Please remove gliding from the explorable mode of the Clock Tower

Hesione.9412

I am trying to do this, finally, as my ping interferes with me doing it on normal mode - the stuff overwhelms me before the next part of the JP turns up.

Also affected by ping - whether the game thinks I have activated my glider rather than doing a jump.

The normal mode Clock Tower doesn't permit gliding. I thought this was going to be exactly the same, except you can take your time. Which means: no gliding.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

14 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Please remove gliding from the explorable mode of the Clock Tower

Agreed. Quitet annoying to suddenly open your glider when you are used to the normal Clock Tower.

Fortunately, I will never have to enter it again after getting the achievement and the paper bag skins. 😉 The normal Clock Tower is a lot more fun. 😁

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No. Gliding is there for new ppl to not fall down and die since that would be frustrating. I also have issue with ping and you just need to press spacebar and I mean really just press it sometimes you think that you pressed it, but you actaully hold it. It is also affected by your keyboard spacebar key.

52 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Fortunately, I will never have to enter it again after getting the achievement and the paper bag skins. 😉 The normal Clock Tower is a lot more fun. 😁

Mabye I am wrong, but don't you get like 1 corn cob from it daily?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

No. Gliding is there for new ppl to not fall down and die since that would be frustrating. I also have issue with ping and you just need to press spacebar and I mean really just press it sometimes you think that you pressed it, but you actaully hold it. It is also affected by your keyboard spacebar key.

never got that unless you happen  to complete the weekly tier 1 of halloween festivites with that run.

15 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

I am trying to do this, finally, as my ping interferes with me doing it on normal mode - the stuff overwhelms me before the next part of the JP turns up.

You do understand that you're asking Arena Net to screw over thousands of other players just to give yourself a slight benefit, right?

Unbelievable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

On the one hand, its an explorable area, and Im sure there are people who appreciate being able to use the glider to explore. I saw one character using the glider to take a path to the top that would be 100% impossible in the instanced version of the clocktower and I thought that was pretty neat. 

On the other hand, the gliders are doing a disservice to anyone who is trying to practice for the timed version of the JP. 

Incidentally, I discovered that, because its an explorable area, the 25% movespeed buff from certain runesets (like travelers) apply while in the stopped clocktower. I fell to my doom about a dozen times before I realized why I was failing all the jumps I've been doing on autopilot for years.

Edited by Sevifor.1925
  • Like 1

Tips on gliders and JPs:

• Tap your space bar to jump, don't hold, that can cause your glider to pop out.
  • Press forward on your keyboard to maintain forward momentum.
  • Let go of your forward key when you are above the spot you want to land on. The game does not carry the momentum forward after you stop pressing forward during a jump and you will just drop down.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

No. Gliding is there for new ppl to not fall down and die since that would be frustrating.

Oh please, how can you fall down when there is no time pressure? The glider actually makes it harder, to be honest.

1 hour ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Apart from the reward claim, there is no special daily reward for doing the Clock Tower, unless it's a Festival Daily.

• Confused 7

1 hour ago, Peregrine Falcon.5496 said:

You do understand that you're asking Arena Net to screw over thousands of other players just to give yourself a slight benefit, right?

Unbelievable.

Right? Personally I can't do it at all because that blurry, spinning background starts giving me motion sickness in a hurry.

But rather than ask for that to be removed in favor of a static background, I just don't do that content. I'm so awful at JP's that I can't do the vast majority of them anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Oh please, how can you fall down when there is no time pressure? The glider actually makes it harder, to be honest.

I think that you have high opinion about ppl on internet. Also I "failed" explo clockwork several times since I am used to normal one. Like normal version is easier for me than explo one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Apart from the reward claim, there is no special daily reward for doing the Clock Tower, unless it's a Festival Daily.

Because not everyone is good at jumping. I fell a few times. I'm not sure why that should be scorned with "oh please". The glider made it much easier for me. And being able to quickly ascened and desend meant it was easier to pratcice specific jumps. And it achieved that because I have since completed the original version

It's also a mess around map. Having the speed boosts, gliding and other perks simply is more of a boon to many of us who use that instance for whatever means we choose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Because not everyone is good at jumping. I fell a few times. I'm not sure why that should be scorned with "oh please". The glider made it much easier for me. And being able to quickly ascened and desend meant it was easier to pratcice specific jumps. And it achieved that because I have since completed the original version

It's also a mess around map. Having the speed boosts, gliding and other perks simply is more of a boon to many of us who use that instance for whatever means we choose.

Exactly....some days I'm just not good at jumping.  I completed the timed one last year, finally mastered it.   I fell in the new one yesterday a couple of times....mostly it's late, my eyes are getting tired, I don't feel pressured to make it perfectly and it's in good fun.  I would be fine with no gliding, or an option to disable it, but for those who struggle and will never complete the timed one, I see no issue with having gliding.   

I think it's a lot of fun to be able just to hop along and actually get to look at the tower and try different steps that I might not usually use without having to outrun goop.  

Just now, Farohna.6247 said:

Exactly....some days I'm just not good at jumping.  I completed the timed one last year, finally mastered it.   I fell in the new one yesterday a couple of times....mostly it's late, my eyes are getting tired, I don't feel pressured to make it perfectly and it's in good fun.  I would be fine with no gliding, or an option to disable it, but for those who struggle and will never complete the timed one, I see no issue with having gliding.   

I think it's a lot of fun to be able just to hop along and actually get to look at the tower and try different steps that I might not usually use without having to outrun goop.  

Precisely. And very good for screenshots too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Tips on gliders and JPs:

• Tap your space bar to jump, don't hold, that can cause your glider to pop out.
  • Press forward on your keyboard to maintain forward momentum.
  • Let go of your forward key when you are above the spot you want to land on. The game does not carry the momentum forward after you stop pressing forward during a jump and you will just drop down.

Half the time I tap, the game doesn't register I have done a jump and basically ignores the key press, and I fall.

The tips you mention are affected badly by ping. 😞

In addition, I use a foot pedal to jump.

TBH if Anet would just let us use a separate key for jumping and gliding, this problem would disappear completely.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hesione.9412 said:

Half the time I tap, the game doesn't register I have done a jump and basically ignores the key press, and I fall.

The tips you mention are affected badly by ping. 😞

In addition, I use a foot pedal to jump.

TBH if Anet would just let us use a separate key for jumping and gliding, this problem would disappear completely.

Well, I can't help your ping problems. I suggest you take the advice up thread on disabling double tap to glide.

18 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Because not everyone is good at jumping. I fell a few times. I'm not sure why that should be scorned with "oh please".

Sorry to hear that.

I find the gliding annoying, because I tend to press the spacebar a little longer than required during this JP and keep forgetting that I can glide in this version of the Clock Tower, resulting in unwanted almost-fall-offs. 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sorry to hear that.

I find the gliding annoying, because I tend to press the spacebar a little longer than required during this JP and keep forgetting that I can glide in this version of the Clock Tower, resulting in unwanted almost-fall-offs. 😄

This really threw me on first run of the explorable one lol.  I did not expect it, but I think it's really nice for anyone who struggles.

• Like 1