Good lord dungeons are horrible [Merged]

Figured I'd do them, what with them being the flavor of the week and what an absolutely miserable experience.

Whoever designed City of Arah should be forced to run it over and over for the rest of their lives, and even then I'm not sure that's punishment enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

And what is the problem exactly?

Dungeon are a nice experience, if you ask me (and others), how did you found that miserable?

And i got at least one guildmate who loves Arah so much that won't even be a punishment.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

But then people learned how to put Lupi into the wall and how to reflect his projectiles.

This is the only kind of Lupi I know. I wonder how was the fight before that XD

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Arah was my favourite dungeon in the game.

But then people learned how to put Lupi into the wall and how to reflect his projectiles.

Good news! Most vets who did dungeons are hard to find. Go do dungeons now and nobody has any idea what the strats are. You can do Arah without your party cheesing Lupi's mechanics. 

(The bad news is that there has also been a power creep, so even without cheesing mechanics the encounter might lack the challenge you're looking for.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

The Lupicus remains one of my favorite boss fight, in spite of all the more recent bosses. Movement, position and timing have to be on point for the fight, but taking it down legitimately is a bloody "Feels Good" moment. 

Arah does veer off in the "too long" category of dungeons at times, but if memory serve, some paths are shorter than others.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

Not as horrible as the "rewards" for dungeon rush. 700 dungeon delving tokens is not a reward...

+30 for each individual dungeon you do. Oh and there's a cape you can buy, but yeah, I do agree with your sentiment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

its been years since ive done a few.....i realised that it looked nice most of them except arah. if some of these were released today would look good compared to whats release in the last 2yrs. it looks better, more seamless and no fps drop

• Like 4
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

Not as horrible as the "rewards" for dungeon rush. 700 dungeon delving tokens is not a reward...

Regarding to GW2 efficency you can get ~98c or ~4s per token, depending on how you use them. So 700 thats ~6g86s or ~28g . You also get 150 AA which is worth 25g, so rush dungeon  tokens + AA = ~32-53g

Also this is on top of the base rewards from dungeons.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skie.8904 said:

This is the only kind of Lupi I know. I wonder how was the fight before that XD

You missed some of the most fun that existed in the game.

3 hours ago, Flowersunshine.7385 said:

Go do dungeons now and nobody has any idea what the strats are. You can do Arah without your party cheesing Lupi's mechanics. 

(The bad news is that there has also been a power creep, so even without cheesing mechanics the encounter might lack the challenge you're looking for.)

These days, people either survive by playing the stacking game and being bloated over with supportive effects, or they die trying to do so. And when they die, they look up to see, if there's any cheese to be had (which there is).

I rarely meet anyone who still wants to do the old content the way it once was supposed to be played. Most people I've met in the last years were just "get in quickly, get stuff done quickly, get out quickly".

• Like 2

Arah....what don't like the run across the dungeon to get a cup of tea to run back across the dungeon to get the milk?   It's a sprawling nuisance.   I don't hate it but it's kind of all over the place.  

Dungeon runs and done for the week's rush.   Already had the vape from the vendor, but restocked some currency that I had used for buying legendary components recently.  I do enjoy helping out people who have not done them before and some extra loot.  

• Confused 1

the fundamental problem with dungeons is that they were conceptualized for an entirely different level of player experience AND a different trait system. the traits system has been changed twice  since launch and the first one was a hard change, the elite spec one. the launch version had you invest hero points into a trait line in various degrees and you could have all five core traits invested in at the same time. but also the traits were....compared to today...utter garbage. people were literally weaker all around before the elite spec changes.

on top of the the entire coding for dungeon is seemingly irreparably broken. NOTHING works correctly, its either broken or so horribly buggy a regular player would be bewildered on how something just happened.

it would be a boon for the game if anet found the time to simply remake the dungeons, to make them at least not broken messes and MAYBE bring them up to par for a low level experience.

Edited by ShroomOneUp.6913
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'll get 20 more AP if I do just 17 more dungeons to finish that repeatable achievement and I still am having trouble wanting to run that many pugs this week.  Partly because I've been suffusing a runestone and gathering what I need to start on my third set of armor, but mostly because I no longer enjoy dungeons enough to do them for their own sake (I remain very happy to assist friends who are new to them).

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

These days, people either survive by playing the stacking game and being bloated over with supportive effects, or they die trying to do so. And when they die, they look up to see, if there's any cheese to be had (which there is).

I rarely meet anyone who still wants to do the old content the way it once was supposed to be played. Most people I've met in the last years were just "get in quickly, get stuff done quickly, get out quickly".

You can probably prevent people from looking up how to cheese something by giving the explanation yourself before the encounter starts. At least, that's how I did my last Lupi. I didn't even know about getting him stuck in the wall, so I mentioned the grubs and targeted them when they came up. We ran around ressing each other cause I forgot about half of the other mechanics, but we managed to get it and no one looked up how to cheese it in the mean time. 

• Confused 2

Arah was the original difficult end game content.  I am glad after all the years of power creep it still proves a good challenge for some players. 

Now I only wish they make better rewards for these rush events. I still wish they would add knife tail bounties or reward unlocks to them so even vets have something to be excited about getting. Sorry massive amounts of currency for skins I already have and 150 aa does not excite me.

19 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Kinda crazy that mobs actually did dmg at one point in time. The mobs in Arah slap. 

I wish enemies would still be an actual threat. 

I think Dungeons are fine for damage. Anet could add a challenge mode if they want but the base difficulty is fine for new players. We wiped many times even on the story mode dungeons when we were first doing them a couple of years ago with our level 40-50 etc characters in green gear of different levels with no matching runes etc.

Don't balance them for vet players in full L80 exotic/ascended end game L4 Fractal/Raid/Strike builds. That would be a terrible mistake!

• Like 3

i started playing ele recently and decided to try and authentically do dungeon story while levelling... did anet actually run a dungeon before making this event? a couple of endgame chars joined and oneshot every boss. is there even level scaling in story mode? something seems off here.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fipmip.7219 said:

i started playing ele recently and decided to try and authentically do dungeon story while levelling... did anet actually run a dungeon before making this event? a couple of endgame chars joined and oneshot every boss. is there even level scaling in story mode? something seems off here.

Level sclaing is kind of weird , you have some classes who have flat +x% crit. chance (those stats are not scalled) who completely unscal the dungeons , like necro or revenant with correct stuff can clearly have a decent crit. chance , who was obvioulsy not doable when game started , not to mention elite spec + 3 traitlines instead of 1 or 2 who completely mess up with the hp of mobs there.

But was a nice sentiment of nostalgia , especially ascalon path 2 or 3 (didn't remind) where you have to teamwork to grab limon mobs with a ghost buster rifle , one lifting it up and one dragging it to a trap , but yeah i personnaly like to rush them , cause 90% of dungeon content is boring and rewards are not interesting at all.

2 hours ago, Fipmip.7219 said:

Dungeons were made "for" core game, we had plenty of power creep like especs, new weapons, new boons, better attribute combinations on gear and so on. Level scaling or not, dungeons weren't really made for the current state of the game.

• Like 1

Since I didnt play in vanilla I never did the original dungeon experience. I feel I missed on that dungeon crawl experience I really like. I love it when I play with a group of veterans in Arah and see all those borderline exploit skips. 

• Sad 1