Literally the only reason I play GW2 is that there is no battlepass...looks like those days are over

10 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Yeah, I don't like the removal of login rewards either. I used to get useful stuff like black lion keys and mystic coins and even a precursor from the exotic gear box from these. 
I absolutely hate having to run up to vendors to redeem the new currency with my massive social anxiety and when people are standing there. I always feel judged. 

Everyone standing around the vendor is there for the same reasons. They may even be buying the exact same things you are, although there's no way to know because no one can see other players purchases. (Which means you also don't need to worry about them seeing yours.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2023 at 11:46 PM, Lucy.3728 said:

When and where did that ever work?

Some leave, some join, rest accepts. No harm done for those companies.

Budlight dropping 25% market share in  only 6 weeks. Money is what gives companies power, remove the money, you remove the power. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I'll be honest... I don't mind a battlepass. I haven't looked to see if I feel this one is worth it, but in general I grew up on subscription MMOs, and definitely understand that there are costs associated with keeping an MMO up. Given how few MMOs are left, I'm pretty forgiving of some of the stuff the big ones still standing are doing to keep their investors/parent companies from shutting them down. Some stuff really sucks, but a months/quarterly/yearly recurring cost is one I personally can stomach.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ganogati.8963 said:

I'll be honest... I don't mind a battlepass. I haven't looked to see if I feel this one is worth it, but in general I grew up on subscription MMOs, and definitely understand that there are costs associated with keeping an MMO up. Given how few MMOs are left, I'm pretty forgiving of some of the stuff the big ones still standing are doing to keep their investors/parent companies from shutting them down. Some stuff really sucks, but a months/quarterly/yearly recurring cost is one I personally can stomach.

There is no battlepass. There are a few armor pieces, a griffon skin, and a weapon set you can buy with the AA, but it's not a "battlepass you level up" like other games. And ALL cosmetic rewards are going into a legacy pass when the store updates, so there is no FOMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Kalavier.1097 said:

There is no battlepass. There are a few armor pieces, a griffon skin, and a weapon set you can buy with the AA, but it's not a "battlepass you level up" like other games. And ALL cosmetic rewards are going into a legacy pass when the store updates, so there is no FOMO.

Oh wow. That actually sounds pretty nice

22 minutes ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

So, how are things looking in hindsight?  Still have plenty of choices for finishing your dailies, or is it looking more rigid in structure and more time consuming to finish, like a battle pass? 😉

There's less choice, which means it might be more time consuming, but overall it seems ok to me.

I was able to do all 3 dailies (plus logging in obviously) and 6 weeklies in just under 2 hours (and it could have been a lot quicker if I'd remembered how to do the mini dungeon), then I got a 7th weekly just after that when I salvaged the loot from the meta event. (Apparently you can do more than the 6 required for the meta chest.) That got me 3/4 of the Astral Acclaim I need for the griffon skin, which is the most expensive item so far. I think that's pretty good going for one evening and if this week is representative of others it means people who can log in regularly will be able to get a lot of the available items.

I have a very busy week (even by my standards) so I'm only going to be able to log in on two more days (I originally say Thursday, Friday and Monday, but I forgot Monday would count towards next week) so I won't be able to get the griffon this week, but other people will, which leaves all the other weeks (and the special category) for other stuff.

The items available seem pretty random, but I think some people will like that build templates are included since I know a lot of people said those are too expensive in the gem store.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We've only had one short reset period, so give it a little time to see what dailies are like and how changing the 3 preferences affects things. I was able to do my dailies (mix of PvE and WvW) rather easily today, plus a weekly or two. Or even wait until Monday's weekly reset to see what that changes.

If you play with a partner/team, make sure you have the same expansions and make the same selections (PvE | WvW | PvP) so you get the same choices. Even then, some choices really aren't team-oriented, such as salvaging.

• Like 1

Yep, seems fine to me. The kinds of dailies don't really seem to have changed that much, and most of them seem fairly easy.

I'm also pretty happy with the cost of various items - like there's now an easy way to get transmutation charges (I am forever running out of those, because Fashion Wars is my true endgame). Also very, very happy that there are emotes, armor/mount skins, and build templates available to buy. Isn't this what people wanted? To get rewarded for playing the game and not simply buying something off the gem store? ...well, since I can't speak for other people, I'm glad of it. 🙂

5 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Looks like I was right. 

Half right, the problem is now you are forced to be picky with the activities, either pve or pvp. Another is (if you can even call it a problem): you just have to be more active now (Oh the horror!)

But the reward/upsides are why people say you were wrong

AA is not gonna get outdated when new season arrive
Same for rewards, they get moved to legacy just bit more pricey
Still no FOMO, a simple login award 5 AA anyway. Other garbage "battle pass" put trash items before good stuffs to force you to grind or it's gone forever, here you can pick what you want to focus on and buy. If Anet can polish the system more, i say this is worth keeping.

Edited by Ultramex.1506
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

So, how are things looking in hindsight?  Still have plenty of choices for finishing your dailies, or is it looking more rigid in structure and more time consuming to finish, like a battle pass? 😉

No choices at all (beyond game mode). The system assigns three specific dailies. You have no decision making input other than to not do dailies at all if the ones assigned are not fun for you. The time requirements will vary based on which dailies are assigned. Kill three opposing players in WvW could potentially take many hours depending on server (yours and your enemies') level of activity during your available play time. Or you could get dodge three attacks, kill five guards, and capture one camp (as I did) and be done in 30 seconds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sylvyn.4750 said:

Not plenty choices, but also not time consuming. Only Spirit Vestibule which took me around 10 min. The other ones got completed just by playing the game as I normally do. I would like more daily choices, but the system overall is not bad. And still not a battlepass. This day I got mine done just by playing the new map. So free dailes for me today.

2 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

Half right, the problem is now you are forced to be picky with the activities, either pve or pvp. Another is (if you can even call it a problem): you just have to be more active now (Oh the horror!)

But the reward/upsides are why people say you were wrong

AA is not gonna get outdated when new season arrive
Same for rewards, they get moved to legacy just bit more pricey
Still no FOMO, a simple login award 5 AA anyway. Other garbage "battle pass" put trash items before good stuffs to force you to grind or it's gone forever, here you can pick what you want to focus on and buy. If Anet can polish the system more, i say this is worth keeping.

We dont know that yet next mini expansion we might haveto earn SAA the superior version of it mate.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tiviana.2650 said:

I was right and this didnt age well. 60AA for 1 gold lol , the cost of the 2% gold boost is more and they halved it to 1%

It's only 9 AA for your first 90. There's 2 different purchase options. Also raw gold is probably a waste of AA tbh. There's so many ways to grind it in game. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/21/2023 at 10:41 PM, Stx.4857 said:

If you hate battle passes you should realize that what is coming to this game is nothing like a battle pass.  This is good for the game and I can’t see a downside to this whatsoever.  

This one aged poorly :P 
Looks like there are actually a lot of downsides coming with the wizard vault.^^" 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

No choices at all (beyond game mode). The system assigns three specific dailies. You have no decision making input other than to not do dailies at all if the ones assigned are not fun for you. The time requirements will vary based on which dailies are assigned. Kill three opposing players in WvW could potentially take many hours depending on server (yours and your enemies') level of activity during your available play time. Or you could get dodge three attacks, kill five guards, and capture one camp (as I did) and be done in 30 seconds.

I do think it's odd that they don't let you see all the available options before choosing which ones you'll do. I suspect it's because there's no other limit on how many you can do. Yesterday I finished 6 weekly achievements, then I got a 7th for salvaging stuff. So if all then dailies were available together you could do all 9 (plus logging in) and some people would feel pressured to do that. But IMO the way around that is to block completion of the others once you've done 3. That's what Elder Scrolls Online does with their endeavours and I think it's what GW2 used to do with dailies before they started adding additional rewards to each one. Let players see all of them but once you've done 3 the whole list is greyed out or hidden until it resets.

I suspect whoever designed the system assumed most players stick to a game mode or decide in advance what they're going to do and so choosing wouldn't be an option. Or maybe they intended to make dailies harder, take away the ability to do 3 very easy choices like view a vista, spend some badges of honour and...whatever a very easy PvP daily was and push everyone to do one of the harder/most time consuming ones.

I think it bothers me less than other people though because the end result is there will be days I look at the available options and think "I'm not doing any of that" and skip it, and I do that anyway. Also it reminds me a lot of ESO's endeavour system and that has sometimes turned out to be fun by pushing me to do more time consuming things. (Like getting me to do Battlegrounds occasionally, which is making me think I should give GW2's PvP another try.)

• Like 1