Poll: Do you have more or less fun in the game because of relics?

Zok.4956

Do you have more or less fun in the game because of relics?  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have more or less fun in the game because of relics?

• Since the introduction of relics, I'm having more fun overall because of the relics.
    • Since the introduction of relics, I'm having less fun overall because of the relics.
    • I've dealt with the relics, but I have neither more nor less fun through relics. Some things are more fun, some things are less fun, but overall it's balanced.
    • I haven't dealt with relics yet

31 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

This poll is excellent clinical evidence that forum frequenters are disproportionately negative and unreasonable 

As much as I know that the GW2 forums are almost entirely full of trolls and doomers, I'm surprised to disagree with this sentiment. The comments on this poll may be mostly negative, but they also offer decent feedback instead of just "relics suck delete everything and move on."

Most people voted that relics are causing them to have less fun in the game. I fail to see how that is unreasonable considering the unequivocal evidence that the current relic system has severely limited buildcraft. There are like 1 or 2 relics in each category that are meta, and the rest are considered too specific or too unimpactful to be useful.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

As much as I know that the GW2 forums are almost entirely full of trolls and doomers, I'm surprised to disagree with this sentiment. The comments on this poll may be mostly negative, but they also offer decent feedback instead of just "relics suck delete everything and move on."

Most people voted that relics are causing them to have less fun in the game. I fail to see how that is unreasonable considering the unequivocal evidence that the current relic system has severely limited buildcraft. There are like 1 or 2 relics in each category that are meta, and the rest are considered too specific or too unimpactful to be useful.

I'll meet you halfway and agree also that the comments are largely fine, I meant specifically the poll results. I just see no way the majority of actual players of the game are having less fun because of relics, which are way cooler so far than the old system 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

4 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

I'll meet you halfway and agree also that the comments are largely fine, I meant specifically the poll results. I just see no way the majority of actual players of the game are having less fun because of relics, which are way cooler so far than the old system 

I think they are cool idea, but the implementation is shoddy at best and at the moment it isn't doing buildcraft any favors. About half of the relics are "have a fairly mediocre effect proc on elite/healing skill use with at 20 - 30 second cooldown," and the majority of all the relics aren't really seeing play. I think right now there are somewhere between 8 - 10 relics that the general population consider good enough to actually use in legit, non-niche builds, which is around 1/4 of all relics. Those aren't good numbers, especially when they haven't included *all* the old 6th rune effects.

They have an opportunity to make this system really solid, but a lot of people's problem is that it has had a pretty rocky start.

• Like 5

From build-crafting-perspective, relics sound good in theory. But the execution was not done properly. They have removed way too many effects, commonly used effects. I do understand the reasoning behind those decisions, but I do not like those decisions. Most of my builds used gimmick-runes with a 6th bonus that drastically enhanced them. A few builds only worked because of that effect - which are completely broken at the moment.

The meta on the other hand, as I have predicted, did not really change. They do not rely on gimmick runes and the builds are solid, balanced out around traits and stats mostly. I know a lot of people who still have not even equipped a single relic, because it does not matter.

The relics we have got on launch are nowhere near enough to fill the gap the removal of the 6th rune bonuses have caused. I understand why they have only given use those specific relics, but again I do not like that decision.

Pushing through their new balance agenda as hard and reckless as possible. Only for the sake of simplifying the complex combat system to make balancing significantly easier. If that plan does not work out, we are in serious trouble. They are in serious trouble. Replacing the balance team yet again will not do the trick this time, too much damage was done already. There is only one way out, forward.

I'll work around it, somehow. But overall it is quite a chore. The relics we have are quite bugged to say the least and functionality is often a lottery. The whole system was rushed without proper beta-testing - if at all. So running certain builds with or without a relic makes almost no difference. This is not how it should be.

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
typo/grammar?
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On the one hand I haven't really delved into it and it seems like a lot of work. I'd rather not do the busywork.

On the other hand this is just a build craft thing. It'll be a solved problem soon. It's already solved for condi reaper (aristocracy ez game).

Idk I don't think I'm fussed one way or the other. I'm a bit disappointed that some effects are no longer available but c'est la vie.

Edited by Sarrs.4831
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

I think they are cool idea, but the implementation is shoddy at best and at the moment it isn't doing buildcraft any favors. About half of the relics are "have a fairly mediocre effect proc on elite/healing skill use with at 20 - 30 second cooldown," and the majority of all the relics aren't really seeing play. I think right now there are somewhere between 8 - 10 relics that the general population consider good enough to actually use in legit, non-niche builds, which is around 1/4 of all relics. Those aren't good numbers, especially when they haven't included *all* the old 6th rune effects.

They have an opportunity to make this system really solid, but a lot of people's problem is that it has had a pretty rocky start.

Ok, but so? 90% of the rune sets never saw play before this, now more are being used. It makes a lot more sense to open up the diversity of rune sets and then let players choose their bonus.

• Confused 9
  • Sad 1

I really like the Relic system, because it gives you more flexibility and build personalization opportunities, BUT there are a lot of missing Relics: old Pack and Fireworks 6th tier bonus got completely changed for no reasons, instead of transfering it on the relative Relic, the same happend for other 6th tier old bonuses.

Talking about power Relics, here Fireworks Relic seems to be the best option for almost every power build, this should be reworked a bit. And please remove Fireworks visual effet, that is soo annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Well, if your Rune effect was a big part of your build/fun and Anet deletes said effect with no replacement whatsoever. Ofcourse people don't like it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Rune of surging. 

Stat-wise, it's similar to fireworks, that's probably why fireworks loose the movement speed (the 2 runes would have been similar) 

At the same time Pack and Chronomancer exist. (With Chronomancer being a worse version of Pack)

Overall Relics did not change much for me so far. So not much changed. Few things that would make me enjoy them more:

- more variety (very likely to happen over time)

- descriptions that actually tell you what they do (numbers) instead of the vague descriptions they have now

- not taking away legendary functionality...

- soulbound simply should not be a thing anymore. It's a stupid mechanic in a game with otherwise mostly accountwide stuff

- some visual indicator for the icd's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

It's been a few days since the relic system was introduced. So my question is whether you now have more fun in the game because of the relic system (e.g. because you can now use builds with relics that you enjoy) or not (because e.g. certain things are no longer available with relics) , or if relics are not so relevant for you.

I know, of course, that there will be additions to the relic system in the future, but my question is about what we currently have in the game.

Spoiler alert 

Spoiler

Relics, the way anet introduced them sucks canal water. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

Ok, but so? 90% of the rune sets never saw play before this, now more are being used. It makes a lot more sense to open up the diversity of rune sets and then let players choose their bonus.

I already told you that I also think the system makes more sense, but it's not flawless. You asked how relics could be causing people to have less fun, and I gave you the answer. That's all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

I already told you that I also think the system makes more sense, but it's not flawless. You asked how relics could be causing people to have less fun, and I gave you the answer. That's all.

"More fun" doesn't require a system to be flawless, just better than it previously was, so you seem to be supporting my point rather than the contrary 

• Confused 7