Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

11 hours ago, Sjentra.3409 said:

So my initial thought  looks to be correct. They are probably planning on using relics as bait to lure open worlders to try strikes and raids (the same thing they tried with the turtle mount and strikes).

As for the cost to craft the legendary relic; it will probably be atleast 250 mystic coins along with 77 clovers just like rings.

Absolutely nothing can convince me to go into strikes and raids, except for making a 5 player party mode for it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Also, a 5 relic choice box doesn't help cover my 9+ characters with their 2+ equipment templates.

The most recent update, that I have seen at least, seems to indicate that the relic box will be per character.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Compensation = great.

Compensation well and truly after the fact (up to 16mths away) = hardly compensation.

So, in the time it takes you to develop and then release this legendary relic (which, I think most are thinking is a rather large afterthought after the angry and frustrated comments on the announcement post), we have to grind and buy and craft and whatever else all these relics to be able to play around with all the new things and then resell them in 5-16mths at an almost guaranteed reduced cost due to increased supply/access that far down the line (that is, if they're not account bound anyways), despite having already grinded and dropped gold into our legendary runes? Nice. Good job.

I'm happy with the choice of compensation and I think it works being calculated off how many runes as long as it's fairly substantial (which you've not really given insight into) - although perhaps there's a large disparity between the number of people who own six and those who own seven that should be accounted for (not sure!) - but the timeline just doesn't work in any way shape or form. For five months minimum, which is a substantial amount of time, we have no choice but to acquire these of our own volition only to have to fork out for/grind yet another legendary. 

Again, I'm personally not that worried about the cost of another legy that's somewhat compensated for, but if I compare this to finally finishing my legy runes and replacing all my character's exotic with legendary? There were a lot of Durability Runes I did not get a single thing back from and had to keep buying because of a time gate I had most of the control over. This, I have none.

Anyways, all that to say, I think you have some more considerations to make here before release. You're on an okay track in my opinion, but I don't believe it's nearly enough.

Edited by amberrosalie.5381
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I do agree with other posters regarding one thing. Please make the legendary relic free for all players who've crafted all legendary runes, and then offer significant progress towards it for those who crafted one or more legendary runes below max based on how many runes they've crafted. People who crafted all legendary runes should be granted the legendary relic immediately once it's out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

The blog post has be sneakily changed, it doesn't say 7 anymore. Tells you how much they guy who writes the blogpost knows about the game, when I started crafting the legendary runes, everyone's advise was "there is no need for the 7th"

"In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year."

It's still there.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Well, all I want is a finished product on release day. All features and stuffs that were mentioned on this mini expansion announcement should be available on release day and be able to enjoy what's already paid. Not wait for a possible 4th quarter of 2024 to be delivered.

Edited by kurogane.9681
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The only further progress i should have to make in order to have a legendary relic after already owning 7 legendary runes is the act of looting it from my mail and equipping the item into the relic equipment slot on day 1 of soto release.

Anything less is a nothing short of a disgraceful way to treat your players.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, TheRunningSquire.3621 said:

Why should people who spent the time doing it, feel like they should get the legendary relic for free, when it's separate, while i do agree you should get a large amount of progress towards the legendary relics for the time you put in making the runes, i believe you still need to do some work, since they are separate and anet agrees.

What a short-sighted way of seeing things. So at this point, a legendary item is a craft once, use forever, across all your characters item. You invest a lot and you get a lot out of it. If you only have a couple of builds (which must be the norm) its ENORMOUSLY cheaper to just craft ascended gear and buy runes and sigils.

Then, some undercooked pack of features drop (called an expansion even if it doesnt do anything compared to the actual expansions, in fact it follows eod which released in an undercooked sorry state too, but at least it deserved the name "expansion"). It actually wrecks legendary items customizability, with the promise of, IN ONE YEAR we will have to work to get it back. And we PAY for this.

You do understand that its easier for someone like me (thousands of hours invested to get legendary in every slot) to just drop the game and do something different with my time? Why should I grind MORE legendaries if they will kitten with the value of investing in legendaries? If I wanted the gear threadmill I'll go play WoW or PoE - both are better games if you disregard the threadmill...

And this is not done when the game is in a great state otherwise. Wvw - boring slow bunker fights at every scale, I dropped playing it. Spvp - wrecked by bad balance for years now, no perspective of balance getting better, no statement from the studio of wanting to improve it, I play 1 game a day to get the dailies. Instanced pve - one new (boring) fractal for what, 1 year now? Maybe 1-2 strike CM modes that should have released with eod, but it was so undercooked, players had to wait months for them? Open world pve - 1 new map since eod dropped, not even that interesting.

Making more legendaries was the only thing in game worth my time and now they are kittening with that too. The legendary armory was the one good change they added to the game since I started playing, studio shows no intent of respecting players time w.r.t. to the leggy armory. No respect w.r.t. to anything ingame tbh, whole game now revolves around some boring, inane idea that more builds must provide perma quickness and alac, self-made problems if I've ever seen such.

Changing leggy runes and so invalidating my grind is literally the last straw for me, I'm done.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

"In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. "

This sentence is extremely concerning. I am one of those people who crafted 6 legendary runes, because let's face it, no one gives a kitten about underwater combat. The grind was painfully boring and soulless. I've gone through it just to be able to stat swap at any time. Now I am told that I will have to do even more painful soulless grind just to restore the functionality I already got.

I am simply stopping playing the game altogether and won't buy SotO until the Legendary Relics are in and are the adequate compensation for players with 6+ legendary runes.

Edited by SpaceMarine.1836
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Tulki.1458 said:

Why can't you be specific about what the compensation is? And why isn't the compensation simply "here's a free legendary relic for having six runes"? You should know what the compensation is. Your team is being opaque with this and it's starting to seem like they're doing it for a reason.

You can't be specific about something you don't have any info. Anet for sure thought about Legendary Relics, but they wanted to implement them in a far future. Why? Because probably some common relics or the mats needed to craft them will be acquired by doing events. If you bound it to a World Boss, let's say Tequatl, it's okay because a lot of people do daily Tq and everyone can get those relics/mats. But some of those events won't be Tq but a random event in northern Dry Top that only the first days people will do and then new players will have it hard to get. If you give for free the relics in compensation (common or legendary), you still have that problem. And it's not that easy to just take that feature out of the game, it would take time for devs and a lot of time for QA to test that things are more or less stable since that may cause game breaking bugs or server crash issues. 

Anet did their fav thing to do and didn't expect players to be mad about it, but we are, so now they have to start thinking of something they didn't want in the game so early. Big features are planned with time so I guess it was a concept idea until the backlash. Now dev leads and managers have to start thinking about how they want us to unlock legendary relics whether it's just crafting, achievements, game modes like fractals or strikes, SotO story, a mix of everything said before... Also, what new currencies and mats will be added, the price/cost (if it's something account bound or something you will be able to trade in the market). As it seems there will be crafting involved, how many stages of crafting there will be (3 stages like crafting precursors, 4 stages like crafting legendary backpack, just get the mats and throw them to the mystic toilet like runes/sigils, ...). And to that, you have to add the "compensation" thing, because Anet won't give us for free what they took (it's not their style, and like I said before, probably they want to space things in order to give players the chance to obtain relics while everyone is on it). So not knowing the steps you'll take to craft leggy relics makes them not having any answer about what "significant progress" means. Also, development changes while developing so Anet saying now "I'll give you THIS" and on legendary relic release we see they will give a whole diferent thing will throw even more backlash.

"Then just give us the legendary relic on release for free if we have 6-7 runes" --> Then you have three issues to deal with:

• You can't do a lot of achievements related to this since it seems you will be able to craft only one legendary relic and Anet isn't going to give for free 125 AP from 4 achievement collections that imply grinding specific things (like the Legendary Raid Armour).
  • Once again, players without legendary runes will have it harder because there will be events without people (how many times you see on LFG people trying for hours to gather a party in order to do specific fractals for the legendary backpiece).
  • There will be players who get the legendary relic for free (for having 6-7 leggy runes) that will try to make money out of players in the market, so now you have to reconsider again the building path in order to not bomb the market.

So now, considering everything said before, let's move to the "compensation".  I would say something like:

• 1 rune --> Some materials to craft the Precursor Relic Stage 1 (PRs1)
  • 2 runes --> Mats to almost craft PRs1
  • 3 runes --> Mats to almost craft PRs1 + mats for PRs2
  • 4 runes --> Mats to almost craft PRs1 and PRs2
  • 5 runes --> Mats to almost craft PRs1 and PRs2 + mats for PRs3
  • 6 runes --> Mats to almost craft PRs1, PRs2 and PRs3
  • 7 runes --> Mats to almost craft PRs1, PRs2 and PRs3 + mats for the Legendary Relic (let's say a new "mystic clove" used to crafting a Gift of Reliquary)

This way you still have achievements to do, events to complete, story to play, game modes to grind and all those mats are account bound to avoid market speculation. This won't make players happy, but having way less things to do in order to get that legendary in a week instead of a month or two (please don't put timegates on this) it's a "significant progress".

It was too naive for me thinking that in two weeks Anet would gave a solid answer about the compensation thing, but I really expected something better than "significant progress".

PS: Since there's just one month left, anything done on SotO release is most likely off the table. It's time for polishing and bug fixing, not time for feature developement, which would involve crunching, which I'd like very much not to happen. But wouldn't be crazy to have a workaround (like the NPC workaround said several posts earlier) 2 months after SotO release while waiting for Legendary Relic release.

Edited by DarkShadow.7104
Typo + PS
  • Like 3
  • Confused 4

lol guys, after reading through few pages, I get it why are you upset about this change and you have to wait to get your QoL back, but i don't get it why so many of you assume it will take more than 9 months, they said they will realease lege relic in 2024, yes, but we also know there will be only 3 quarterly updates to SotO

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Nuldric.1239 said:

lol guys, after reading through few pages, I get it why are you upset about this change and you have to wait to get your QoL back, but i don't get it why so many of you assume it will take more than 9 months, they said they will realease lege relic in 2024, yes, but we also know there will be only 3 quarterly updates to SotO

Them not saying exactly in which quarterly update the legendary relic will be implemented is proof that they don't know in advance, so yeah it could be the first if nothing goes wrong, but we've just seen with this blog post that they can delay the release, so better be pessimistic.

It still depress me that the day OF LAUNCH of the expansion, all my characters will get nerf just by updating the game, and so until I have all relics i used to have the bonus with my runes. And wait who know how long to regain the QoL I've already grind/payed for.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Nuldric.1239 said:

Gen 2 legendary weapons were supposed to be a Heart of Thorns feature but ended up being mostly released through LS3 and even LS4 after Path of Fire came out (after they dropped the related collections that the first few had).

This Relic is a lot simpler, of course, but if any feature slips due to time pressures it'll probably be this one.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

We have almost 4x pages in the forum talking about how the relic system, as it is,  is a terrible idea:

- a disrespect of legendary runes holders

- a ... "steal and sell it back" as a feature ... new item

- at most we will get a +2xx stats depending on rune choice.

Quite few people are defending it tho and would like to hear convincing arguments about it? other than the "I want something to skin in my cash".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Do you guys know when a new expansion for MMOs come out and people have to go grind again for bis gear?

What is the name for it? Hmm lemme think, what is it...

Ah gear threadmill, that is it.

There we have it, Soto is adding gear threadmill for GW2, Anet flavour.

Edited by Swoo.5079
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Bookah pls.9352 said:

The only further progress i should have to make in order to have a legendary relic after already owning 7 legendary runes is the act of looting it from my mail and equipping the item into the relic equipment slot on day 1 of soto release.

Anything less is a nothing short of a disgraceful way to treat your players.

It depends.

I mean, I have all 7 legendary runes, if the only thing left to get the relic is cheering at Miyani, I'll be fine with that.

If "significant progress" means I will still need more gold/mats/achievements/whatever else, I won't be fine with it at all.

I'm still holding off my xpac purchase until we know all the details.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

:classic_laugh:

This is not the firs time Anet has done something like this. By that I mean taking away a thing already in the game and then selling it with the next expansion.

I will never forget when they took away the Core Thief's ability to have a 3rd dodge and then seeing it on the Daredevil. 

Nice. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Same here, i always purchased ultimate editions of gw2 expacs, but seeing this im considering not even buying a basic one. Why would i invest more time/money into a game that can simply take my effort away and make me regrind/rebuy it again. I dont get anets stance on this issue its not like its hard to code 1 legendary item with no animations and give it to the guys that have 6-7 lege runes on day one of Soto release. Its not like they loose any money with it. People who wanted to grind for new relics can grind same as people who didnt had lege armor during EOD could grind for new stat combos. 

I dont want to be that guy, but to me it feels like this expansion is rushed and unpolished if such a basic problem wasnt identified in the production process. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, borgs.6103 said:

This is not the firs time Anet has done something like this. By that I mean taking away a thing already in the game and then selling it with the next expansion.

I will never forget when they took away the Core Thief's ability to have a 3rd dodge and then seeing it on the Daredevil. 

Nice. 

They did it to my Guild as well, I used to have a lot more options, Anet took those away and now you must GRIND to get them back and I won't and I have not.  Feel sorry for those especially those who are not getting the expansion and still have their legendaries screwed up.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

They could give a legendary core relic now, but they wouldn't give a legendary obscure relic without playing through their collections, as there would be no point in them.

It should be only one legendary relic. Because it could (and should) be done in the same way as it is already the case with legendary gear (weapons, armor,...) if new gear stat combinations are added during an expansion.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, borgs.6103 said:

Nice. 

Well, they did this to the skyscale, when people invested their gold and time and now they resseling it with no effort required, maybe same kitten with lege armors depending what it will take to get it from ow

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

The blog post has be sneakily changed, it doesn't say 7 anymore. Tells you how much they guy who writes the blogpost knows about the game, when I started crafting the legendary runes, everyone's advise was "there is no need for the 7th"

It's still in there: "In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. "