Why aren't we Rangers?

Hoan.5389

WHY!!! Why oh why, are we getting dual wield maces?  I think that a lot of other ranger mains like myself have been DYING to get the rifle!! Like seriously. I predicted the last elite spec to be "The Hunter" with the rifle as the weapon, and the new mechanic to be something along the lines of, we no longer have a pet that is up all the time, but instead we summon a pet, with like a 60 second duration, and the summon would be the spirit of the last creature we "hunted". The hunted spirits would still be animal from the pool of ranger pets, and the abilities would all be different based on, similar to the soulbeast, ferocious, versatile, deadly, and stout, with a unique ability for each animal category,  bird, cat, ursine, etc. etc. But no, we got the untamed. As a ranger main I have found every E. Spec, besides the Soulbeast, to be a huge let down. Then I hear about SOTO, and the new weapon mastery, and new weapons to come later, and I thought,  this is it, we finally are going to get a rifle. But no,  we get dual wield maces, and I think WHY?!?! Why is that every new ranger weapon takes us further away from being a ranger? The Druid Staff, yeah that fits cool. The soulbeast MH dagger... like yeah okay I guess, but I think it's a weapon we should have had base, seeing how we already have the OH dagger. But the Hammer?!? Totally loss for words on that one. Now dual wield maces.. seriously what is with all these new melee options? We are RANGERS. RANGErs. So I ask. WHERES THE RAMGE? We have 3 base range weapons. 1 additional, with the staff. On the other hand we have 2 base melee, with 2 additional melee options. Those numbers are all MH, now let's look at the OH options. OH I'd say we have 1, with the warhorn, for ranged options. For melee I'd say we have 3 melee options. Now two of those DO HAVE 1200 range skills, however, the other skill on them is a melee ranger it's more powerful,  and are limited to melee range to get the damage, in bowling about the torch and thrnaxe here. Bow we are getting 2 more melee options.bas a ranger main, I think I speak for a large majority of us ranger mains, when I say "WE EANT MORE RANGED OPTIONS!!", I think a lot of us are pretty tired of having a longbow, in EVERY SINGLE build. Ot a shortbow for condi builds. GIVE US RANGE!!! Better than a rifle, give us dual wield pistols, wi5h a mechanic similar to the hammer with different skills based on some other mechanic, but just give us the option to swap the skills based on power/condi. Or just straight up make the dual wield pistols hybrid weapons. But for thr love of Balthazar, give us SOME GODSDAMNED RANGE! Cause I don't feel like a ranger anymore. I use the same handful of builds that I've been running for years. I want a power build? Well I use 1 of my two builds. My soulbeast or my core ranger.. LB/GS. I want a condi build, well I use 1 of my 2 condi builds. I don't play support builde, but I'm sure if I did, I would have two versions., and they would use the goddamn LB. Okay I'm out of steam rant is now over. 

My fellow ranger mains, UNITE!!! tell me what yell think. 

PS, I'm not going to go back through to and fix all the typos. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 16

Double maces will be good defensive choince for zerg Play. Healing druid especially as for second weapon slot after Staff. Axe + Warhorn will find good replacement. For the defensive roaming also i guess it will be good proposition. Hammer lacks damage so i am looking forward to see double maces for my Crusaider stats + dwayna relic roaming defensive build.  As i see longbow/greatsword Rangers are new players or meme sick'em one trick pony builds. Not corresponding to the real ranger versatility play. Damage od overrated. True bueauty goes with green digits. Regen for every one around!

• Confused 1

Why ranger don't get rifle?

Players that have been around since before HoT actually got an answer from the devs around HoT release. At that time, the official stance was that the theme of the ranger is closely tied to "nature" and firearms are weapons pertaining to a theme that's opposite to nature: "technology".

10 hours ago, Hoan.5389 said:

Why is that every new ranger weapon takes us further away from being a ranger?

Because your own definition of the ranger is wrong. The "range" in "ranger" don't pertain to the reach of their weapons, it pertain to the concept of "ranging" which mean "moving or travelling freely".

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 12
  • Confused 5

you do know ranger is nothing about range ?!! 

we are not wow !!! 

why on earh i wpuld like to get boaring wepon like rifle ? what is is going to do? power dmg ? igot longbow , condi dmg ? i got shorbow , main hand axe ohh maybe support? no i have staff 

all this cover long range so rifle will add zero in terms of gamply 

i much more preffer mace we got both main and off hand and most maces are related to deffence ( which we are lack and it might be really good with druid or even with untame if the unleash will be good ) 

i cant wait for mace mace 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

7 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Because you're own definition of the ranger is wrong. The "range" in "ranger" don't pertain to the reach of their weapons, it pertain to the concept of "ranging" which mean "moving or travelling freely".

This

That is why they should remove Longbow, Shortbow, Staff, Axe, Harpoon gun and all our offhands.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

12 hours ago, Hoan.5389 said:

WHY!!! Why oh why, are we getting dual wield maces?  I think that a lot of other ranger mains like myself have been DYING to get the rifle!! Like seriously. I predicted the last elite spec to be "The Hunter" with the rifle as the weapon, and the new mechanic to be something along the lines of, we no longer have a pet that is up all the time, but instead we summon a pet, with like a 60 second duration, and the summon would be the spirit of the last creature we "hunted". The hunted spirits would still be animal from the pool of ranger pets, and the abilities would all be different based on, similar to the soulbeast, ferocious, versatile, deadly, and stout, with a unique ability for each animal category,  bird, cat, ursine, etc. etc. But no, we got the untamed. As a ranger main I have found every E. Spec, besides the Soulbeast, to be a huge let down. Then I hear about SOTO, and the new weapon mastery, and new weapons to come later, and I thought,  this is it, we finally are going to get a rifle. But no,  we get dual wield maces, and I think WHY?!?! Why is that every new ranger weapon takes us further away from being a ranger? The Druid Staff, yeah that fits cool. The soulbeast MH dagger... like yeah okay I guess, but I think it's a weapon we should have had base, seeing how we already have the OH dagger. But the Hammer?!? Totally loss for words on that one. Now dual wield maces.. seriously what is with all these new melee options? We are RANGERS. RANGErs. So I ask. WHERES THE RAMGE? We have 3 base range weapons. 1 additional, with the staff. On the other hand we have 2 base melee, with 2 additional melee options. Those numbers are all MH, now let's look at the OH options. OH I'd say we have 1, with the warhorn, for ranged options. For melee I'd say we have 3 melee options. Now two of those DO HAVE 1200 range skills, however, the other skill on them is a melee ranger it's more powerful,  and are limited to melee range to get the damage, in bowling about the torch and thrnaxe here. Bow we are getting 2 more melee options.bas a ranger main, I think I speak for a large majority of us ranger mains, when I say "WE EANT MORE RANGED OPTIONS!!", I think a lot of us are pretty tired of having a longbow, in EVERY SINGLE build. Ot a shortbow for condi builds. GIVE US RANGE!!! Better than a rifle, give us dual wield pistols, wi5h a mechanic similar to the hammer with different skills based on some other mechanic, but just give us the option to swap the skills based on power/condi. Or just straight up make the dual wield pistols hybrid weapons. But for thr love of Balthazar, give us SOME GODSDAMNED RANGE! Cause I don't feel like a ranger anymore. I use the same handful of builds that I've been running for years. I want a power build? Well I use 1 of my two builds. My soulbeast or my core ranger.. LB/GS. I want a condi build, well I use 1 of my 2 condi builds. I don't play support builde, but I'm sure if I did, I would have two versions., and they would use the goddamn LB. Okay I'm out of steam rant is now over. 

Rangers, do not mean range. Aragorn from Lord of the rings is a ranger and he spent most of his time in melee 

Ranger is a profession like beast master, hunter, woodsman and so on. Even in DnD (Dungeons and dragons) Only specific flavors or sub-classes of ranger are actually fully range, one that comes to mind is the gloomstalker. But like beastmaster and others like drakehunter are considered melee or melee hybrids. That said rifle and so on should've been added a long time ago as an "option". 

Sorry I just cant stand when someone just bases their assumptions of the class off of a word, which has never been utilized as a strictly ranged profession regardless of the game or universe they exist in.

Personally, I wanted scepter or shield. Or both. I want to delve further into the magic of tyria's nature... but rifle is for sure a good option for a core weapon addition 

Edited by Thornwolf.9721
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

Rangers, do not mean range. Aragorn from Lord of the rings is a ranger and he spent most of his time in melee 

Ranger is a profession like beast master, hunter, woodsman and so on. Even in DnD (Dungeons and dragons) Only specific flavors or sub-classes of ranger are actually fully range, one that comes to mind is the gloomstalker. But like beastmaster and others like drakehunter are considered melee or melee hybrids. That said rifle and so on should've been added a long time ago as an "option". 

Sorry I just cant stand when someone just bases their assumptions of the class off of a word, which has never been utilized as a strictly ranged profession regardless of the game or universe they exist in.

Personally, I wanted scepter or shield. Or both. I want to delve further into the magic of tyria's nature... but rifle is for sure a good option for a core weapon addition 

Mushie, the ol ranger who taught drizzt the ranger ways used a sword and shield in his combat days, his bow just being supplemental. I think the confusion about the class archetype comes from a combination of the word range being in the class name and the fact that old rpgs and fantasy games only had one weapon per class and bow was usually assigned to the ranger. That be my guess anyway. Wish off hand shield was our weapon to be, or off hand sword.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 2:03 AM, Hoan.5389 said:

The devs will probably add missing weapon sets for each xpac. This round is maces. 

On 9/5/2023 at 2:27 AM, Connla Dda.9407 said:

Double maces will be good defensive choince for zerg Play. Healing druid especially as for second weapon slot after Staff. Axe + Warhorn will find good replacement. For the defensive roaming also i guess it will be good proposition. Hammer lacks damage so i am looking forward to see double maces for my Crusaider stats + dwayna relic roaming defensive build.  As i see longbow/greatsword Rangers are new players or meme sick'em one trick pony builds. Not corresponding to the real ranger versatility play. Damage od overrated. True bueauty goes with green digits. Regen for every one around!

Was there a post as to what the mace skills are? Or are you just assuming? 

Obligatory “Ranger does not equal ranged” comment.

But also, although double mace doesn’t seem very exciting, I think it’s a relatively good choice for Ranger function wise.

If we get rifle for example, what changes? From how I see most people wanting rifle it would essentially be a re-skin of what longbow gives us. We wouldn’t have any new gameplay changes or roles or capabilities that we didn’t have before.

Right now ranger is missing a couple things: name a main hand support weapon (axe is simply a default choice amongst our main hand options), an off hand defensive weapon (dagger is focused more on evading and skirmishing rather than blocks and defense), and ranger non-projectile damage. Although we don’t know what mace would end up bringing, I can easily see if covering at least two of those roles. I’m a much bigger fan of weapons providing new function to the class that we didn’t have before rather than just looking cool.

I do admit that rifle would seem pretty fitting for the class, I just don’t like it because it would end up being longbow #2 when we should be getting actually new skills / capabilities / roles.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:11 AM, Swagger.1459 said:

Was there a post as to what the mace skills are? Or are you just assuming? 

Assuming, but not without a basis for the assumption. Weapons generally share broad themes across professions - there are some that break the rules (particularly among revenant and mesmer weapons), but generally the same weapon across different professions will have similar behaviours, filtered through the theme of the profession. For instance, we have eight professions with mainhand swords: all are DPS-oriented, mostly power; they all have a gap-closer skill; and six out of eight have some kind of channeled multihit flurry-style attack (combined with the gap closer in revenant's case).

Mace mainhand's flavour is that, with the exception of revenant, it's defensive in nature. Warrior has a block and multiple CCs, guardian has a block and a healing symbol, engineer has a barrier generating skill and a CC. Odds are therefore fairly good that mace for ranger will be a more defensive or even supportive weapon, for much the same reason that we assume that rifle would be a projectile-based power weapon.

Offhand mace is a bit harder to predict since there only is one profession with that option (warrior) and you can't really establish a pattern from one data point. Blunt weapons in general are typically associated with CC, though, so expecting offhand mace to have a CC skill is probably reasonable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Assuming, but not without a basis for the assumption. Weapons generally share broad themes across professions - there are some that break the rules (particularly among revenant and mesmer weapons), but generally the same weapon across different professions will have similar behaviours, filtered through the theme of the profession. For instance, we have eight professions with mainhand swords: all are DPS-oriented, mostly power; they all have a gap-closer skill; and six out of eight have some kind of channeled multihit flurry-style attack (combined with the gap closer in revenant's case).

Mace mainhand's flavour is that, with the exception of revenant, it's defensive in nature. Warrior has a block and multiple CCs, guardian has a block and a healing symbol, engineer has a barrier generating skill and a CC. Odds are therefore fairly good that mace for ranger will be a more defensive or even supportive weapon, for much the same reason that we assume that rifle would be a projectile-based power weapon.

Offhand mace is a bit harder to predict since there only is one profession with that option (warrior) and you can't really establish a pattern from one data point. Blunt weapons in general are typically associated with CC, though, so expecting offhand mace to have a CC skill is probably reasonable.

Isn't sword Condi not power on Warrior? 

9 hours ago, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

Isn't sword Condi not power on Warrior? 

Warrior and elementalist mainhand swords are hybrid (note that warrior mainhand sword had the coefficients buffed recently), ranger and engineer have tokenistic damaging conditions, the others are power (outside of the effects of traits and class features like Justice). Hence why I said 'mostly'.