Stop making walking simulator content.

Shadowmoon.7986

The past 2 update I would classify being mostly walk simulator in terms of the story. First we had a party the pc did nothing, then the investigation, which we had 1 encounter at the end.  Then we actually had a decent action rpg section, and then the update was over. 

This was followed up for 10 weeks of records that never advanced the plot.

And now we have at least 30 minutes of walking around doing nothing.  Compare this to personal story or any proper ls episode that is not ibs. 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

I am a little in shock how badly this one seemed to go. I enjoyed the fight, and the epilogue bit did raise a smile, but the rest of it was just a-b stuff with little-no development. All of this could have been in the last episode.

A ten week wait for this and no reveal, no advancement. Just a lot of talking and walking

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't know because I'm stuck on Emotional Release. Spoke to Taimi once and now the story step has just completely halted. 

Given what I've read in here I guess I'm not missing out so I'll check out the rest of the map and call it a day. I definitely don't feel like dropping the story and waypointing 4 times just to press F and rehash story beats for the 18th time in the past 2 years. 

• Like 9

yeah this was about the most boring episode to date.

listen to this audio recording, listen to the next audio recording, and then the next 10!

now head to several other continents to listen to some more talk!

lets throw in some mandatory fishing before the next talk!

😩💤

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/26/2023 at 1:40 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

listen to this audio recording, listen to the next audio recording, and then the next 10!

😩💤

What did you prefer reading the books or moving the boxes.

• Haha 13
  • Confused 1

On 5/23/2023 at 3:22 PM, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

The past 2 update I would classify being mostly walk simulator in terms of the story. First we had a party the pc did nothing, then the investigation, which we had 1 encounter at the end.  Then we actually had a decent action rpg section, and then the update was over. 

This was followed up for 10 weeks of records that never advanced the plot.

And now we have at least 30 minutes of walking around doing nothing.  Compare this to personal story or any proper ls episode that is not ibs. 

re: the bold, I am not sure you know what rpg actually means.
Because... it mainly means walking simulator with interactive story. Like deciding whether or not to provide a beverage to a party, or which trauma to talk about, or who to go on a date with.
While the content was a bit disappointing, it was not even remotely so for the reasons you present, OP.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:40 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

😩💤

You do know those audio recordings were released over the several weeks and aren't part of What Lies Within release.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 1:43 PM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

You do know those audio recordings were released over the several weeks and aren't part of What Lies Within release.

Right, but if you didn't do them once a week for 10 weeks, you had 10 to listen to. Still boring. Still dull. Worst filler ever. I think Anet has run out of ideas. By all objective reasoning, this story was not good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

The walking and talking aspect is not the problem. The main issue is the underwhelming delivery, interacting ten times to hear a portion of the recordings instead of one interaction to tell a full story. It was too short, I understand what it tried to show, but it didn't even have the time to deliver a portion of what it wanted. It was one of the worst episodes, the only one that surpass it was placing danger signs at Wayfarer Foothills when season 1 was released.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, Bast.7253 said:

I wouldn't know because I'm stuck on Emotional Release. Spoke to Taimi once and now the story step has just completely halted. 

Given what I've read in here I guess I'm not missing out so I'll check out the rest of the map and call it a day. I definitely don't feel like dropping the story and waypointing 4 times just to press F and rehash story beats for the 18th time in the past 2 years. 

you need to restart the story (it'll resume at the mai trin part), then wait 15 seconds before talking to taimi after exiting the underground cavern where you pilot scruffy. it's a bug where she's interactable before the scene is set up, whereas normally they disable talking to the npcs for a while.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I would honestly prefer less story content but content that lead you directly in the new area and make you stay inside than any more trek through all Tyria.

All those hours to develop content that seems off the mark instead of focusing those ressources on permanent contents like new game modes for PvP or other repeatable contents.

We only do the story one time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

GW1 and GW2 were always PvE story-focused games. 
The meta is part of the map's story and the instances story should set the meta up. Let's take the iceborood saga as an example (spoiler alert). After starting no quarters, Efram says that he will take the beach side while Kasemeer will take the other side, and this is exactly how the meta works. The meta is part of the ongoing story, and I see it as amazing. Having maps that are all about repeatable content without anything behind it might fit part of the community and alienate the rest.

Edited by Rhinala.1739
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 11:27 AM, Rhinala.1739 said:

GW1 and GW2 were always PvE story-focused games. 

I already don't recommend the GW1 story, but it had more missions worth repeating than GW2 has chapters worth repeating.

The metas are only many times more entertaining than the stories because there is much, much less talking and much, much more action. And you can come and go as you please.

I was disappointed with the excuse Aurene used to explain her coming absence. I don't like the empty space in the Hall of Heroes. Will not play a second character to the point that Aurene disappears forever.
I was disappointed with Vlad's part, it was just repetitive babble from his audio recordings from PoF. At least Cinder's part brought more, something new. And the new map is so unattractive, I didn't want to go there a second time to continue the story.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

I loved GW1 missions, especially Nightfall's and Eye of the North, but I can see where you are coming from.
The new maps are so unimaginative that I am somewhat uncertain about the quality and scope of the new expansion because Anet gave us a very bad precursor.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

From bada ss Balthazar , loved palawa joko , interesting and well written kralkatorrik , we go to head of dragon n*1 and n*2 (spoiler ahead : aka jormag and primordius) then an ok - meh story with eod (not even close to pof and ls 4) and after that ... the boxes ... the freaking boxes , and the freaking fishing and logbooks ... what happened ? did they fire the whole story team and get leftovers from dysney ? or they use an AI to do those storys ? not want to be offensiv but nobody seems to like the last story part , after all it's called guild "wars" , we have guilds , but where are the wars ? battle with my inner self is not a battle .

+ the lazy new last fractal full of bugs 

Spoiler

poor kannaxai deserve way better

i am afraid to see the story from Soto.

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This subforum just looks like people complaining about the story nonstop 😆 Most players not going to care about the story in an MMO, and it's never going to be the same as a singleplayer RPG. That said, this last story update feels particularly uninspired; the big bad doesn't even seem to have any voice lines. Maybe that's not a bad thing though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Reminds me of EoD's story as well when you realised you can actually alt-tab and watch a movie while they are talking as you can afk through 95% through EOD's story. 

Even the fight sequences can be afk'd, I afk'd shortly after entering the city zone and came back to unlocking the jade bot. I afk'd after collecting messages before the first one finished, afk'd afk'd afk'd. 

Besides the start mission and a mansion mission, which I think are the only ones which can't be afk'd cause you have to actually move! 😮 Still constant dialogue that's great to turn off to 0 volume. Seriously EoD has to be played with 0 volume dialogue because of how unskippable it is. So it makes sense that living worlds or any story following are going to be walking sim with dialogue dumps. 

I think they have forgotten how to write a good gw2 story like they used to, cause we did have some good stuff in the past not including lw3 which was just weird. But even that features quests you couldn't afk. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wait, GW2 had a good story at one point?  Even the original story had basic tropes of 'get the group together again', and that group was (IMO) a bunch of a characters you didn't care about (your order mentor might have been the most interesting of the bunch).

Maybe the new expansion will mix things up, since they will finally stop dealing with dragons - gives them something new to experiment with, where as most of the previous content you knew pretty early on that the end was going to be killing a dragon.  So you knew the destination, and the road to get there wasn't very interesting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

and that group was (IMO) a bunch of a characters you didn't care about

The real reason why I just AFK/mute whenever a story section comes up at this point. There is not a single character on the "heroes" side that I have liked in years, and only a small handful I don't actively hate. Balthazar was the character I most wanted to succeed frankly and I still maintain years later he was ultimately in the right even if he acted like a dickbag at times (rightfully so mind you considering the idiots he had to deal with).

• Like 3