Black Lion Statuette

Palador.2170

@Fiontar.4695 said:

@Fiontar.4695 said:The idea was admirable, but the costs are ridiculously outrageous. Adding insult to injury, these take up a guaranteed slot and the mini takes up a guaranteed slot, so you only get two rolls at something on the actual random loot table.

Not true, you can get up to 5 items now.

I opened my freebee. Statue takes a slot, mini takes a slot, only two slots for rolls on the loot table. Explain how you get five.You get five the same way you've been getting four for a while now.

You have a chance at getting an uncommon extra item. You had 2 slots from roll and one chance for uncommon.2 guaranteed + 2 rolls + 1 chance for extra uncommon roll

Actually, these are worse than I realized. Thank you for making me read the fine print.

Each chest offers a guaranteed black lion statue, a guaranteed mini jackal, two random commons and a (slim) chance at a single role on the loot table for items of greater rarity than common! This is horrible!

So let's see, the gold standard is Overwatch loot boxes. You get four full rolls at the full loot table and, yes, you can get very luck and end up with four rares or super rares from a single chest. On the loot table is random currency awards that let you buy any item from the loot table directly. In my experience, you can typically buy a rare of your choice for every ~ $30-$40 spent. On top of a fair loot table and the rewards you get from your actual rolls.

Then we have BLCs, that are probably among the least fair in any western game. They can do much better and make more money by being more fair and reasonable with their customers.

You may not think it has value, but it absolutely is better than what it was. The new item is the only change, and it's in its own brand-new slot. There is no downside vs. the past offerings. (The mini would have come anyhow. The mini is in the "seasonal" slot, which has been there for a year or so. It changes when festivals come and go.)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I feel really sad now I opened 20 chests this weekened with the 10K+2scr deal :(

Yeah, and I wish I had waiting to complete my goal of 30 characters through all the missions (i.e. getting the keys at the end of level 10's missions). But, I'm afraid it's water under the bridge.

Now, my only consideration is whether it is worth buying keys (I use real money), now that the value has gone up.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Anet is really overselling the value of the items with how many statuettes you need for each unlock. At least twice too many.

They're just avoiding altering the economy, also there is potential to get a lot more than one statuette from each chest, which means it can also take significantly less time/gems than what would take 100 chests.... all this means is that you won't go more than 100 chests without getting the thing you want.

Great to have a BL selector .. thumbs up for that.. but why another currency to store in an ever diminishing bank space issue for many of us.We already have a BL gear cog.. surely it would of been easier and better all round to have used this currency for all.

Perhaps expand the bank tabs like has been asked for and this kind of incessant need to add more and more currencies would yield a higher gemstore return as players rush to grab the extra storage on top of keys and such.

@kinjiro.3251 said:

@Cakemeister.5792 said:I'm pretty happy, it's making the home nodes a lot more affordable.

Sorry to say that this is untrue. 8400 gems to open 100 chests=2k plus gold in conversion. You can spend $105 on gems to buy keys or you can convert that to gold and buy multiple nodes on the bltc. statuettes did not make nodes cheaper by any means.

It is true. Iron nodes are now less than 1/10th the price on the market.

I used three keys earlier and was fortunate enough to get the guaranteed uncommon drop. I did get the mini jackal + BL statue + two slots AND the guaranteed uncommon drop. So, I did get a total of 5 items from one lucky black lion key, the statue is in addition to the old drop system.

@notebene.3190 said:It's a great idea. Even if you have expendable income to buy a lot of chests to try to get the rarer items, every chest you buy lets you save up for some guaranteed picks of your choice. As someone who does 'not' buy an chest (I farm my free one per week), the model also gives incentive for someone like me to buy 'some' chests, not so much to take a chance on a super nice thing as to supplement my free weekly chest with some statues to get a guaranteed item I might be interested in.

This is what I kind of enjoy. I usually pick up like 25 keys maybe 5 or 6 times a year. It's not much worse than any other annual subscription I pay. So it's pretty cool to just be able to save up, since I almost always get what I want within 25 chests.

My only gripe with these statuettes are they're still tying us to BLC. A lot of products they could be direct selling they're putting behind a larger paywall that's disguised as a better option. The only way these things are going to be worth it, in my opinion, is if you're the type that usually picks up a couple keys with most BLC updates anyway. Then every so often you won't have to buy any keys because all of the previous iterations will give you enough to have a freebie.

Well, in any case, the new black lion chests are already changing the TP dye market. With the frequent drops of dye kits (I got about 6 from the 17 keys I've been hoarding) the price of exclusive dyes in the TP has plummeted drastically.

I had been grinding gold because I really wanted some of the Primordus dyes, but Scorched was listed for 260 gold, and the others were around 190 each. A few days ago, I saw that someone had listed Scorched for 150, and I sold all my mats to buy it, and thought it was a bargain. Today Scorched is 21 gold. I would freak out about my purchase, except now I can buy a bunch of the other exclusive dyes I wanted for 20 gold or under.

@Murke.7193 said:This is the first time that I am willing to buy keys with money.

I know the loot boxes aren't a good deal, but the old system never appealed to me because I felt like I could open 1000 boxes and there'd be a good chance I wouldn't get a single thing I actually wanted. I have 0 interest in the rez stones, teleport to friends, primers, buffs and etc that most people probably appreciate, so for me they simply weren't worth it. With the recent changes, I know that if I open 10 chests I will at least get 1 makeover kit, so it isn't a waste. Now if I open 1000 boxes I am guaranteed I will get a surplus of awesome things that I actually want and maybe some other cool stuff too that I didn't even know I wanted, like the new griffon glider. I love this change.

You do realize that you can just up and buy a complete kit for less than the cost of 5 keys right?

This is how easy it is to fleece people.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Murke.7193 said:This is the first time that I am willing to buy keys with money.

I know the loot boxes aren't a good deal, but the old system never appealed to me because I felt like I could open 1000 boxes and there'd be a good chance I wouldn't get a single thing I actually wanted. I have 0 interest in the rez stones, teleport to friends, primers, buffs and etc that most people probably appreciate, so for me they simply weren't worth it. With the recent changes, I know that if I open 10 chests I will at least get 1 makeover kit, so it isn't a waste. Now if I open 1000 boxes I am guaranteed I will get a surplus of awesome things that I actually want and maybe some other cool stuff too that I didn't even know I wanted, like the new griffon glider. I love this change.

You do realize that you can just up and buy a complete kit for less than the cost of 5 keys right?

I am entirely aware of that. It is strange that was what you picked at, as my example could be easily swapped out for black lion scraps and your argument no longer applies to the point I was trying to make. I don't expect statuette prices to the be comparable to simply buying any of them in the gemstore as you get a number of things beside the statuettes. I was pleased with the change because now no matter what I get in the 2-3 other random slots, I will always be working towards something I do actually want.

The way the chests are done could still be better and there are a number of changes I would love to see. However, after years of us asking them to change the chests, this finally feels like a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately this item is meant for whales. For a casual player who doesnt want to spend a lot of money on keys (i.e. the majority of players that will be opening the customer appreciation pack) this simply takes up a slot for a potential better item and gives them something that is going to clog their inventory until they either just spend it on transmuation shards or heavy crafting bag.

I think this item was designed to clog your inventory as a reminder and to try and convince you to buy more BL keys that you otherwise wouldnt have thought of buying if this system didnt exist.

@Murke.7193 said:

I am entirely aware of that. It is strange that was what you picked at, as my example could be easily swapped out for black lion scraps and your argument no longer applies to the point I was trying to make. I don't expect statuette prices to the be comparable to simply buying any of them in the gemstore as you get a number of things beside the statuettes. I was pleased with the change because now no matter what I get in the 2-3 other random slots, I will always be working towards something I do actually want.

The way the chests are done could still be better and there are a number of changes I would love to see. However, after years of us asking them to change the chests, this finally feels like a step in the right direction.

It doesn't really matter what the item is.

You literally said that the chests were filled with garbage items and didn't appeal to you. All it took for that to change is Anet to put in a little conciliatory item and suddenly that's not a problem anymore. They're still filled with the same crap items. Now you just get a booby prize that is meant to make you feel like you didn't totally waste your money.

Nevermind the fact that the cost of the statue items are all ludicrously high assuming one has mediocre luck and only gets the single ticket. You have to open 6 just to get a single scrap of a BL ticket. That's insane when the keys still cost 125 gems a pop.

This is like realizing $10 scratch offs are a scam but then changing your opinion when told you can redeem losing tickets for $1 each.

Archived