As a new player, this game is frustrating and confusing.

Myepic.9320

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

Sure. It could be better. I agree with that. But that doesn’t change the point they made. If you do not, it will be even more confusing then if you did read it. And if they ask for help, they will receive it. That’s the beauty with mmos like gw2. The community which often goes out of their way to help new players.

And the reason I informed you about your use of the word gaslighting is because you use it wrong. That was what I was pointing out. 

And I disagree. To me, that is a beautiful thing, we can just completely disagree with each other, yet still coexist! I guess that's where the term "Agree to disagree" came from eh?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

And I disagree. To me, that is a beautiful thing, we can just completely disagree with each other, yet still coexist! I guess that's where the term "Agree to disagree" came from eh?

So it cant be better in your oppinion since you disagree with freya saying it coudl be better.

Good to know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

Nothing wrong with disagreements. We are all different. However word definitions are not based on opinions and disagreements. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Freya.9075 said:

“The word "gaslighting" is often used incorrectly to refer to conflicts and disagreements. According to Robin Stern, PhD, co-founder of the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, "Gaslighting is often used in an accusatory way when somebody may just be insistent on something, or somebody may be trying to influence you. That's not what gaslighting is.

Some mental health experts have expressed concern that the broader use of the term is diluting its usefulness and may make it more difficult to identify the specific type of abuse described in the original definition.

In a 2022 Washington Post report, it was described as a "trendy buzzword" frequently used to describe ordinary disagreements, rather than those situations that align with the word's historical definition.”

Time to do your research on the word. Maybe you’ll learn something new. Learning is always good! 

/wiki gaslighting

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Well ... it is a MMORPG. MMORPG might just not be your thing then. Compared to other games (like WoW) it is a lot more friendly to new players since there is no gear treadmill and you can easily access most content.

At the beginning it is a lot to process and the wiki often might be (even for veteran players) helpful - but that is the same for other MMORPG where you need other sources. Cause they constantly get developed and end up with having a ton of stuff.

Icons - you just need to learn that. Then you know which one is the trading post. (Asking in map chat can help - since this is a multiplayer game and the community is usually helpful.)

Edit: And for the stats to use - you of course have to find your own playstyle and experiment. (Or you google some builds - if you want to play the elisist meta top efficiency stuff.) That is usually not a thing the game dictates. It is some top players that dictate the top builds that are needed to get into elitist game modes. Besides of them (raids and harder strikes) most content can be played with just a random build though.

The only thing that sometimes is bad are traps for newbs regarding money/resources. Where you might not even know that you should google/wiki this first. Festivals have stuff at a vendor expensive for tons of festival currency ... where that thing is non-bound and drops easily from some bags - and is cheap at the trading post. (For non-bound stuff that is expensive at a festival vendor always check the trading post!) That imo is bad design - there the game makes mistakes. (Also with all the ascended recipes at older maps at some vendors - that get devalued when you have too much other sources for that gear + legendaries get made available easier.)

I think wow is more new player friendly. You get gold very easy now and just go to a mount trainer and you got the mount. After some lvls go there again and you get a faster mount. Same for the flying mounts. And about gear. With the auction house its very easy to get some (good enough gear + some weapons) for not so much gold. 

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Did you do that by playing the game, or did you eat a level boost to get to 80? If you had played the game through at least the initial part of the story, all of that would have been laid out for you.

It just screams of "I boosted to 80 I don't know what to do" especially considering the Adventure Guide is literally telling people what to do and where to go to be rewarded with XP.

• Like 4

The ONE thing I wish Anet would freaking advertise/tell new players about is that "kill stealing" in the traditional sense isn't a thing. You slap mob at least once + so does other person, you both get full XP credit + loot. Don't even have to be in a party. It's amazing. Like, that was one of the selling points back when they were leading up to releasing the game. And you aren't fighting everyone else for a single piece of loot.

That said, every MMO I've played in the last 18 years has required at least some degree of looking things up/asking the community. Hek, I have to do that for normal single player games, too. What's amazing is how many resources are out there now (especially in GW2) that take almost no effort to find and use. "I'm working on this Find 50 coins achievement, the Wiki tells me the general area, but AyinMaiden on YT has guides that show me exactly where they are and how to get there." "/map I can't kill this one mob can anyone come help? half the map shows up" "How do I do the T1 Volcanic Fractal? Mukluk's T1 fractal video guide." "WHERE'S TUTTY?" (wait, wrong game)

2 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

I think wow is more new player friendly. You get gold very easy now and just go to a mount trainer and you got the mount. After some lvls go there again and you get a faster mount. Same for the flying mounts. And about gear. With the auction house its very easy to get some (good enough gear + some weapons) for not so much gold. 

You get raptor at like level 10 in GW2 now, so long as you own PoF or EoD (or maybe SoTO, too?). You get lots of "free" gear from the level up reward things, decent gear is available from the hearts for dirt cheap karma, plus the level 80 exotic gear for core stats isn't very expensive. You should make "good enough" amounts of gold while leveling (especially if you can use the TP to sell stuff).

The most difficult part is probably learning how to make gold while playing. That both is and isn't readily apparent.

(Side note: GW2 is definitely a B2P (buy-to-play) game. While the F2P is very generous for an MMO, you benefit even more B2P and don't even have to pay a sub afterward. Keeping an eye out for expac/LW sales can get you things for super cheap.)

Edited by QueenKeriti.5176
clarified B2P because I guess it's an older term now and people aren't familiar with it
  • Like 2

Maybe the big misunderstanding is that you need the expansions to unlock things. E.g. the basic game does not have mounts and gliding. A new player looks around and is seeing a lot of things which he/she only can master by playing expansions. Which takes time. 

As someone above stated, this game is about developing skills. You won't get a healing potion, or super strong swords. Quite often you buy or find something which has better stats, but you hardly notice difference. But 6 parts of gear all together combined with the right skills do make the difference. And try some other professions. Maybe you have more fun with a Necromancer with minions or an Archer. 

Did you join a Guild? In the Guild section of this forum you can ask for help and there are a lot of players willing to help you. 

And take your time enjoying lower levels to play.

1 hour ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

The ONE thing I wish Anet would freaking advertise/tell new players about is that "kill stealing" in the traditional sense isn't a thing. You slap mob at least once + so does other person, you both get full XP credit + loot. Don't even have to be in a party. It's amazing. Like, that was one of the selling points back when they were leading up to releasing the game. And you aren't fighting everyone else for a single piece of loot.

That said, every MMO I've played in the last 18 years has required at least some degree of looking things up/asking the community. Hek, I have to do that for normal single player games, too. What's amazing is how many resources are out there now (especially in GW2) that take almost no effort to find and use. "I'm working on this Find 50 coins achievement, the Wiki tells me the general area, but AyinMaiden on YT has guides that show me exactly where they are and how to get there." "/map I can't kill this one mob can anyone come help? half the map shows up" "How do I do the T1 Volcanic Fractal? Mukluk's T1 fractal video guide." "WHERE'S TUTTY?" (wait, wrong game)

You get raptor at like level 10 in GW2 now, so long as you own PoF or EoD (or maybe SoTO, too?). You get lots of "free" gear from the level up reward things, decent gear is available from the hearts for dirt cheap karma, plus the level 80 exotic gear for core stats isn't very expensive. You should make "good enough" amounts of gold while leveling (especially if you can use the TP to sell stuff).

The most difficult part is probably learning how to make gold while playing. That both is and isn't readily apparent.

(Side note: GW2 is definitely a B2P game. While the F2P is very generous for an MMO, you benefit even more B2P and don't even have to pay a sub afterward. Keeping an eye out for expac/LW sales can get you things for super cheap.)

I forgot about guildwars 2. Was long ago. Last characters i lvled with tomes. While for wow its not very long ago i lvled a new toon (for a hearthstone portrait) both games are easy. Just need motivation and interest. The raptor i totally forgot because pof release is long ago. 
for builds. I mostly create my own builds. Also in wow. I like a huge talent tree with many options. Guildwars 2 is more friendly for fast traveling because you can instantly port to the other side of the world map. But wow mounts are better because they dont have energy bars. But now i heard you can mount up in combat in soto. But dont know. I dont have the new battlepass. 

• Confused 5

So, every time you leveled up, there's a huge pop up that comes on your screen. On specific levels, they unlock specific things for you to do if you wish to. Here's a list of what probably showed up on your screen and you may have missed. If you click on the unlock it also gives you further information about them.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level_rewards#List_of_level_rewards

As for stats, you are playing a 11 years old game, there is plenty info on the internet about what's best to use for the current state on the game, however, unless you are playing instanced content, you can use whatever suits your gaming style (offensive, defensive, support).

I don't get why new players need a whole tutorial for everything on the game.. it's intuitive on how to copy and paste..

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

I forgot about guildwars 2. Was long ago. Last characters i lvled with tomes. While for wow its not very long ago i lvled a new toon (for a hearthstone portrait) both games are easy. Just need motivation and interest. The raptor i totally forgot because pof release is long ago. 
for builds. I mostly create my own builds. Also in wow. I like a huge talent tree with many options. Guildwars 2 is more friendly for fast traveling because you can instantly port to the other side of the world map. But wow mounts are better because they dont have energy bars. But now i heard you can mount up in combat in soto. But dont know. I dont have the new battlepass. 

Raptor at level 10 is a relatively recent change (I think in the last year?). They do a 10(?) hour trial of the raptor on F2P accounts. I actually like the raptor and jackal mounts because the energy bar isn't an ultra super big deal unless you're doing races. They're both pretty quick mounts, even without masteries. The raptor is all I'm using on my two paid alt accounts, and it's sooooo much better than running on foot like I have to on my core account (Thank you, whoever you were who told me "Good luck" when they saw me running through Frostgorge 😂🫠) . I've heard about the combat mounting, too, but I don't have SoTO either.

I haven't played WoW for more than 3 days several years ago because I can't stand the artstyle, GCD, how it "feels," and anything it offered vs what I was already getting from other MMOs that I was playing at the time (Aion/FFXIV).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Myepic.9320 said:

Stuff I couldn't figure it out:

Find things on the map (spend 10min trying to find the icon where you pick the things you got on the auction house)
what stats to use at lvl 80
how to craft stuff (and which ones to choose)
Import a build, the paste option was always on grey

I leveled a warrior to 80 but I'm not playing anymore. This game is not welcoming new players

The good thing about this game is that you don't need to do most of these things until you want to min-max at the endgame. And I suppose the only fault is the idea that level 80 starts the endgame, when it really is the start. So you still have a lot of the game to play, and keep progresing through the story and unlocking new maps and a lot of these things will deal with themselves.

Most of the stuff isn't even  necessary for old players to know, though stats and build will naturally make everything easier. But that's easily covered, already:

11 hours ago, Antrix.4512 said:

Let's start by googling how to use the Trading Post. The search query: "gw2 trading post guide". Voila! The first link provides a comprehensive video guide that explains everything quite clearly. Changing the search query to "gw2 trading post how to use" barely alters the results — still very informative.

Moving on. I googled "gw2 what stats to use at 80", literally posing your question to Google. And guess what? The very first link gives a pretty extensive guide for level 80. Now, let's get more specific: "gw2 what stats to use for warrior". Once again, Google comes through with ample and useful information on Reddit, a great starting point for anyone.

Other notable things to go after are mounts and gliding, as well as finding some world bosses and other meta events to do. Again, this is all largely optional, just pick what is available.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

This isn't really a game on rails where you are required to do everything. Understandably this might take some getting used  to and may not be for everyone.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

15 hours ago, Myepic.9320 said:

Stuff I couldn't figure it out:

Find things on the map (spend 10min trying to find the icon where you pick the things you got on the auction house)
what stats to use at lvl 80
how to craft stuff (and which ones to choose)
Import a build, the paste option was always on grey

I leveled a warrior to 80 but I'm not playing anymore. This game is not welcoming new players.

When I first started playing Warframe I had a similar experience. I went to the forums, absolutely exasperated and frustrated only to be told to look at the wiki, or search youtube for guides. These things were helpful but they didn't necessarily help moment to moment. 
After playing a game for so long, it's hard to remember what it was like to start from nothing.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. 

People are usually happy to answer questions in map chat in game for those "in the moment" kind of questions. You should never hesitate to ask.
You can also make posts in the Players Helping Player section of the official forums if you have more indepth questions about what build is best, or what crafting to pursue  etc.

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Myepic.9320 said:

It looks like I'm not the only one. I´m not trying to bash the game just because. I know this is an amazing game. But it needs to improve the player's experience. 

Millions have tried it, you've found a handful of complaints. Gratz on that. It's currently easier to get into than it ever has been. When we started at launch, we didn't even have a content guide with an arrow leading us around. 

Look I found five guys to back us up.   I bet I can find a bunch of people who think the earth is flat too, but I wouldn't brag about it.

• Like 8

Yeah the game was super confusing for me at the start as well. My first mmo was an open world sandbox game called Wakfu and even that game tried to make early game in a way where people felt embraced and welcomed.

Now, that game stopped the hand holding after the early game and made you enjoy a vast open world with no to little hand holding.

The OP has a point, start of game needs to embrace the player better through showing them where to trade, how to fashion, where to re-enter character creator to redo our character's look, and things like that. They could also introduce an npc early on whom you have to talk to before doing more green story quests who explains to you what Renown hearts are better, how karma is used, etc.

Asking in chat is nice and all but chat should be for advanced game questions, not simple stuff like where is the tradepost, where is ban, how does fashion work, etc

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

9 hours ago, Ghastly.3914 said:

Yeah the game was super confusing for me at the start as well. My first mmo was an open world sandbox game called Wakfu and even that game tried to make early game in a way where people felt embraced and welcomed.

Now, that game stopped the hand holding after the early game and made you enjoy a vast open world with no to little hand holding.

The OP has a point, start of game needs to embrace the player better through showing them where to trade, how to fashion, where to re-enter character creator to redo our character's look, and things like that. They could also introduce an npc early on whom you have to talk to before doing more green story quests who explains to you what Renown hearts are better, how karma is used, etc.

Asking in chat is nice and all but chat should be for advanced game questions, not simple stuff like where is the tradepost, where is ban, how does fashion work, etc

GW2 is a massive MMORPG, its attractive because its massive.  Massive means there is lots to learn, but the key factor here is that there is ZERO reason to rush and learn everything at once.    if you don't know something google it, its quick and easy and what we all do. Alternatively just work it out in game, talk to people, explore, experiment etc, this is how games have always been.  Sure Anet could spend all their resource writing help processes and guides and create less content, but those guides become dead content as soon as you know a thing.  Anet are doing the correct thing and focusing on content and letting the community develop its own guides.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't use the 80 boost.  Don't rush through, stop and read.  It's not WoW, it doesn't have pointers to everything.  It's more for you to explore and learn, and yes some things aren't as intuitive as one would expect, like crafting.  And that's where guilds, guides, and asking the community become a resource.  Mostly though, slow down and enjoy.

• Like 3

i don't remember what my experience was like when i started out. but i got to watch a friend try the game out a few days ago and it was pretty eye opening how the experience can be for others.

i'll say this. i doubt you'll find many who come prepared with hours of video guides watched and the wiki open on a second monitor when they're trying out a new game.

anyway he didn't last long. and if i hadn't been around he would've been gone way faster.

Edited by Comus.7365

15 hours ago, Comus.7365 said:

i don't remember what my experience was like when i started out. but i got to watch a friend try the game out a few days ago and it was pretty eye opening how the experience can be for others.

i'll say this. i doubt you'll find many who come prepared with hours of video guides watched and the wiki open on a second monitor when they're trying out a new game.

anyway he didn't last long. and if i hadn't been around he would've been gone way faster.

What happened to player ability to simply play and learn?  You join the game, you do the tutorial. the world opens up, you wander, kill stuff, start to gather, start thinking about gear etc etc. 

• Like 5

On 9/1/2023 at 6:58 AM, Myepic.9320 said:

It looks like I'm not the only one. I´m not trying to bash the game just because. I know this is an amazing game. But it needs to improve the player's experience. 

Funny thing is that the skills you exhibited making the above post are all that you need to figure out GW2

• Like 2