Astral Amor Same Price or Maybe even more Expensive than Actual Legendary Armor [Merged]

19 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

for me personally, once I had around 15 80s I went all in on collecting legendaries. Now, I'm up to 31 80s and it is so nice to just spend 5 minutes after hitting 80 and being pretty much don't with equipment for that character. I've got 9 characters that use at least 1 Axe in their build. So having that available for them with whatever stats I want has been a huge benefit. Off the top of my head, I think it's about 30g and a bit of time crafting each weapon. So I still paid more up front, but the versatility more than makes up for it (imo).

Yea I can see in those situations.

But I really don't think you can expect them to balance around playing that many characters. I just don't see the typical player actively playing content on 30 characters that regularly require stat changes. That's basically 2000  gold  just in character slots if you bought them on sale. If you can afford that, then I don't think "wasting gold" on legendaries is a problem.

(and honestly, what else would you even use extra gold for, if you can gear 30 characters.)

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Yea I can see in those situations.

But I really don't think you can expect them to balance around playing that many characters. I just don't see the typical player actively playing content on 30 characters that regularly require stat changes. That's basically 2000 gold just in character slots if you bought them on sale. If you can afford that, then I don't think "wasting gold" on legendaries is a problem.

(and honestly, what else would you even use extra gold for, if you can gear 30 characters.)

All fair. Yea, all my character slots were on sale or free with expansions. they just kind of built up over the years. And when I had a new character idea I just made a new character rather than deleting an old one. Aside from parked characters, I think I play 2 as mains and another 4-5 regularly. Which is nice for map completions. I'd rather re-explore a map on a new character than do lanterns.

We've gotten a bit off topic though.
On topic: I think the astral armor looks overly expensive, but if you only have to do it once and that's factored into the overall costs for the leg armor maybe it won't be too bad. Unfortunately I think we will have to wait and see how all of the Rift content rolls out and whether or not there are consistent groups doing T2 and T3 rifts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

All fair. Yea, all my character slots were on sale or free with expansions. they just kind of built up over the years. And when I had a new character idea I just made a new character rather than deleting an old one. Aside from parked characters, I think I play 2 as mains and another 4-5 regularly. Which is nice for map completions. I'd rather re-explore a map on a new character than do lanterns.

Well, map completions are an issue as you can only do them once per character. Someone scared me with 60 gifts of exploration while I am struggling just to get another 2.

Granted, I tend to treat alts outside of my mains as mostly tools. For example. one of my alts just sits next to the provisoner token vendor and another opens mid level bags so in all fairness I don't care what they're wearing atm. It's just how I approach things. A lot of people even look at me funny for even having alts beyond 1/class, so it's just kinda odd discussing this.

Still, I do separate my pve/wvw characters, and actually have 3 guardians with all kinds of different builds as a result.  Incidentally the reason is because the legendary armor UI is horrible and I managed to hold up entire groups by moving infusions around.  So I had to make separate characters instead and for the longest while found seperate prebuilt ascended sets more efficient.

Anyhow, yea. I was mostly talking to the more casual players who may need to be a bit more conservative about gold and I didn't want them to brick their accounts. But you seem to be doing pretty well regardless.

12 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

On topic: I think the astral armor looks overly expensive, but if you only have to do it once and that's factored into the overall costs for the leg armor maybe it won't be too bad. Unfortunately I think we will have to wait and see how all of the Rift content rolls out and whether or not there are consistent groups doing T2 and T3 rifts.

It really depends on how the TP goes. Laurels will help you get the materials you're missing. Typically the bottleneck will be t3/t4. The less you rely on the TP, and the more buy orders instead of buy instantly you have to do, the less painful it will be.

I do really hope they won't sneak some competitive stuff in there, because that would really throw a wrench in. And we also have to see how fun those rifts are.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

In pvp and wvw you get ppl trying to kill you (and succeeding).
Raids require you to get good at the game and deal with pugging or get a static group.

Makes sense legendary armors from these modes are easier to get. What you don't pay in time and gold in these modes you pay in stress and deaths.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Right now I feel this expansion won't have enough replayability value for me to get all of that stuff. Maybe the content that's yet to come will change that, I keep an open mind. Unless I like the skin I'll skip regardless though, since I already have legendary armor (minus 1 last piece piece I'm still working on).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Well, map completions are an issue as you can only do them once per character. Someone scared me with 60 gifts of exploration while I am struggling just to get another 2.

I was thinking EoD and SotO, but good point. I've only done 3 core map completions so far. Getting my main mesmer set up to run a 4th now, once I finish SotO stuff.

9 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Granted, I tend to treat alts outside of my mains as mostly tools. For example. one of my alts just sits next to the provisoner token vendor and another opens mid level bags so in all fairness I don't care what they're wearing atm. It's just how I approach things. A lot of people even look at me funny for even having alts beyond 1/class, so it's just kinda odd discussing this.

Still, I do separate my pve/wvw characters, and actually have 3 guardians with all kinds of different builds as a result.  Incidentally the reason is because the legendary armor UI is horrible and I managed to hold up entire groups by moving infusions around.  So I had to make separate characters instead.

A good bit of mine are tools as well. I have 5 parked for provisioner tokens, which I'm glad for since we now know the OW armor will require them. I think I have 26 parked characters in total. I like making characters for looks though too, so while they have complete gear sets, quite a few were just to see if I could put together a character to look a certain way.

Good to know that Leg armor may end up being a pain at times.

9 minutes ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Anyhow, yea. I was mostly talking to the more casual players who may need to be a bit more conservative about gold and I didn't want them to brick their accounts. But you seem to be doing pretty well regardless.

It really depends on how the TP goes. Laurels will help you get the materials you're missing. Typically the bottleneck will be t3/t4. The less you rely on the TP, and the more buy orders instead of buy instantly you have to do, the less painful it will be.

I do really hope they won't sneak some competitive stuff in there, because that would really throw a wrench in. And we also have to see how fun those rifts are.

Also fair points. I don't ever think my gw2 experience/playstyle is going to be representative of the more casual player base (even if I still consider myself somewhat in that group).

7 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

In pvp and wvw you get ppl trying to kill you (and succeeding).
Raids require you to get good at the game and deal with pugging or get a static group.

Makes sense legendary armors from these modes are easier to get. What you don't pay in time in gold you pay in stress and deaths.

Eh. I don't PvP, but WvW armor isn't harder per se. Just time consuming. Without higher rank, it can be done  12-15 hours/week of just flipping camps. I do wish WvW rewarded  active gameplay more when working towards skirmish tickets. I hear PvP can be similar. Raids is the only game mode that actually requires skill, assuming you're not being carried through.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Good to know that Leg armor may end up being a pain at times.

Well, still better than weapons and templates. If you swap a legendary weapon out, and then put it back in and you have to set stats and sigils and infusions and then fill out a form yadadada xD But it shouldn't be like that; they just need to improve templates.

8 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

A good bit of mine are tools as well. I have 5 parked for provisioner tokens, which I'm glad for since we now know the OW armor will require them. I think I have 26 parked characters in total. I like making characters for looks though too, so while they have complete gear sets, quite a few were just to see if I could put together a character to look a certain way.

Skins are pretty important for many, yes.

Eh. I don't PvP, but WvW armor isn't harder per se. Just time consuming. Without higher rank, it can be done  12-15 hours/week of just flipping camps. I do wish WvW rewarded  active gameplay more when working towards skirmish tickets

Since you do WvW as well, do note the weekly vendor provides Provisioner tokens if you need some.

I think the actual leg armor requires something like 15k. Though I'm not sure if that's in addition to.

Hmm, don't think Research Notes are going to be the roadblock. I have 9800 of them and never even built anything that requires them. I think I was just curious about getting some because I heard they were used for legendaries.

OTOH, I only have barely more than 1 stack of 3 types of t6s, and about half a stack for the rest. And I can never get enough Crystalline dust for anything.

Anyhow, https://fast.farming-community.eu/salvaging/costs-per-research-note

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Master Lee.2016 said:

The astral armor however is more expensive than some legendary armor. In order to complete the achievement, you must collect all eighteen pieces of the astral armor set, this however will require an insane number of materials and currency. 

Check the forums and you'll find that there were many requests for OW legendary armour for those who "couldn't stand" raiding/PvP/wvw. Everyone and their mother was asking for another option saying "it doesn't matter if the time investment is greater and it requires more resources". 

We'll here you go, this is the mega-grind option people wanted. If you want it quicker/cheaper go via the old methods.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Quick calculation tells me that each Astral Ward armor is ~40g a piece. The price is indeed steep for an exotic gear. But you can't tell whether the overall price for the legendary piece will be higher than the previous legendaries. For the Raid heavy armor chest piece it costs ~325g, for the PvP heavy armor chest piece it costs ~370g and for the WvW heavy armor chest piece it costs ~380g. So just 40g added to that cost for the PvE legendary armor isn't that much in my opinion, considering the fact that pve players can do their collections whenever they want without the hassle of finding players to play with. And if my guess is correct I think the relation of Astral ward armor collection to the Obsidian Legendary armor will be same as the WvW armor where you need to unlock the exotic version to unlock the Ascended precursor version for the Legendary and will not actually have to complete all of the 18 pieces to get started with the legendary.

When I first heard about the PvE legendary armor I was hyped, because I believed now we can do various PvE content to collect things needed (like with legy weapons to get the precursors) instead of mindless farming and doing the same event over and over and over and over again, but now I see nothing has changed. Well, whatever Anet.

I just gonna finish the WvW one, which I started already, it's still going to be less pain and boredom than this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Nah, it was same or even more, as long as they can do it in ow, because it's not about time or effort, it's about content involved.

So? We're not talking about of crafting legendary armor. Because that cost should be put into crafting legendary armor. Astral Armor in the end is not the precursor armor. It's not the cost of legendary armor unlock collection that will be done only by players aiming at legendary armor. We're talking about the cost of a pretty normal exotic armor, whose tie to legendary armor is mostly tangential.

Apart from that, the overall cost of the new legendary armor (from the info we've already got, of course, barring any last-time surprises) seems well within expectations.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

So? We're not talking about of crafting legendary armor.

What do you mean "so?" ? Did you see what I responded to? We are talking about legendary armor in this comment chain. Please read before lashing out.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

I love the concept art (for the heavy, the others are… not my cup of tea), so I’ll be doing it literally for the skin, because I already have the WvW set for functionality. Maybe it’s just because I was preparing for it, but I am not daunted yet- a lot of the materials already done, and the rifts are the current new things so are decently easy to farm atm. Frankly it seems less than I was expecting so far

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Undeadrage.5106 said:

Open world legendary armor should be more expensive and take longer to get from the rest due to being open world. You don't need any skill or even a build, can be done solo at any time you want to play. Compared to raids/pvp/wvw its the easiest to do. 

T2 and T3 rifts can't be soloed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

And it's gorgeous. I'm excited to build this collection since it's bound to carry some real prestige with this kind of investment behind it.

completely agreed.

im after looks, i really don't mind stats change.

i have 20+ ascendends gear, and i can't understand why ppl swap stats too much, even worse after equipment tab slots introduction.

So i agree, would be nice a armor really expensive, and the looks prestige it.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PeachyPleasure.8049 said:

When I first heard about the PvE legendary armor I was hyped, because I believed now we can do various PvE content to collect things needed (like with legy weapons to get the precursors) instead of mindless farming and doing the same event over and over and over and over again, but now I see nothing has changed. Well, whatever Anet.

I just gonna finish the WvW one, which I started already, it's still going to be less pain and boredom than this.

whats the alternative for non raiders? a skycale-like hellish scavenger hunt? believe-me, if they did a skycale-like collection, the amount of hate will beat even if a single leg armour piece cost 10k.

• Like 1