GW2 = best game of all time????

56 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

That's like arguing streetfigher games are not good because you just repeat the same thing over and over, or chess, or diablo games etc etc.  Humans play games for pleasure until they don't get pleasure anymore.  There is a very small list of games  in the history of games that people will play for thousands of hours and GW games are in that class, which is certainly an argument for being one of the best. 

MMORPG are the at the top end of RPG evolution, and that's why the greatest MMORPG are up there with the best, they represent the peak of a very important gaming genre.

The Peak of RPG-gaming because people Spend tousend of hours in it, because of the way mmo's are designed?

You definitly did Not Play a Lot of RPG's xD.

And i'm Not saying gw2 is Not great. Just that playhours are Not an indication of a good Game. With this Logic Games Like FIFA where the top noch of Games Out there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

The Peak of RPG-gaming because people Spend tousend of hours in it, because of the way mmo's are designed?

your looking at that as a side effect, its an indication of success.  MMOS are extremely complicated and expensive and rare because they need to offer content that will last for years which is extremely difficult to do.  Other MMORPG have done it, so how does GW2 stack up against them could become the next question.  

The problem here is the question however, there is no way you can identify the best game of all time, its too subjective.  A better question would be is GW2 a candidate for going into a game hall of fame.  Now look at each genre, and identify the best of all time across each genre.  At that point  GW 1/2 would certainly be a candidate when you look at what it offers in comparison to other MMORPG, taking into account when it was created,  richness of content, community, graphics, performance, no sub, no pay to win, genre innovations widely seen as positives etc.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Confused 2

I invest in GW2, like someone invests in model trainsets I guess. It's a nice hobby and I don't mind spending my monthly "game" money on it. I normally stay away from anything knight/armor/sword related as it's not my genre, but for GW2 I made the exception. The combat is just great (except the Mech rifle burst animation, that's horrible lol), and all the different gametypes keep you busy.

Personally I don't need another game besides gw2, but I do play others when I have a break from it. Nothing whats even close to GW2 though haha, I "normally" play space horror games... XD

Edited by Hemi.5267
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

One thing to bear in mind when debating the time spent on a game is that GW2 is 10 years old now and has gotten 3 expansions. If it was a single-player RPG it would be 4 seperate games, maybe 5 given the Living World stuff is also bigger than a typical expansion pack.

It wouldn't surprise me if adding up all the time players spend on a multigame series over a decade comes close to the time spent on an MMO.

I've played GW2 for more than 7,000 hours in total, but it averages out to 2 hours per day, and I've definitely played some other games for comparable amounts of time, and with a similar pattern of being more active on some days and then taking breaks for a few days or weeks or whatever. Yesterday I spent about half the day playing Breath of the Wild and all I was doing was zigzagging up and down a mountain in case there was anything there to find.

• Confused 1

I appreciate Guild Wars 2 a lot but theres no way it could compete with games like Elden Ring for best game.
I adore MMORPG's because of their length, but the actual gameplay mechanics usually can't compete with Single and Multiplayer games.
On top of that, i actually liked Guild Wars 1 better, It's just to outdated now to enjoy.

Edited by Squishy.6139
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

One thing to bear in mind when debating the time spent on a game is that GW2 is 10 years old now and has gotten 3 expansions. If it was a single-player RPG it would be 4 seperate games, maybe 5 given the Living World stuff is also bigger than a typical expansion pack.

It wouldn't surprise me if adding up all the time players spend on a multigame series over a decade comes close to the time spent on an MMO.

I've played GW2 for more than 7,000 hours in total, but it averages out to 2 hours per day, and I've definitely played some other games for comparable amounts of time, and with a similar pattern of being more active on some days and then taking breaks for a few days or weeks or whatever. Yesterday I spent about half the day playing Breath of the Wild and all I was doing was zigzagging up and down a mountain in case there was anything there to find.

just curious, what other games have you played 2 hours a day every single day for  9 1/2 years?

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

just curious, what other games have you played 2 hours a day every single day for  9 1/2 years?

I think you misunderstood my post. Firstly I didn't say I played GW2 every single day (because I haven't), I said it averages out to 2 hours per day. Many days I don't play at all, but then I play for more than 2 hours on other days.

More importantly though my point was that other games don't get played regularly for 10 years or more because they don't get regular new releases over that length of time. Most single-player games get an expansion comparable to a couple of LW episodes, maybe 2 or 3 if they're doing really well, then it's a matter of waiting for a sequel if you want more of it. But I think if you compared the amount of time people play a new single-player RPG in a month to the amount of time people play GW2 in a month it would be about the same.

• Confused 1

GW2 has a lot going for it.   To name a few:

* Ninja-proof nodes (etc.);

* In-motion combat;

* Its take on mounts.

Things it doesn't have, which would make it a contender for best game (for me) would include

* Temporary CC immunity, because there just isn't enough CC mitigation in any one kit;

* An effects slider, because the core aspect of most of the game are large scale fights in the PvE world and WvW and seeing anything is a stone cold kitten;

* More depth and less complication in character building.

• Confused 1

Yes, it is, Guild Wars 2 is one of the best MMO the whole time, it's a shame I did not know its existence until 2017.

PvE contents, more people the merrier! Compare to WoW and Wildstar (Rip btw, it's dead), the game encourages players to help others in events, because everyone is rewarded for their efforts in participation. No high level players camping low level regions to deprive of new players' game experience, as everyone's level is synchronized to match the region, unless you're in Lv 80 zones and expansions.

Fair crafting systems, a rewarding way for those who have been salvaging unneeded gears to make Ascended gears.

Helpful community, with Steam release, I've been getting more and more of my friends to get hooked to the game, making their gears, while teaching people in Fractal to cull their fear of alleged "difficult contents".

Grand  open world meta experience with coordination as extra sweeteners, making one wants to just to come back for another spin over and over, because event chains are amazing.

Honestly, what's there to hate of the game?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I got tired of gw2 and hopped to a few other mmos including ffxiv and swtor and this is what I found

swtor pros: Star Wars! some really cool abilities, emphasis on well done group content.

swtor cons: huge maps: spend half of my game time just running, bad art, wants your money.

ffxiv pros: awesome story, interesting places, more races, cool asian style, cat race (char are big and bulky, cats are lean and agile)

ffxiv cons: stand still really really really long time to cast anything, long cut scenes, cannot join server full please try again later range classes hard to level.

gw2 pros: moving/instant cast skills, mount while moving, staff daredevil is what darth maul strives to be, good graphics,

gw2 cons: afk and bots in spvp, aoe vomit, wierd event scaling, New Keining is a ghost town,

personally, I like gw2 because I have already spent a lot of time with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

To me, gw2 is the best mmo. And the only mmo I play at the moment. As for best game, I don’t think I have any game I see as “best”. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to play chill farming sims like stardew valley, and sometimes I want to play platforming games like Ori and the blind forest. Other times it may be spooky survival games (hello subnautica👀) or comedy games.

Point is that a “best game” does not exist. As one game cannot do all these different things that I sometimes crave when it comes to gaming. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I play because there's no endless gear grind tread mill, I could never go back to an MMO that has one. Having your gear made obsolete every 3 months as with those massive behemoth MMOs is depressing and sole destroying.... "Hey guys get excited ! All your gear is obsolete, start all over again !". On the downside I really do miss those quarterly new story content updates 😢 and so will ex WoW and FFXIV players we've managed to lure over once they realise thats not a thing here ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:23 AM, Einsof.1457 said:

I personally think it is. I love everything about it.  That's not to say it's perfect but I don't have fun in other games to the same degree as I do in gw2. What other game can keep me around for 4000+ hours and I still haven't cracked 20k achievement points yet lol. While at my day job, I look forward to raiding with my static, doing fractal dailies, gearing alt builds, and doing legendary wep collections. It makes me happy 

Cracked 20k achievement points. The fun doesn't stop. 

• Confused 1

I think one's "best" or favorite game is objectively subjective inasmuch as one's point in their lifetime and journey. Often people will have as their fave their first, regardless of genre, of whatever genre they then and because of get attached to. Many people to this day will not think twice before claiming GW 1 is superior, far superior to GW 2 even-though it's objectively inferior mechanically, technically and graphically - this has less to do with the intrinsic virtues and faults of either game but rather connects to what GW 1 came to mean at the time it was, what it was, as a game in the broad industry and as an experience for each of those people in their particular walks and stages of life.

That cool game that you discover as a youth, when life is opening up on multiple fronts, has a big chance to become your "best ever" because it irretrievably becomes part of that special, irreplaceable - nostalgic - period of your own life (even if it be undeniably a trashy p2w clunky mess).

So, in trying to preserve a modicum of objectivity I won't go back too far to the days of Pitfall, River Raid and Enduro on the Atari; more recent titles like No Man's Sky, Hollow Knight and Cities: Skylines, which are each in their own niche, still closely relate to GW 2 in a remarkable freedom-of-way manner as all of them give me a lot of agency on how I want to do what I want to do and when.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

(Incidentally this topic is also reminding me I need to play Disco Elysium more. Oddly in that game I was a bit disappointed with how much freedom it gave me. I wanted to experiment with all the ways I could fail and inadvertently fell into a good strategy by playing my character as even more of an insane disaster than he defaults to. After about 2 hours the game started hinting that no one would care I wasn't wearing many clothes and the tie I was wearing started talking to me, which was fun, but I had a surprisingly hard time breaking it or failing. I think I need to try playing it straight and see how that goes instead.)

Disco Elysium is the best game I am yet to play =P

This is a bait thread, but it gives me a opputunity too say there's only like, 7 truly good games ever made:

Dark Souls 1 

Earth Defense Force 2025/4.1

Final Fantasy Tactics

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite 

Fallout: New Vegas

DMC 3 

Armoured Core, uh, something, idk both the PS2 and PS3 games are good in dif ways I just haven't played any in bloody years, at least I have played the PS2 games unlike the mouth breathers who were all like "OMG New AC!!!!!1111 Can't wait to play a game I've only just heard about but I'll pretend I knew what it was for years when it comes out in 2027!!!!!!111"   

Also ARK is a good game but in a janky memey kinda way, I still have 1k hours in it and counting but still, janky and memey.

TL:DR: There are no good games, only games that suck less then others, GW2 in this case just sucks less then WoW and FF14 and thusly it makes it good, Yoshi "just play ultimate if you wanna feel engaged while spamming ONE BUTTIB as a healer lol" P is a f**king fraud and you can't tell me otherwise

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shadamehr.1284 said:

I play because there's no endless gear grind tread mill, I could never go back to an MMO that has one. Having your gear made obsolete every 3 months as with those massive behemoth MMOs is depressing and sole destroying.... "Hey guys get excited ! All your gear is obsolete, start all over again !". On the downside I really do miss those quarterly new story content updates 😢 and so will ex WoW and FFXIV players we've managed to lure over once they realise thats not a thing here ...

GW2 does normally get new releases at least quarterly. Since EoD they've been focusing on bringing back Season 1, but we're due for something new, continuing the story after EoD, soon. We just don't know what it will be yet.

• Like 1

No it's not, but its not bad either. Out of all mmo this one doesn't have a subscription mode, which is annoying since,first I can't afford to pay every month, and second I don't play as much as before and only want to play when I have time, which is few hours a week.

But it's not great since the last expansion the story became dull and they went political, but the worst part is they rushed the features in the expansion (which isn't as great as other expansions tbh)it's like they introduced mounts only in pof maps and later introduced them outside pof maps (jade bots). Kinda sad,I hope they get better.

• Confused 1