Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

On 5/7/2024 at 9:01 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

2. second safest option: make a new MMORPG but with a different audience, setting and IP. Already risky because now you are competing within your own products, but actually sustainable. Just to reiterate though: MMORPGs in general are VERY risky and costly endeavors

Well IMO that is the worst option. It's definitely a big advantage to have a big IP, brand behind your mmorpg.

Many here talk how mmorpgs lately all fail. But I wonder do they really fail where it matters to the companies (revenue) or they just fail to keep relevance for more than a few years. Yeah these 2 can be related but not necessarily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Many here talk how mmorpgs lately all fail. But I wonder do they really fail where it matters to the companies (revenue) or they just fail to keep relevance for more than a few years. Yeah these 2 can be related but not necessarily.

Both. AAA tier MMORPGs are extremely costly to develop and support, and need years, and big playerbase to pay for themselves. Without those, they are a straight investment loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Well IMO that is the worst option. It's definitely a big advantage to have a big IP, brand behind your mmorpg.

There a tons of brands to go for if a "big" brand name is needed.

Let's also not overinflate how big the Guild Wars IP is in that regard.

23 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Why does this have to be either or? The reality is: the issues are far more complex.

1. A new mmorpg can never compete content wise with established games. Literally impossible. All new mmorpgs can do is provide is promise and possibilities that if most of the decisions going into them are well accepted and made

2. Mmorpgs do not fail "lately". This genre has been failing ever since its conception. Most players simple never notice the vast amount of mmorpg deaths on the sidelines. The last time mmorpgs didn't fail was when ultima online went live or when WoW released (and WoW released very unfinished and unpolished). WoWs success merely hastened the demise of some more niche mmorpgs of the time

3. The market is saturated and a large part of the customers are invested or have been invested in different products and have preexisting expectations. Even players not actively playing a mmoprg have expectations, even if those are not met by current games. It's very difficult to tap into this pool when not reinventing the wheel. Reinventing the wheel brings risks of not being appealing to your target audience

4. Size of the studio is not all deciding, but will help massively improve the already small chance of success. Imagine if Final Fantasy 14 was never reworked, it wouldn't be the behemoth it is now years later. Years of organic growth after spending a ton of extra money to completly reimagine the game post failed launch. 

What we have right now is a blank slate in regards to GW3, and as blank slates go, people can imagine almost anything into them. Even that the game will be without flaws and address any and all issues players currently might have with existing titles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Games that survive have broad player types and are not niche or only about 1 mode of gameplay. WoW is king because it can fill every niche and game type, getting bored running around questing? then join a dungeon group, or a battleground, do some pet battles against other players, etc. I think people judge wow on its looks, but its actually successful despite them because you can do anything in that game and its fun. Not many MMO's can most fail thats true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Games that survive have broad player types and are not niche or only about 1 mode of gameplay. WoW is king because it can fill every niche and game type, getting bored running around questing? then join a dungeon group, or a battleground, do some pet battles against other players, etc. I think people judge wow on its looks, but its actually successful despite them because you can do anything in that game and its fun. Not many MMO's can most fail thats true.

Last I played WoW I did get bored of PvE and hopped into a battlground. It was full so that was nice. And it consisted of me, I think maybe another player and the rest was bots running in a straight line after each other. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Last I played WoW I did get bored of PvE and hopped into a battlground. It was full so that was nice. And it consisted of me, I think maybe another player and the rest was bots running in a straight line after each other. 

I've seen players lose against the AI enemy parties during the Island Expeditions in Battle for Azeroth, so never over-estimate player capabilities.

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Reminds me of Jade Quarry in GW1

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can Barely handle the way everything "cool" is behind the Shop or a 0.0001% drop o whole year map farm to get to even imagine how the monetization will works on a Possible gw3. Don't mind me i know games are made to get money for i has been here for 10 years and i find gw2 used to be very awful game that forces you to buy all the shiny stuff and be stick to a eternal farm of the same thing for a "New" Gloves but compared to HOW NEW games run and how the Industry goes Nowdays is more tha fine to let me appreciate gw2.

Is they're Smart GW3 could be a Remake of current gw2 on new graphic motor Like other games has do, FF14 Just did it recently in his time DOFUS did as well porting all his flash game to java and goes again to do it with unity. Both games are Bigger and have "expansions" and all gets updated so is "POSSIBLE"  Desicions rely on them because gw3 or not it affects gw2 player base any fiasco there will hurt gw2.

The only way i give a try to a possible gw3 is because my friends if i want a new fresh start  i do in another game like a did in Baldur's Gate 3, Like i did in TESO,Like i did in WoW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

How on earth can someone think friday/saturday 8 p.m. is primetime for any gaming? In my world, that's the time when you start enjoying your weekend with your friends and/or family. Regulary gaming at that time seems rather weird to me 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

How on earth can someone think friday/saturday 8 p.m. is primetime for any gaming? In my world, that's the time when you start enjoying your weekend with your friends and/or family. Regulary gaming at that time seems rather weird to me

Playing games is EXACTLY how many people start enjoying their weekend. Not everyone is a family person.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

How on earth can someone think friday/saturday 8 p.m. is primetime for any gaming? In my world, that's the time when you start enjoying your weekend with your friends and/or family. Regulary gaming at that time seems rather weird to me 😄

That's when I can play with my friends online because that's usually when we're all available. :x My family lives nowhere near me, my friends live nowhere near me, and going out is expensive. I also like video games WAY more than going out and physically dealing with people, especially after being around people all day five days a week for work.

Y'all overbearing extroverts are something else. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nash.2681 said:

You are asking an audience that plays a game where "/wiki ET" exists so 99% of the events are on a scripted schedule and not "spontaneous" where a map goes from quiet to "THE META IS STARTING LETS GO!!!!!" in 5m how 8pm on a weekend evening is not gaming time. I guess when that was revealed (and I looked) about that command is when the veil of the machine behind GW2 was like "oh... now I'm really disappointed." I guess the one thing I hope GW3 doesn't have is this strict event scheduler and requires people who want to do a specific meta to actually be present and play the map as opposed to showing up 10m before it starts and just leeching the rewards from those who have been progressing the pre meta stuff for the past hour.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

15 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Playing games is EXACTLY how many people start enjoying their weekend. Not everyone is a family person.

14 hours ago, QueenKeriti.5176 said:

That's when I can play with my friends online because that's usually when we're all available. :x My family lives nowhere near me, my friends live nowhere near me, and going out is expensive. I also like video games WAY more than going out and physically dealing with people, especially after being around people all day five days a week for work.

Y'all overbearing extroverts are something else. 

Not saying it is forbidden to play on weekends, to each their own. I was just refering to Lumpin Jumpix bold claim that the game is dead because he doesn't find people to raid on what he considers "prime time" (number of raid squads on friday/saturday evening is more likely smaller because people either have already done their full clear or doing RL stuff since it's the weekend). Apparently his and Sobx's posts got removed, so what I wrote is pretty much out of context now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Nash.2681 said:

Not saying it is forbidden to play on weekends, to each their own. I was just refering to Lumpin Jumpix bold claim that the game is dead because he doesn't find people to raid on what he considers "prime time" (number of raid squads on friday/saturday evening is more likely smaller because people either have already done their full clear or doing RL stuff since it's the weekend). Apparently his and Sobx's posts got removed, so what I wrote is pretty much out of context now.

When else do you think is "prime time"?

Sunday to Thursday evening, when people have to prepare for the next workday and go to bed early? Friday and Saturday are pretty much the best evenings to play games.

Why else do you think many families choose these evenings for their family activities? It's for the same reasons why it's also a the best time for playing video games.

But that's assuming one even has a job.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

When else do you think is "prime time"?

Sunday to Thursday evening, when people have to prepare for the next workday and go to bed early? Friday and Saturday are pretty much the best evenings to play games.

Why else do you think many families choose these evenings for their family activities? It's for the same reasons why it's also a the best time for playing video games.

But that's assuming one even has a job.

Pretty much the time you mentioned. Work and chores are done and it's time to unwind a bit before going to bed. At least that's when most people I know are gaming and I feel the game is quite populated at those times. I mean, I play on weekend evenings myself every now and then, but the game usually feels much more empty (though far from dead) and groups are harder to find than during the week, thus I wouldn't call it prime time (or the best time to look for groups/squads for specific content).

However, the reason for my comment got removed and none of us has the numbers to backup ones impression, so I guess we can just agree to disagree?

• Haha 1

I quit the game after the GW3 leaks, but for now I'm back again. I missed the game and I realized I might have overreacted with negativity. I thought about it lately again, so here is what I think.

Honestly I'm not sure why would they make GW3 an MMORPG which replaces GW2, unless they make it substantially more expensive.
If GW2 doesn't generate enough profit, then why would GW3 do with a similar monetization model (buy to play, cash shop with skins, gems to gold etc)?

They would sell a few millions of copies with the vast majority of them leaving after a few months.
I don't think "Guild Wars" is viewed as something super popular major franchise that would attract and retain millions of players on the long run.
A huge part of GW2's initial success was that it looked fresh after ppl were getting bored of WoW and there was no other proper MMO's around that time.
The industry have changed so much since then.
Selling the game once is nothing in the entire lifespan of an MMO. It needs to sustain.

But let's say they make GW3 more expensive, that includes the usual $15 monthly sub. However in that case it directly competes with WoW and FFXIV, which is a near impossible task at this point, not to mention the noticeable decline of MMO popularity over the last decade.

Many people say that "Anet should remake it on UE5 because the engine is outdated" etc. I've been playing FFXIV during my absence, and honestly, the visuals of that game is shocking, especially the open world. Sometimes it felt like playing a game from the mid-2000s, although the last expansion looks significantly better and they are planning a visual overhaul.
GW2 looks AMAZING compared to it, it's not even close. Yet nobody in FFXIV is complaining about the graphics or "the engine looks dated", the game is fun to play so nobody cares.

GW2 has the best open world content I've ever played. Only WoW comes somewhat close to it.
But both WoW and FFXIV beats the hell out of GW2 in instanced content (both quality and quantity, but especially the latter.)

I finished SOTO story and I found it really strange to see the gigantic credits list in the end.
It lists an entire army of game developers, artists and support people. Now I'm not sure what to think.
If a few hundred people created SOTO, then they have serious issues with the efficiency of their organization and totally out of new ideas.
In the other hand, it is not known if these people are indeed worked full-time on SOTO or just participated... you know, if I had worked on GW2 for 1 hour a month, I still deserve credit... I find this really weird.

In terms of GW3, in my opinion, Anet could go for 2 options without taking critical risks:

1. Do what Square Enix did to FFXIV - A Realm Reborn. They remade the game and resurrected a failed game to become one of the most successful MMO's in history. You kept all your old characters and stuff.
So basically we continue playing the same game as we do right now, and our stuff carries over (at least, most of them).
They fix the major issues of the game on a better engine (visual clutter, UI, the ignored pvp, inconsistent pve game modes, etc).
They start making big expansions like WoW / FFXIV.

2. Make GW3 another genre. It could be an MMO-lite like GW1, a session-based pvp game like LoL/DoTA, or something like POE/Diablo. Something that is not as massive as a full MMO, and then it doesn't directly compete with GW2. The two games would attract a different audience, promoting each other, bringing more players (and income) to both.
They keep making expansions for GW2 for a longer time.

What do you think?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 12:45 AM, Azinoth.1902 said:

I quit the game after the GW3 leaks, but for now I'm back again. I missed the game and I realized I might have overreacted with negativity. I thought about it lately again, so here is what I think.

Honestly I'm not sure why would they make GW3 an MMORPG which replaces GW2, unless they make it substantially more expensive.
If GW2 doesn't generate enough profit, then why would GW3 do with a similar monetization model (buy to play, cash shop with skins, gems to gold etc)?

They would sell a few millions of copies with the vast majority of them leaving after a few months.
I don't think "Guild Wars" is viewed as something super popular major franchise that would attract and retain millions of players on the long run.
A huge part of GW2's initial success was that it looked fresh after ppl were getting bored of WoW and there was no other proper MMO's around that time.
The industry have changed so much since then.
Selling the game once is nothing in the entire lifespan of an MMO. It needs to sustain.

But let's say they make GW3 more expensive, that includes the usual $15 monthly sub. However in that case it directly competes with WoW and FFXIV, which is a near impossible task at this point, not to mention the noticeable decline of MMO popularity over the last decade.

Many people say that "Anet should remake it on UE5 because the engine is outdated" etc. I've been playing FFXIV during my absence, and honestly, the visuals of that game is shocking, especially the open world. Sometimes it felt like playing a game from the mid-2000s, although the last expansion looks significantly better and they are planning a visual overhaul.
GW2 looks AMAZING compared to it, it's not even close. Yet nobody in FFXIV is complaining about the graphics or "the engine looks dated", the game is fun to play so nobody cares.

GW2 has the best open world content I've ever played. Only WoW comes somewhat close to it.
But both WoW and FFXIV beats the hell out of GW2 in instanced content (both quality and quantity, but especially the latter.)

I finished SOTO story and I found it really strange to see the gigantic credits list in the end.
It lists an entire army of game developers, artists and support people. Now I'm not sure what to think.
If a few hundred people created SOTO, then they have serious issues with the efficiency of their organization and totally out of new ideas.
In the other hand, it is not known if these people are indeed worked full-time on SOTO or just participated... you know, if I had worked on GW2 for 1 hour a month, I still deserve credit... I find this really weird.

In terms of GW3, in my opinion, Anet could go for 2 options without taking critical risks:

1. Do what Square Enix did to FFXIV - A Realm Reborn. They remade the game and resurrected a failed game to become one of the most successful MMO's in history. You kept all your old characters and stuff.
So basically we continue playing the same game as we do right now, and our stuff carries over (at least, most of them).
They fix the major issues of the game on a better engine (visual clutter, UI, the ignored pvp, inconsistent pve game modes, etc).
They start making big expansions like WoW / FFXIV.

2. Make GW3 another genre. It could be an MMO-lite like GW1, a session-based pvp game like LoL/DoTA, or something like POE/Diablo. Something that is not as massive as a full MMO, and then it doesn't directly compete with GW2. The two games would attract a different audience, promoting each other, bringing more players (and income) to both.
They keep making expansions for GW2 for a longer time.

What do you think?

While i understand your point, i think your wrong in some aspects.

1. Gw2 makes money, but not a LOT. This is due to not having a huge playerbase. If GW2 had 7.5 millions active players like WoW have, Anet could afford to have 500++ people working on GW2 making raids, expansions etc... but thats not the case. GW3 will grab a lot of money at start from all the people trying it out, it will drag all the GW1/GW2 community and hopefully become bigger than GW2.

2. They are NEVER, like ever gonna waste 200 million euros to remake GW2 on unreal engine 5 and pass out your stuff from gw2. For what? people are not gonna come massively for a remaster, it has no sense to give people the best gear in slot in a new MMORPG, imagine your face if you were a new player. If they make a new MMORPG, its a new mmorpg, gw2 is past. The most you can expect is a hall of monuments like GW1 to get some skins.

3. It has already been leaked that the unnanounced project (GW3) is a fantasy rpg online multiplayer, which means an MMO basically. Also it has no sense to make GW3 anything else than an mmo and call it that way. I also think they could have focused on other types of games, like MOBAS etc... but that is risky, and lets be honest, gw2 is not gonna be huge no matter what they do. A lot of people came and tried the game in 2012-2015 and they left cos they didnt like it, thats it.

The best expectation is to hope that GW2 keeps development after GW3, which i think its completly imposible, because it would be pointless to keep development in a game that needs a lot of devs and that barely gives money when you have a new monster on the table (GW3). Enjoy the years left in GW2, that probably stays in maintenance after GW3 same as GW1, or just go play other games and come back when GW3 is here, thats all you can do.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Izzy.2951 said:

1. Gw2 makes money, but not a LOT. This is due to not having a huge playerbase. If GW2 had 7.5 millions active players like WoW have, Anet could afford to have 500++ people working on GW2 making raids, expansions etc... but thats not the case. GW3 will grab a lot of money at start from all the people trying it out, it will drag all the GW1/GW2 community and hopefully become bigger than GW2.

2. They are NEVER, like ever gonna waste 200 million euros to remake GW2 on unreal engine 5 and pass out your stuff from gw2. For what? people are not gonna come massively for a remaster, it has no sense to give people the best gear in slot in a new MMORPG, imagine your face if you were a new player. If they make a new MMORPG, its a new mmorpg, gw2 is past. The most you can expect is a hall of monuments like GW1 to get some skins.

3. It has already been leaked that the unnanounced project (GW3) is a fantasy rpg online multiplayer, which means an MMO basically. Also it has no sense to make GW3 anything else than an mmo and call it that way. I also think they could have focused on other types of games, like MOBAS etc... but that is risky, and lets be honest, gw2 is not gonna be huge no matter what they do. A lot of people came and tried the game in 2012-2015 and they left cos they didnt like it, thats it.

The best expectation is to hope that GW2 keeps development after GW3, which i think its completly imposible, because it would be pointless to keep development in a game that needs a lot of devs and that barely gives money when you have a new monster on the table (GW3). Enjoy the years left in GW2, that probably stays in maintenance after GW3 same as GW1, or just go play other games and come back when GW3 is here, thats all you can do.

I completely agree with your take on this.  However this is exactly why I won't play gw3. If they are going to trash it all and start over why would i pick gw3 and start over from scratch when I could pick a different mmo by another company that has already decades of content added in.  Additionally, ncsoft has now made my old account on gw2 basically defunct, and this is the second time they have now done this since gw1 so that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

so the choices are start gw3 with ncsoft who has a habit of wiping out all my progress/purchases/achievements/titles every 10 or so years.

or play a new mmo with a different company that doesn't have a habit of doing that and i dont feel salty towards them.

• Like 6
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

This.

As a veteran who has faced a lot of disappointment in GW2, I welcome an new GW MMORPG, if it is really going to be that. It can only get better with a fresh start - I hope. 😉 

I do understand people who are rather new to GW2. They have not achieved that much in the time they have played, so they might regard it as a drag to "start over". On the other hand, if you are rather new to GW2, you still have tons of content to enjoy for years to come.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

I hope GW3 will use a sophisticated Ai system (like chatgpt) to let npc's AND enemies react to players actions. So no pre programmed always the same reactions and combats, but a really intelligent Ai, analysing the situation and reacting accordingly.

AND I hope NPSoft will upgrade hardware and internet connection, so players don't have to wait on loading screens, or having downloads with less than 100 mb/second.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

Guild Wars is not a mainstream franchise. It has a niche playerbase who don't enjoy the gear treadmill type of progression, or just cannot afford to pay the monthly sub fee of the mainstream MMO's.

Let's assume GW3 is an MMO replacing GW2, here is a slightly pessimistic, but realistic scenario:

From investor perspective:
- NCSoft West is in red, very difficult for them to ask for more investment (but let's assume they already have it)
- Game is based on Unreal Engine 5 (professionally looking assets are expensive for this modern engine)
- Development cost will likely be around 500 million euros (even some single player games like a newer Assassin's Creed cost much more than that, and they don't have to maintain massively multiplayer servers)
- Price per unit €60, let's say they sell 2 million copies at launch (the same amount that GW2 sold back in 2012). That's 120 million euros
- Most probably about two-third of the players would leave after a few months, like they usually do in every new online game (looking at New World, Lost Ark, or Diablo 4)
- It will take years for the game to start being profitable again, while GW2 is already mostly dead at that time (assumption)

From playerbase perspective:
- GW3 on Unreal Engine 5 will have brutal system requirements compared to GW2
- The players who cannot afford monthly subs are now facing the challenge to buy a new PC for ~€2000 because of Unreal Engine 5
- The game must be substantially more expensive than GW3 in order to be more profitable (monthly sub fee and more monetization)
- However, the horizontal progression system doesn't work with a monthy sub fee based model, the whole point of this niche casual game is that you can play it whenever you want, leave, return, and you are still viable. In games with monthly sub, the developers pressure you to play regularly, it is in their interest
- The characters and collections of veteran players are left behind in GW2 (main reason of mixed reception)
- GW3 loses a significant amount of veteran players (who don't wanna move from GW2), and the new players are unlikely to be as engaged as vets were
- GW3 open world is tiny little compared to GW2 (due to the fact it takes time to develop all)
- GW3 might even have less players overall by the aforementioned reasons
- Anet never demonstrated the capability of being able to create consistent quality content for instanced PVE (they tried something else in almost every xpac), let alone WvW and PvP - Unreal Engine itself will not solve any of that, it's just provides a better tool

TLDR:
I'm trying to suggest that the main target audience of GW3 is still the veteran playerbase, who received the leaks with mixed feelings, a lot of people are not so excited from what I've seen.
In the other hand, the Guild Wars franchise is just not big enough to suddenly become mainstream and justify an AAA investment.
This is why I think that making an MMO sequel doesn't make any sense and it's extremely risky for the investors, and they should better off not doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/28/2024 at 4:42 PM, Albadaran.1283 said:

I hope GW3 will use a sophisticated Ai system (like chatgpt) to let npc's AND enemies react to players actions. So no pre programmed always the same reactions and combats, but a really intelligent Ai, analysing the situation and reacting accordingly.

AND I hope NPSoft will upgrade hardware and internet connection, so players don't have to wait on loading screens, or having downloads with less than 100 mb/second.

there are already games where npcs are being auto generated by algorithms. so yea a lot to experiment with such technologies.

• Confused 1

Game Director Josh Davis just said this today:

"My ultimate goal as game director is quite simple: I want Guild Wars 2 to thrive long into the future. Guild Wars 2 is more than a game – players have spent the last decade establishing relationships and building communities in Tyria – and we feel a duty to help protect and preserve that. To do this, we desperately needed a content model that can satisfy our fans, allow our developers to maintain a healthy and sustainable relationship with work, and bring some financial stability to the studio."

Source:

https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/interview-guild-wars-2s-game-director-reflects-secrets-of-the-obscures-learning-and-whats-to-come-2000131684

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2