Do you use the sceptre?

Do you use the sceptre?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. I'd like to know what players think about it from a distance. And if you use it in which content.

• Yes
    • A little
    • No (what is this thing)

I’d say no, but I do put it on from time to time when using Heal Herald in pve just to have one more cc on certain break bars. It’s still awful and you have to use it 5s before you need it, but it’s made a difference sometimes. Other than that, I use it to have a laugh and be obnoxious with my 15ft long lightsaber of eye kitten.

The reason it’s so bad has been stated over and over in multiple feedback posts, so I won’t go in depth with it, but it’s just beyond bad. I tried my hardest to use it on a flock relic heal herald and shift the playstyle from reactive to pro-active with barrier spam, but it was just underwhelming paired with headaches and sadness. I went back to karakosa mace and forgot that we ever got a new weapon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's annoying to use and I hate it with a passion but the results it produces speaks for itself. 
You use it to uptime Fury and Might and even has very hefty barrier generation. But this does not change the fact it feels clunky and it's abhorrent the way it's designed. 

The fact they nerfed Mace Blast finishers so we can no longer use Karakosa as efficiently as we previously could just to make space for this disgusting stick really rubs me off the wrong way. 

Anet give us 2 Ammo for Echoing Eruption in PvE and we chill. I hate Scepter, rework it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

PvP as support. Every other possible option is selfish and doesn't add much if you want to give anything. Maybe Hammer with combo proj, that's about it.

Edited by Shao.7236

Yes, I use it on a heal herald.

Since rev doesn't has another support main hand weapon, I play sceptre. I think it's better than mace since the might upkeep is about the same and the additional barrier is nice. 

The auto is fine now except if you don't like the animation. 

One thing I was too stupid to understand is the 2 skill is that you also get the ally affect, so the barrier, if you target the enemy. But I don't understand the use case of targeting an ally with that and it would be nice if the barrier could be applied instantly to be more reactive instead of waiting a few seconds.

I don't use the 3. Skill I don't see the benefit for the unnecessary ally targeting and waiting on a small time frame to hit the skill again mechanic....

I am sad if I am looking at Druid, who is already the best heal support out there, getting a main hand mace, which is a fantastic edition for the class and does so much: boons, healing, heal increase and cc. And they get a second weapon for other things...

Meanwhile herald still has only small source of vigor, no revive options, bad stability access without jalis, only 1 aeagis source, could maybe use another source for condition cleanse.

And don't get me started on heal renegade who is unplayable because he has bad regeneration access. Additional he has nearly 0 stability access and in my opinion the protection application could be a bit easier, given how energy hungry this spec is.

All things this weapon could at least help with even though it could not completely solve them.  I am very happy that we now have barrier access but this weapon could have done so much more like other classes weapons...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's one of the worst weapons I have ever used in any game I ever played. Slow. Clunky. Annoying targeting because your skills require your target to be within 30° opening angle of where you're facing or else the cast fails and goes on a full cooldown. Cheap looking, recycled animations from classes that had a similar mechanic but did it better. Does not feel impactful.

I can see people using it with shield in fractals and raids where enemies are just a moving DPS golem, but it's unusable in PvP or WvW because breaking line-of-sight causes your triggered explosions and pulls to fail ("obstructed"). The fact that the damage was already low and unusable in any damaging build but the balance team cut the power coefficient by half just put the final nail in the coffin. It needs to be completely reworked.

Edited by Player.2475
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

Didn't really expect to, I don't really play support.
And that's okay, all the new weapons were meant to fill in missing niches for classes.

It's just too bad support players don't like it much either.

7 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Imo scepter is the least succesfull new weapon of the new ones

Ranger's maces, Warrior's staff and Mesmer's rifle are good; pistols and Rev's scepter are really bad. Everything else is just mediocre.  That's my point of view from seing other using them, since I've played with 4 of the new weapons and the four felt garbage enough to ditch them and forget about it. I use 0 of the new weapons across 20 characters and ~55 gear templates...  A true sucess.

18 hours ago, mirage.8046 said:

its existence proves why an existing weapon does not need to be nerfed to make room on the grounds of 'it being too strong.' a terrible reason to give to any class in any game.

Gotta wait a year or two before they give it shortbow treatment with 233% buffs.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:

Gotta wait a year or two before they give it shortbow treatment with 233% buffs.

heh, I wonder if anyone still enjoys using rev's weapons apart from the elite spec ones, swords, or mace. heck, hammer has had los and terrain problems with its skills, scepter is clunky, staff is seemingly not good at damage, and the poor axe recently lost a useful extra condition.

1 hour ago, mirage.8046 said:

heh, I wonder if anyone still enjoys using rev's weapons apart from the elite spec ones,

Mace & axe are still great for OW PvE solo, staff can have some use in PvP (hammer is too hard to use and I don't chose it if I have the desire to win). Outside that?  Short bow at everything and  greatsword for PvP/WvW.

4 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Ranger's maces, Warrior's staff and Mesmer's rifle are good; pistols and Rev's scepter are really bad. Everything else is just mediocre.  That's my point of view from seing other using them, since I've played with 4 of the new weapons and the four felt garbage enough to ditch them and forget about it. I use 0 of the new weapons across 20 characters and ~55 gear templates...  A true sucess.

Guardian pistols are okay if you accept that they're melee weapons that retain a reduced capacity to continue doing damage if you can't melee, rather than viewing them as the ranged weapons they were advertised as. Ele pistol is just terrible, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mirage.8046 said:

heh, I wonder if anyone still enjoys using rev's weapons apart from the elite spec ones, swords, or mace. heck, hammer has had los and terrain problems with its skills, scepter is clunky, staff is seemingly not good at damage, and the poor axe recently lost a useful extra condition.

Even though SB is arguably busted with it's coefficients, I still use swords with GS. Staff/GS or Staff+Hammer is a very good combo for trolling around some cele or INSERT TEMPLATE D/P THIEF HERE apes with minstrel.
I honestly don't know what's the point of axe anymore, you have CC that barely does anything and unblockable shadowstep that has uncontrollable movement. Kinda want to try it with grieving, but torment duration is just too low on those and I cba doing cele.