I don't think I've ever felt more uninspired to play a game right after an expansion announcement than now.

23 minutes ago, Mistra.4087 said:

Can literally any other game company say the same? Rough. I eagerly await the canned PR response "we are listening™"(we really swear this time guys...guys).

It seems I finally set my expectations low enough - I don't see anything that really pushes me to preorder, but I don't feel a huge sting of disappointment either. I have to admit that much of my non-hype stems from my general disappointment with EoD and Anet's failure to address a lot of what doesn't work well from that expansion. I'm trying to keep an open mind about SotO, and visiting the Wizard's Tower is a good start (I just hope they don't mess it up).

2 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well Im happy I was correct with the 5 dollar discount on a 50% expansion every year.

Heh in a game not getting too many Ws, at least there's the satisfaction of being right.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Swagger.1459 said:

What's the complaint here? 

With a "general message" and 9 upvotes so fast , it seems he might want to "stir things up" . He might be a PvPer , like me

Spoiler

(too bad and we had an vote about which expansion is best ... and we could used that as evidence about hardcore = fond memories , all over the summer , like a gospel)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I want to buy it: To me the expansion looks good. I think the zone looks really unique. I'm excited to see how they plan on expanding the skyscale mysteries.

I'm just really gunshy after DE meta. I do not want to have to put that much effort into open world content. This game won me over with dragonfall and the raid like experience that it was to me without all the garbage-> being forced to use cookie cutter builds, being forced to party with a specific number of people you actually know. All the while being able to accomplish something and feel an epic experience at your own pace. De was the antithesis of that, I barely made peace with the pve meta builds and don't want to see them in ow. There needs to be a place in the game I can experiment and have fun without "ruining someone else's gaming because of my choices". I do not want to feel pressured to be with an online community just to do ow content. 

If I had an assurance de like content would only come back as large instanced content and it wouldn't be required for something like the legendary armor set (it can contribute but not gate, i.e. i can get the materials elsewhere), I'd buy in a heartbeat. In the meanwhile I'll wait till all 4 maps release. It looks quite good. I'll give credit where it's due. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 8
  • Confused 4

My wife and I preordered the expansion immediately. PvE legendary armor that doesn't require raids (which I told people had to be coming), checking out the castle, more weapon choices for all my characters, new masteries for the skyscale, A couple of new strikes, with challenge modes (which I likely won't do but you never know). 

It was a no brainer for us.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Mistra.4087 said:

"we are listening™"(we really swear this time guys...guys).

The expansion is doing many of the things players have been asking for over the years so that would be a true claim.

If they keep this up the next expansion will probably have player housing.

• Like 15
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I'll get the expansion even though I wasn't planning on just because I want to use a greatsword on core Necro (and maybe Harbinger).

I think you get that without the expansion mate.

Edit

Wrong info

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 3

17 minutes ago, kurogane.9681 said:

Do you still get that feature without the SotO expansion? My understanding is that you still have a weapon mastery to complete with that new expansion.

You are correct I read wrong.

Mixed it up with the free try this weekend.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I think you get that without the expansion mate.

15 minutes ago, kurogane.9681 said:

Do you still get that feature without the SotO expansion? My understanding is that you still have a weapon mastery to complete with that new expansion.

as far as I understand, you get the "weapon mastery" with the new expansion then you can use any spec weapon without having to own the proper xpac (e.g you will be able to use GS on any necro even if you don't own HoT).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Swagger.1459 said:

What's the complaint here? 

For me it's not about the expansion. It's about the whole balance patch issue which the expansion announcement tries to cover. Where they "listened to feedback" and "made adjustments based on it" - with adjustments adding up to pretty much zero changes - even though the patch is... well, highly problematic to put it mildly.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

For me it's not about the expansion. It's about the whole balance patch issue which the expansion announcement tries to cover. Where they "listened to feedback" and "made adjustments based on it" - with adjustments adding up to pretty much zero changes - even though the patch is... well, highly problematic to put it mildly.

And its only going to get worse from there. Its getting more and more chaotic over time and even devs themselves don't know what classes do anymore.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I think a lot of people in this thread are being really overly negative. A lot of these combat changes alone look really neat.

But I ALSO think that them ONCE AGAIN ignoring PvP and guilds is getting really old. Hell even if we just had an announcement that they would do something about these two at a later date, I would be perfectly assuaged, but we don't even get that. The best we got is the WvW restructuring, which I GUESS is cool and it was needed for WvW, but I definitely think sPvP and a guild overhaul should've taken precedence.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

I like it and the price point is fine for me. I'll get the standard version because the deluxe version has things I don't care about and the ultimate edition costs 50 bucks more than the standard edition...which is exactly how much 4000 gems cost.

I am saddened that in Cantha they didn't do anything with the Kurzick end of things but ok. I guess it's time to move on. I'm not a fan of more elite specs so this is good news from my pov and the weapon mastery should open up a lot of things. Also the rune thing is pretty good imo.

I think they learned a lot from what made EoD bad (eg: the pointless masteries, reward systems). I'm also glad that it came sooner rather than later. I was taking a break as it was and I didn't even care to play the latest update to the game (2nd half of Gyala). 

And I'm really happy to see that they're going to implement OW PvE legendary armor sets. Not on release but it will be part of the quarterly updates for this expansion and you can start collecting mats and doing some of the pre-requisites already on release of the expansion.

So all in all I'm quite pleased with this direction. I prefer that Anet makes their money with content rather than gem store sales (though I'm sure there will still be plenty of those). It keeps them focused on content more and hopefully that will improve the content. From what I can tell this is already the case. The proof is in the pudding of course, but I'm pretty positive from what they shared with us.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I like it and the price point is fine for me.

I think it is the most expensive expansion so far because we get half an expansion (compared to the others) for a very small discount (compared to the others).  But it is the only new content in GW2 we get.

10 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I'll get the standard version because the deluxe version has things I don't care about and the ultimate edition costs 50 bucks more than the standard edition...which is exactly how much 4000 gems cost.

The main purpose of the deluxe edition is to make the ultimate edition look better and more discounted, so that more players who would otherwise be less likely to buy gems will buy the ultimate edition.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

I think it is the most expensive expansion so far because we get half an expansion (compared to the others) for a very small discount (compared to the others).  But it is the only new content in GW2 we get.

I think the previous expansions were very cheap, so I don't mind paying 25 bucks for new content.

3 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

The main purpose of the deluxe edition is to make the ultimate edition look better and more discounted, so that more players who would otherwise be less likely to buy gems will buy the ultimate edition.

Sure, but I think it was worth mentioning that unless you really want what's in the deluxe version the ultimate version is not worth it at all.

• Like 4