[POLL] Should Anet Managed Discords For The Servers?

[POLL] Would Anet Managed Discords Help?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should Anet Create Discord Channels for Servers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
    • Other: What if? And Why?

We have a lot of variety of players. Be that Roamer, Havoc, Small Scale, Large Scale and Zerg.  With the various server linkings it adds more chaos even before we get to the WR. Different guilds use disparate voices and even existing servers via for what voice is what. Should Anet try and create the voice domains via Discord and apply admin? I am asking while being in a guild voice most of the time. But for those that jump about more would a common neutral voice that already had server rules in place have more of an appeal?

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• TheGrimm.5624 changed the title to [POLL] Should Anet Managed Discords For The Servers?

Current players may not recall as it’s been a beat but servers used to have community Team Speak servers (and before that Vent servers) that filled the roll you’re describing fairly well (each with their own channels, and communal raid channels and commander channels). This was before the mass migration to discord. 

… but those services cost money. The more active and larger the numbers the greater the costs. Gamers are cheap, so they mostly moved to Discord because of its price point (at the time was null). 

Anet can’t afford the time nor manpower to police disparate discord servers for each server community, it barely has the employees to properly enforce its own rules on this forum. Expecting anything beyond the status quo from Anet is a pipe dream as they simply lack the wherewithal, be it additional comms for servers, updates to a dead game mode, or much more than throwing the rarified update at a game that is for all intents and purposes in maintenance mode. 

• Haha 2

I would argue no this is up to players but better integration wouldn’t hurt. A way to more easily see the discord channels for the guilds on your team and joining ingame straight to a commanders channel etc.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

We have a lot of variety of players. Be that Roamer, Havoc, Small Scale, Large Scale and Zerg.  With the various server linkings it adds more chaos even before we get to the WR. Different guilds use disparate voices and even existing servers via for what voice is what. Should Anet try and create the voice domains via Discord and apply admin? I am asking while being in a guild voice most of the time. But for those that jump about more would a common neutral voice that already had server rules in place have more of an appeal?

tbh i dont see any of this "chaos" and also dont see people fighting each others in discord so the officials would need to rule it.

i dont think we have any demand to set up preassure so people have to behave different than they do atm.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MysteryDude.1572 said:

Absolutely f***ING NO 

I don't want snowflake admins not allowing  memes/copypastas/drama/salt/nsfw.

Yeah man, leave copypastas alone - they are so much fun. I don't even play wvw and join servers only for them!

..... Or just skip WR and go back to monoservers. Multiple discords and getting players in voice already a problem with linking system. Last WR beta my server had like 3 Silent Woods discords, EU Alliance discord and some commanders using their own discord (Even alliances of the admins of EU alliance discord weren't using EU alliance discord but their personal alliance discord so EU has failed at their attempt to collect people already).

Edited by Riba.3271

Considering the current 1 month re-link system and the volatility of server populations dropping from "main" server to "linking " server,  even managing server wide discords would be a nightmare. The majority, if not all, established guilds have servers of their own that people can join to play with them. Most people who join comms have no problem in joining a guild discord for a time and if they want to they can leave it when the guild is no longer in their server rotation. Plus these discords are part of the recruitment tools used by many guilds, where potential members can actually scout out player rosters/members and their social dynamic before entering the guild itself.

It would be a disservice to the guilds and a nightmare for Anet to even try to unify servers. The only real disadvantage is not having "commander comms" like TeamSpeak servers use to have, where active commanders could speak to each other while also being in comms with their group.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, roederich.2716 said:

tbh i dont see any of this "chaos" and also dont see people fighting each others in discord so the officials would need to rule it.

i dont think we have any demand to set up preassure so people have to behave different than they do atm.

Admin here was meant more as being a neutral party with the tools (think API) to grant access to channels. With WR scrambling people all over the place every 4 weeks we will have even more Discords than might already be out there. Again I say this as probably others as well that I may not join other voices since I am already in at least one (Guild) and when it comes down to join another one or two, juggling three voice channels gets a bit hectic. With servers we have a better chance of community ones, with WR, I think this is going to get worse.

Edit: The reason I brought this one up is seeing all the various personal Discords popping up during each of the relinks and different squads on different channels.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Edit: the why
  • Confused 1

I'd rather have more developed and intuitive in game tools to communicate in real time that can survive population ups, downs, and disasters. Even a simple radial menu to choose from quick commands like hold, right, left, cover, ready up, etc. But it would have to be easy to use and easy to see while not flooding peoples screens and chat too much. I don't mean in place of something like Discord, but to help police up followers who aren't on Discord and anyone who's on there but not very alert. 

I wouldn't be against it if they went for something like that though, unless it nuked performance.  

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The current situation is fine. At least in eu the server communities do a good job keeping up discord and/or TS on most if not all servers.

After WR, lets see. Im sure all relevant guilds and alliances will cover that. Maybe ingame voice support for squads AND guilds would be nice. But on the other hand I doubt it would be even close to dedicated apps. Also the upside of external services is thats its not limited to gw2 and you dont have to be ingame to use them.

Alliances as in guilds formed as alliance of several guilds and other players

Edited by Cuks.8241

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Admin here was meant more as being a neutral party with the tools (think API) to grant access to channels. With WR scrambling people all over the place every 4 weeks we will have even more Discords than might already be out there. Again I say this as probably others as well that I may not join other voices since I am already in at least one (Guild) and when it comes down to join another one or two, juggling three voice channels gets a bit hectic. With servers we have a better chance of community ones, with WR, I think this is going to get worse.

Edit: The reason I brought this one up is seeing all the various personal Discords popping up during each of the relinks and different squads on different channels.

Wouldn't be a problem for them to set up channels, although I'm sure it's extra cost they don't want to deal with. The problem can also be player solved, so no real need for them to step in and make their own channels. Not to mention moderation, which they can't exactly leave up to the players, like the forums..... but who wants the same moderation as the forums for the discord...

Most of the guild and alliances will most likely continue to use their own channels anyways for their privacy. This option would only be used by pugs, which in most cases by commanders who ask for people to voice in the first place, who also probably have their own guild and therefore already have their own channels. So is there really a need for anet to setup official world community channels? 🤷‍♂️ 

I think the problem for most players isn't where they have to go for voice, it's the stigma around using voice they wish to ignore in the first place.

In game voice would be a different story, and something they should pursue instead.

9 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Wouldn't be a problem for them to set up channels, although I'm sure it's extra cost they don't want to deal with.

As far as I have seen for many companies that have gone Discord, there is close to none. Discord owns the rights to all postings though, how they are using that to make cash...not sure but its like Google, is there a way to make market by knowing what people are searching, yes, yes there is.

The problem can also be player solved, so no real need for them to step in and make their own channels.

Except this opens it up to player admins that will abuse it. Its not normal, but it happens. Have been in Discords that will block and ban players for reasons as simple as its not what they consider a meta build or they have issues with size of scale play or being what is considered meta and even more silly reasons.

Not to mention moderation, which they can't exactly leave up to the players, like the forums..... but who wants the same moderation as the forums for the discord...

Not calling for this, more creating an open place for players that are linked after the WR can group and work together in a common voice.

Most of the guild and alliances will most likely continue to use their own channels anyways for their privacy.

Agree.

This option would only be used by pugs,

Agree.

which in most cases by commanders who ask for people to voice in the first place, who also probably have their own guild and therefore already have their own channels.

This is what I am looking to counter, by game channels.

So is there really a need for anet to setup official world community channels? 🤷‍♂️ 

World Channels that pre-exist during WR create open grounds for players right after a new sort to group up without giving a given group control of a chat channel.

I think the problem for most players isn't where they have to go for voice, it's the stigma around using voice they wish to ignore in the first place.

I can see this, but differently. While I might be in GW2 I could have Guildmates in a variety of games and we are poking and bantering and picking on each other while not in the same game. When I was younger I could handle more voices at the same time and in the same game, but I admit age makes me more distracted. I need to get back in better practice as the WR approaches I admit.

In game voice would be a different story, and something they should pursue instead.

In game voice would also fill the role so agree.

Server discords are dead anyway after the announcement of this mythical so-called alliance and the subsequent WR betas. What can also be called a social experiment - "How to turn the relationships of players on an existing server upside down".

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Again I say this as probably others as well that I may not join other voices since I am already in at least one (Guild) and when it comes down to join another one or two, juggling three voice channels gets a bit hectic.

Fun fact: You can still use Discord PTB to join and listen to two channels at once while using independent voice, one voice activated and one PTT (same key mutes voice). I am usually in my guild discord while being in a commander discord too when needed.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

11 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Fun fact: You can still use Discord PTB to join and listen to two channels at once while using independent voice, one voice activated and one PTT (same key mutes voice). I am usually in my guild discord while being in a commander discord too when needed.

Good to know and will need to check into that. Still use TS3 as primary and have Discord for a secondary.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

more creating an open place for players that are linked after the WR can group and work together in a common voice

The issue you are running into with this topic is you've got in your mind this reason without considering that there is really no "business case" for a gaming company to assume the overhead to provide such a service.

14 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

The issue you are running into with this topic is you've got in your mind this reason without considering that there is really no "business case" for a gaming company to assume the overhead to provide such a service.

Mind you I was raising the question out of curiosity. The biggest reason Discord is pushed over some others like TS3 (which is my normal go to personally) is due to its free nature. That and considering more and more games are creating official Discords for their game versus creating a built in voice option is not out of the realm of options. Hence the curiosity of how other forum goers saw it. Sure if we ever get the Alliance part of the WR I do for see more Alliance Discords in addition to Guild ones and people's personal ones that are out there now.  So it will get even more diluted as which is the "official" Discord and next you know when you ask there are 10 different addresses being linked. 

But you may be right as I may be underthinking this and the potential for people to not get a long causing issues and extra headache, but I see the same potential there and it might be found in Alliances as well if there is only 1 Alliance lead as the design had. Hence sanity check on FW2 lol. 

It would be too much work to police, and also highly likely groups aren't going to be want to be restricted by those rules.

Like sometimes my guild would run in my server's discord and we would have to moderate the chat by quite a bit.

Remember they removed matchup threads for a certain reason. Imagine if they get flooded by complaints that some guild called some other guild a bad ppt guild or something. It'd be so inane literally nobody would want to deal with it.

Heck, that's pretty much the point of alliances. They don't want anything to do with the communities; they want to let the communities sort it out.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

It would be too much work to police, and also highly likely groups aren't going to be want to be restricted by those rules.

As Chaba pointed out, I admit I under estimated what players might see as Anet admining, my first thought was none to be truthful. 

Like sometimes my guild would run in my server's discord and we would have to moderate the chat by quite a bit.

After the TS once, have we had just one?

Remember they removed matchup threads for a certain reason.

That wasn't a bad idea for many reasons.

Imagine if they get flooded by complaints that some guild called some other guild a bad ppt guild or something. It'd be so inane literally nobody would want to deal with it.

This was a thing in tourney days by 3rd party services like Discord. Not sure there is any difference except the winner of the point would be who ever created the Discord.

Heck, that's pretty much the point of alliances. They don't want anything to do with the communities; they want to let the communities sort it out.

Agree here. 

Again was curious and, by now I hope you know me and I am a stubborn kitten, so I wanted to ask the question of other FW2 peeps. Happy reset my friend.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I don't remember which one, but it was definitely one of the server discords of all time.

After leaving SoR the SBI I most joined that was public was Canis's. RIP our friend. I know we have one listed on GWMist, but who admins? No idea. I need to come visit you all more since I enjoy the banter but as I said the older I get I mix voices more and I used to be able to do 3, but I grow slower. Poor Lurk. 'What? where are we deploying catas? Where is the breach!?". Oops! Need to go back to practicing to have TS and Disc up with different keys to banter. Banter is a big part of WvW even outside of grouping. Its a big part of the fun overall.

Edit SoR: Fire and Salt, The Murder Junkies [TMJ] via OLD send their regards and was good hunting during the betas. 😉 Good hunting for your Havocs! Grimm sends a /wave!

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
Edit: Side note