New Legendary Focus: The Binding of Ipos [Preview Window]

Justine.6351

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, did the final inspection on this one lack a final preview on an actual character? It looks amazing.... except that my character would fall over carrying it. The run animation should be your character dragging it on the ground with both hands while looking over his/her shoulder to see where they are going...

@Justine.6351 said:What the fragility is that ugly claw thing? Remove please? Just my thoughts on preview after I saw stars from laughing so hard at how badly focus players got trolled by it.

was how to give you a different hand. Spoilers: I didn't. I covered yours up, hence the large size of the claw - it has to fully encompass your hand. It's not your hand anyway, it's a magic demon hand. Also, don't let the preview window fool you, it's not actually accurate size in there (though it sounds like you crafted it).

Believe me, it bothers me too; even more so since it's my creation and I want it to be perfect! This was yet another problem I had to deal with and it ended up being something I could not solve. Since I can't move the arm I'm limited to moving the book around and messing with the size.

The book actually does scale down and it squishes flatter while on your hip to help a little, but no amount of scaling or squishing would remove the clipping on some races unless you want a book for ants. Scaling it down also presents its own set of issues so the final result you see was the best solution.

I tried everything.

These are problems I deal with every time I make hip stowed weapons and there are quite a few others that share this issue. Making weapons is a game of compromises and it's an art to even get things to look as good as you end up seeing them in game. Game development in a nutshell.

Other comment (not related to the 'claw' effect)

It was not. I came up with the idea for and made the focus, and I work independently from the skills and balance team. The focus was not designed with tomes in mind, and guardian tomes were not unused because of the legendary. The weapon went through several iterations and eventually landed on a book, and when it came time to figure out how the character would hold it I didn't want to have to resort to having the character just holding a strap on the binding like other book focuses. I wanted something unique and awesome, remembered guardian tomes, and continued from there. It took a lot of problem solving to get it to work at all (weapons work differently from spells like the guardian tomes, not to mention all the other animation and art work that had to be done for it) but eventually /u/anet_mattp and I figured it out! It has a lot of crazy stuff going on behind the scenes that we hadn't ever done for weapons before.

That said, it was a nice bonus for me to get my tome back in a roundabout way and I hoped you guys would be happy with it too! :)

The problem I have with it is

1. I don't like the big claw hand and how it keeps moving like that.
  2. I don't like how it's only purple. Making it not work with really any look for me personally unless it's purple oriented.
  3. Not a fan of it staying on the side like that. Looks kind of silly in my opinion and think a book that big should be on my back.
  4. The only class I could see me ever using it on is Necro, but because it's an offhand weapon and I like my Torch kind of puts it under the "Eh...." category and it's not a goos substitute to the Torch in attack choices.

But I'm super picky to all the legendaries though. Don't see any legendaries or ascended skins that I personally like.Many exotics? Yes.

I love the book and I'd totally work for this legendary if that horrid claw didn't exist. It makes the weapon much uglier and less flexible for different styles imo.The plus is that I won't have to go through the crafting process, it's a torture to me. :grin:Waiting to see gen2 scepter now, wondering if it's gonna be better than my beloved Meteorlogicus.