ArenaNet's Approach: Analyzing GW2's Feature Lifecycle - What Lies Ahead????

4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And what about that has to do with "luck"? If that gameplay style (wonder what exactly you mean by that -I have my guess, but I probably shouldn't need to guess to understand what you're trying to say here?) was such a sure hit and easy source of money, the competitors would be there. Perhaps the gameplay style you're talking about simply isn't as sustainable as you might think.

Maybe it is not, but it's the only thing that makes GW2 still stay above the water. The game runs (or dies, if that would happen to not be enough) on its casual population and open world gameplay, not on anything else.

• Like 8
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

My issue is that I want what we had before, not less.  

How has the game improved with the current model that wouldn't have occurred with the one prior to LS5?

its not less its more now. i tried explain math.

what everyone of us want is more stuff. but cant lie and say we have less now.

• Confused 5

17 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Hot 50 bucks spread over 23 oktober 2015 to 22 september 2017

Pof 30 bucks spread over 22 september 2017 to 28 february 2022

Eod 30 bucks spread over 28 february 2022 to 23 august 2023

Best value of the 3 expansions is path of fire with its following 2 living story seasons.

Worst is Eod with its following 1 map with 1 addition to said map.

Even worst will be SotO price wise since its 25 bucks per 12 months compared to the worst expansion that was 30 over 17 months 23 days.

Would be nice if you can explain how we somehow get more content now mate.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Hot 50 bucks spread over 23 oktober 2015 to 22 september 2017

Pof 30 bucks spread over 22 september 2017 to 28 february 2022

Eod 30 bucks spread over 28 february 2022 to 23 august 2023

Best value of the 3 expansions is path of fire with its following 2 living story seasons.

Worst is Eod with its following 1 map with 1 addition to said map.

Even worst will be SotO price wise since its 25 bucks per 12 months compared to the worst expansion that was 30 over 17 months 23 days.

Would be nice if you can explain how we somehow get more content now mate.

again Whats more 5 or 6 apple? 

i don't know how more simple i need say that. before soto u had no soto so now u have more 

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Are you trolling?  I only ask because of this post:

22 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

i don't know how more simple i need say that. before soto u had no soto so now u have more 

Or I can play your game and say it's less because 5 oranges is less than 6 oranges

simple math 🙂

Or are you under some delusion that if we were under the older system we would not be receiving any new content at all?

Edited by enigmatic.3576
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 10/6/2023 at 2:20 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Ya I am 1 mini expansion ahead of you waiting on the full SotO to come out to judge its worth.

I am thoroughly disappointed in SotO so far… and I didn’t have very high expectations for it to begin with… I went into SotO expecting a train wreck, and its turning out even worse than I expected…

I hope Anet acknowledges how poorly this mini-expansion experiment has turned out and goes back to LW & Expansions again…

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

51 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

I think I see your problem…

you are failing to grasp that even though SotO did add more content to the game, the amount of content it added is less than that of any past expansion or living world season. We paid a measly $5 less than a full expansion to get less than a third of the content of a Living World season.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

50 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Seems like its abit lost in translation here noone is saying the game have less content now.

They are saying the money they buy the content for is more for less content compared to other expansions.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Lucius.2140 said:

At this point theres a small margin of error if we call the unnounced project Guild Wars 3.

I wouldn't be surprised, if NCSoft uses Arenanet as a support studio for one of their other IPs, rather than having them work on another Guild Wars entry.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

7 hours ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

My issue is that I want what we had before, not less.  

How has the game improved with the current model that wouldn't have occurred with the one prior to LS5?

Simple: it went from "this is it, let's end the game" and move on (season 4 basically) to (hopefully) sustainable.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, enigmatic.3576 said:

Are you trolling?  I only ask because of this post:

Or I can play your game and say it's less because 5 oranges is less than 6 oranges

simple math 🙂

Or are you under some delusion that if we were under the older system we would not be receiving any new content at all?

delusional is u maybe since u said anet took content away by adding SOTO.

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Seems like its abit lost in translation here noone is saying the game have less content now.

They are saying the money they buy the content for is more for less content compared to other expansions.

I'm sure most will agree Anet devs are not stupid, and they are certainly not malicious or greedy going by their long track record.  So the problem comes simply down to perception and Cost.  Inflation is running at 8.5% a year and we don't pay a sub, so they cant increase a sub to cover. To put that into perspective, they earn 20% less than they did 3 years ago give or take - do you realise that?

As you can convert gold to gems, that's not an ever growing pot of money, and as inflation impacts real people, people pay less, so we should expect expansions costs to rise.  Personally i've been happy with all the expansions, and i get the world is more expensive just now, especially luxuries like games - so what's your answer to your perceived problem?

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

I'm sure most will agree Anet devs are not stupid, and they are certainly not malicious or greedy going by their long track record.  So the problem comes simply down to perception and Cost.  Inflation is running at 8.5% a year and we don't pay a sub, so they cant increase a sub to cover. To put that into perspective, they earn 20% less than they did 3 years ago give or take - do you realise that?

As you can convert gold to gems, that's not an ever growing pot of money, and as inflation impacts real people, people pay less, so we should expect expansions costs to rise.  Personally i've been happy with all the expansions, and i get the world is more expensive just now, especially luxuries like games - so what's your answer to your perceived problem?

thats written very well. In general i feel the mmo market has a lot make money potential.

its seems just no one  has figured out yet a way to provide content fast enough.

and once content flows in to fast population get spread thin.

the solution to this issue might come with ai, which may or may not can make the dream of a real living MMO world come true.

now MMOs stuck sadly a lot in grind and everyone has different expectations.

I watch ashes of creation which formula seems to be very old school MMO style. Im sure after this game comes out we also hear the same complains like for every other contender.

• Confused 5

13 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Maybe it is not, but it's the only thing that makes GW2 still stay above the water. The game runs (or dies, if that would happen to not be enough) on its casual population and open world gameplay, not on anything else.

Wait, so the "gameplay style" you were talking about is just.... "casual open world" and you think that's something other games/mmos don't provide as well?
Anyways, the changes they introduce -whether OP/you like them or not- are also aimed at "holding it above the water" and apparent "lack of [direct?] competition" doesn't have anything to do with luck.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I am thoroughly disappointed in SotO so far… and I didn’t have very high expectations for it to begin with… I went into SotO expecting a train wreck, and its turning out even worse than I expected…

I hope Anet acknowledges how poorly this mini-expansion experiment has turned out and goes back to LW & Expansions again…

You not liking SOTO doesn't mean the mini-expansion turned out poorly, or that it was a train wreck. If anything, all evidence has suggested otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 10/6/2023 at 1:56 PM, Assolador.3598 said:

...If you have any positive experiences with GW2, please share. All I can see now is the disheartening descent into "surprise CM maintenance mode."...

This morning my WvW guild did a two hour run and it was great fun. Part of the fun was some intricate, tough fighting in various keeps and towers. Part of the fun was all the joking and laughing and playing in our Discord vc. Tonight a group from that guild will be doing SotO strikes and I am looking forward to joining them for that. The Lab is coming up soon and folks in that guild are very much looking forward to it, as well as other Halloween fun like a guild costume contest. This December I'll get my first 6th year birthday present. OP, I don't know what the future is going to bring for GW2 and Anet. I do know however that I am still playing and enjoying GW2 right now. Yes, there are a lot of problems with the game, in WvW and in the other game modes but I am still happily romping around in Tyria every day.

13 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I think I see your problem…

you are failing to grasp that even though SotO did add more content to the game, the amount of content it added is less than that of any past expansion or living world season. We paid a measly $5 less than a full expansion to get less than a third of the content of a Living World season.

I get expansions for the Especs and new build potential.  Historically, content burns out in 3-8 weeks, regardless of how much of it there is.  There is objectively more value  in new ways to play, which compounds over time, compared to story arcs and events most people only do ONCE, and then complain about lack of content after.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lucius.2140 said:

At this point theres a small margin of error if we call the unnounced project Guild Wars 3.

Gw2 took everything great about Gw1 and burned it then spent the next decade rehashing the same old zones up till SoTo. Which while wasn't a return to a gw1 map is an homage to gw1 maps with what if scenarios and museums.

Thus we have a precedent and Anet would raise a big middle finger as they did we gw1 and once again retread the path through Core, Cantha, Elona, and the North then pop a Gw4. 

Edit: The point was be careful what you wish for however I just learned if a person alters their post then the quotes are changed as well. I got a notification that his post was altered. Currently my statement doesnt make sense with the new quoted remark but not going change it.

Edited by Doam.8305
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

10 hours ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

As you pointed out inflation affects us all so I vote with my wallet.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

thats written very well. In general i feel the mmo market has a lot make money potential.

its seems just no one  has figured out yet a way to provide content fast enough.

and once content flows in to fast population get spread thin.

the solution to this issue might come with ai, which may or may not can make the dream of a real living MMO world come true.

now MMOs stuck sadly a lot in grind and everyone has different expectations.

I watch ashes of creation which formula seems to be very old school MMO style. Im sure after this game comes out we also hear the same complains like for every other contender.

Other MMO compoind content on to the existing infrastructure. Raids, dungeons, activities, crafting, and so forth. Systems the devs have known for years thus they get more complex and refined with time. This also makes it easier to focus on whats new.

Gw2 tends to abandon systems so instead of years of dungeons, getting more complex, fulfilling, and growing with the player base. We go back to square zero each time with Dragon Response Missions, Raids, fractals, strikes, and the Moba in pvp whosd name I forget.

Nothing gets refined to the point that it can tide people over until the next launch. Rifts are simple mobs you have to flip through a menu to track and rush over to before a people wipe it out. For people there its fight break to open rift break for it to rise and show the enemies animation followd by a figgr and another break to seal the rift. Lots of waisted time to pad out things long enough for people to arrive.

Its unrefined an many simply skip as Ive noticed more and more people dont even bother hitting the mastery cap. Ever since IBS the points themeselves have become grindy, fewer, and dashed with rng. What was once a sea of a single number is now a sea of random mastery levels.

Ashes of creation will be fine as long as they provide a solid endgame and party finding that doesnt shift like gw2. Our new Soto endgame rift hunting is lacking I already gave trying to get 15 tier 3.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Doam.8305 said:

Gw2 tends to abandon systems...

They do, indeed.  And the truth is, this is just building up 'tech debt' (as it is known in development) which increases the likelihood of bugs.  At some point this approach will cause a reckoning.   

Someone else said in this thread that they thought Anet would end up being a support studio for other IP and that seems a pretty good guess, in my opinion.  They continue to hire for Unreal developers, which has nothing to do with GW2, so their focus isn't on elevating our game but rather moving on to something else that perhaps they view as more sustainable.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, illuminati.8453 said:

They do, indeed.  And the truth is, this is just building up 'tech debt' (as it is known in development) which increases the likelihood of bugs.  At some point this approach will cause a reckoning.   

Someone else said in this thread that they thought Anet would end up being a support studio for other IP and that seems a pretty good guess, in my opinion.  They continue to hire for Unreal developers, which has nothing to do with GW2, so their focus isn't on elevating our game but rather moving on to something else that perhaps they view as more sustainable.    

The reckoning comes both ways as tossing out a system for a new one is a gamble as the new system can fall short of what came before it. Rifts for example are just a more time consuming and less diverse version of bounties. Compared to raids, dungeons, fractals, and dragon response the new strikes are just boss and done no exploration involved. 

While this game doesn't have a gear treadmill and old content still exists that old content while also having been done prior doesn't push the new content. As an example a new dungeon would no doubt grant new sigils like a superior Sigil of Kryptis slaying while also help pump Soto exp mastery, relics, and achieves. But the old content be it raids or fractals does nothing to assist with the current expansion making rifts and the two strikes the current PVE endgame more so with the new legendary armor competing with the raid set.

People have been complaining about how many systems get dropped since launch with the GW1 systems and I believe its the Albatross around Anets neck preventing them from reaching the upper heights of the MMO genre. Why games that have cash shops, subs, and a box fee remain at the top of the field. A truly believe if instead of reinventing the wheel if Anet simply built up and refined that they'd be in a much stronger position. Its not just systems either the very classes themselves have been reinvented as well over the years my old Mesmer from the ground up is nothing like the class I picked all those years ago. I would have picked a different class entirely if I started today.

• Confused 3