Hurl Venomous Axes with the Thief’s Expanded Weapon Proficiency

Rubi Bayer.8493

• ArenaNet Staff

Expanded weapon proficiencies are coming in 2024 during the second major update for Secrets of the Obscure. When that feature arrives, each profession will have access to a new weapon, and today’s topic is the thief’s axe.  You'll be able to try out all the new weapon and profession combos in November 28's beta event!

e2937Thief-Axe-04.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

That looks fun.

I created a Specter (and a virtually unused ascended axe) but I don't play it nearly all that much...

But Axe/Dagger sounds like a lot of fun. The Scepter is boring for everyday combat.

I assume Torment was a critical condition to include for this to give Specter another weapon option.

Edited by Roadkizzle.2157
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I've now been made hopeful that we're getting Main-Hand and Off-Hand Axes... Really hope that wasn't a mistake on the writer's end - just a Main-Hand already didn't sit right as we're much shorter on off-hands.

But I guess we'll see, it sounds quite interesting on paper anyway. 

EDIT: Well aware of their original statement from months ago that it'd only be Main-Hand. However, on this today's post they messed up.

Their writer team has reworked their post now, but originally it said "Weapons: Main-Hand and Off-Hand Axes".

Edited by Vornollo.5182
Clarity/Context for muppets.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 8

18 minutes ago, psizone.8437 said:

Time to dye my thief pink and cosplay as a mirage!

That's the exact same though I had upon seeing this -I'm really hoping that the axe skills behave and function differently enough to differentiate themselves from the other, more purple torment-applying axe weilder in the game

Mirage was subject to a lot of homogenization lately with the nerfs, and I was outspokenly critical against that - I was also outspoken in favor of the recent balance updates, however, as they were a step forward. I'm hoping this isn't going to end up as "two steps backwards".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Vornollo.5182 said:

I've now been made hopeful that we're getting Main-Hand and Off-Hand Axes... Really hope that wasn't a mistake on the writer's end - just a Main-Hand already didn't sit right as we're much shorter on off-hands.

It was originally announced that it would just be a main-hand axe, and you've unfortunately been fed misinformation if you believed otherwise

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vornollo.5182 said:

They removed the twit that said "Dual Axes", it just main hand axe, confirmed since the anouncement of new weapons

14 minutes ago, LichOverlord.6329 said:

It was originally announced that it would just be a main-hand axe, and you've unfortunately been fed misinformation if you believed otherwise

Well aware of their original statement from months ago that it'd only be Main-Hand. However, on this today's post they messed up.

Their writer team has reworked their post now, but originally it said "Weapons: Main-Hand and Off-Hand Axes".

ANet's own writers fed the misinformation, lmfao.

Just now, Vornollo.5182 said:

Well aware of their original statement from months ago that it'd only be Main-Hand. However, on this today's post they messed up.

They probably assumed that since guardian, necro and ranger got 2 weapons that everyone else did 😛 Alas...... we don't do fairness here.

18 minutes ago, Vornollo.5182 said:

Oh, I didn't even see that - good catch!

while i like the first little tidbits of info given about axe being ranged, i dont think its going to see the light of day on other builds. reason why is, specifically on specter, the base initiative is going to hurt the usage of this weapon. Specter is going to benefit the most from it from torment and the torment benefitting/applicating traits, but cannot use it fully due to the reduced base initiative. @Cal Cohen.2358