Will Skiffs have a bigger role in SotO?

That's how you know EoD masteries were kind of a flop. When SotO decides to build entire maps and masteries out of HoT/PoF mechanics (leylines and skyscale), and avoids skiffs/jadebots.

I think we were one mastery away from EoD coalescing into a cohesive identity (which was loosely "technology" but didn't introduce any major new movement paradigm). A jade-tech super suit. One that gave the player a little double jump/hover ala Journey and an attack kit. But also functioned as a scuba suit underwater with an additional attack kit and slot skills that worked for all classes. Imagine maps that were designed to go out on your skiff, then dive overboard in your scuba-mech suit. Ones with underwater bombable walls like the turtle niche of beetle walls.

Totally missed opportunity. ANet, when you inevitably do your "Return to Cantha" mini-expac, add that to the Cantha masteries. And retroactively make Cantha the fully explorable "water" region it should have always been. Then maybe I'll go back and buy SotO. Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Lol why skimmer? 

Before I got my skyscale I used my skimmer as a psuedo-glider all the time. Tapping the spacebar, you can get quite a bit of distance out of it. It was sometimes the easiest way (for me) to get to ledges that were out of reach for the bunny. Elon Riverlands and Vabbi come to mind. 

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 4

On 7/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

I was wondering, will the Skiff have a bigger role in SoTO. Its in the new background for the expansion, was wondering if it will have more use other than fishing

New mastery will turn them into airships so that players can go cloud fishing

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2023 at 1:10 AM, Gop.8713 said:

Well the blog did mention new fish, so there won't be ignored, but yeah I don't see how they fit into the aerial theme . . .

The trailer has the Tower disappearing from alternate areas while taking large amounts of water with it, so, that would at least handwave fish being there.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ProfileName.9281 said:

While I agree Skiffs arnt all they great, why do you want them deleted? Do they ruin some part of the game?

For me, yes. Two fronts really, first their existence is basic cynisim. They exist to sell skins. Nothing more. Every excuse for them has been horribly contrived and racing clearly wasn't part of the agenda because it's only just arrived. They're chairs v2.

Second, they're forced in to the EoD story so awkwardly and every step they're involved with is a painful slog exacerbated by bad, ceasless dialogue. The story is enough of a chore to play through on it's own without crowbarring in the boat segments and these same sections could have been completed faster and with less tedium, by just letting us use the skimmers. Heck, they could delete the boat sections of the story and it would have basically zero impact on the story. Even as an introduction to khunavang it fails. This could also have been put elsewhere, to better use and in a less tedious way.

Frankly, we already have a way to travel on water which is less cumbersome, more fun, quicker overall and less awkward to use. A superior version of the boat exists in the game and has done for years, so why force us to use the downgrade?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, wolfyrik.2017 said:

Second, they're forced in to the EoD story so awkwardly and every step they're involved with is a painful slog exacerbated by bad, ceasless dialogue. The story is enough of a chore to play through on it's own.

GW2 is a story centric MMO. Almost every release comes with a solid chunk of story in both living world episodes and expansions. If the Story is a chore to play, why are you playing this game?

As for the "skiffs are used to sell skins" meh, game has no sub fee, I'll happily just ignore the gem shop skins to not pay a sub fee.

As for "skimmer better". Can you stand on it and fish?

I like reaching hard to get to fishing holes with the boat, its fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

10 hours ago, ProfileName.9281 said:

GW2 is a story centric MMO. Almost every release comes with a solid chunk of story in both living world episodes and expansions. If the Story is a chore to play, why are you playing this game?

I like the rest of the story in the rest of the game just fine, it's just done very poorly in EoD. I've replayed the entire story on multiple character, multiple times. Only EoD is such hard work. I even specify EoD in the quote you chose. If you're not going to bother reading properly, why reply?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/23/2023 at 4:06 PM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

I was wondering, will the Skiff have a bigger role in SoTO. Its in the new background for the expansion, was wondering if it will have more use other than fishing

They can always have some body of water on one of these floating islands in the sky, like a pond or something. One of the pictures it sort of looks like a waterfall coming over the side of a floating island but I also have no idea. I probably shouldn't get your hopes up.

• Confused 1

Don't think so, to be fair. The skiff having space for 5 players, but depending on one, seem to be something anet dislike doing, and that itself seems to limit/kill the skiff. It's also unable to compete against the mounts, as the Skimmer can even go underwater, and we have flying mounts. We have no places to go that depends on the Skiff, and in general, outside of the small events and for the looks, the skiff will be forgotten with time. It can have nice uses in certain small cases, but it looks like Anet will just sell skins and let go of it sadly, as I quite like the Skiff.

• Confused 1

The Skiff playing a major role in SotO is highly doubtful. In maps consisting of a city in the sky and a bunch of islands in the sky, there simply isn't room to be sailing around the map on a boat. 

What I do imagine being possible unless Arenanet sleeps on this, is the following: The city might have rectangular or cross-shaped pools of water like in a Roman bath house, and if we're lucky, one will be large enough to have room for fishing holes which feature some new fish that's relevant to new cooking recipes (disregard this part, I was getting fishing systems from different games mixed up). And the island map might have one island with a little lake that also has fishing holes.

My personal hope is that both those things are true and that one of the two is set up in a way that is suitable and reliable for fishing legendary fish. Factors pertaining to that are

-of the fish available in sky maps, none of the legendary ones require dawn/dusk

-of the fish available in sky maps, at least one legendary fish is available during the day

-of the fish available in sky maps, at least one legendary fish is available during the night

-of the legendary fish available in sky maps during day and night, neither require mackerels

-the list of fish available during the day with the bait needed for legendary fish during the day isn't longer than necessary

-the list of fish available during the night with the bait needed for legendary fish during the night isn't longer than necessary

I would love to spend time fishing somewhere other than sandswept. 

Edited by GeraldBC.4927
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:06 AM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

Skiff needs to be able to sail on air like air ship and there's new fish that we fish from the clouds. 

• Confused 1