Meta Griefing

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@"Gambino.2109" said:Oh and some mesmers have found a way to lodge themselves at a high enough distance to place a portal that leads to a quick fall.. so those with slow reaction speed would get killed.

I doubt there's much anet can do about this

Why do players automatically run for every portal exeunt they see? Use your common sense and feel out the situation. ?

I don't think Gambino is talking about people who wanted to use the portal that was dropped there. They're talking about when a mesmer (or someone with one of the portal devices/toys) drops one end of the portal at a high spot or far away and then drops the other end on top of a chest, meaning that anyone who was trying to open the chest as the portal activated would then be portaled away.

In WoW, a mage can learn to make a portal that takes people high above a crater, and they fall to their death:

Yup. I might or might not have done that to my husband before . . .

If I played a mesmer, which I should probably try again some time, I'd definitely try and learn how to position the portal exit on the very edge of a cliff, so you pop out just far enough away to fall, or whatever other horrible terrain tricks can be done.

Then I'd feel too bad about tricking someone like that and never use my knowledge for evil...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there a consumable that makes you automatically spawn a merchant when your inventory is full - the kind of thing you'd get for your character anniversary? If there is, I'd expect those merchants to spawn where the loot is most abundant: while looting after a meta.

@"ShadowGryphon.6257" said:I guess I'm just weird but I find it highly amusing that someone using the name "MoarChaos" is complaining about... chaos.

Maybe it's supposed to be read "moa r chaos". And considering how annoying those running and dazing beasts are, I'd tend to agree.

@"Daddicus.6128" said:I saw a lot of posters say to just select the target. "Select" being my generic term for a number of things, like double-click.

Please explain how. You can't just select the chest. You select an item, and the game doesn't allow you to choose which object. Whatever is "on top" is what you get.Target is the (hopefully) more precise word to use here. Click the chest (or any other interactable object you want to use) so that it is your current target. Whenever there are several interactions available, you will get the one related to your currently targeted object if that object offers an interaction and is in range.

What server is it happening on? Eu or NA?Screenshot them each time and report them if they do it too frequently, then send a ticket in with tons of SS's from that week and hope Anet temp bans them?Is it the same few people? I mean that'd make it easier. Add them to friends list to view who they are and figure out if it's the same dudes, or a lot of random kitten holes doing this.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Daddicus.6128" said:I saw a lot of posters say to just select the target. "Select" being my generic term for a number of things, like double-click.

Please explain how.
You can't just select the chest. You select an item, and the game doesn't allow you to choose which object. Whatever is "on top" is what you get.Target is the (hopefully) more precise word to use here. Click the chest (or any other interactable object you want to use) so that it is your current target. Whenever there are several interactions available, you will get the one related to your currently targeted object if that object offers an interaction and is in range.HOW?

When you target one (by clicking on it), you get whatever ANet thinks is the highest priority, or whatever is "closest". When they're on top of each other, I know of no way to target any of the other objects.

I can hit tab to target a different enemy. But I don't know of a key that cycles through objects. That's what I'm asking for.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:I saw a lot of posters say to just select the target. "Select" being my generic term for a number of things, like double-click.

Please explain how.
You can't just select the chest. You select an item, and the game doesn't allow you to choose which object. Whatever is "on top" is what you get.Target is the (hopefully) more precise word to use here. Click the chest (or any other interactable object you want to use) so that it is your current target. Whenever there are several interactions available, you will get the one related to your currently targeted object if that object offers an interaction and is in range.HOW?

When you target one (by clicking on it), you get whatever ANet thinks is the highest priority, or whatever is "closest". When they're on top of each other, I know of no way to target any of the other objects.

I can hit tab to target a different enemy. But I don't know of a key that cycles through objects. That's what I'm asking for.

Someone here mentioned that they use 'target next ally' for this sort of thing. I don't know what the default keybind for that is off the top of my head, but it might be something worth looking into in regards to this issue.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:I saw a lot of posters say to just select the target. "Select" being my generic term for a number of things, like double-click.

Please explain how.

I, personally, slowly move my mouse cursor around until the chest is highlighted and the cursor changes to the little gear symbol. I also check for the interaction text to change to "Pry Open" or "Dissolve" or whatever goes with that particular chest. Once I see it do that, I quickly click on it and then press F. Obviously, it'd be better if we didn't have to search for the right tiny spot to click on, but I can usually get by fine.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Please explain how.

I, personally, slowly move my mouse cursor around until the chest is highlighted and the cursor changes to the little gear symbol. I also check for the interaction text to change to "Pry Open" or "Dissolve" or whatever goes with that particular chest. Once I see it do that, I quickly click on it and then press F. Obviously, it'd be better if we didn't have to search for the right tiny spot to click on, but I can usually get by fine.

I tend to click-target the thing, and then click the interact thing to activate it. Moving the camera helps too.

I'm in agreement with the OP that the situation is annoying. Thanks, person who dropped a box of fun on my permanent iron node.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Please explain how.

Thank you, and to NanoElite as well. THAT is what I'm looking for. Both are hard to do (which is my point - the game itself doesn't provide a good way). But, both are helpful ideas.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Please explain how.

I tend to click-target the thing, and then click the interact thing to activate it. Moving the camera helps too.

I'm in agreement with the OP that the situation is annoying. Thanks, person who dropped a box of fun on my permanent iron node.

It really is just wrong when people do that. They know what they're doing.

However, for nodes and interactive objects, I've found they are not usually exactly on top, so moving around the node will frequently give me the option to mine/gather/chop.

But, you're right: we shouldn't have to do this.

I used to be annoyed with it back in the AB MM days when there was a mad dash to loot and change maps as fast as possible, but I eventually learnt to click the chest before pressing F if I saw one of those things in the way and never had a problem ever again. Nowadays I think it's pretty funny whenever I see one, I've yet to have any problems anymore after finding the way to get around it.

Although, needs more aviator boxes and bobblehead otherwise it's just not as funny anymore.

@Goettel.4389 said:Not saying it's not true, but I've been grinding VB/AB/TD/DS for more than a year and I've never had this problem.

Almost at 100 Octovine wins, doing the event daily, sometimes more, and at different hours, and I can testify what the OP describes does happen.

The trays of food aren't as annoying as the Mesmer portal (the exit being at the top of the drop down from the Exalted waypoint - deploy glider or crater!) or the Aviator box.

I just don't understand why people think that's funny? But as Alfred told us, some people just want to watch the world burn.....

There should be an option to report a player for trolling, with a description box.I wouldn't report someone for putting a merchant on the chest, but I really wanted to report a guy, who (with 15 of his guildies) went to meta AB on south lane just to troll and make meta unfinishable (killing octovine when other's are at 100% and not killing octovine when others can). Even people coming from other lanes to kill on their lane couldn't do it, because it was south and they kept pulling the bomb in the wrong direction...Yet eben if I wanted to report him there is no options that suits and no description box at all! It's not verbal abuse (even when they laugh about it on map chat, they're not calling anyone names or anything) and it's not scamming.

It's similiar on AB. When someone put merchant on EVERY chest in AB and they laught in map about it... it's not very funny. It's frustrating. Sure someone can do it on 1 chest as a joke (and it's possible that 20 more people also got this idea) but if it's all chests and then someone laughs about doing it on map chat I feel like I wanna murder them :P Report option would help me feel better.

Also, the priority while clickng F should be implemented long ago. It happend with merchants and chests, but it also happens when you try to res someone in raid/fractal etc and when seconds matter. You go there, try to res a friend and ... oh you got a banner (and a dead friend). Every damn time :P

• 2 weeks later...

@"MoarChaos.8320" said:After every Chak Gerent and Octovine there's a person or people that try and screw over others after the meta. They place merchants, feasts, and other interactables on the chests at the end of each meta. It's gotten to the point where it's happening at every time slot now.

Why is Arenanet allowing this with their systems? I know it's an oversight, and they wouldn't condone it, but they're allowing it and not giving us any option to do anything. I try and tell the frustrated players on the maps to just double click the chests, but why should they have to? I don't understand why there simply isn't a priority list for interactables where nodes, and chests are always first.

And if you think this is a big deal over losing one chest, you haven't seen what's happening. On Auric Basin it's slightly better, but maybe worse since they're targeting a much better chest. However, on Tangled Depths they're doing every chest since there's not as many. The other thing happening in TD that at least is avoidable is a mesmer putting a portal on the first chest that kills you if you don't deploy your glider. Now if you still think this isn't a problem I'll remind you that there's an interactable that starts a cutscene, and just by calling attention to any of this might cause a huge surge in the people doing it. That's not what I want, but it's unavoidable when talking about issues like these.

5dZth75.jpg

Arenanet please fix this mess!

Doing HoT maps are hard enough.

Can we get some help?

Map griefing and event griefing are growing.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Laila Lightness.8742 said:Sadly this is not a technical problem if they remove this trolls will find other ways to do it(maybe reduce drop rate on expresses(normal ones) would reduce this since less sources of items)

The merchant/feast drops aren't the problem. OP, you can target the chest to prioritize them over anything else within interaction range.What Anet could (and should think about doing) is giving a deadzone range for chests/vendors/merchants/TPs etc so
nothing else
can be spawned on top. But, there will always be 1 person who complains the range isn't big enough.

If you also extend this to portals might also prevent mesmers from helping in a few JPs.

@"MoarChaos.8320" said:After every Chak Gerent and Octovine there's a person or people that try and screw over others after the meta. They place merchants, feasts, and other interactables on the chests at the end of each meta. It's gotten to the point where it's happening at every time slot now.

Why is Arenanet allowing this with their systems? I know it's an oversight, and they wouldn't condone it, but they're allowing it and not giving us any option to do anything. I try and tell the frustrated players on the maps to just double click the chests, but why should they have to? I don't understand why there simply isn't a priority list for interactables where nodes, and chests are always first.

And if you think this is a big deal over losing one chest, you haven't seen what's happening. On Auric Basin it's slightly better, but maybe worse since they're targeting a much better chest. However, on Tangled Depths they're doing every chest since there's not as many. The other thing happening in TD that at least is avoidable is a mesmer putting a portal on the first chest that kills you if you don't deploy your glider. Now if you still think this isn't a problem I'll remind you that there's an interactable that starts a cutscene, and just by calling attention to any of this might cause a huge surge in the people doing it. That's not what I want, but it's unavoidable when talking about issues like these.

5dZth75.jpg

Arenanet please fix this mess!

When we had a similar problem in Queensdale, back in the day... It was caused by the "meta" people being unsocial with others.. yelling at people for "screwing up the meta" and etc. There's more to the game than just the events.

Be nice to the people who don't want to "meta" and this may go away. ( No, I don't do these events. )

Archived