Relic system?

I haven't played in a while and I saw that they introduced a relic system which replaces the sixth set bonus for runes, however relics don't seem to be one to one with those bonuses.

Does that mean the effort I put in over the years farming/buying/crafting specific rune sets has been retroactively wasted? I'm specifically thinking about the Golemancer runes for my asura characters, but others as well, every character got deliberately designed a certain way and it appears that has now been thrown away. Is that assessment correct? Or is there actually something to make up for taking all that away?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

I haven't played in a while and I saw that they introduced a relic system which replaces the sixth set bonus for runes, however relics don't seem to be one to one with those bonuses.

Does that mean the effort I put in over the years farming/buying/crafting specific rune sets has been retroactively wasted? I'm specifically thinking about the Golemancer runes for my asura characters, but others as well, every character got deliberately designed a certain way and it appears that has now been thrown away. Is that assessment correct? Or is there actually something to make up for taking all that away?

Yes it was wasted. We called it out prior to their release in regards to legendary runes, but at that time they were claiming that the 6th rune effects weren't going away. Turns out that was a lie.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

This is like saying you had to pay for school when you grew up but today kids get school for free therefore your time spent going to school was a waste.

it’s a fallacy. The system worked the way it did back then, the system works in the way that it does now, time passes all the same and the experience what you experience in your life continues.

• Like 12
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 16

18 minutes ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

This is like saying you had to pay for school when you grew up but today kids get school for free therefore your time spent going to school was a waste.

No, it's like going through school only to be told after that going through school is null and void, you now have to go through the madrasa, and it doesn't even offer the same fields of study.

This has absolutely nothing to do with other people.

Edited by Aulis Vaara.7083
Better wording.
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

4 hours ago, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

No, it's like going through school only to be told after that going through school is null and void, you now have to go through the madrasa, and it doesn't even offer the same fields of study.

But the school you went to is not null and void...that's the point. You actively lived through school, you learned things, had experiences, made friends...you played the game. You could literately say that anything in the game is in vain, because the events of the past are pointless now in the present.

For instance: You got the reward for completing a quest now you go to do a new quest...so does that mean that doing the last quest was a waste of time? Of course not...you are simply experiencing the game through time...which is collecting things, killing stuff, being with friends, whatever you wanted to do in that moment, that was time you spent and whether you see it as a waste of time is simply how you feel about your experience of playing the game.

Another example: I've played what...4000 hours or something playing WvW...nothing in WvW actually matters right...you win games, but there's no real meaning to the winning or losing of games in WvW...nor fighting at all really....there's no prestige, the items are all virtual...does that mean WvW is a waste of time? You play because you want to have fun...and you did...you did have that fun and now things have changed cause that's how the world goes...things change and new adventures begin.

The runes *still* exist btw...they just no longer have the special effects, those are now on different items so that you can do a mix and match thing. If you crafted runes and collected them for whatever reason...well nothing has really changed...people still need runes...people now also need relics...so go and continue crafting and collecting runes...go and now collect relics...there is nothing retroactively being takin away from you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yes it was wasted. We called it out prior to their release on regards to legendary runes, but at that time they were claiming that the 6th rune effects weren't going away. Turns out that was a lie.

Anets left hand often doesn't know (or care) what the right hand is doing.    They often change things for no added benefit or to outright annoy their customers.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Yes, they changed it for the sake of changing it. New team wanting to own the system their way.

Its not wholly bad in principle and maybe in t8me it’ll work out, but right now the new core relics are pretty poor, with many missing from the original sets and very little gain. It’s also another case of not making sure everything was ready before releasing

• Like 18
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

it’s a fallacy. The system worked the way it did back then, the system works in the way that it does now, time passes all the same and the experience what you experience in your life continues.

it's lke going  to studies, just so to work at mcdonald or grossery shop after

Edited by Noah Salazar.5430
  • Haha 4

Imagine you made a raven themed character, dressed all in black, with feathers, ect.  Then you had a full set of Superior Rune of the Mad King slotted.  You have your raven themed character that occasionally summons ravens to attack enemies, because of the sixth rune bonus. 

Then Anet introduces relics, but the raven flock effect has not been turned into a relic.  That severely reduces your raven theme.  Oh you did enjoy ravens swarming your foes, enjoyed it for years.  Now however, you know that you cannot enjoy it going forward.  It just doesn't exist.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Imagine you made a raven themed character, dressed all in black, with feathers, ect.  Then you had a full set of Superior Rune of the Mad King slotted.  You have your raven themed character that occasionally summons ravens to attack enemies, because of the sixth rune bonus. 

Then Anet introduces relics, but the raven flock effect has not been turned into a relic.  That severely reduces your raven theme.  Oh you did enjoy ravens swarming your foes, enjoyed it for years.  Now however, you know that you cannot enjoy it going forward.  It just doesn't exist.  

Maybe they needed new rewards for Halloween, so there's a chance a Relic of the Mad King with that effect will show up during the event.

That issue still sucks though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

Yes, it is. Does it still give me why I put in the effort? No, so it's null and void.

Look… You decided to base your lifestyle on something where you can’t cope with a world that changes around you. If you want to feel like your life has been wasted, that’s just how you feel, and it would be your own fault for feeling the way that you do right now.

Maybe something more close to the heart cause maybe only then you’ll understand: Your parent dies…it happens. Were the moments you spent with her a waste of your efforts or hers… cause she’s dead now? Null and voided? Did god retroactively take those moments of your life away from you?

anyway…you seem set in your world views…you made a thread asking a question you already gave yourself the answer to…why bother opening the thread then?  Your argument would suppose that this thread would in fact also be a waste of time both for yourself and anyone that reads it. So…

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 4

Honestly the relic system broke so many of my characters that I'm not really playing anymore. Only my open world reaper still seems to function well enough.

I'm waiting for others to figure out what relics we're supposed to use. They aren't available on trade post either so I don't really understand how you're suppose to fix your old builds that got wrecked.

Basically, they added a gear grind after promising not to. So now the game is significantly less enticing to play.  I've dropped a lot of games for this reason, and gw2 is on the same path.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Like 14
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 1:50 PM, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

Does that mean the effort I put in over the years farming/buying/crafting specific rune sets has been retroactively wasted?

Yes. Although if you're lucky and in the future Anet might decide to do something about it, you may be allowed to farm to get that bonus back. In a reduced form.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

Honestly the relic system broke so many of my characters that I'm not really playing anymore. Only my open world reaper still seems to function well enough.

I'm waiting for others to figure out what relics we're supposed to use. They aren't available on trade post either so I don't really understand how you're suppose to fix your old builds that got wrecked.

Did you not get to choose 3 relics for each level 80? Honestly, in general I didn't notice the loss of relics/6th bonus for the stuff I do. Going with mostly power builds, so chose the Thief relic, if that helps.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 8/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

Does that mean the effort I put in over the years farming/buying/crafting specific rune sets has been retroactively wasted?

No? The runes themselves got more powerful as they all have additional stats where the sixth slot effects were.

The most we lost were some bonus effects like trapper runes stealth on use; for 99% of the rest the game got more powercreeped as objective fact of adding additional stats to the runes.

That, and relics create even more creep by letting you take bonuses you'd have to sacrifice big for--see speed runes.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I have 7 legendary runes for my character. 3 "free" relics just doesn't cut it to make up for it. Consider the number of builds I had used on my Guardian alone (yes I have 8 build templates).

1. Support WvW Firebrand - Altruism Runes
2. Support WvW Cleansing Firebrand - Trooper Runes
3. DPS WvW DH - Scholar Runes
4. Roamer DH - Durability Runes
5. Support Fractal Firebrand - Monk Runes
7. Power Fractal Willbender - Eagle Runes
8. Condi Fractal Willbender - Balthazar Runes

The relic change severely punishes the most committed players; those who multiclass and multispec. Special slap to the face for those who already invested in legendary runes. Great job Anet.

Edited by devastoscz.9851
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Did you not get to choose 3 relics for each level 80? Honestly, in general I didn't notice the loss of relics/6th bonus for the stuff I do. Going with mostly power builds, so chose the Thief relic, if that helps.

Yeah knowing that will help my reaper.

Nothing at all for my harbinger main.  

• Like 3

Relic system is trash, I mean actual massive downgrade preschool drooling terrible trash. New rune effects are lazy, and terrible. The interesting ones require insane conditions to be met, aka useless, and half of them are "on elite", which is also useless.
They need to go back to the drawing board and make actually interesting runes because right now Thief or antitoxin are essentially the only viable ones, maybe 1 or 2 of the condi ones.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

Dude, why are you gaslighting?

You are the one that feels like your life has been wasted. Your "abuse" if you want to look at it like that, is of your own creation. Not everyone shares your belief systems or worldviews, and falling back onto an argument like "well your gaslighting" is just a get-out-of-jail card to escape the question that you asked, and the argument you wanted to present as a truth.

Btw if you want to make this argument constructive: The question you really want to ask is "were some options taken away?" and the clear answer would be ya...48 unique effects were (for now) taken out of the game. Some of them might come back, some might not...some will be the same, some will be different nobody really knows.

Do you have less choices? The answer is no, because you can now also mix and match the runes with the relics...which objectively increases the number of choices available. 

Lastly, and sorry that you have to hear this but no, the game has not "wasted" any of my time, and some people probably feel the same way. If you feel that the game has wasted your time, that is how you feel and how you internalized the changes that occurred. Not everybody played Golemancer runes, and not everybody gave a kitten about RP, and especially not your specific RP.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 2