The best years of Guild Wars 2 are behind us

1 hour ago, Zeivu.3615 said:

We won't know how they will work for at least another 30mins. You are assuming they are taking kitten away from us. For all we know, the runes could act neutrally and as programmed until a relic is inserted. And cry me a river about vertical progression. You are guys are so clingy to what 'power' you have that you haven't thought, maybe we can be more? Maybe our combat system can be more. Maybe we can do more by cutting a hole that can become a tunnel. They kept their promises with level cap, with our (legendary) equipment, our mastery system but you refuse to see how limited it has made the game.

Say what you will about horizontal progression but it has kept large portions of old content alive. I'm not even sure if we would have enough people to complete metas on a lot of old maps were it not for HoT/S3 raid gear, PoF/S4 mounts/skyscale, and gen2 legendary weapons as a whole. A good chunk of those things is going be heavily decentivized by SotO introducing easier paths. Absent the introduction of new "horizontal"/"legacy" grinds, these "tunnels" are going to likely have an impact on old map populations.

Same with runes and dungeons, honestly. And yeah I suspect it wouldn't be a difficult fix and maybe even very likely that the devs will make sure to keep dungeon runes/relics relevant. But we haven't heard anything so far indicating they have even thought about that problem, let alone have taken steps to preemptively fix it. So like many other sweeping changes in this game, hoping that these tunnels will lead to better design is still merely that: hope. And constantly carrying with it the threat of months of imbalance, desperate patches and kneejerk fixes, and overall the game getting grosser with underthought system overhauls and only getting half-fixed after the fact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Zeivu.3615 said:

We won't know how they will work for at least another 30mins. You are assuming they are taking kitten away from us. For all we know, the runes could act neutrally and as programmed until a relic is inserted. 

By the blog post, doesn't seem that way.

I'm glad each character gets a Relic Chest. I hope by "choice of three core relics" they mean we'll get three out of the Chest, not that we will get one Relic chosen among three options. If each character gets three relics chosen from among the 40 core, I'm content.

Currently my sixth bonus across my characters consist of 1. Poison duration, 2. Grant nearby allies prot, regen, and resistance when struck, 3. Burn duration, 4. Increase strike damage while under the effects of might, 5. Convert 3 conditions into boons after elite, 6. Grant nearby allies might, fury, swiftness, 7. 10% extra strike damage against foes below 50% health,  8. Inflict bleeding, torment, poison after using an elite, 9. Increase strike damage while health is above 90%, 10. Increase strike damage while behind, flanking, or defiant, 11. Death nova at target's location when defeated, 12. Increased strike damage against foes below 50% health, vigor on entering stealth.

Not all of those are crucial for their builds, but some are. Three choices isn't going to cover them.

2 hours ago, Zeivu.3615 said:

And cry me a river about vertical progression. You are guys are so clingy to what 'power' you have that you haven't thought, maybe we can be more? Maybe our combat system can be more. Maybe we can do more by cutting a hole that can become a tunnel. They kept their promises with level cap, with our (legendary) equipment, our mastery system but you refuse to see how limited it has made the game.

My post was implying that some vertical progression would be fine if it wasn't about taking away effects we already had and making us re-earn them. Don't know why you attached this diatribe to the rest of your response to me.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Confused 3

It seems like every MMO I've played in the past 15 to 20 years has had dire predictions about its doom shortly to come.  Hell, EQ and DAoC are still kicking, as is CoX (not officially, but they did just release a new issue.) Guild Wars 1 is still up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, garpu.6210 said:

It seems like every MMO I've played in the past 15 to 20 years has had dire predictions about its doom shortly to come.  Hell, EQ and DAoC are still kicking, as is CoX (not officially, but they did just release a new issue.) Guild Wars 1 is still up.

To be fair, the Guild Wars 1 infrastructure cost nearly nothing on AWS according to the last former dev who were in charge for it.

However, when people want their favorite MMO to live forever, they often mean new quality contents, even if they have to pay for it, no maintenance mode.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You have proof of this claim?

Just last week while playing Final Fantasy 14, couple of Guild Wars 2 ex veterans players hear a rumor that Anet might be working on revamping  Guild Wars (1) to an entire new gaming platform.

After 11 years of  failed neglect attempt to bring Guild Wars 2 to its origin...Guild Wars (1) remain Undisputed Champion to its name. 

-Thief Profession, One Shot, Death of Profession Identity and Role, Death of The Holy Trinity, Bad Design, Totalitarianism Philosophy, Toxic Stealth Mechanic...has no place in Guild Wars (1). So...Anet need to go above and beyond to keep them far away from Guild Wars (1.0) at all cost.-

side note;

We all agree that if Anet were to release Guild Wars 3; it would be sudden death sentence upon release. So...if it is true, Guild War (1) will reclaim its place as the True Guild Wars that we have been waiting for all along.

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 3
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Just wake up someday. I just don't care about everything you say, you and your pack of dogs. I have more than positive reactions here. Get that in your head and get off me, everywhere 😀 It's harassment at this point.

It is not harassment to question a claim that you appear to have made with some authority.  I merely asked you to cite the evidence of your claim.  

1 hour ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Nearly all the ressources of the studio are dedicated to the unnanounced game.

Where is your evidence to back up the statement that "nearly all the resources of the studio are dedicated to the unannounced game."   I haven't seen anything in the official channels.

If you can't manage to have a debate on a public forum without resorting to personal attacks, then maybe you shouldn't be making baseless claims.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You have proof of this claim?

Do you have eyes? 

16 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

It is not harassment to question a claim that you appear to have made with some authority.  I merely asked you to cite the evidence of your claim.  

Where is your evidence to back up the statement that "nearly all the resources of the studio are dedicated to the unannounced game."   I haven't seen anything in the official channels.

If you can't manage to have a debate on a public forum without resorting to personal attacks, then maybe you shouldn't be making baseless claims.

Do you think any company in this planet or another would say "we have moved most of development efforts to a new project"? so people dont spend money on gw2 and leave way before their new projects has arrived?

Upon all the information that has been coming up since +1 year ago. All the evidences of gw2 lack on man power, the decline in quality of releases. Those are all your arguments? if you are waiting for Anet to tell you they dont care about gw2 aside of paying the bills, you are gonna keep waiting.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Do you have eyes? 

Do you think any company in this planet or another would say "we have moved most of development efforts to a new project"? so people dont spend money on gw2 and leave way before their new projects has arrived?

Upon all the information that has been coming up since +1 year ago. All the evidences of gw2 lack on man power, the decline in quality of releases. Those are all your arguments? if you are waiting for Anet to tell you they dont care about gw2 aside of paying the bills, you are gonna keep waiting.

Of course I have eyes.  And I have yet to see incontrovertible proof of the claims that the other poster made.  Speculate all you want, that's fine, but don't come on a public forum and make factual statements with no evidence or proof.

I agree that Anet (or any company really) would probably not go public with how they allocate their resources especially if they are migrating resources to one project to the detriment of another.  You cite things as evidence when it is really no more than perception and subjectivity.  Lack of manpower?  Who are we to decide if that's true?  Anet knows how much manpower they need.  Decline in quality?  While I may very well agree with that, it is highly subjective.  None of these things are provable.

So, the point is that players ought not come to the forums with their complaints by using statements of fact without proof. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

ANerf will never assume they're working on other projects. This is nothing new, 2019 they were already working on other games and leaving GW2 to die and no one knew until NCSoft stepped in and stopped them.

2 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Of course I have eyes.  And I have yet to see incontrovertible proof of the claims that the other poster made.  Speculate all you want, that's fine, but don't come on a public forum and make factual statements with no evidence or proof.

I agree that Anet (or any company really) would probably not go public with how they allocate their resources especially if they are migrating resources to one project to the detriment of another.  You cite things as evidence when it is really no more than perception and subjectivity.  Lack of manpower?  Who are we to decide if that's true?  Anet knows how much manpower they need.  Decline in quality?  While I may very well agree with that, it is highly subjective.  None of these things are provable.

So, the point is that players ought not come to the forums with their complaints by using statements of fact without proof. 

Dude/Dudette a mini-xpac with 2 maps, rebranding of sixth rune, the cheapest "new ways of playing" they could get without spending resources to create anything new, is proof enough.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Dude/Dudette a mini-xpac with 2 maps, rebranding of sixth rune, the cheapest "new ways of playing" they could get without spending resources to create anything new, is proof enough.

No, it's anecdotal evidence, not proof.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There are no proofs? xD

- they are working on new MMORPG unnanounced project with already stablished IP.

- According to their linkedin they have hired around 75 people in the last year for that unanounced project (240-315 employees now).

- Lower quality in updates and lack on man power you can see all around EoD, Gyala Delve and most likely the new xpac. Reuse of animations, reuse enemies, reuse of assets, unpolish stuff, lack of direction, lack of innovation and direction in features. More of the same, but worst.

- No ability to work in Raids neither PvP anymore, since small team.

- According to their quarterly earning reports they are winning more money than most of the years when they used to have a bigger team (2012-2018) but instead of investing it into gw2 they are investing it into other projects or directly ncsoft pockets. Everyone that knows how game development works can see this, and can see the Cheap, yeah cheap updates we are getting, done again by a small team.

- WvW Alliances lasting forever cos they have like 2 guys multi-employeed on it, again lack of man power. And it will disappoint a lot of ppl at the end, so they are just using it as a "nostalgia" "we have something big in the way", which is not indeed.

Yes there are evidences. They have been lacking resources, man power and investment into Gw2 since end of IBS.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Only the second point you make is relevant and even then we don't know the exact make up of the teams involved in any projects.  The rest of your points are immaterial because they can be very subjective (lower quality) or business decisions (no ability to work on raids or PvP).  WvW alliances having only 2 people working on it?  You don't know that.

All of your evidence is conjecture.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

28 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Only the second point you make is relevant and even then we don't know the exact make up of the teams involved in any projects.  The rest of your points are immaterial because they can be very subjective (lower quality) or business decisions (no ability to work on raids or PvP).  WvW alliances having only 2 people working on it?  You don't know that.

All of your evidence is conjecture.

Let me give you another proof of stealing resources, 5 months ago or so arenanet was officialy looking for a Gw2 art director in their open positions. Which was weird cos Aaron Coberly (the gw2 art director from 2016-2022) is still working at arenanet. Which, or either he was layoff (which his linkedin says not) or he was moved to the art direction of their new project. For not mentioning that 90% of their new positions are for that unnanounced project.

Yeah its very subjective, a company with 300 employees that make a map full of reuse assets, invisible walls, unpolish, more of the same enemies, no meaningful innovation, collecting energy 30 min with a turtle and hitting a dark ball that has been there since Soo Won meta. Its very subjective. PvP and raids not being done cos it takes a lot of resources too. WvW has 30 ppl working on it thats why it has been 4 years in development right? just to change matchmaking and put new UI.

Much conjeture, not objective. 

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No, it's anecdotal evidence, not proof.

We do know they are working on another MMORPG. Probably not gw3 (which Izzy for some reason seems to assume they do), but they did hire a lot of devs to work on MMORPG unreal engine project for an established ip (whatever that means). That's a fact. not anectodat evidence.

Now, we don't know how many devs are working on that other project (or other projects) and not on GW2. We do know however that they now have more devs they had at the time they were working concurrently on LS3 and PoF (they had 220 devs then, according to some pre-PoF reveal), and yet they say they don't have the resources to work on both LS and expansion at the same time. Basically, we're in the late LS4/early IBS era now - and we know that at that time at least a third (if not more) of devs were working on non-gw2 projects.

Can't say they moved most of their resources off GW2, but they definitely moved a significant part of them. Sure, there's no hard proof of that, but there's enough of strong circumstantial evidence to support this conjecture. Way more to just be written off as "anecdotal".

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Sure, there's no hard proof of that, but there's enough of strong circumstantial evidence to support this conjecture.

Solid point. A large body of circumstantial evidence may not be the same as high resolution video footage of someone committing a crime while holding up their drivers license and announcing their name and social security number to an assembled crowd of nuns as witnesses...but it can be sufficient proof to act or base an informed opinion upon.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

We do know they are working on another MMORPG. Probably not gw3 (which Izzy for some reason seems to assume they do), but they did hire a lot of devs to work on MMORPG unreal engine project for an established ip (whatever that means). That's a fact. not anectodat evidence.

Now, we don't know how many devs are working on that other project (or other projects) and not on GW2. We do know however that they now have more devs they had at the time they were working concurrently on LS3 and PoF (they had 220 devs then, according to some pre-PoF reveal), and yet they say they don't have the resources to work on both LS and expansion at the same time. Basically, we're in the late LS4/early IBS era now - and we know that at that time at least a third (if not more) of devs were working on non-gw2 projects.

Can't say they moved most of their resources off GW2, but they definitely moved a significant part of them. Sure, there's no hard proof of that, but there's enough of strong circumstantial evidence to support this conjecture. Way more to just be written off as "anecdotal".

Thank you for pointing out the evidence. Yeah it can be a whole different game, but i appreciate it nontheless.

As for 220 devs on LS3 or PoF, i had no idea. But if thats true, im really surprised or dissapointed idk. They were making raids and pvp content at that time with 220 devs, and with 235-240 they couldnt make it on 2022. Surprising at the very least. If we were getting at least more pve content and with more quality, but its not even the case.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:37 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

The truth is that Gw3 is coming, cos they are making a new mmorpg under unreal engine 5, and by the description "already good stablish fantasy IP" it can only be guild wars 3 or gw1 remaster, cos its the only game they have.

Did it ever occur to you that they might be making an MMO for an established IP that belongs to someone else and they just got licensed to do it? I mean BioWare made an MMO for an established IP which is Star Wars...but it's not their IP. They just got licensed to do it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Did it ever occur to you that they might be making an MMO for an established IP that belongs to someone else and they just got licensed to do it? I mean BioWare made an MMO for an established IP which is Star Wars...but it's not their IP. They just got licensed to do it.

Ive already said in multiple posts that it could be another MMORPG non-gw related, which again will affect gw2 nontheless in favor of the new game. (tho could be more beneficial than a potential gw3)

But with the description of the new game, the 2019 fiasco of new projects and the IPs that Arenanet owns its likely to be a GW mmorpg. Thats my opinion. But that they are making a new mmorpg and that that is gonna have consecuences and already is, its a fact not anecdotal evidences. Like them looking 5 months ago for a gw2 art director while the current one, Aaron Coberly, its still in Arenanet and seems to be moving to the new project.

Daniel Dociu the old art director of GW1 and GW2 (Aaron Coberly was lead character artist at that time) came back to NCsoft west at the same time that they were recruiting for that new project. While he also attended the gw2 community event of last year in EU. I see too many connections here to not be thinking of a gw related mmorpg.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

On 7/14/2023 at 2:54 PM, Gravitron.7982 said:

Riiight?? That's all the OP was saying, the best years GW2 ever had, have already past. That doesn't mean it won't have good years, or decent years, just that the best ones are gone. 

The best years were when we were all core and the world was beautiful for all of us and we did jumping puzzles and got pissed off when as a Norn we bumped our head and the camera angle sucked and we journeyed together on foot because we had to.  Sigh.  those were the best years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Tere.4759 said:

The best years were when we were all core and the world was beautiful for all of us and we did jumping puzzles and got pissed off when as a Norn we bumped our head and the camera angle sucked and we journeyed together on foot because we had to.  Sigh.  those were the best years.

Orr temples meta trains as end game farming.

• Like 5

On 7/21/2023 at 7:12 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

NCsofts Throne and Liberty (TL) was formerly known as Lineage Eternal. Lineage is an established IP.  TL used the Guild Wars Engine but NCsoft was unhappy with the results and the game engine was changed to Unreal 4 in 2017. And in a 2022 analysts call, NCsoft responded (asked about using Guild Wars 2 know how for TL) "Yes we are strategically making use of that know-how".

So there are still working links between Anet/GW2 and TL. And at the time TL was using the Guild Wars game engine, it would have made sense for Anet, who knew the engine best, to work on that game. And if Anet is still working on TL, they would need unreal engine developers.

Maybe TL is the "another MMORPG" they're working on, or maybe there's a completely different one.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1