The best years of Guild Wars 2 are behind us

7 hours ago, Myror.7521 said:

@TheNecrosanct.4028 sry here but thats entirely untrue. At the begin of the Game PvP was the absolute Main Focus (besides PvE). It got reduced while HoT and send to death after they left esl behind ^^

Also to those who say "the Game is doomed cause see IBS and EoD". You guys might have miss a real Point Here! IBS and EoD get complete rushed! You don't get what i mean? Well letz see! Back then they announced Ice Broot Saga to be the next expansion like content for the Game. You could clearly see how the quality of the Story was (around to the middle of the Story). There announced that the Story will go deep into the History of other races as you could see in the official trailer. How ever in the middle of the IBS (and I think this is 50% NC-Softs fault) they get said that they will be able to go though an acutuall real expansion, this ends up in the rest of the IBS get rushed hard so they could Focus on EoD. However this new expansion got released after only 1 year developement  means its just also rushed too. This ends up in both expansions where pretty garbage and rushed over all. Now this new expansion is also pretty fast out but after them saying they will Bring Patches step by step im rly in hope the Quality of this expansion will be as good as the beginning of the IBS back then. At all we First might have a look at it. And then you will be able to say If its garbage or not

So the fact that they have been issuing rushed content that varies from mediocre to outright bad that is in no way up the standard of old content for over three years doesn't justify my criticisms about SotO?

I'm sorry, but at what point, after how long, after how many poor design choices, am I entitled to finally stop waiting, stop having faith in the game, and say "this is going in a bad direction and I am tired of going along with it."

SotO is very clearly going to be a miss for me, I don't need to "wait and find out" when almost every feature revealed is not what I wanted to see happen to the game. It is strike three, GW2 out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

23 hours ago, pocky.7468 said:

I realized the best years were behind us when EoD hit. That expansion just got a big old stank about it. They must worked with like a 1/3rd of the budget/resources compared to PoF and HoT or something, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

I do love how people pretend that layoffs didn't completely affect this game for the permanent future. It's like, people are still stuck in 2012-2016 when this game was at its height.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

You misunderstand the first part; People LITERALLY CANNOT exclude 'politics' from anything they create. How we see the world, and how we think, colors anything and everything we create. Hell, what you wear is colored by your personal views on how you want to look. Yet, if someone wears a rainbow lapel pin, suddenly it's 'Politics!' and 'Shoving it in our faces!'

Also; People will find 'politics' in anything they don't like. Let me give you an example:

I have a book series from the 70's that I have loved reading and re-reading my entire life; The Belgariad. Every race in that book is based off a real-life race. The Tolnedrans are akin to the Romans, down to having 'legions' and the best formation tactics in the world. The Chereks are Vikings. The nomadic Algars are like the Magyars/Poles/Scythians. Etc.

The evil Angraks have, amongst others, the Murgos, Who were based off Arabia; Conical helmets, curved sabers, broad-shoulders, swarthy skin. Why do I bring this up? Because, in this day and age, we know, for a fact, that someone would scream David Eddings is racist for making one of the evil races based off Arabic culture. Even though all he was doing was drawing from real life to make fantasy cultures. (That, and the sequel series showed more of the Eastern Kingdoms and how not all the Angaraks were evil.)

Simply put; When people scream 'No politics', they are, 99.99% of the time, screaming about something they disagree with. Because they don't notice politics they agree with, or they insist something non-political is 'clearly pushing an agenda' because they are unhappy.

If everything is political why in 18 years has nobody complained about GW1 being too political?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Akisohida.8963 said:

Because GW1 is from a time before people screamed 'politics!' at anything they don't like.

And? It's still around. Even gets new players regularly. Where are the complaints?

Maybe GW2 has a problem GW1 doesn't and you simply don't want to admit it. You're being oddly dismissive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

It occurs to me that the best years of Guild Wars 2 are most definitely NOT behind ME. Why not? Because ! I'm still waiting for a (brace for impact) PROPER Guild Wars 2. One that takes, ya know, everything I love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it in a persistent world. And so on and so forth.

Whee!

(I especially like how the village staying rescued is so immaculately represented by the repeatable hearts in Elona.)

Oh boy, you had to drag this old thing out of oblivion...I do appreciate the sarcasm but this manifesto thing still hurts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Tell that to the people who constantly need to inject "GW2 is too political" into every critical conservation as if it is anything but euphemistic bigotry and smallmindedness. They posted for public comment; here I am commenting publicly.

They're not wrong, though. Well, not about the private messaging, but about this discussion not belonging here. Someone has to start not contributing to it anymore, so here goes.

For me it's simple. I've played this game (almost uninterruptedly) since launch. It has helped me get through some difficult times in my life, most notably the death of my parents in quick succession and the death of my husband last year. I've met nice people in this game with whom I've spent enjoyable time playing, even if few of them even still play the game. While I haven't always agreed with changes ANet implemented, by and large I still enjoy playing the game. I've invested time and money into it because for me that was worth it. When EoD came out last year I spent much of my time in those maps, as I always do with new content. But I find myself rarely coming back to it. Out of the 4 maps I only really like 1 (Echovald), Seitung is okay, Dragon's End is a meta map like Dragon's Stand and the less said about New Kaineng the better. It was the only disappointing expansion so far. I know ANet is giving the game renewed focus since a few years and that always means change. I can get over one disappointing expansion, so they got the benefit of the doubt from me when I pre-purchased Secrets of the Obscure. Some people want to wait and see how it turns out, wait for feedback, etc. But for me the only way to decide whether I like it and it's worth it, is to play it myself, not through someone else's experience. Should this expansion also turn out to be a disappointment it's unlikely I'll buy an eventual next expansion, though.

• Like 5

I, too, believe the best years of the GW2 are behind us, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy what we have now, and look forward to what is to come. I've just accepted it's not going to captivate me as much as the core content did. Also, I'm certain my opinion of core Tyria was greatly enhanced by me experiencing it as a brand new player, fresh off the experience of being disillusioned with my previous MMO.

There are certain things GW2 just does so well. Few other games (if any at all) do all aspects of movement as well as GW2 does. I try out other games on a pretty regular basis, but the movement in those games invariably feels inferior in some regard to GW2. Also I haven't seen another game that merges tab-target and action combat quite as successfully as GW2 does.

Finally, I still believe that GW2 is hands down the best dollar-for-dollar MMO experience available. Again, Anet's track record isn't perfect (coughcoughbuildtemplates), but I think they largely got it right in terms of not nickel-and-diming players.

These sorts of things are what I can still continue to appreciate about the game, even if I'm not thrilled about the most recent direction the art and writing seem to have taken. So yes, we might be on a downhill path, but that doesn't mean we're tumbling headlong into a death pit.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It's a good thing I'm ignorant and don't pay attention to most things so I don't spend too much time getting offended the alleged message of this game, if any.

It's not like I'm not for a pointless overanalysis of fictional work every now and then but imagine being so afraid of ideas that you think they'll overwrite your own. The human mind likes to see patterns that don't exist 654754dgre42. Perhaps give people the benefit of the doubt?

Like a ton of works out there have some kind of social or political commentary because that's just how people work. You cannot write a fictional world without projecting some degree of what you think about how a world should work and  run. Should blame the ancient Greeks for pushing their agenda on later civilizations I guess.

There's plenty of horrible hamfisted takes out there because most writing is mediocre. That's not something to get mad about; that's just meme material.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Fact is while other comparable MMOs improved gameplaywise, contentwise and playerbasewise GW2 is stagnating at best. The numbers on steam are disappointing and additional content becomes less and less. It was always on the low end compared to other MMOs but now meh. I myself haven't played since the first pat of Gyala Hatchery dropped. Disappointed by another boring meta map and now the whole rest of the Cantha content is done. WTF. Just show us some cool parts. GW1 Cantha had like 20 maps (yeah I know, much smaller, but at least there were topics and different sceneries). Anyway, maybe I buy the new mini expac but won't delve too much into it. I really got bored.

Edited by ProtoGunner.4953
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

It occurs to me that the best years of Guild Wars 2 are most definitely NOT behind ME. Why not? Because ! I'm still waiting for a (brace for impact) PROPER Guild Wars 2. One that takes, ya know, everything I love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it in a persistent world. And so on and so forth.

Whee!

(I especially like how the village staying rescued is so immaculately represented by the repeatable hearts in Elona.)

That haunted them forever that thing 🤣

"We just don't want players to grind in GW2" 😏

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Useless Doomposting....

I have been playing since Beta...I mean the actual Beta and I'm still excited to log on I still see new things and have new experiences and you don't get that from any other MMO...and I'm accepted by the community really accepted that just isn't happening with any other MMO.

I'm also crazy excited about the new expansion...I played two other MMO's the expansions didn't excite me in the least. 

It seems to me that the problem is a you thing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

52 minutes ago, Greyraven.4258 said:

I have been playing since Beta...I mean the actual Beta and I'm still excited to log on I still see new things and have new experiences and you don't get that from any other MMO...and I'm accepted by the community really accepted that just isn't happening with any other MMO.

Yeah and I have been playing at Guild Wars 2 since 2010 (Gamescom and other occasions). It's not because some people don't have the same opinion as yours that you can suggest that they have a mental illness or something else. Maybe that lack of nuance is the answer about the fact that you were not accepted in every other MMO. You see, I can suggest things too but this will get us nowhere.

Edited by Anvar.5673
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Anvar.5673 said:

Yeah and I have been playing at Guild Wars 2 since 2010 (Gamescom and other occasions). It's not because some people don't have the same opinion as yours that you can suggest that they have a mental illness or something else. Maybe that lack of nuance is the answer about the fact that you were not accepted in every other MMO. You see, I can suggest things too but this will get us nowhere.

How did you do that? Guild wars 2 came out in 2012! How did you play it 2 years prior to the release?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

On 7/3/2023 at 12:29 PM, Anvar.5673 said:

With all my respect, so much naivety at it's finest.

As always, I only believe in what I see and all of my arguments are always valid. What we learned about ArenaNet since the launch of Guild Wars 2 is that they never learn.

I would love to be more optimist, really, but since the fiascos of the Icebrood Saga and Primordius (they did dirty with him), as a player of Guild Wars 1 and a follower of the studio since the begining, I tend to be more realistic.

What you think only belong to you and don't really have importance in regards of the multiples facts I bringed here, and the state of the PvP is surely the biggest shame of the Guild Wars license that I can speak about here alongside many other ones.

My friend, if it wasn't already obvious by the plethora of replies you've gotten (on the Anet forums no less, which is usually full of GW2 bashers), the majority of your assumptions are unfounded.

Does the game have issues? Yes. Obviously. We all preach about them on a regular basis, because there is no such thing as a perfect game. We all want changes for the better, sometimes we get them and sometimes we don't.

However, does that mean that this game is going in the dumpster because you have listed a bunch of grievances that *you* as a specific player have with it?

No. That's not how this works. The game isn't "dying" just because it's falling out of your favor. It has a consistently growing population, and it utterly baffles me how people like you can come out and say things like "Anet isn't invested in this game anymore" literal DAYS after an announcement that we are getting an expansion with pages upon pages of features in less than two months.

You can have your opinion on how the game is going, but everyone has seen enough of this nonsensical doomposting. People like you have been doing it for literally the past 8 years, and surprise! Game still isn't dead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

31 minutes ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

OH! so that is what he meant with Gamescom and other occasions...i must have left my brain in the dishwasher today XD thanks for pointing it out!

Sorry about being abrupt. I was going to explain the Gamescom bit but got called away for a minute so just posted part way through. Yeah, there were demos of the game in advance of even the betas, but not necessarily all encompassing of what we got at launch of course.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

This game has been dieing for 10 years and 10 months.  Someone pull the plug please.

3 years is the number; unless...Anet does a 'house cleanup' and change their Philosophy.

-The Community has done its part...done our part...in letting Anet know everything that is wrong with the state of the game. How Anet Direction, Philosophy, Mission; how their practice and tactic of Favoritism, Bias...are Destructive for the health of the game including the well-being of its players experiences-

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

On 7/4/2023 at 5:13 AM, Aedil.1296 said:

To be honest GW2 is probably the only surviving MMO NCSoft has in the west. 

They make money mostly with mobile games nowadays, GW is a very little piece of the revenue cake so they won't invest huge money in it. Still I think Anet is managing to do kind of a good job releasing new content to the game despite the low budget. Obviously they are not so good in making classes and balance, which I don't really understand why as gw1 had hundreds of different skills for EACH class, and still PvP and balance was so much better. 

NCSoft is really trying to make new mmos but kind of failing at it (see the throne and liberty disaster) so I believe they will just focus on mobile games for the future. 

Anet is the only studio that produced a unique and long lasting mmo owned by ncsoft, but I feel like they are keeping it open to do us a favour more than for the revenue. 

I believe as far as gw makes that little revenue enough to pay staff and stay in the positive it will keep going, but as soon as it goes in loss it might get shutdown. 

Dunno i really hope I'm wrong i love gw since 2007 and it's very dear to my heart. 

This is why im a firm believer a western game should never sellout to an eastern company. They dont care about the game only the revenue stream, and most westerners dont care for the eastern game type. So it wouldnt surprise me NCsoft shuts it down, its the only ncsoft game i will touch, not a fan of that company. Better to seriously remain a small indie game company with a loyal following, than sell to some eastern conglomerate that holds your future in its hands!  

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2