Feature idea: passive cultivation

Nabbut.7480

Many GW2 players like to idle: whether in capital or while waiting for big event.

To accomodate them, a feature of passive cultivation can be added when a character assumes lotus pose and generates XP income and progress towards a special rewards track.

Further enhancing income from cultivation, there can be various cultivation mats, and shrines in capital cities.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Bad idea. There are already too many afk idle rewards in this game.

Thing is, you can't force the idlers to move, so why not play nice and add to GW2's player-caring reputation?

I am returning from mobile gaming where I explored a whole genre of Idle RPG which is immensely popular so adding the same feature to GW2 can lead to increased player satisfaction.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Many GW2 players like to idle: whether in capital or while waiting for big event.

To accomodate them, a feature of passive cultivation can be added when a character assumes lotus pose and generates XP income and progress towards a special rewards track.

Further enhancing income from cultivation, there can be various cultivation mats, and shrines in capital cities.

Not needed here, I use my molten throne and assume the 'dark lord' position

• Haha 9

Sounds a little like the meditation-system in Dragon Sky (MMORPG).

>Resting< is how GW2 handles it at the moment. It also works while using a regular chair anywhere in Tyria.

Adding more boni, like your suggested reward-tracks, would probably be abused by the afk-farmers mostly.

But if it was in safe-zones only, or would only work when you and our pets are not in combat, it would make social interactions (= chat) more useful. People could take more time to answer questions and talk more casually.

7 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I’ve never understood the “reward people for leaving their computer on” mentality popular in Korean MMOs.

“People are going to afk anyway, might as well reward them,” is such a bizarre argument.

It works for certain mobile games (the 'idle games' the OP mentioned in one post) because they make their money either through making you sit through (or click through) adverts or from impatient people who will pay to get some of the rewards faster than they would by waiting.

But those games also have a different demographic to GW2, they appeal to people like my parents who just want something to do with their hands while watching TV or on a train or whatever. (There might well be some cross-over with GW2 fans, but even then it would be people looking for different things from each game.)

I don't think it would be a good move for Anet or for players, because having a bunch of people afk in towns doesn't do anything useful for either. It doesn't make the game more active and fun for people who are actually playing (and other afkers won't notice) and it doesn't generate any income for Anet, while increasing demand on the servers. This game is more lenient than some about going afk, it takes quite a while to be kicked for inactivity if you're in a town, but I doubt Anet want to do anything to encourage it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

If you don't want to play the game, turn it off and go do something else. At no point you somehow deserve any reward by default.

6 hours ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

I am returning from mobile gaming where I explored a whole genre of Idle RPG

Yup -and if you want to play an idle game... play an idle game. It's just that simple.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Arborstone has a buff that occumulates depending on how long a character is logged out there.  It's a bonus to experience for a limited time.  That's the closest thing that GW2 has to what you describe.  Naturally, the players and developers are quite hostile to adding anything in more than that.  

You get that buff anywere now  by just sitting in a chair.

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You get that buff anywere now  by just sitting in a chair.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Resting#See_also
There's different buffs, from 5% to 25% bonus open world XP. You can only get the 5% one (A Little Well Rested) outside of Arborstone. Longer chair sitting only increases the duration not the strenght, and I do have maxxed the mastery track. So Arborstone is still the place to rest if you want full benefits of the masteries.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Thanks 1