WvW Update: Guild Hall Arenas and World Restructuring Beta

Rubi Bayer.8493

lol, you got me, was expecting this under the the Restructure sub-forum.

Repasting questions 🙂 :

"Alliances: Alliances refers to an additional group-management system on top of World Restructuring that would allow multiple smaller WvW guilds to band together as a single entity for team creation. For now, we are focused on developing the best version of the team-building algorithm and maximizing the player experience at the WvW guild level. It’s worth noting that the current planned player cap for an alliance is 500, which is identical to the current max roster size for a single guild. In other words, guilds as they currently exist can be used as a proxy for alliances.

Team Transfers: Once a match has started, there will not be a way for a player to initiate a transfer between teams. Players will need to wait until the next team-creation event or season to be placed with a different guild. To help mitigate this in the short term, we’ll be reducing the duration of a season from eight weeks to four weeks."

So the Alliance part is pretty straight forward but mixes with the team transfer bit some. Can we get some additional details on transfers and community guilds? So players form a community guild for a sort. After the sort is done can they rep their own guild so that the group can make sure it has enough claim buffs for objectives and upgrades. Is this feasible or are they locked into their own guild for the next sort and then lose the community guild options? Or as long as they reform before the next sort they can still group up? We never had any Alliance betas so didn't get to test this option.

"Currently, guild halls are limited to using PvE game balance rules, creating a very different combat experience than what’s found in WvW or PvP. In January, we’ll be adding a new option that allows you to choose whether your guild hall arena uses PvE, WvW, or PvP game-mode balance for play. Additionally, we’ll be introducing options to allow you to extend PvP combat outside the confines of the guild arena, meaning you can battle your friends across the entire map. Skyscale aerial duels, anyone? We look forward to seeing what you do with your new battlefields when this feature goes live in late January!"

Again assuming and hoping am reading this right. So we will be able to make the entire Guild Hall into a WvW arena with multiple teams options? So players that are just crafting can do so while others can jump in and join a team and can have it with others on various teams outside of those not on teams? How many teams will players be able to join, 3 or more?

I question whether 4 week rotation instead of 8 is needed, as the reason why you would recreate is to reshuffle the population imbalances.

But WR addresses this by recreating around those big groups and bandwagoners, so they have no reason to jump servers.

Since there's no transfers at all (until it's implemented down the line), there's basically no huge imbalance that would happen in order to have faster recreates.

It's only there for the new people that join WvW (vets should already be with their guild in their worlds).

So really, do we need 4 week disruptions because of new players? Is there really that much of an influx of new wvw players every month?

Another question related to this, are new players going to be able to pick a world to join? or randomly tossed into one as needed at the time they first join? I'm assuming there's going to be a function to keep the worlds closely balanced for new joiners.

Because players could just make alt accounts to jump to another server to get around transfers. Mind you ftp accounts aren't in good shape for wvw because of meta specs, and paying to upgrade to expansion every time would be insane, but it could still be a thing.

• Like 1

I made my own thread with these ideas but I was directed that it would be wise to also place them here.  Apologies if there are any duplicate ideas:

With Guild Halls expanding the PvP possibilities of the whole map, I thought it might be nice if we could also get some new 'toys' to take advantage of this.  If these exist, let me know.  I'm unaware of their existence currently.

• A 'container' npc/item like is typical in your normal 'collection' events.
  • Items that can be picked up but are unique in their existence and respawn when the item is placed in an appropriate container or drops upon death of the holder.  Potentially have the item be able to be thrown via special action key.  Item should also mark the player holding it, either via fixation marker (like Samarog or Slothasor) or a commander-like tag.  Should also mark player on map/minimap
  • Custom place leylines/updrafts.  This would enable aerial combat and open up the map for strategic placement to enable qiuck map traversal for escape.  Would be nice to be the ones you have to activate to enable their strategic use.

These would enable a variety of capture-the-flag / ultimate frisbee / football style competitions.  You could start an 'event' and have containers placed at different areas of the map; one 'ball' that has to be carried across the map to capture it.  Alternatively, the ley lines/updrafts would also enable group deathmatch pvp combat, but with the ability to mount up or ley line for a strategic retreat/regroup.

Also note that custom updrafts and leylines would also benefit the racing community.  I'm sure there are many who would love to race around on leylines.

Edited by Confirm.9702

We’ve also added some new metrics to our team-building algorithm to help create more balanced matches, taking into account commanders, time zones, and more.

OMG THIS IS HUGE. i was skeptical at best since it seemed like time zones were gonna be left out but now i'm pretty confident that this restructuring will work. you're even considering server manders. awesomeee. guys. this is massive. am curious what else you guys are taking into account when creating teams tho. any shares?

To achieve our goal of getting World Restructuring into a 24/7 beta state, we’re postponing development on the following features for the initial release of World Restructuring, although they’re on our list for possible future improvements.

wth does this mean? are you guys gonna add alliances and team transfers or not? if so do you have a time frame? 6 months? 1 year? its pretty essential stuff

Edited by Stand The Wall.6987

1 hour ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

I question whether 4 week rotation instead of 8 is needed, as the reason why you would recreate is to reshuffle the population imbalances.

its nice to not have to fight the same ppl for 2 months for no reason other then thats how it is. it would probably be better to reshuffle every week since one of the biggest threats to this new system is being stuck in a matchup you can't win

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Stand The Wall.6987 said:

its nice to not have to fight the same ppl for 2 months for no reason other then thats how it is. it would probably be better to reshuffle every week since one of the biggest threats to this new system is being stuck in a matchup you can't win

What? you can fight new people every week. WR is changing who you're with, not against(that already happens with new matchups every week due to 1u1d).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, psizone.8437 said:

Guildhall changes are one step away from being able to make a proper functional battle royale mode.

Just need a timed shrinking killzone.

I could very well be wrong but I don't the the guild hall changes include "every other player is an enemy" capability.  It would be a great option to have.

26 minutes ago, blp.3489 said:

I could very well be wrong but I don't the the guild hall changes include "every other player is an enemy" capability.  It would be a great option to have.

The guild arena already has this, there's a free for all npc you can talk to. 

If they're simply extending it to the whole hall, the capability is there.

• Like 1