Gliding should be disabled in combat permanently

Riba.3271

Just now, Chiral.8915 said:

Mounts too while we're at it.

Tbf, you can't mount up while fighting or to escape from a fight. So mounts are quite different and don't ruin combat situations as much

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

I'll raise....remove both glider and mount from wvw, return that little bit of dread feeling that came with wandering around the map. Mounts removed that and pushed wvw more into the direction of only caring about the destination vs the journey, was a big mistake by anet.

• Like 5
  • Confused 8

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, urd.8306 said:

Gliding and mounts were the only good things they did in WvW in the last years.

Suggestion was not to remove gliding completely, just in combat situations.

Having always gliding might be better than not having gliding at all, but it doesn't mean it is better than only having it available out of combat. Such system will still allow fast traversal.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Why not just disable and remove WvW permanently? Since this mode can't generate much revenues for ANet hence very little attention was given to it and it received no upgrades or changes over many years but only lies and deceits. By looking at the quality of their work over these few years, isn't it pretty obvious that they are having severe manpower issues? They won't do anything to wvw before, definitely not now.

And, also because of many players learn-to-play issues, almost all heavy nerfs and professions killing patches were originated from the complaints here and indirectly causes collateral damage to other modes, in particular PvE. Just remove it. No more lies, no more headaches. Focus on PvE if you CMI here, ANet.

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I'll raise....remove both glider and mount from wvw, return that little bit of dread feeling that came with wandering around the map. Mounts removed that and pushed wvw more into the direction of only caring about the destination vs the journey, was a big mistake by anet.

Agreed.

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

Gliding should be disabled in combat permanently...

.. Because it is both fun and fair

First off no, you remove reasons to control areas and reduce strategic options to control various part of the maps.

Second you dumb down combat and remove tactics here. Players gliding are simply dropped and downed with CC so there is already counter play and you further reduce reasons for sides to control part of the maps that add strategy to what you win or lose in a given map. Maps need more complexity for this reason.

We need more strategic game play versus less to keep players engaged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:
13 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

First off no, you remove reasons to control areas and reduce strategic options to control various part of the maps.

Maps were designed without defenders having gliding available. On the contrary, one could argue those strategic aspects are reduced, such as how much high ground benefits attacker by gliding being available only to defenders.

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Second you dumb down combat and remove tactics here. Players gliding are simply dropped and downed with CC so there is already counter play and you further reduce reasons for sides to control part of the maps that add strategy to what you win or lose in a given map. Maps need more complexity for this reason.

Since attackers, especially small groups or solo players that lack burst damage, can't finish opponents on high ground, they will always opt to stay away from that high ground. Gliding only being available to one side actually leads the map to have less complexity, as lot of the area won't be opted to be played in.

Vast majority of CC skills are ground targeted or melee so CC finishing is limited to only couple of weapons... And even then the CC, such as iconic ranger bow 4, won't last long enough if the player is high enough to die from falling damage.

9 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

But I love being able to shoot players out of the sky to their death as they glide.

You would get much more opportunities to knock enemies off ledges if they didn't have gliding available. Also CC skills don't last long enough to finish when gliding high enough.

I do agree that falling damage deaths are hilarious, and actually without gliding you would see 3+ times more of them with both sides being unable to glide and more teams opting to fight at such locations...

Also do not worry as they can still start gliding out of combat. So you can still do your favorite activity at iconic locations such as NE and NW tower. Did you miss the in combat -part? You will get best of all worlds, knocking people to their death when attacking or defending and when they're gliding.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

17 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I'll raise: Add back in the old map event, where you could fire a big cannon in the desert, have some NPC factions really mix things up. And bring back the big ball you could steal from enemy keep. Bring more dynamics back to WvW.

If you add more travel time, while doing nothing about the "numbers matter most" thing, at least give the runners more things to do.

Or don't and simply keep gliders and mounts as they are. It's fine IMO.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, nthmetal.9652 said:

I'll raise: Add back in the old map event, where you could fire a big cannon in the desert

As much as I like this suggestion, think about why it was removed and how it relates to the current topic of discussion.  The last thing the hamsters need is more things that will crash the servers their little legs are powering.

7 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

You would get much more opportunities to knock enemies off ledges if they didn't have gliding available. Also CC skills don't last long enough to finish when gliding high enough.

I do agree that falling damage deaths are hilarious, and actually without gliding you would see 3+ times more of them with both sides being unable to glide and more teams opting to fight at such locations...

Also do not worry as they can still start gliding out of combat. So you can still do your favorite activity at iconic locations such as NE and NW tower. Did you miss the in combat -part? You will get best of all worlds, knocking people to their death when attacking or defending and when they're gliding.

This is an illusion of choice.  It's like taking away the pickled cascabel chilies as a hamburger topping at In-N-Out (real story, the chain was having supply issues) and saying "There's other pickles if you like the piquant flavor.".

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

Maps were designed without defenders having gliding available. On the contrary, one could argue those strategic aspects are reduced, such as how much high ground benefits attacker by gliding being available only to defenders.

To be honest how is that an argument. Gliding and mounts improved the maps by a lot, especially Desert and EBG. Additionally saying something wasn't designed with x in mind works for all features.
"GW2 fighting system wasn't designed with three dodges on thief in mind"
"GW2 siege system wasn't designed with Shield Generators in mind"
Things change over the time which is quite normal not only for GW2 but most things like in "Humans weren't designed with full access to carbohydrates in mind that spike your insulin" still nobody thinks we should go back living in caves.

There isn't much high ground advantage in GW2 more like the opposite since AoE are ball shaped and ignore LoS and make walls a death trap. The only advantage is that the range changes a bit.

While gliding especially in Desert is mostly an defender advantage anyway because of the keep design.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

This is asking Arenanet to make your enemy stop running so you can hit them.

13 hours ago, SweetPotato.7456 said:

On 1/9/2024 at 11:08 AM, Riba.3271 said:
On 1/9/2024 at 2:00 AM, Chaba.5410 said:

But I love being able to shoot players out of the sky to their death as they glide.

This is asking Arenanet to make your enemy stop running so you can hit them.

I played the gamemode back when gliding wasn't part of it, and I can confidently say that combat situations are more alluring if defenders don't have gliding available. I do not get your logic since I also defend and the change wouldn't only affect enemies. I just think the game would be better, and I wouldn't actively try to make game I play regularly worse would I?

Also, please, when quoting replies, please include the messages replied to as context is very important. I added the missing part to avoid further misunderstandings.

• Confused 1