Would you buy GW3 if it didn't have a pvp mode?

Would you buy GW3 if it didn't have a pvp mode?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy GW3 if it didn't have a pvp mode? (not WvW, but a pvp format like 1 and 2)

• Yes
    • No
    • deep down, i still love guild wars, but I hate the direction...i can't say

Moving from one MMORPG to another is, even if it is a sequel or rather especially when it's a sequel, is always risky.

For Arenanet within the Guild Wars franchise it is especially tricky because even if GW1 was no MMORPG (rather a tactical CRPG with online elements), it does make it a second jump and if there is 1 thing many MMORPG players dislike, it's abandonment of "their game of choice".

That's without even getting into track records of successful or failing sequels.

As to Spvp, WvW and competitive modes in general: currently the studio does not shine as the most invested into providing a decent competitive experience.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5

what scene lmao.

2 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I wouldn't buy it even if it had pvp.

After how they handled the competitive scene here allowing certain privileged individuals to cheat and ruin the game, I wouldn't trust Arenanet again with any competitive scene.

I hate saying that but I am being 100% serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on what it looks like.

If they rediscovered their open world, MMO for people who dislike MMOs roots, I might.

If it looks like they are leaning further into lobby game with instanced boss fights, no thanks.

I enjoy PvP at times, but it’s not a deal breaker either way.

• Haha 1

Any purchase of an MMO, regardless of it being GW3 or some other soon to be released NCSoft product, will come down to the details.

• Is the gameplay smooth?
  • Is there a variety of well balanced and fun ways to build a character?
  • Is there a mixture of easy and hard content that allows me to make meaningful progress?
  • How dependent is the endgame gameplay on instanced content?
  • Is the competitive gameplay open world or not?

From a competitive viewpoint I've always preferred open world PvP to instanced PvP.

GW2 is getting too dependent on instanced content in my opinion. At that point they may as well go back to GW1's engine and give me Heros again if they continue that trend in GW3.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

For me WvW concept is OK. I like PvPvE. Best ofc was lineage2, then what I played Aion.

In GW2 WvW seems like addon, afterthought added by different developers. Different masteries, mounts, even UI.

Overall I like GW2 because no gear threadmill makes it more chilling.

Yeah, I would buy GW3 only if they integrate OW with PVP.

Edited by Gendalfs.7521
wrong word

3 hours ago, Shagie.7612 said:

cheers everybody see u all in gw3 when it comes out

i know you'll be there

You greatly underestimate the level of mistrust this company has sown with its player base.

1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Gw3 seems like a bad move when your community is this demoralized with what you're putting out now. 

And that right there is why I really really do not understand why they allowed the ****tiest-show this side of the gaming industry to occur right here in their own game, GW2. You'd think they'd have wisdom to realize that 11+ years worth of exposed corruption and ill-word of mouth reviews would be a bad thing concerning the sales of future products.

I'd like to stress my use of the word corruption, not negligence, but corruption.

The absolute best decision they could have made for the long haul of their reputation, would have been to completely eliminate the cartel rather than to support & protect them. But they did not do this and clearly have taken the route of potential bribery or w/e it was that made them decide to turn blind-eye to what was going on and allow it to happen.

For these reasons, on June 6th when Diablo 4 releases, you'll no longer see me in-game or in this forum. I will be quite happy to leave this fake larped theater show and move on to other games.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I'm already spending 90% of my gaming time on other games. WoW is my main MMO again. Smash Bros is my go to for scratching my PvP itch. 

I've grown tired of these destructive balance patches. Negligent behavior towards cheating/afks in PvP. Never ending content droughts. The mentality from the community that gets certain elite specs deleted from PvP. (Rip Mechanist). 

If it's out for a while and the reviews are consistently positive, I'll give it a try. But I won't be picking it up blindly because of any attachment to the current game. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I wouldn't buy it even if it had pvp.

After how they handled the competitive scene here allowing certain privileged individuals to cheat and ruin the game, I wouldn't trust Arenanet again with any competitive scene.

I hate saying that but I am being 100% serious.

Stop lying to yourself buddy. You are way too emotionaly invested in this game (for a decade if not more) to just let it go. I would bet money that you would buy gw3.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7

I wouldn't get it even if it were to have PvP.

1) ArenaNet GMs are either overworked or are told to ignore blatant issues like match fixing, AFKing, Tournaments not giving rewards when people quit, people spamming plain TOS-violating phrases constantly in map chat.  So maintaining a gaming environment governed by rules is already a low priority for ArenaNet.

2) No one monitors the community@arena.net email address for ArenaNet partner relations.  Literally no one at this point.  So many individuals are not listed on Twitch, YouTube, or a third-party website and are STILL listed as partners  Several other individuals engage in kittenous behavior on stream and in videos, too, and somehow are partnered.  

3) ArenaNet has minimal priority for bug fixes.  SEVERAL bugs I have reported on over the years are STILL not fixed.  

4) ArenaNet controls the narrative on every page designed for community discussions - this forum, the subreddit, and the two unaffiliated Facebook pages such that if you complain about parts of the story, individuals just automatically assume in their NPC minds that you're just an infernal individual worthy of extirpation.  And then you have equally bad unaffiliated Guilds and their Discords where if you say a peep about people being kittenous, you get removed because you bothered to speak out.

5) They do NOTHING about people openly selling their accounts on third-party websites that you can simply GOOGLE.  It's so easy to buy and sell accounts and they do nothing about that.  No cease-and-desists.  Nothing.

6) They only quietly dismissed a former employee who falsely accused a man of manslaughter because he had an agenda the company as a collective did not agree with.

7) They ban people in chat who make comments about people's hair colors.  That's particularly petty.  That pedantic behavior rankles the fan base to no end.

8 ) They do not care about competitive balance at all.  It doesn't make them any money at their long 20-person table meetings where everyone wears $500+ suits.  Instead, they re-sell skins of the same kind with a different color shade because they didn't bother to let people re-color many cosmetics.

List goes on.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Gw3 seems like a bad move when your community is this demoralized with what you're putting out now. 

I occasionally have fun in pve, but I've spent whole play sessions in the arena. That's basically my home in game.  No Pvp would not be the only dealbreaker for me, but it would be a significant one of many. 

I wager that speaks to more people than you probably realize. For a lot of players the competitive modes like PvP/WvW are their main mode that keeps them coming back to the game and engaging in other parts of it.

PvE has a crowd but for competitive-minded players it's too repetitive and predictable to really justify sinking the time into it, especially to an aging, small playerbase.

Personally I would appreciate the honesty; given all the shady stuff that happens with this game's PvP, but that honesty wouldn't be enough to get me to buy Gw3.

At the end of the day; if Gw3 ultimately lacked PvP, then it would be a downgrade from 2, but if it had PvP exactly like Gw2, then it would be closer to sadistic torture.

• Like 2

My next step in MMOs will be the LoL one from Riot. Unless the combat system is atrocious (highly unlikely) is the only company with financial muscle big enough to craft a  AAA MMOas a well polished product and to put lot of focus in the competitive game modes. 

Any other incoming MMO game will probably be forced to have crapy qol and mechanics to sell you the fixes, so they can milk you as much as they can until the player leaves the boat. You can like Riot or not but no one can negate that they have plenty of success keeping active the competitive side of their games.

At this point in time I think that hoping for solutions in the PvP of GW2 or a highly unlikely GW3 is just silly. Both GW and GW2 had very strong focus in PvP, but the company moved entirely away from that focus due the nature of the average player, and now ANet is a way weaker place than 10 years ago (a GW2 revival or a GW3 release isn't going to happen). That's my honest view.

• Like 3

Im around since GW1 2005 ish and considering how anet treats spvp and wvw for years, how much empty marketing blabla we got in the past and how grindy games are today specially with all kinds of qol brakes build in so people rock the ingame shop a GW3 will not see me. Have not the power to go with such again.

My account is full of grinded and unlocked stuff I wont kill all this time to restart in a new GW3 from scratch.

Also I dont think Anet has any professionals left in ther company to make it a good game. The main initiators of Guild Wars left years ago and now all we have is some trial and error trainee on the job mentality on change management…

Nah GW3 would be a reason to go in final retirement and quit mmo gaming.

• Like 5