September 2023 Studio Update

Rubi Bayer.8493

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-july-2021/ 

"Alliances When?

This year."

"In the past, development priorities shifted away from WvW, and unfortunately both World Restructuring and our players suffered as a result. Our new leadership team views WvW as a cornerstone mode of Guild Wars 2, and it will be a focus of ours going forward."

• Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

These aren't all new, but I'll add them anyway;

- A return of the beetle racing course event

- A return of the World Boss rush

- A return of the Meta event rush

- Strike/Dungeon/Raid rush

- The return of the Skritt Shiny event

- Season 1 instances bonus week

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Bananaaaaaaa.7035 said:

What would you think about an open-world PvP week ? Too hard on new players maybe ?

There are coding issues with open world pvp in how flagging works - there was a dev statement on it and its why its kept to confined instances and post-Drakkar. Plus the backlash would be monstrous. Even Anet wouldn't risk it for the overwhelming negativity it would create

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Sigh....this update is nothing but smoke and mirrors.   Can anyone believe Anet when it comes to prioritizing WvW?   The soliciting event ideas was a nice touch, give the players something to talk about other than the fact that there is nothing concrete in this update.   Anet has no bandwidth to implement new event ideas.  They couldn't even fix the activities they have before putting them into the Dailies.  

In my opinion, if they truly cared one bit about what players want, they would write an update that addresses specific topics they are seeing on the forums and other social platforms.   We didn't need an update to know there are seasonal events (as there have been every year), we didn't need an update that said an update was coming Sept 26 (was already posted on the forums).  The only important thing I got from this was the hybrid office callout, which I guess can be taken to be an explanation of why the xpac format changed. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

WvW rifts popping up in open world with opt in pvp for when the WvW maps are full. I'd rather knock out some other tasks and be part of the rest of the game while I'm in the queue instead of scrounging on a dead border map or in EotM.  Couldn't hurt to promo WvW to other players and fill up some open world maps also. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'd like to see WvW matchups that only last for a single skirmish, or perhaps two skirmishes. It wouldn't replace normal WvW but be an optional thing to sign up for, and it's a possible tournament format that doesn't take months to complete. Something like a WvW all-star game. In my head version the rewards would be based solely on the final score, to incentivize playing to win.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mezuzel.4987 said:

I'll third that HARD NO. A week of open-world PVP is a week in which I don't log in at all.

I wouldn't mind the ability to "go hostile" like in old school Diablo 2. Literally a button I could press to fight other players that also press the button anywhere in PvE. "Fight clubs" would start popping up and that could be fun.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I wouldn't mind the ability to "go hostile" like in old school Diablo 2. Literally a button I could press to fight other players that also press the button anywhere in PvE. "Fight clubs" would start popping up and that could be fun.

No thanks, not fun for me. I had way too much of being spammed with duel requests over and over, and people dueling on top of RP sessions, in SWTOR.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, mezuzel.4987 said:

No thanks, not fun for me. I had way too much of being spammed with duel requests over and over, and people dueling on top of RP sessions, in SWTOR.

In D2 you couldn't duel in town and GW2 already allows you to block anyone who spams you so 🤷‍♂️ I think this would be a lot of fun and wouldn't interfere with players that don't use it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 9/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, illuminati.8453 said:

Sigh....this update is nothing but smoke and mirrors.   Can anyone believe Anet when it comes to prioritizing WvW?   The soliciting event ideas was a nice touch, give the players something to talk about other than the fact that there is nothing concrete in this update.

Before aug 22, I've read comments saying we were paying full xpac for a living world, they were wrong as LW maps have more content than this

Only good thing about SOTO is weaponmaster feature, everything else is disposable to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, bigmouse.2163 said:

I think Anet should consider open world PvP as an option, because of the megaserver system. They could create a map that's only for pvp'ers, and pve'ers wouldn't even have to see them or know they're there. If you want to revitalize old maps, added PvP to them would do the trick.

You just described WvW, sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If i read it right, the blog posts tells us we should not expect anything exciting anytime soon, and beyond that mentions GW2 going towards automated maintenance, and (again) delaying Alliances. And tells us also that for the rest of the year there will be even less dev communication than recently. So, when we can expect any good news?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If i read it right, the blog posts tells us we should not expect anything exciting anytime soon, and beyond that mentions GW2 going towards automated maintenance, and (again) delaying Alliances. And tells us also that for the rest of the year there will be even less dev communication than recently. So, when we can expect any good news?

I am interpreting the same thing too

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

If you have a cool idea for a bonus event—whether it’s focused on PvE, PvP, or WvW—please drop a comment on our forums.

sorry for my englisch, translatet with Deepl!

Event suggestions for WvW:
Important: It would be worth considering if some events rather, to use on a separate map like "Edge of the Mists" with overflow maps. This way normal WvW would not be affected. But the map in the edge of the mists should be replaced in general or another WvW map option should be created. (without massive deaths by fall into the deep)

Events:(run time about a week)

less effort:
- Visibility restrictions due to fog fields in the size of camp claims approx.
which appear distributed on the maps in the terrain for a longer time and also appear sometimes at other positions. All teams have the same visibility restriction effect (fog, sandstorm/snowstorm) (comparable to the sandstorm on the red borderland if controll 2 Shrines of the keep)

- combofinish buff x2 /x3 (less used combos could get stronger boosts)

- friendly fire (e.g. team players get half damage, opponents half healing)

- turn on player collision (maybe a button that allows each player to turn off his own collision for a short time)

- Bounty on strongest team or bounty on objects.
For objects: All 3 teams have the same target for 30 min, then change target, participation gives rewards).

- double effects of first aid kits at guard posts + place other offensive weapons/takticbanners to take there or somewhere else (if necessary, limit maximum usage time, or number of pickups/loads, so that they are only used at the start of fights,...)

- all players get a small stability bar (like the dragon banner which recharges slowly)

- conversion to wintermap (water becomes ice (walkable), sloped surfaces are slippery,......

- Bounty on strongest team or

- Bounty on he objects - all 3 teams have the same target (Atk/Def) for 30 min, then change target) participation gives rewards

more effort:
Mounts:
Stable in spawn with loanable mounts e.g..

1. mounts with banner/war drum:
max 3 per team, u-buff teams could use more - cooldown like tactics banners.
similar to the tactic banners in the past, which you could carry over the whole map
e.g. with effects like the dragon banner, turtle banner, centaur banner (stronger form) or completely different effects
these mounts have a reduced speed like pedestrians. Due to the mount, such players will be detected faster by the opponent.

2. new mounts with adapted skills.
possibly supplies (here Mats in the sense of food supplies) are necessary to use these mounts, or cost skill, for siege attacks, or setting up supplies.
In the turtle, only the gunner can shoot and must spend his own supplies to do so
maximum 5 turtles per object possible

3. implement different (existing) mounts descent skills
- Selectable dismounting skills e.g.
-> finnish3 downis
-> cc to 3
-> blessing/aura/barrier on 3 allies
-> area slash
-> ...

Maybe there is something suitable, or some points can be combined with something...

Edited by Tavin.7450

When you balance, please consider that

- there are skill floors (indicated by how well a player would perform after playing that build for 30 minutes) and skill ceilings (indicated how well a player would perform after spending time trying to improve themselves). Hopefully the balancing is done based on the performance who reached the skill ceiling.

-many players may react to the golem benchmark because that's the easiest indicator, but the balancing should be done based on its performance in real fights (which you can find in GW2Wingman or other sources).

Thank you.

Edited by Furball.1236
Pls balance based on the performance from someone who reached the skill ceiling. My previous version had a typo and could be interpreted the opposite way
  • Like 1

WvW Events:

• Call to War: no other reason, solo by itself (once a month or every two)
  • No Downstate (Once a quarter)
  • No Rally, downed can be revived but not rallied (test a few times to see impact)
  • No Rez of Full Dead, Full dead are released to spawn on death, if not revived downed are forced to respawn
  • Outnumbered: +5 supply capacity on top of other factors
  • Outnumbered Siege boost: Siege Damage increased by 25% for a side that is outnumbered

• Like 4
  • Haha 1