Astral Amor Same Price or Maybe even more Expensive than Actual Legendary Armor [Merged]

12 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

1 purchasable, but unsure if map currency is equivalent, never looked at the amount tbh - saw the thing I remembered needed for leg armor, and have stuck to that so far 🙂

The source I provided was sufficient. But regardless I will humour you on this one:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/first-contact-the-kryptis-and-rift-hunting/

https://massivelyop.com/2023/08/01/guild-wars-2-teases-secrets-of-the-obscures-new-kryptis-enemies-and-rift-hunting-mechanics/

+ the roadmap, specifically stating which quarterly update will get what kind of "higher tier rifts" that I have already provided.

At this point I have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that AN is planning to release "higher tiers" of nascent rift content with quarterly updates, aimed at groups, and most likely providing more essences thant the 3 tiers of the rifts we have currently.

Interest in running event chains in HoT map did not die out due to "lack of rewards" but because AN have detached them from their original meta events due to complaints that full rewards from HoT Meta events required you to invest approx 2h of your time in advance to run all those chains to their conclusion. 

Thank you for providing the requested source.

• Confused 2

Yeah, when they announced PvE legendary armor, I was like “cool, something I might be able to actually obtain”. Then I saw what was required to get the armor and how much it’s going to cost and I said “screw that”. Once again, Anet makes something take way too long and cost way too much to get what is in essence nothing more than a QoL feature (which is insane to me). Oh well, guess I’ll just keep using my three sets of ascended armor that I have and just rotate between them.

If something like this is supposed to help encourage more playtime/engagement from people, it’s having the exact opposite effect. I see this and think “yeah, I’ll just go do something else instead”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

7 minutes ago, Zeph.5927 said:

If something like this is supposed to help encourage more playtime/engagement from people, it’s having the exact opposite effect. I see this and think “yeah, I’ll just go do something else instead”.

That's the effect legendaries have on most players when they first encounter the requirements list. You'll get passed it or you won't. There's plenty to do in the game that isn't legendary collections. 

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, idpersona.3810 said:

That's the effect legendaries have on most players when they first encounter the requirements list. You'll get passed it or you won't. There's plenty to do in the game that isn't legendary collections. 

Good luck and have fun!

At this point in the game’s life, it just boggles my mind that legendary armor (which is nothing but a quality of life feature allowing you to swap between stats) still takes what it does to unlock and use. Yeah, yeah, I get this is a “horizontal progression” game, but seriously. This is insane and does nothing to encourage me to interact with the system at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Zeph.5927 said:

which is nothing but a quality of life feature allowing you to swap between stats

It’s also shared between all characters in the armory. 

5 minutes ago, Zeph.5927 said:

This is insane and does nothing to encourage me to interact with the system at all.

Then don’t. No one is forcing you but for many others legendary armor is a long term goal. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Zeph.5927 said:

At this point in the game’s life, it just boggles my mind that legendary armor (which is nothing but a quality of life feature allowing you to swap between stats) still takes what it does to unlock and use. Yeah, yeah, I get this is a “horizontal progression” game, but seriously. This is insane and does nothing to encourage me to interact with the system at all.

Emphasis mine: then this portion on content is not for you. That's okay.
As stated, it's also unlimited ascended stat selectable armors for all of your characters of that weight class.

Mind you, I also think the requirements are a bit much. But that's fine. It may or may not be for me (I haven't fully decided yet). That's all. There are (or will be) 4 ways to get legendary armor. All of them cost at least (or around) the price of crafting 10 ascendeds. If you just want to gear in ascended pieces (exotic is perfectly fine for 90% of the game's content) that is a 100% viable option. Purchase a few equipment templates and set up some sets. And you still might still be cheaper than getting legendary armor. It is wholly unnecessary for the game.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Zeph.5927 said:

Yeah, when they announced PvE legendary armor, I was like “cool, something I might be able to actually obtain”. Then I saw what was required to get the armor and how much it’s going to cost and I said “screw that”. Once again, Anet makes something take way too long and cost way too much to get what is in essence nothing more than a QoL feature (which is insane to me). Oh well, guess I’ll just keep using my three sets of ascended armor that I have and just rotate between them.

inst only "QOL". but have amazing looks, so its prestige.

open world Pve needed this, a real prestige armor.

i have 10+ asc. armor sets, i really don't need legendary mechanics, because i also don't switch too much things, basicaly my guardin cover everything with a asc. minstrel set(support roles), and the asc. dragon stats set(dps).

the others asc. set are for other specs.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Zeph.5927 said:

its better being costly, than being skycale like scavenger hunt and jumping puzzles.

because u ern gold doing anything u want in the game.

also open world pve meta trains guys is probably richest guys on the game, its make sense that armour should be costly.

• Confused 2

59 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

its better being costly, than being skycale like scavenger hunt and jumping puzzles.

because u ern gold doing anything u want in the game.

also open world pve meta trains guys is probably richest guys on the game, its make sense that armour should be costly.

Getting a skyscale, even the old way, looks like a walk in the park to me compared to the requirements I've seen for PvE legendary armor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Getting a skyscale, even the old way, looks like a walk in the park to me compared to the requirements I've seen for PvE legendary armor.

do that train everyday

- Tequatl(2g).

- Ley Line anomaly(MC + materials).

- Dailies.(1g~2g)

- Dragonstorm.(2g + materials).

- Rift Hunt (to craft stuff).

- (optional) drizzlewood meta.

- (optional) fractal T2 run(10g~15g + materials)

- repeat everyday.

become rich.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

do that train everyday

- Tequatl(2g).

- Dailies.(1g~2g)

- repeat everyday.

become rich.

I'd rather not dedicate all my limited free time to just this one game in order to unlock a quality of life feature. There's grinds, and then there's GW2 grinds.

At this point in the game's life, I think it would be reasonable for Anet to allow you to switch between stats if you have crafted the entire ascended armor set for each set of those stats. Basically, you unlock something like Berserker stats if you craft Zojja's entire ascended armor set and then can switch to them at any time you want on an ascended armor set (without the dumb Mystic Forge thing already in the game). Legendary armor would still retain its "prestige" because it has unique looks, but everyone else can get the QoL stuff that the game honestly needs this far into its life cycle.

Edited by Zeph.5927
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

18 minutes ago, Zeph.5927 said:

I'd rather not dedicate all my limited free time to just this one game in order to unlock a quality of life feature. There's grinds, and then there's GW2 grinds.

At this point in the game's life, I think it would be reasonable for Anet to allow you to switch between stats if you have crafted the entire ascended armor set for each set of those stats. Basically, you unlock something like Berserker stats if you craft Zojja's entire ascended armor set and then can switch to them at any time you want on an ascended armor set (without the dumb Mystic Forge thing already in the game). Legendary armor would still retain its "prestige" because it has unique looks, but everyone else can get the QoL stuff that the game honestly needs this far into its life cycle.

How about no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

do that train everyday

- Tequatl(2g).

- Dailies.(1g~2g)

- repeat everyday.

become rich.

Your obsession with gold has no bearing on the situation. Gold is the least of the cost for PvE legendary armor. You can be the richest player in the game and you'll still have to gather account bound resources in the tens of thousands. The gold cost appears negligible.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:49 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

and so it begins: the begging for making the open world legi armor cheaper is here, when the armor is not even implemented.

The main problem is about how strongly this armor is tied to SotO and single specific activity. The next expansion is barely a year away (if they will keep the pomised schedule, at least), and will surely introduce its own dedicated grind system to rival rifts. And considering t2 and t3 rifts are not realiably soloable (or at least not for a huge majority of players), anyone trying to start legendary armor a year from now will immediately run into issues.

That potential OW legendary armor should not be so heaviny tied to a single, narrow content was something that was frequently brought up in OW legendary armor threads. Doing it this way is almost like Anet did it merely to stop the old threads, while at the same time wanting to massively disincentivize players from pursuing that option. It might have been different if the grind was not so heavy, but we're already talking about 18k of t1 essences (and thousands of t2 and t3 ones). For a single set, so multiply that by 3.

The gold cost, while already quite extensive, (even without counting the potential cost of third armor set and the several yet unknown components) seems actually insignificant in comparison.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

The main problem is about how strongly this armor is tied to SotO and single specific activity. The next expansion is barely a year away (if they will keep the pomised schedule, at least), and will surely introduce its own dedicated grind system to rival rifts. And considering t2 and t3 rifts are not realiably soloable (or at least not for a huge majority of players), anyone trying to start legendary armor a year from now will immediately run into issues.

That potential OW legendary armor should not be so heaviny tied to a single, narrow content was something that was frequently brought up in OW legendary armor threads. Doing it this way is almost like Anet did it merely to stop the old threads, while at the same time wanting to massively disincentivize players from pursuing that option. It might have been different if the grind was not so heavy, but we're already talking about 18k of t1 essences (and thousands of t2 and t3 ones). For a single set, so multiply that by 3.

The gold cost, while already quite extensive, (even without counting the potential cost of third armor set and the several yet unknown components) seems actually insignificant in comparison.

So the complaint is rather about this being tied to 1 specific expansion?

First off:

We have absolutely no idea if this is tied to only SotO. Thematically it seems tied to fighting Kryptis, and those might very well be not a one time thing and Kryptis invasions are not SotO only.

Even if so: good. It gives longterm incentives to purchase SotO for future new players.

Second:

I already mentioned this but it seems some players are critically unaware what others are doing in this game. Seems when most hear "open world" they think of doing 2-3 meta events, diddle around here and there, then log after 1 hour.

Fair enough, that's how I interact with open world content myself, given I also enjoy other content which takes up my time.

Then there is the daily 10 hour farm trains which complete all metas (or nearly all), farm for hours and gather 50+ gold daily in wealth. These are the dedicated "open world" players which are equivalent to the dedicated WvW players or raiders etc. The players that extensively play "the mode".

The open world legendary armor is situated somewhere inbetween the 10 hour farmers and the dabblers. Without exact math I'd still wagger that doing 2 hours of open world events and rifting will get a player all the resources they need in a months time. Signifcantly faster than any time gates on the other legendary armors.

I'm sorry, all I see is a repeat of the precursor crafting situation years ago. Players demanded a non rng version for precursor acquisition while also expecting a significant cost reduction. What they got was a non rng method.

Same here:

Players demanded an open world legendary armor which does not require WvW, Pvp or raiding.

That's exactly what was delivered and it was not made cheaper than the alternatives. You have to put the work in, just as with all the other legendary armors (in some formnor another) be it time (wvw), competative gameplay (spvp) or social interaction and mechanics (raids).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Hello everyone, 

will it be possible to craft an amure set that will allow you to have the legendary armor skin but without the legendary functionality? just like the wvw armor. 

As for me, I'm already full legendary, so there's no point in making another one, especially given the quantities of materials required, but if I like the skinn itself, I'd find it too frustrating to have to craft a full set of legendary armor out of the three types of armor ...

• Like 1

🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I knew there will be a catch, that's why I finished all WvW sets rather than waiting, because nothing is easy or quick when it come to Legendary.

I hope Anet won't reduce the amount but rather improve the activity, nothing kill your expansion selling features more than people getting bored of it.

Good luck everyone. There're going to be more arguing and complaining and arguing and complaining for years to come. 🥳

Edited by Ultramex.1506
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

I hope Anet won't reduce the amount but rather improve the activity, nothing kill your expansion selling features more than people getting bored of it.

This is where I land on the rifts feature. I would love to see the experience improved. Rifts get stale fast.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I knew there will be a catch, that's why I finished all WvW sets rather than waiting, because nothing is easy or quick when it come to Legendary.

Good luck everyone. There're going to be more arguing and complaining and arguing and complaining for years to come. 🥳

This is more what I would be interested in. Or similar to IBS eternal ice -> S4 currencies, so whatever the next expansion is, you can exchange new currency into the motivation/essence for this 

• Confused 1

I have checked the prices now. Seems still reasonable. Yes they are expensive and not that special (yet). But there have been other non-legendary sets that were expensive. And I think it is a good thing to keep the maps populated - for now. Some rift currency and normal map currency (dust and static charges) is required. The gift thing should not be that expensive. Especially if stuff really unlocks all weight classes like someone mentioned.

I really wonder about the finished legendary armor though. Are they really going ot make it more expensive - to make up for not having to do raids? Might as well happen that the thing we have now was the most expensive part + us having to to just more grind and stuff like super lengthy scavenger hunts for the later parts. The clovers stuff and the mats like fangs, totems, etc. - might not be required anymore. Replacing that variant of the gift where you usually hat that expensive tribute item.

Pretty sure though that each armor piece might require a full set of map completion gifts. (Repeatably by lighting the lantern.) And the weight class unlock for the skin will not apply to the legendary. (Keep the item. You might need all 18 if you want to get all 18 legendary pieces.)

They have added the other new achievements for gen 1 legendary weapons where the achievement just keeps track of the items needed. (Still need to craft manually in mystic forge.) So if this is similar for the new legendary armor just having the skin unlocked obviously also won't be enough. (= all weight classes needed so you can put in the precursor into thte mystic forge).

If I look at the legendary PvE  here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor

Precursor is obvious. The Gift of Prowess alternative might be some rift grinder thing. Dedication alternative thing could use the map completion gifts + additional map currency.  Question is if there'll be another thing like Gift of Prosperity - with similar cost. Or if they maybe also add "interesting" activities (cheaper in terms of gold but maybe more annoying for players that like classic gold farming) in that place.

on the main topic in the post title.  I just finished my astral ward armor.  It is true I already had some of the mats but I also bought about 5 of the rare motivations instead of crafting.  All together it cost me maybe 125 gold at most and a few days playing - a long cry from what I would expect legendary armor to cost.  So in regard to the post title; no, astral ward armor is nowhere near as expensive as legendary, not even close.

I should add, by the way, for those who have not figured out the motivations: double clicking a motivation makes you start hunting for the appropriate scale rift but does not use up the motivation.  You need to interact with the rift after the kryptis have been killed and before the boss arrives and then chose "use common/uncommon/rare motivation."  The motivation will then be used and give you an extra chest of essences when the rift closes.  With the motivations and the rift mastery I have been getting from 30-45 essences each time.  So it goes pretty fast and is not as bad a grind as it initially looks.

Edited by Mattahood.9423
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1