Post Aug 22 what will the popular runes be?

Will there be any runes that still have much value after relics are introduced?  At first glance it seems like runes are likely to be pretty cheap unless they make them expensive to craft, in which case what runes would justify being expensive?

P.S. what happens to runes that we have in the bank come August 22nd?  Do they get replaced with a no-bonus version?  I assume they don't just disappear?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, blp.3489 said:

Will there be any runes that still have much value after relics are introduced?  At first glance it seems like runes are likely to be pretty cheap unless they make them expensive to craft, in which case what runes would justify being expensive?

P.S. what happens to runes that we have in the bank come August 22nd?  Do they get replaced with a no-bonus version?  I assume they don't just disappear?

"With the first release on August 22, the sixth tier of each rune set will instead complete the stat bonuses associated with that rune set, and the additional special effects or conditional bonuses will be removed entirely." 

From that blog, it seems that any runes that you have anywhere, whether on characters or banked, immediately transform into the new version, with the original 6th. bonus being redirected to the new relic system released in a future update.  Your assumption is right, they don't just disappear. 

Not tech savvy, or even game smart for that matter, but sure looks like a lot of work to me, for I'm not sure how much gain. Hopefully, it all pans out well for all concerned. 

• Like 3

Probably none of them. Unless they rework them and how they're acquired to deliberately up the prices, they're generic.

I'm sitting on about 60 sets of runes which took varying degrees of gold or grind. I expect all of that to be wasted. Lost in the legendary rune discussion is that if you have multiple characters and builds without legendary runes, you're just as screwed. Once the sixth component comes off and they balance numbers, all of the runes are equally generic and you're looking at doing and spending to acquire relics to get back to where you were. I expect the free selection box to have only the most meaningless and trivial of the six rune bonuses. 

It would have been better if they had just planned to replace your six rune set with the equivalent stat-only runes and the relic equivalent to the six rune bonus.

Edited by Thelgar.7214
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Thelgar.7214 said:

Probably none of them. Unless they rework them and how they're acquired to deliberately up the prices, they're generic.

I'm sitting on about 60 sets of runes which took varying degrees of gold or grind. I expect all of that to be wasted. Lost in the legendary rune discussion is that if you have multiple characters and builds without legendary runes, you're just as screwed. Once the sixth component comes off and they balance numbers, all of the runes are equally generic and you're looking at doing and spending to acquire relics to get back to where you were. I expect the free selection box to have only the most meaningless and trivial of the six rune bonuses. 

It would have been better if they had just planned to replace your six rune set with the equivalent stat-only runes and the relic equivalent to the six rune bonus.

You can chose bettwen all the 40 core relics in the choice box mate.

• Like 2

Trapper will probably be the new meta for multi-condi builds. It's the only rune that provides just flat condi damage and condi duration on the 1-5 bonuses, so if it's completed with one of those on the 6th, it will probably replace nightmare runes on all the builds that use them now.

• Like 4

On 7/22/2023 at 3:22 AM, blp.3489 said:

Rubi has confirmed that all of the existing runes will stay. Some will be somewhat adjusted to make sure that they aren't exactly the same as others and to remove non-stat items but all of them will stay in name. And they will keep their progressive stats also so that it will be worth investing into a set of runes. So yeah, a no-bonus version as you say.

But people are forgetting one thing: you still need to equip runes. So there will still be a demand for runes as before. What will change (to some degree) is which runes will be the more popular ones. Some will still be popular as they are now and some will lose their popularity in favor of others.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 2:22 AM, blp.3489 said:

the rune most likely wont just be deleted, but they're will change to the new versions in exactly the same way that older runes have changed with updates(e.g Runes of Tormenting)

• Sad 1

While the runes themselves will stay minus the 6 piece special effect, they haven't said whether the current stats will stay exactly the same as far as I can recall.

It's possible that they may also do a balance pass and adjust the stats to some degree to make them more unique.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:29 AM, Thelgar.7214 said:

Was basically the point of the post I made almost 2 weeks ago. It's a big deal for legendary rune owners because those cost like 2400 to 2800 depending if you made 6 or 7, but honestly it's going to affect everyone with normal runes too. Everyone loses.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It will mostly depends on the new 6th bonus, but we can do a few hypothesis

For power build, scholar will probably still be the meta one, but may be  challenged by the ogre or deadeye one, maybe even the dragonhunter one. For the one lacking precision, eagle and ranger may be the new ones. 

For condition build, specialize build probably won't change as there isn't multiple specialized rune.  Multi conditions may changed for trapper. 

For healer, on top of monk, we may see the arrival of rebirth, altruism and water. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 6:31 AM, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

Thief runes will be worthless for Power builds, since they'll no longer have their +10% Flanking effect. Power builds that need extra precision to cap crit will likely switch to Eagle, and ones that don't will probably keep using Scholar.

But you will be able to combine scholar runes with a thief relic, which will probably make for a good temporary setup until better variants are discovered and popularized. 

On 7/21/2023 at 9:22 PM, blp.3489 said:

P.S. what happens to runes that we have in the bank come August 22nd?  Do they get replaced with a no-bonus version?  

That's what it sounds like, all runes you have acquired remain but they all lose their sixth place bonus. Hoping that's wrong but based on the blogs, that sound like what happens. So if you have 600 runes in your bank, considering 6 piece sets, you lose 100 sixth piece traits and to compensate you get 1 back for every toon that is 60+. So to balance the lose of the 100 you need 100 toons, which the max is 69. Increase the numbers up from there considering 600 may seem low already and it gets worse. Add to that people with Leggo runes and Leggo gear that didn't lose runes when swapping already and, it makes it worse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

That's what it sounds like, all runes you have acquired remain but they all lose their sixth place bonus. Hoping that's wrong but based on the blogs, that sound like what happens. So if you have 600 runes in your bank, considering 6 piece sets, you lose 100 sixth piece traits and to compensate you get 1 back for every toon that is 60+. So to balance the lose of the 100 you need 100 toons, which the max is 69. Increase the numbers up from there considering 600 may seem low already and it gets worse. Add to that people with Leggo runes and Leggo gear that didn't lose runes when swapping already and, it makes it worse.

Runes are 100% losing their 6th piece across the board, of course it will affect the old runes too because otherwise people would stack old runes + relics. So yes you lose the 6 piece but get varying stat bonuses to replace it. You also get 3 relics per toon level 60 or above, not 1. In general 3 relics per class should roughly cover your most used specs while you craft whatever you need to to finish it off.

Where your math gets weird is that the bigger problem isn't the number of characters you have, but the number of spec slots per character you have, since it'll treat a character with the base 2 equipment slots the same as someone with 8 equipment slots. If you have 100 rune sets across 50 characters but they all only have the 2 equipment / build loadouts, it isn't as big an impact as say someone having 100 rune sets across 25 characters who bought multiple equipment / build loadouts.

In this specific case I think Legendary Runes aren't the feature talking point, everything about that has been pretty significantly covered in the main thread and doesn't have much to do with which runes will become more popular.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

It's hard to tell what will be useful because we have so little information on what they consider to be replaceable stats. What I'd like to see is stats that are basically comparable with changing up food items or infusions. As an example:

Rune of the Scholar: Ferocity

Rune of the Deadeye: Precision

Precision and ferocity are fairly interchangable depending on class and build, and can easily be supplemented with food buffs or infusions. Maybe your class needs just a bit more precision for cap and this allows for more power infusions instead of precision infusions.

There are runes that seemingly have multiple 6 piece bonuses already that might drop in value if they axe one of the bonuses, such as:

Rune of divinity (arguably 10% health AND bonus stats could be 2 separate bonuses)

Rune of the traveler (condi damage and movement speed which the devs said would be a 6 piece to replace some runes)

Rune of thorns (condi damage and poison duration)

Rune of balthazar (condi duration and max health)

I get the feeling the first week of relics rolling out are going to see some pretty fluctuated runes costs, until then we have no idea what to expect for meta runes. I don't think Nightmare (or specific condi runes) are going to change, I don't think Scholar will be upended easily either. Support runes might change a bit, depends what happens to Monk. If 10% outgoing healing effectiveness stays, does it compare to 125 healing power? It's something that would need testing, maybe it will be replaced by water or altruism / rebirth.

It feels to me support and Condi are going to have a lot better options, most of their 6 piece bonuses were pretty lame to begin with, so relics will probably see them do more. (If they detach the 10% more health from balthazar though I suspect we will have a lot more squish firebrands).

Edited by Acheron.1580
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1