Why are the story quests so effing hard? Why?

Spicoli.6807

Getting absolutely wrecked. Not even coming remotely close to completing it. Same quest I was stuck on 2 years ago when I left. I just wanna get to the new content. My god. I researched my role, greastsword reaper. Im doing the rotation the guides recommend... yet IM GETTING WRECKED.  I have all orange-con Berserker gear. Can't find anything better on the market than what I have.

This stupid Battle for Fort Trinity story quest. Here I am leaving again because I can't progress past this poorly tuned quest.

Literally hanging on by a thread again in this game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 3

Wouldn't that be the part of the mission where it says "RUN AWAY !!" and endless waves of ennemies keep coming until you actually run away deeper inside the Fort ? Provide more details ty.

Everything in that first part of the story (Zaithan storyline) can be done solo (except the very last mission/dungeon), and it was made before Reaper even existed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Just to give you a heads up, newer content - esp season 2 through HoT -  is considerably harder than core content. Fort Trinity should be fairly straightforward. What’s causing the bottleneck?

You can also skip to any storyline you wish. There is nothing stopping you playing newer content that you have bought except spoilers (which I understand)

1 minute ago, Tythan.2936 said:
Everything in that first part of the story (Zaithan storyline) can be done solo (except the very last mission/dungeon), and it was made before Reaper even existed.

Just as an fyi, the last mission has long been made a solo instance

• Like 3

Its a few minutes into the. quest and it says to "defend the gate". The NPCs run to the gate, I follow. I get behind them so they attack and get aggro first. Then like 4-5 large mobs and a bunch of smaller ones spawn and I just get wrecked. I mean Im not even within an order of magnitude from completing. Just absolutely getting wrecked. No permutation of builds is going to overcome how bad Im getting wrecked. It almost seems bugged it seems so undoable.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Spicoli.6807 said:

Its a few minutes into the. quest and it says to "defend the gate". The NPCs run to the gate, I follow. I get behind them so they attack and get aggro first. Then like 4-5 large mobs and a bunch of smaller ones spawn and I just get wrecked. I mean Im not even within an order of magnitude from completing. Just absolutely getting wrecked. No permutation of builds is going to overcome how bad Im getting wrecked. It almost seems bugged it seems so undoable.

Yep, that's the part where you're supposed to fight a bit then run. Read what the NPCs are saying, they tell you to leave and close the door while they hold on.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Spicoli.6807 said:

I researched my role, greastsword reaper. Im doing the rotation the guides recommend..

Keep in mind that if you went for a group content dps build, they'll drop optional self-sustain options in favor of maximizing dps because in groups other players are relegated to sustain your health.

And as mentioned in other posts, pay attention to what your objective is, because it's not always "kill everything that moves".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Honestly, GW2 struggles with content challenge. A large chunk of the game is overly easy, while you randomly hit walls of super difficult content. In general, I agree with the notion that many of the LW story instances are over-tuned for solo players and should not be. There were times I broke into maniacal laughter about how over the top some boss encounters were to the point of being a slog and not fun at all. 

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 7
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Einlanzer.1627 said:

Honestly, GW2 struggles with content challenge. A large chunk of the game is overly easy, while you randomly hit walls of super difficult content. In general, I agree with the notion that many of the LW story instances are over-tuned for solo players and should not be. There were times I broke into maniacal laughter about how over the top some boss encounters were to the point of being a slog and not fun at all. 

I agree the story instance difficulty is inconsistent and sometimes it jumps unpredictably, but this isn't one of those times. What the OP is trying to do is literally impossible - even if you were somehow able to kill all the enemies coming at the fort (which you can't) it wouldn't move on to the next step. The only thing you can do which will work is run inside the gate and activate the two levers marked with green stars to close it, which is what you're told to do.

The instructions change from "Defend the gate" to "Fall back inside Fort Trinity" when the giants and other additional enemies appear, and if I remember correctly there's a big green arrow on the map pointing into the gate, then it tells you to use the gate switches.

You have to do that two more times in different locations, then you can start fighting back.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Einlanzer.1627 said:

There is literally one story boss that is way too difficult and it's the golem at the end of the Olmakhan instance, and I think it's deliberate cause you don't really die in that fight, the shamans just revive you when you're downed. The rest is seriously easy and I say that as a bad player who's never even dreamed of doing raids or strike missions (and occasionally gets yelled at in tier 1 fractals). I don't understand how anyone could find GW2 story missions all that hard unless they have a serious disability.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

30 minutes ago, Ariurotl.3718 said:

There is literally one story boss that is way too difficult and it's the golem at the end of the Olmakhan instance, and I think it's deliberate cause you don't really die in that fight, the shamans just revive you when you're downed. The rest is seriously easy and I say that as a bad player who's never even dreamed of doing raids or strike missions (and occasionally gets yelled at in tier 1 fractals). I don't understand how anyone could find GW2 story missions all that hard unless they have a serious disability.

Some players are more able than others.  What you find "seriously easy" other find taxing or at least frustrating.  I'm sorry that you can't understand how others can have difficulty with story missions.  Not everyone is as apt as you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Some players are more able than others.  What you find "seriously easy" other find taxing or at least frustrating.  I'm sorry that you can't understand how others can have difficulty with story missions.  Not everyone is as apt as you.

Again, I am awful. I am a skill-clicker. I'm old. I have terrible reaction times. When I say it's easy, it's easy unless you have a disability.

• Like 11
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spicoli.6807 said:

This stupid Battle for Fort Trinity story quest. Here I am leaving again because I can't progress past this poorly tuned quest.

You don't have to kill everything. Your UI should update onto the next directive, which is you retreating into the next area. This story mission is super easy, you just have to pay attention. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Every time I got wrecked in a story instance it was because I wasn't doing the mechanic of the story. Whether its an auto wipe mechanic or trying to fight something you're not supposed to. When I first came back years ago to PoF for the first time I was getting mega wrecked. It was my build. In the Fort Trinity mission - you're just not paying attention to what you need to do and fighting things you don't need to fight.  

As a reaper, you shouldn't really die - ever. You have two health bars and a ton of health steal. If you didn't go with an overworld PvE build, but went immediately to snow crows, then make sure you check out Masel or Lord Hizen. Both of them have extremely solid/unkillable builds for every class. For reaper it isn't the gear, its the skills and how to use them that matter most. Berserkers gear is fine, but you can go with +vit in marauders instead if you need more health. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

There are definitely some boss fights in story instances that are more challenging than others. Season 2 in particular if I'm remembering correctly.

I generally manage to get through them, though, and it is the achievements that can be tough for me. Specifically, the timed kill achievements. I'm a coward, so my builds tend to favor survivability over dps when soloing, so finishing off a boss fight quickly is not always something I can do. At best, I annoy the boss by being too resiliant. 😁

Edited by Tanek.5983
  • Like 2

It is "scripted".  You have to do specific actions at specific time.

If its "attack", you attack, if its "pull back", you run back.

If you follow "script", its patheticaly easy. You can literaly do it naked and blinded. If you don't follow script, it is impossible. Even 50+ squad couldnt do it. Because its "scripted".

All story line missions are like that. Just that some (mostly the first ones) have only one "script". Go to point A and attack. Your mission has more then one part. 1. go to point A, attack, 2. run back to point B, attack.

• Like 3

Compain: Sometimes Code 7 happens. And i need to repeat story quest. It is end of mission, so a lot of to repeat, the game could quicksave before final cutscene.

The invulnerable enemies make boss fight a chore. Good i need to run it only once unless...

There is no teleport to verdant brink and crystal desert, so need to run some stupid quest to get my mastery points, ok VB you can walk, but a scroll would be better.

You can try reading wiki description of quest, maybe you are missing something.

You can go for some open world survival builds. Like Celestial berserker. Or Traiblazer Necro.

Full kitten dps raid heal me pamper me build could die alot. Or just gitgut.

The hp in missions do not reset, so you can just respawn and brute force it.

Edited by evilcat.6817
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

The Mystery Cave would like a word, too.

Okay, that one isn't as easy as "The Battle for Fort Trinity", but it is also very easy once you get the hang of it and avoid certain AoEs and kill the spawning add with the Divine Fire before it can extinguish a flame.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Spicoli.6807 said:

Getting absolutely wrecked. Not even coming remotely close to completing it. Same quest I was stuck on 2 years ago when I left. I just wanna get to the new content. My god. I researched my role, greastsword reaper. Im doing the rotation the guides recommend... yet IM GETTING WRECKED.  I have all orange-con Berserker gear. Can't find anything better on the market than what I have.

Literally hanging on by a thread again in this game.

gear

• Like 1
  • Confused 5