for joining different IP maps like WvW has???  It would help save my wrist and index finger from getting carpel tunnel/arthritis as well.

I don't think Anet wants to put a queue system in for OW maps because I don't think they would want to encourage that sort of thing. Besides, it's not like WvW because WvW only has one instance for each map per matchup and so there is only one IP to queue for.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't feel that this would be beneficial and many of the people that claim that they want it are likely not thinking it through.

Let's say that there's a meta about to start and a squad commander posts a LFG for it.  Almost immediately the squad begins to fill up but about a dozen or so are unable to get into the instance because it's full.  This is fairly typical.  Let's also assume that over the entire course of the meta, only six slots open up from people leaving the instance. 

Under the queue system, only the first six people who were quick enough to queue would be able to get into the instance while those that were not quick enough basically are wasting their time.  However, if we use the existing system that we have today, everyone has an equal chance to get into the instance.  If you still favor the queue system, would you still feel the same if you were on the end that doesn't get into the instance?  How about if this frequently happens to you? What about those that have no issues with the existing system and do not want that option taken away?

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7

My opinion is highly biased as someone that leads Meta Trains. My squad is always having trouble getting into the same maps if we can not spawn a new one (octovine and Dragon's end come to mind). So this would be a welcome change from my perspective. But I know nothing of the feasibility of this. Or any negative impact this might cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My opinion is highly biased as someone that leads Meta Trains. My squad is always having trouble getting into the same maps if we can not spawn a new one (octovine and Dragon's end come to mind). So this would be a welcome change from my perspective. But I know nothing of the feasibility of this. Or any negative impact this might cause.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So, what happens when people must spam "Join In" to get into X map?  Annoyance.  Hard to argue anything more (or less for that matter).  What reaction is the annoyance likely to generate?

1) Keep spamming and hoping

2) Rage quit

3) Go elsewhere in the game and do something else

4) Participate in the map events on the shard you're stuck in

The first is unlikely to generate satisfaction.  The second is undesirable both from player and developer perspective.  The third is highly likely, and is kind of OK, even if the player is disappointed.  The fourth happens, and if successful, results in more players being happy with that event at that time than if only one instance of the event completed.

Now, since ANet devs live in a world where players are proactive, cooperative and the best possible outcome is expected, which of  those reactions are THEY banking on?

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

With your method, instead of spamming to make an event, they would sit in the queue until after the event and miss it.  Another problem is people would sit in multiple queues hoping to play an event only to miss it.  Why have all these people waiting in a queue, when they can be sent to a new instance and play the event.  A queue system would result in too many people waiting in multiple queues and not playing. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Jedrik.3109 said:

I'm not sure how this would solve your problem though. At best you would get a list to pick from of existing maps ip addresses. You'd be lucky then to get an ip address that has enough space left for your group. It's not like you'd get the option to open up new maps for your group.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

And when the map opens because the event/meta is over?  What then?

They'll come on here, complain about it, and offer a new suggestion.  They as in not the OP but anyone negatively impacted by that in general.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, costepj.5120 said:

Because it goes against the whole philosophy of dynamic map opening/closing. If everyone sat around waiting for a slot to open on the one prime map, no overflows would be created and most people would miss the event/meta completely

Which is how it is. I used to try tagging and shouting out lane numbers on overflows until i noticed everyone was at the central WP spamming "join map".

Now i either get there early or i join them spamming join map. 9 times out of 10 i'll get into the main map, while 1 time out of 10 will we succeed in the meta on an overflow.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I'm not sure how this would solve your problem though. At best you would get a list to pick from of existing maps ip addresses. You'd be lucky then to get an ip address that has enough space left for your group. It's not like you'd get the option to open up new maps for your group.

I agree to some extent. The only problem it would alleviate is people having to spam the "join in map" button. The group almost always fully gets in even on Dragon's End. This is more just a QoL thing. And could totally understand if resources were not spent on this.

As an aside, there are ways to spawn new maps if I have enough people with me. So that has never truly been a huge issue.

• Like 1

Honestly I'm getting pretty worried of every quality of life change being downvoted into oblivion by players who don't want anything to change, which is becoming more and more common.

I really wish we could go back to players thinking about other players in this community.

Regardless, the map instance system sucks, and most newer players have to have it explained to them because right-click/join/error isn't in any other game I've played. Most of them have had a queue, and the few that didn't were entirely open-world (no map boundaries), so didn't need one anyway.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 4
  • Confused 8

A better system would simply be to have a "queue for meta/boss/map" system that basically just randomly groups people once it has enough to get a map filled decently. Most people just want to join the ones in LFG because usually every other map is mostly empty due to multiple maps being open. A grouping system could potentially alleviate that. 

That being said, I think the overall problem is that when people mass join LFG stuff it leaves a portion of players with no where to go/nothing to do. Instead of events becoming dynamic they've turned into 30 min waiting sessions so you can actually do the content.

Shouldn't be so frustrating for players to join in and out of open world content. There's some irony knowing that Dragonstorm basically has this exact system

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Honestly I'm getting pretty worried of every quality of life change being downvoted into oblivion by players who don't want anything to change, which is becoming more and more common.

I really wish we could go back to players thinking about other players in this community.

Regardless, the map instance system sucks, and most newer players have to have it explained to them because right-click/join/error isn't in any other game I've played. Most of them have had a queue, and the few that didn't were entirely open-world (no map boundaries), so didn't need one anyway.

I'm worried about some people disregarding any and all arguments given against it just to default into a convenient "people just don't want the change because no". Did you miss the posts mentioning why they think that change would be bad? Do you need me to quote them for you? Mind that this is not sarcasm, this is an actual question and I can quote some for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I haven't played queue games like you mentioned. But for the games that are entirely open-world one, no map boundaries you usually have servers with limited server capacity. They have but one instance and usually you don't have any options to move to another instance/server unless you re-roll. You're stuck with a few thousand players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It wouldn't be detrimental to the game, you already have people camping at waypoint spamming to join a map, which makes the map they're on appear dead. If there was a queue people would be able to actually play the game and help the map they're on until they join the map they queued for. You are naive if you think people actually say "oh this map I'm trying to join is full, I'm going to do it on the map I'm on now". Especially true if there is no tags. Also Anet can revert changes  why not give it a shot?

• Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1