Guild wars 3

12 hours ago, uberkingkong.8041 said:

Guild wars has already moved on from the previous game.

It was successful, whatever they reason, whatever their thought process was then, they should be using that thought process.

People seem to look at the negatives too much, like the games that failed.

Everyone forgets this is Guild Wars, Guild Wars already has proven successful track record, look within on what to do, not others.

Everyone forgets too, Guild Wars 1 was huge, very successful, it was #esports, it was not slowing down, and they made GW2 while that was happening.

It's not like GW1 was doing poorly and forced to switchover. Whatever their thought process or reason to goto GW2, they look within.

Looking at other MMORPGs and deciding information off of them, is a bad idea. Just because they all do one thing or do not something. Doesn't mean thats how it should be.

GW2 is innovative, does things against the norm. Ex. GW1 to GW2.

MMORPG lifespan, why does everyone look at everyone else and assume things. Norms change. Technology faster, what that mean? Your on Windows7. Technology is moving quickly. What do you do? In order to upgrade what happens? Your on an old technology stack, 2012. Whats a good thing to do? Just because no one else has done something, or not many others done it. Or someone has done it and failed.

GW1 to GW2 remember that. GW1 very successful, was not slowing down. GW2 happened. GW2 is doing great since GW1 transition.

So need to within. At successes not other peoples/companies failures.

Also NOTE:

If money is the main culprit, like people think anet is struggling with money and need to do stuff to make money.

Look at Diablo3 expansions. Not much copies sold.

Now Diablo4, 10 million copies sold.

Do you think Diablo3 expansion 2024, would draw in 10 million?

Do you think Diablo4 expansion 2024 would draw in 10 million?

Wheres the 10 million from, what brought in 10 million, whats the reason.

New game, New version.

Not no GW2 2024 expansion, 950k copies sold.

Its more like GW3 10 million copies sold.

New game draws in interest, expansions are not as interesting. So if money is the issue

New game = 

new foundation/up to date

fresh code, fresh, no bugs hindering advancement and what not

fresh database, no strange connections making it difficult to do fancy things

fresh start for everyone, MMORPG players, video gamers in general, fresh starts are fun

Wheres the data?

WoW, classic. What is it. Fresh start basically it.

EQ, TLP. What is it? Fresh start

Lots of data supporting new games = lots of copies sold = lots of players playing

Fresh start = You gonna be on the next WoW classic start? EQ TLP start? = lots of interest

Fresh start is not just game redoing it, it can be GW3. New game is fresh start samething.

Also note, its not good thing to do new game constantly.

WWE 2K23 WWE 2K24, no one likes that. So its something algrothim reading your audience. what they want, expectations. community is not dumb.

WWE 2K23 WWE 2K24 basically same game, same foundations not much new but considered a 'new game' but they make you charge full price and people notice and are not dumb.

So I would not advise MMORPGs to start trying a new game every year trend.

MMORPG lifespan need think about it.

GW1 to GW2 whatever they thought process was, whatever they were thinking, thats the secret sauce.

I believe there is a lifespan, all it takes whoever gonna do it in a big way and set the trend, do it successfully. (GW1 to me IS an MMORPG, so GW1 to GW2 is a successful use case)

Who else but GW1 to GW2 thought process people and how to go about the transition too. As in GW1 is discontinued. Why, why not continue? Best for the brand. Well GW series is looking good in the aftermath it was good move even though GW1 was doing very well. GW series basically lost #esports but the brand, the game continues. GW series.

Reaper of Souls sold 30 million copies

25 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wars-3-confirmed-to-be-in-development-though-it-seems-its-still-in-its-early-stages-updated-2000130976

ANet was approached and gave a non-answer, indicating they aren't authorized to talk about it or otherwise blindsided by the announcement and don't want to talk about it.

Sounds like that ANet wants to let NCSoft do the talking as they were the source of the information and ArenaNet did not want to announce the game just yet.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Minor shower thought:

I wonder if the CFO may have done this intentionally as a publicly coded message to ANet to produce something of value soon. If he is getting fire for ANet and their product not performing, calling them out publicly might have been intended as a wake up call to them. Would explain why he focused so much on noting ANet's "unprofitablity" and emphasizing a pretty clear framing of GW2 and GW3 as ANet's responsibility.

It also conveniently sets him up to throw ANet under the bus in a year or two if revenue continues to stagnate.

I legit can't wait for the 2034 documentary spilling all the tea on NCSoft-ANet tensions.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

So now they know that we know. Of course that means that we know that they know that we know. However. Knowing that someone knows something isn't the same as knowing what someone knows.  Now, there is no knowing if what little we know is actually useful knowledge.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Zebulous.2934 said:

So now they know that we know. Of course that means that we know that they know that we know. However. Knowing that someone knows something isn't the same as knowing what someone know  Now, there is no knowing that what little we know is actually useful knowledge.

Catcher Block : But you know you have to, and you know I know you have to. I'm sure you know how things are at KNOW ever since your new NOW.

Barbara Novak : I have no way of knowing how things are now at KNOW. I knew how things were at KNOW before NOW.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

I really hope that GW3 is just GW2 upgraded with a new engine, like Overwatch 2 or Counterstrike 2. Same game but with more. A lot of players will quit GW2 and be very reluctant to spend money on it if it all their purchases will be nullified with the next game.

Edited by hellsmachine.4085
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Batalix.2873 said:

Catcher Block : But you know you have to, and you know I know you have to. I'm sure you know how things are at KNOW ever since your new NOW.

Barbara Novak : I have no way of knowing how things are now at KNOW. I knew how things were at KNOW before NOW.

I always thought it was a FRIENDS thing

They did this joke too

• Confused 1

GW3 would be a seperate game, so any investments in GW2 will be in GW2. The game will live on even if GW3 is out. 

I dont understand this feeling that we wasted our time just because 3 comes out. 

GW2 will get to a point when its considered finished, not abandoned, but finished. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, hellsmachine.4085 said:

I really hope that GW3 is just GW2 upgraded with a new engine, like Overwatch 2 or Counterstrike 2. Same game but with more. A lot of players will quit GW2 and be very reluctant to spend money on it if it all their purchases will be nullified with the next game.

I think that most likely, a GW2 remaster. Why announce 2 more expansions if you plan on moving on. 

Maybe what happens is GW3 will redo core Tyria but leave the living world and expansion alone, making them something like a vision of the past. 

I also don't see them abandoned all the cosmetics they have created, an unreal GW3 could run on phones too. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Mell.4873 said:

I think that most likely, a GW2 remaster. Why announce 2 more expansions if you plan on moving on. 

Maybe what happens is GW3 will redo core Tyria but leave the living world and expansion alone, making them something like a vision of the past. 

I also don't see them abandoned all the cosmetics they have created, an unreal GW3 could run on phones too. 

I hope you're right and if so I hope anet announce it soon, so that people will continue spending money on GW2 with confidence. There's no doubt that the news of GW3 will hurt current GW2 cash shop sales.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Snip

But now we're back on course with frequent expansions, frequent new map releases and frequent story releases I'm quite happy about the state of the game.

Snip

sure we get it more  frequent but it worse quality and quantity

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wished for Guild Wars 3 for like 2 years. This is great news for me. I had my thousands of hours of fun in GW2 but I’ve stopped logging in the last months. Last EXP is boring small and grindy. The graphics are really outdated in 2024. I want something built on UE5

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

Its pretty obvious they're pouring resources into something else. SotO is awful on both quality and quantity.

When SotO was announced some people said this and were spammed with confusion emotes.

Everyone, or almost, that made both gw1 and gw2 are gone, so gw3 will be something different and if the last xpacs are an indication, for worse. I mean just imagine a game with classes made by this balance team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

sure we get it more  frequent but it worse quality and quantity

If they do plan on eventually turning GW2 into GW3 then it makes sense they don't want to spend to much effort on the older engine

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kanok.3027 said:

This exactly. Some people here are doomposting because it suits them. The servers aren't shutting down. The game isn't simply going away. On top of that, NONE of this was ArenaNet. This was NCSoft, their bosses. Hell, a friend of mine hazarded a guess that ArenaNet probably had no knowledge about any of this until we did. Pretty sure they were just as surprised as we were. NCSoft has pulled some bull in the past and this is no different. You all that are overreacting need to chill.

Is not the same. GW1 is not a real MMO. GW1 you can play alone without anyone with your AI friends. The amount of content in GW1 is not even comparable to GW2
In GW2 you need people to do group events, so yes, with GW3 people will only be able to play the personal story of GW2, it's sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

I'm in the process of finishing the Obsidian Heavy Armor Set. I will have 10 legendaries when this is finished, the armor set accounting for 6 of them. I'll say it bluntly, if they announce Guild Wars 3 and don't allow for legendaries to be carried over, I'm done with Guild Wars 2. At the point of announcement it will just be counting the days for this game to go on life support. I won't invest this much in Guild Wars 3. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

And also now that we are on this point they should clarify whats the unnannounced project they have been working on since summer 2022, if its not GW3 (which it is).

Why exactly should they do that? Why talk about things that may never see the light of day or are so far from releasing that anything they can tell us about it now may be different when it is ready for release in a couple of years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/28/2024 at 1:23 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Let's kittening hope gw3 is not happening. 

If we get a official information from Anet that gw3 is in development, i probably stop playing gw2. 

No point. 

Also, I'm not gonna start a new MMO again. 

Seriously. I was looking forward to tonight's raids with my guild. 

But now I don't even feel like login in. 

That's exactly what I think too, Anet didn't live up to their own company philosophy about Guild Wars if Guild Wars 3 was to be released. The transition from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2 was a joke, what is this nonsense? You got nothing but some very ugly junk skins.
Do they think it's like Call of Duty or FIFA where you always have to release a new game? XD This is a MMORPG, I don't want to farm this kitten anymore and then start again from 0 in Guild Wars 3, then you can rather play WoW, why should I still stay in Guild Wars then lol, at least in WoW I keep everything I farmed regarding skins etc. and my money spent wasn't spent in vain

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, broadaxe.7246 said:

That's exactly what I think too, Anet didn't live up to their own company philosophy about Guild Wars if Guild Wars 3 was to be released. The transition from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2 was a joke, what is this nonsense? You got nothing but some very ugly junk skins.
Do they think it's like Call of Duty or FIFA where you always have to release a new game? XD This is a MMORPG, I don't want to farm this sh** anymore and then start again from 0 in Guild Wars 3, then you can rather play WoW, why should I still stay in Guild Wars then lol, at least in WoW I keep everything I farmed regarding skins etc. and my money spent wasn't spent in vain

to me wow is painful to look at, just because of their outdated engine. gameplay is also outdated, boring and stiff. but addicted players probably don't care about this

Edited by Chaos God.1639
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Herz des Tigers.3275 said:

I'm in the process of finishing the Obsidian Heavy Armor Set. I will have 10 legendaries when this is finished, the armor set accounting for 6 of them. I'll say it bluntly, if they announce Guild Wars 3 and don't allow for legendaries to be carried over, I'm done with Guild Wars 2. At the point of announcement it will just be counting the days for this game to go on life support. I won't invest this much in Guild Wars 3. 

Why should gear be carried over? GW3 will be a completely new game and 10 legendaries are really not much tbh. I have 72 legendaries. I don’t want them carried over because this is not how it works. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 5
  • Confused 9