Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I'd prefer a direct, reliable source, ideally Anet saying it themselves, rather than speculation based on Google translate.

I don't think ANet even could say that they are working on GW3 before NCSoft first said it. There's public company transparency rules and anything that can realistically have a meaningful effect on the stock valuation has to be published to the public and to the stockholders at the same time.

NCSoft owns ANet completely and ultimately they decide on the projects and the budgets, not ANet.

They later clarified that development hadn't yet started, but the original source is directly from the words of the chairman of NCSoft, and if they say something I'd assume that should hold weight; and actually, it has to, legally speaking, he can't just make stuff up when that stuff can affect the valuation of NCSoft.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, purp.1806 said:

Here's another article regarding its development that I found after searching in Korean.

The update states that NCSoft corrected the statement:

"Guild Wars 3 is still under consideration, and the start of development has not been finalized."
This article also showcases the updated statement as above.

So now you can all relax.

It's still rather the turnaround from when just a few years ago ANet said that they aren't going to do GW3 and nothing of such is in plans.

My experience with these sort of things is that if once people said "never gonna happen" and later it turns to "well maybe..", that "maybe" really means "likely to happen".

I think the correction might also be a reaction to appease the paying customers. People don't want to spend money on a MMO game that is going to have a sequel.

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, purp.1806 said:

Here's another article regarding its development that I found after searching in Korean.

The update states that NCSoft corrected the statement:

"Guild Wars 3 is still under consideration, and the start of development has not been finalized."
This article also showcases the updated statement as above.

So now you can all relax.

One thing to note, other MMORPGs are in the same boat.

As in, "under consideration"

If a lot of MMORPGs are "under consideration" I would expect it is happening.

Everyone, data thinkers, data scientists, big data readers, data analysts, data is telling consider it. So they considering it, and they going to look at competition.

The competition is considering it too.

What do you think conclusion is going to be?

No brainer right? Common sense right?

A lot of people are so consumed with show me the data, not many people common sense, they know its happen, the feeling is there, common sense is there. I already see GW3 ideas thread so thats good to know, because thats someone with common, they know its coming and the best time to get your ideas across is while their still working it. While they are still considering things.

Once they say its happening. All your ideas is too late, they already figure it out and they know what they going to do moving forward, discussion considering thats idea creation phase. Once they announce its too late, so I would suggest if you have ideas, you do not wait till they say its happening, because your idea is too by now.

• Like 2
  • Confused 11

4 minutes ago, tzaeru.3742 said:

It's still rather the turnaround from when just a few years ago ANet said that they aren't going to do GW3 and nothing of such is in plans.

My experience with these sort of things is that if once people said "never gonna happen" and later it turns to "well maybe..", that "maybe" really means "likely to happen".

I think the correction might also be a reaction to appease the paying customers. People don't want to spend money on a MMO game that is going to have a sequel.

Executives (especially Korean executives; and I say this as a Korean) also tend to speak out of their bunghole, especially when the company is facing an 8-year deficit. Overseas IPs are the bread and butter of Korean entertainment, so of course they're going to boost it up like a savior to NCSoft's global expansion.

It could be crisis PR, but it could very well be him not knowing the full extent of the Guild Wars IP.

Edited by purp.1806
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, purp.1806 said:

Executives (especially Korean executives; and I say this as a Korean) also tend to speak out of their bunghole, especially when the company is facing an 8-year deficit. Overseas IPs are the bread and butter of Korean entertainment, so of course they're going to boost it up like a savior to NCSoft's global expansion.

It could be crisis PR, but it could very well be him not knowing the full extent of the Guild Wars IP.

Yeah, that could be it too. And of course some new project with GW IP might be in the doings, but it wouldn't be a replacement to GW2.

We do know that ANet has been hiring people with particular skills with Unreal Engine 5. While UE5 could be utilized for e.g. asset creation and previewing for GW2, I don't think they would need to hire very many people for that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've tried starting a fresh, paid account in GW2 to experience some of the progression again to unlock gear, mounts, etc. I quickly went back to my main account, though, since it just provides so much better quality of life, due to various storage upgrades, and legendaries.

Likewise, I cannot fathom starting completely anew in a GW2 successor MMO that wipes your progress. Nowadays, I do not have the time for endless grinds anymore, so I'd probably not make the transition. Naturally, I'd also heavily reduce my time and spending in GW2. Betting on the acquisition of a new player base to replace "veterans" seems like an extremely risky move.

Now, if GW3 is mostly a polished & improved GW2 in a new engine and most of your stuff carries over, that seems great to me. Being able to hire new developers without having to train them in an in-house engine first should hopefully speed up future development.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, vrauns.3215 said:

Ya, not sure i agree with they can't handle one, where's the concreate evidence of that.

What proof do you need? The fact that they can't "properly" handle with only one game? Look at the hundreds of bugs they don't fix for years. Look at the constant problems with launching even simple events, not to mention something major like an expansion. Wasn't the last weekly event enough for you? And there's nothing complicated there; the problem is obvious - achievements are not received by those who have already got them before, but absolutely no one checked anything before launching the event itself. So I'll repeat - ANet won't be able to handle two games because they can't even properly handle with one.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, tzaeru.3742 said:

Yeah, that could be it too. And of course some new project with GW IP might be in the doings, but it wouldn't be a replacement to GW2.

We do know that ANet has been hiring people with particular skills with Unreal Engine 5. While UE5 could be utilized for e.g. asset creation and previewing for GW2, I don't think they would need to hire very many people for that.

Agreed.

Also considering this from last week -- wherein NCSoft reveals it will focus on "Game Development" and "M&As" --> could very well be a "we need to appease shareholders" sentiment by revealing they're actively pursuing the development of lucrative global titles as opposed to the games they've been shoving down Korea's throat for the past decade. A 20-year-old IP looks incredible for an announcement as such, especially when none of their other titles have survived to that extent.

Edited by purp.1806
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't mind a GW3 as long as they don't stop working on GW2. But this is unrealistic, right? Does "GW3" mean "replacing GW2 with a sequel?", as in "moving resources from GW2's production to GW3"? If that's the case, then no. I've invested way too many resources (time, money, emotions) into GW2 and my beloved characters, especially my main. If they want to and are creative about it, they could find a way of linking GW2 and GW3 in a way that's fun and worth playing both games instead of just one. Something that incentivises players to want to spend time in GW3 as well, but also go back to GW2. This however, like I said, sounds unrealistic. They would be working on two games instead of just one. Thoughts? 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Ignavia.7420 said:

I've tried starting a fresh, paid account in GW2 to experience some of the progression again to unlock gear, mounts, etc. I quickly went back to my main account, though, since it just provides so much better quality of life, due to various storage upgrades, and legendaries.

Likewise, I cannot fathom starting completely anew in a GW2 successor MMO that wipes your progress. Nowadays, I do not have the time for endless grinds anymore, so I'd probably not make the transition. Naturally, I'd also heavily reduce my time and spending in GW2. Betting on the acquisition of a new player base to replace "veterans" seems like an extremely risky move.

Now, if GW3 is mostly a polished & improved GW2 in a new engine and most of your stuff carries over, that seems great to me. Being able to hire new developers without having to train them in an in-house engine first should hopefully speed up future development.

You are most welcome to stay in GW2. As someone who initially did transfer from GW1 to GW2, going from GW2 to GW3 feels very natural and something I am very much looking forward to. Fresh start is nice, and who knows maybe the base game will have a lot more QoL than the initial GW2 ever did. I also hope they've learnt from some of their mistakes on GW2, such as poor story and bad game mechanic designs, that it will be very interesting to see how things end up turning out!

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Yes, however. GW1 was 2005-2012, 7 years, GW2 is 2012 - current 12 years.

Thats why I stress MMORPG lifespan. Its not like WWE 2K

Then its exactly what you said, "regularly moves on from previous games."

Thing with WWE 2K, its basically the same game too, very lazy. Same game just considered new and full price. 2K24 steam Mixed reviews as not good.22 23 was somewhat positive, but if you Mixed, thats bad. Not bad bad but thats bad.

Anyways, lifespan. 7 to 12 years? Thats a lot of time. Its not like your timespent was for nothing, it was for 7 to 12 years, plenty of time. 7 to 12 years is a lot of years that went by. Your totally different person 7 years ago, 12 years ago. Your thought process etc. Your not longer college student your someone pursuing more pay, already working, etc or whatever.

You have to think about the next generation, the brand continuing, its not just you. Your time, games catering to you, etc. They did that 7 to 12 years.

Do you want the GW series to continue to be great, continue to be good, not considered an old player game, where old play it.

Game lasts 7 years thats more than enough time your not a job hopper, your not a "regularly moves on from previous games."

If you move on every 7 to 12 years, thats not unusual.

Think Skyrim, its like The next Skyrim, WHEN?

its opposite of "regularly moves on from previous games."

Game never moves. Game lost its thing because Morrowind 3 years later Oblivion 3 years later Skyrim, 12+ years....

Hrmm. what happened. It was a good thing to be "regularly moves on from previous games." for that 3 years was good amount of time, good lifespan of that game.

But now 12+ years its now moreso, what happened. Skyrim is old now.

How about GW2.

MMORPG lifespan, ideal lifespan because any MMORPG can just continue forever but is that ideal good for the brand?

btw, new game,

What do you think about the next elder scrolls.

I'm thinking 20 million copies sold. Why. What I said before. New games draw people in.

Too many games these days 12+ years and people scratching heads, when is the next? When the new one?

GTA, Elder scrolls, been a long time.

GW2??? Same boat??? Just its MMORPG doesn't mean anything. Doesn't mean it has to follow the other old MMORPGs and operate how they operate.

GW1 to GW2, very good transition. GW1 would have been just fine if they kept pushing out GW1 expansions. GW1 would be just fine.

But it could be an "old people play game" because it didn't new version and attract the younger people, draw in other people. Continue the brand.

Going to skip on your run on post, just going to point out: when there is MMORPGs which run for 20-30+ years, with players loyal to them, then your argument goes out the window.

Some players which immerse themselves in MMORPGs do so intentionally to not have to run after the next flavor of the month next game. 

That said, again, the amount of successful successor MMORPGs is less than a handfull, and the ones which surpassed their first game even less (none actually in the top 20 of the market). Unlike other types of games where a follow up game can do well. You can't just go "humpty dumpty I am going to ignore all data and metrics in this regard" and expect to sound reasonable (then again you have a notion of just lumping together anything you find and running with it).

Let's see what the official announcement will say and obviously I wish the studio all the best, they've released 2 games I have enjoyed so far.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, tzaeru.3742 said:

Must be a bit of a wild day for the people doing PR and communications at ANet at the moment; I would hope that they clarify already today what the NCSoft fellas were talking about.

Yeah. I am unsure to further invest in gw2 if the statement is true. For now i am holding off, until i have more info about the new game. I dont think i am the only one.. This could be a financial disaster for the next expansion.. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Personally, I'd like ANet to move on from Tyria/the Guild Wars franchise.

Don't get me wrong, I love GW2, but I'd rather see a different setting in a different genre. There's already a mountains worth of Fantasy based MMOs, some better than others, of course.

Give me either a Science Fiction or a new Super Hero MMO.

• Like 6
  • Confused 7

I doubt if GW3 will be just a copy of GW2 on new engine, with better graphics and new storyline/characters. What's the point? Try convincing old GW2 players to throw away all the progress they made just to start GW with better graphics. MMORPG is far from being the most popular genre, so creating another open world action RPG game seems risky.

Maybe GW3 is happening, but as a completly different game — maybe it's a mobile game (mobile games are profitable, accessible to literally everyone). Maybe it's hack'n'slash? They're easy, can be loaded with microtransactions and work on different platforms.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, tzaeru.3742 said:

I don't think ANet even could say that they are working on GW3 before NCSoft first said it. There's public company transparency rules and anything that can realistically have a meaningful effect on the stock valuation has to be published to the public and to the stockholders at the same time.

NCSoft owns ANet completely and ultimately they decide on the projects and the budgets, not ANet.

They later clarified that development hadn't yet started, but the original source is directly from the words of the chairman of NCSoft, and if they say something I'd assume that should hold weight; and actually, it has to, legally speaking, he can't just make stuff up when that stuff can affect the valuation of NCSoft.

I'm not saying I don't believe it because it hasn't already been announced by Anet, I understand they need to tell shareholders news like this first.

The problem is that I can't read Korean so for me the sources on this were either an article which admitted they used automatic translation they know to be unreliable, or an article I can't read even enough to determine whether the site looks legitimate. Meanwhile I'm very aware there are people online whose entire business model is to stir up debate on unverifiable topics and something like this would be easy bait for them.

If/when GW3, or some other big Anet project, does happen I expect it will be announced to NCSoft shareholders, but for that news to get to me it needs to come via a reliable English language source (or French, but English is more likely) and that's most likely to be Arenanet announcing it.

• Confused 3

GW3 has to be a new continent, with new races, and we have to start with something new and unheard of in terms of maps and stories (the kind that takes place in parallel to GW2 but on another continent). Why not reconnect with the gameplay of GW1 under a newer graphic.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Kalythsu.8350 said:

Guys, he say "GW3 is in the work" yes but He never mentionned "is a MMORPG". 😉

It was a really weird way to "announce"  GW3, opening up NCSoft & Anet to all sorts of speculations.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ignavia.7420 said:

It was a really weird way to "announce"  GW3, opening up NCSoft & Anet to all sorts of speculations.

I think it's a fail communication xD a leak if you prefer 😛 It wasn't intentional

Edited by Kalythsu.8350
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Kalythsu.8350 said:

GW3 has to be a new continent, with new races, and we have to start with something new and unheard of in terms of maps and stories (the kind that takes place in parallel to GW2 but on another continent). Why not reconnect with the gameplay of GW1 under a newer graphic.

Quaggans, Centaurs, Kodans! Oh MY!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2